Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That other guy that stole a plane was also an airport worker. Clearly the solution is to chain every airport worker to the machine they work on to make sure they can't steal any planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

He safely landed a Beechcraft so if nothing else at least we can confirm he's not a doctor

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shame on an IGA posted:

He safely landed a Beechcraft so if nothing else at least we can confirm he's not a doctor

:drat:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

shame on an IGA posted:

:discourse:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

excellent

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

shame on an IGA posted:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

shame on an IGA posted:

:vince:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lol!

https://i.imgur.com/MUlqHCv.mp4

:iiam:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

eeey, I'm walking' here!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

This is what happens when the plane starts on a treadmill and the treadmill drops away.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

This is what happens when the plane starts on a treadmill and the treadmill drops away.

How much do you tip your waitstaff if the plane is on a treadmill?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How much do you tip your waitstaff if the plane is on a treadmill?

Depends, is the wait staff also on the treadmill?

:ninja:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Clearly the child holding its string is hiding. Nefarious! We must demand a stop to these meddling kids!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Do you have to pay extra if you want the banner to hover?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Came here to post this. Good show.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Piper cub dude trying to make an extra buck? My dad always talked about how they’d fly backward, given enough headwind.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Red six does not seem to be having a good time off it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SR-71 instructor pilot giving a literal first-person explanation/tour of the SR-71B's backseat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7lO3Z7avI

At 1:49 there's a label that literally reads TATTLE TALE BOX.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 4, 2022

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

BIG HEADLINE posted:

SR-71 instructor pilot giving a literal first-person explanation/tour of the SR-71B's backseat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K7lO3Z7avI

At 1:49 there's a label that literally reads TATTLE TALE BOX.

Neat to see more of NASA's tradition of cute irreverant labels for one-off things, like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
And:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Otteration posted:

Piper cub dude trying to make an extra buck? My dad always talked about how they’d fly backward, given enough headwind.

There's a handful of Cubs (and Cub clones of some sort) that fly in/out of the airfield across the street from my house on a regular basis.

Even on calm days they seem to be moving slower than the 50mph road traffic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Here’s the first J3 checklist google came up with: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56ec2e722fe1315b8c7a7551/t/5ae0c46c03ce64e139fadb82/1524679788505/NC6128H+Checklist.pdf

Cruise 73 mph
Top: 83 mph
Stall: 39 mph
Best glide: 50 mph
Approach: 45-55mph

Normal climb is 55 mph

So, yes traffic on a 50 mph speed limit road is likely to be faster than a J3 cub doing stuff at very low altitude (ie approach to land/climb)

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

vessbot posted:

Neat to see more of NASA's tradition of cute irreverant labels for one-off things, like:

No pic but another one I heard from a retired shuttle pilot/current Aero Spacelines pilot was that the shuttle landing checklist dryly notes that ensuring landing gear is lowered is crucial for reducing wear on the runway

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HookedOnChthonics posted:

No pic but another one I heard from a retired shuttle pilot/current Aero Spacelines pilot was that the shuttle landing checklist dryly notes that ensuring landing gear is lowered is crucial for reducing wear on the runway

It's an important note when your divert is half a continent away.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

HookedOnChthonics posted:

You just reminded me of this banger from essentially the Shuttle POH (https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/390651main_shuttle_crew_operations_manual.pdf):

quote:

WARNING
It is very easy to overshoot maximum drag
while flying high energy entries. It is better
to be high energy at TAEM interface than
to be at TAEM interface without wings.

And then there's this shorter training document (https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/383447main_intact_ascent_aborts_workbook_21002.pdf) just about entry and descent, which I read most of it, and it had like 10 amazing quotes that I had compiled into a text file, which now for the life of me I can't find :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/raf_luton/status/1566362295709605890

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

lmao for many reasons

edit: Aeronautical Insanity: the most environmentally friendly way to deliver semi-nuclear bombs to baddies.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 5, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd have gone with "fusion bombs" myself to rope in the theoretical physicists.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 5, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wtf is a semi nuclear bomb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

Truth be told, all bombs are nuclear bombs insofar as they contain atoms. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

A fizzle?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd have gone with "fusion bombs" myself to rope in the theoretical physicists.

But that’s be something vaguely correct so wouldn’t be appropriate.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

I STILL get momentarily like “WTF?!? No!” on these :lol:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

A fizzle?

But that’s be something vaguely correct so wouldn’t be appropriate.

True fusion bombs are still theoretical and last I read their yield would be so close to 1:1 with current technology as to make them worthless as a weapon. As I'm sure you're well aware, thermonuclear bombs need fission as a trigger to jump-start a fusion reaction. That'd be the hook to get the physicists to angrily :goonsay: in the replies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That sound you just heard was the collective aneurysms of thousands of SNP members.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
gently caress...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...obox=1662360559

quote:

Private jet flies across Europe into Baltic Sea after losing radio contact

Fighter jets scrambled to make contact ‘saw no one’ in plane carrying family of three from Spain to Cologne

The flight path of the Cessna 551, from Spain across France and Germany into the sea off the Latvian coast.
Photograph: Flight radar 24

A private jet carrying four people that was due to land in Germany but which continued to fly across Europe as air traffic controllers tried unsuccessfully to make contact crashed off the Latvian coast, authorities said.

The jet “was flying between Spain and Cologne but when it changed course, air traffic controllers were not able to make contact”, the Latvian civil aviation agency said in a statement.

The German newspaper Bild said that the plane had reported shortly after takeoff that there was a problem with pressurisation in the cabin.

Fighter jets from Germany, Denmark and Sweden were scrambled to try to make contact with the crew in the air as the plane continued to fly across northern Europe, “but they saw no one”, Swedish search and rescue operation leader Lars Antonsson told AFP.

The plane, an Austrian-registered Cessna 551, flew over Swedish airspace in the Baltic Sea before crashing into the sea off Ventspils just before 8pm (1800 GMT).

The plane flew relatively steadily until it neared the Latvian coast, when it rapidly lost altitude. It crashed “when it ran out of fuel”, Antonsson said.

The nationalities of the four onboard were not immediately known. German media said the passengers were a family of three – a man, a woman and their daughter – in addition to the pilot.

“Rescue teams with boats and helicopters from Latvia, Lithuania and Sweden are working at the crash site,” the Latvian aviation agency said.

“No human remains have been found,” Antonsson added.

It is not known what caused the plane to fly off course.

“We have no explanation at all, we can only speculate” about what happened, Antonsson said, “but they were clearly incapacitated onboard”.

Agence France-Presse and Associated Press contributed to this report.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

off.

quote:

Fighter jets from Germany, Denmark and Sweden were scrambled to try to make contact with the crew in the air as the plane continued to fly across northern Europe, “but they saw no one”, Swedish search and rescue operation leader Lars Antonsson told AFP.
How could this be possible? Even if there was a depressurization, wouldn't people pass out in their seats? Or was everyone including the pilots having a party in the cabin when it happened?

:eyepop:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

mobby_6kl posted:

off.

How could this be possible? Even if there was a depressurization, wouldn't people pass out in their seats? Or was everyone including the pilots having a party in the cabin when it happened?

:eyepop:

Blancolirio says that the cabin will frost/fog over if you lose pressure (and therefore also climate control) at altitude.

(He also said the fighters saw "no movement", not "noone", in the cockpit, don't know where he got that from.)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

When the learjet carrying Paine Stewart lost pressurization and crashed I believe the fighter pilots sent to intercept the plane reported that the windows of the airplane had iced over and that they couldn't see either the pilots or the passenger. maybe that happened here too? Either way RIP :(

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Genuine question: shouldn't planes be smart enough to be able to bring themselves down in altitude in the case of depressurization? Like obviously we're not at "autopilot land the plane" yet but you would think they could step down in altitude to at least theoretically allow someone to recover.

I know I'm making it sound easier than it is but also doesn't seem impossible or even improbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ranbo das posted:

Genuine question: shouldn't planes be smart enough to be able to bring themselves down in altitude in the case of depressurization? Like obviously we're not at "autopilot land the plane" yet but you would think they could step down in altitude to at least theoretically allow someone to recover.

I know I'm making it sound easier than it is but also doesn't seem impossible or even improbable.

I think there are systems out there that can do that, but the bigger problem is that depressurization can kill you faster than it takes to get down, especially if it happens too fast to get your masks on.