Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I liked the mystery box scam, that was a good month of entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bengy81 posted:

I liked the mystery box scam, that was a good month of entertainment.

Let’s not also forget coupon fun. My head canon will not allow for the KFC log story to not be true.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I heard the KFC log story on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me around the time it happened so either it's real or NPR writers are goons.

Assuming it's the story where someone burnt a log in a non-ventilated space.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I heard the KFC log story on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me around the time it happened so either it's real or NPR writers are goons.

Assuming it's the story where someone burnt a log in a non-ventilated space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDzdM53j41E

LOL I actually found reviews of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLObifynOxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjkphI5G-Q

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's good that the people who started the cesspits were tossed overboard and/or banned from SA though.

This is good; however, it is bad that this action inadvertently led to the election of Donald J Trump

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eason the Fifth posted:

This is good; however, it is bad that this action inadvertently led to the election of Donald J Trump

No trust me a certain NY Times reporter is far more to blame for that.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.businessinsider.com/bed-bath-and-beyond-cfo-found-dead-insider-trading-lawsuit-2022-9

quote:

Bed Bath & Beyond CFO who died after falling from NYC high rise was subject of insider trading and fraud lawsuit just before death, documents show

The incident occurred less than two weeks after the executive, 52, was named in a federal class-action lawsuit on allegations of federal securities fraud, insider trading, and breach of fiduciary duty, according to court documents.

Arnal is cited in the suit along with activist investor and GameStop chairman Ryan Cohen, who the lawsuit claims collaborated with the CFO in a "fraudulent scheme to artificially inflate the price of Bed Bath & Beyond's publicly traded stock."

The suit, filed in United States District Court for the District of Columbia on August 23, claims that Cohen and Arnal provided "materially false statements regarding the financial condition and holding situation" of Bed Bath & Beyond for their financial benefit. The lead plaintiff is investor Pengcheng Si.

"The defendants, knowing that the information they disclosed was false, took advantage of the inflated stock price and used fraudulent and misleading SEC filings to sell all their [Bed Bath & Beyond] shares and options at artificially inflated prices to unsuspecting and innocent public investors and then retained control of the profits," the suit states.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeesh. That's terrible.

Yeah you'd think a rich person would have the means to kill themselves without ruining the day for the laborer who has to clean up the mess.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It's amazing how many of the most toxic cesspits on the internet can be directly traced back to SA.

We're like an internet body builder. We bulk as we innovate, then we cut when we ban the sociopaths that resulted.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow if he wanted to insider trade why didn't he just get elected to Congress?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

Wow if he wanted to insider trade why didn't he just get elected to Congress?

That requires you to be both corrupt and mostly bad at your job.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

I think he was part of the team that got rid of those 20% off blue coupons. You know the thing that was a staple of BBB and was great advertising, so don’t undersell his talent.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

A fraud conviction would have qualified him for republican leadership though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nystral posted:

What EDR solution does the USG use? AFAIK the biggest players in the market are all founded / developed by Israelis.

Increasingly, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.

As an incident responder, it's what I prefer my clients use! It's genuinely a good, useful product that makes my work much faster and easier.

Now if MS could stop letting their marketing people rename it every week, that would be great.

This weekend I'm working an incident where the client used Vmware Carbon Black. Not only did it not help and not alert them to anything bad happening, I had to drive six hours to pick up the compromised device from the client. If they'd been using Defender for Endpoint I'd never have had to leave my office. #%!@$!$$!#$!#!!@!#@!@#@!@ rip my weekend

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 5, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The USG hasn't standardized on an EDR. Under the cyber executive order there is going to be a short list of EDR solutions that satisfy the order's new infosec requirements that FCEB can then choose from.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soylent Pudding posted:

The USG hasn't standardized on an EDR. Under the cyber executive order there is going to be a short list of EDR solutions that satisfy the order's new infosec requirements that FCEB can then choose from.

Yeah I should be clear here, my statement is purely anecdotal, I'm just seeing Defender for Endpoint as increasingly prevalent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah Defender isn't a bad EDR especially if its properly tied into the AzureAD console.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah Defender isn't a bad EDR especially if its properly tied into the AzureAD console.

The first time I used it that way it felt a little like living in the future, ngl. Going from having to physically pull hard drives out of every machine to "here's a web console and a query language with pretty good alerting on every machine joined to the domain" and being able to remotely investigate files or isolate/contain the device entirely was, um, wow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

The first time I used it that way it felt a little like living in the future, ngl. Going from having to physically pull hard drives out of every machine to "here's a web console and a query language with pretty good alerting on every machine joined to the domain" and being able to remotely investigate files or isolate/contain the device entirely was, um, wow.

Yeah its on part with Crowdstrike for most things. Honestly if properly configured one of the better EDR systems out there.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Keys to this video:

It's in India
The event is called London Bridge
It's at a fair

London Bridge is falling down
falling down
falling down

my fair

https://twitter.com/DeMoeRoberson/status/1566519775941087235

lawsuits

https://mandynews.com/amusement-park-ride-in-india-breaks/

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Of the ones I've personally used, I love HX and loving hate Tanium.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently there is a stabbing rampage going on in Canada.

At least 10 dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/americas/saskatchewan-canada-stabbing/index.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Keys to this video:

It's in India
The event is called London Bridge
It's at a fair

falling down
falling down

my fair

https://twitter.com/DeMoeRoberson/status/1566519775941087235

lawsuits

https://mandynews.com/amusement-park-ride-in-india-breaks/

Ah yes, my favorite ride, the Spine Crusher.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn scammers. I'm still waiting on my fiesta cat plushies.

I'm not over it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Navy's solution seems to be, like antivirus, "all of them at once, one stacked on top of the other".

loving 6+ GB of memory usage before you even run any programs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Navy's solution seems to be, like antivirus, "all of them at once, one stacked on top of the other".

If all the RAM is consumed by security bloatware there won't be anything left to run malware :mil101:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

* VDI instance only allocated 4 GB of RAM to 'save' on 'hosting costs'

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Swapping in and out of those remaining 2GB, each AV with a disk filter driver filtering on every page fault from swap.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Soylent Pudding posted:

If all the RAM is consumed by security bloatware there won't be anything left to run malware :mil101:

No poo poo, the running joke is "how would we be able to tell if we have a virus, because there's no way it could possibly make these computers run even worse than they already do". Taking 30+ minutes just to log on and try to open an email.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Continuing on the Chile thread from the page before, the proposed constitution was resoundingly rejected by a margin of almost 24 points:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/05/chile-votes-overwhelmingly-to-reject-new-progressive-constitution

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, my favorite ride, the Spine Crusher.

pro move by the dude at the console to wear clothes that disappear into the crowd after walking 5 steps

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

Personally I blame vilerat's mom

poo poo, that doesn't help

I guess the real treasure is that there are multiple completely independent cases for blaming Trump on this place

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No poo poo, the running joke is "how would we be able to tell if we have a virus, because there's no way it could possibly make these computers run even worse than they already do". Taking 30+ minutes just to log on and try to open an email.

A friend I haven't spoken with in years asked me today what my favorite things about being a civilian are, I forgot to list this.

My work laptop now is loaded to the gills with security poo poo, and I'm still logged on, connected via secure VPN reading my email in <5 minutes, it's about 1 minute if I'm on the secure network at work. Also IT fixes my loving computer if I ask them to instead of saying "it still turns on, doesn't it?" Like the ITS on the ship.

My first boat had these little palm-pilot things for us to take logs on, besides being glitchy awful pieces of poo poo in general, McAfee would boot up at midnight +/- 15 minutes, and if you were taking logs it would just delete the whole logset unrecoverably.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CBS News: 10 dead, 15 hospitalized in Canada mass stabbing attacks, police say.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/canada-stabbing-saskatchewan-deaths/

Canada has some serial stabbers on the loose.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sounds like it's time to bring Kevin "Dead Eye" Vickers out of retirement.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Started on native land huh. Might just be random but giving me bad feelings regardless

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Started on native land huh. Might just be random but giving me bad feelings regardless

Probably not random. Buncha fuckos out there who are racist against first nations people. Hell it was Canada's official policy for a long time. (U.S. is still pretty guilty of it considering how shittily they have and do treat native groups in the U.S., not sure exactly who is worse cause I'm not Canadian)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

Probably not random. Buncha fuckos out there who are racist against first nations people. Hell it was Canada's official policy for a long time. (U.S. is still pretty guilty of it considering how shittily they have and do treat native groups in the U.S., not sure exactly who is worse cause I'm not Canadian)

Canadian checking in; we had residential schools all the way into the 1990s and we've found bodies of First Nations children as late as the 1960s buried under the sites of former Catholic Church sponsored residential schools. Saskatoon's police department was kidnapping First Nations persons and dropping them in the wilderness to freeze to death in the middle of winter in the 2000s.

poo poo has always been really bad here and it continues to be bad. Last summer a shitload of Catholic churches mysteriously burned down after thousands of bodies of First Nations children were discovered on old residential school land. Nobody left of the Klan condemned it. To the right? Well... Use your imagination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1566746606396997635

Oh no!

Anyway,

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

No more Richard Kyankas :(

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1566747559779078145

Also Kiwifarms real mad about organized attacks, man who knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

lol they called SomethingAwful a good idea