Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

satellite tv?!? why i never

Never what? Anyway I changed my post before I saw yours. I was garbling incoherently.

Ps it's Freesat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got obsessed with lightning maps back when the heatwave was about to break. Yess, come, friendly lightning bolts, come gently caress us up

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Never what? Anyway I changed my post before I saw yours. I was garbling incoherently.

Ps it's Freesat.

Just being a knob about people criticising iphones whilst having one.

Another failed attempt to be light hearted, ignore me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Just being a knob about people criticising iphones whilst having one.

Another failed attempt to be light hearted, ignore me.

I haven't got an iPhone?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

posh as gently caress, full of the kind of daddy’s money idiots who don’t have the connections to bribe their way into Oxbridge

the Conservative Future was/is the biggest political society on campus

they have a polo society

He's doing Film & TV so maybe he'll make a docco about Conservative Future.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I haven't got an iPhone?

I know.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"A realistic black and white photograph of the coronation of Queen Liz Truss outside Downing Street"

Dall-E knows.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

please shut up

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Merry Trussmas everybody!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Tomberforce posted:

I highly doubt it will be merry for anyone. it seems that the one cool trick for political gamblers 8s to bet on the slightly worse option. Lmk when we are at war with France.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably wetherspoons and so on are being hit by these rises? Obviously more insulated but not immune

apparently wetherspoons have 900 pubs? Put in a conservative 50k energy price increase per pub.

900 x 50k is 45million?

am I being dumb? 45million sounds like a lot for wetherspoons to soak up given all the other stuff and I reckon most of their pubs could be seeing twice that increase.

My brother works for one of the large pub chains (not Wetherspoons) and I was chatting about it with him the other week. His chain has negotiated a blanket deal with an energy company for fixed rates specifically to keep them all open, though their energy bill is going from 8% of their expenditure to about 20% in the process.

So it's small one location businesses with no negotiating power that are going to be really shafted here.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

surely the negotiating position will just be 'either we can pay X a month, remain open and pay that amount going forward, or our business collapses and you get nothing'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kecske posted:

surely the negotiating position will just be 'either we can pay X a month, remain open and pay that amount going forward, or our business collapses and you get nothing'

Change that to "... or our business collapses and in the case of all pubs and restaurants gets picked up for pennies by a chain, which will then pay their negotiated capped price". Big chains get these leveraged prices because the energy companies can be more certain that they will be paid.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Trickjaw posted:

I highly doubt it will be merry for anyone.

You’re clearly forgetting the large numbers of people who might be freed of their torment and graced with the sweet release of freezing or starving to death

You know, Tory goals

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Scientastic posted:

You’re clearly forgetting the large numbers of people who might be freed of their torment and graced with the sweet release of freezing or starving to death

You know, Tory goals

Many people will get to participate in a heartwarming story

Seeing a vision of a prepay meter with credit on it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well, if they are going to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

...sometimes I wonder if these Tory psychopaths sit down and watch/read A Christmas Carol and realise which person in the story they are.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Well, if they are going to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

...sometimes I wonder if these Tory psychopaths sit down and watch/read A Christmas Carol and realise which person in the story they are.

Hah! They aspire to it. "Are there no prisons? No workhouses?"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
reading A Christmas Carol is antisemetic :colbert:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Oh they know....

https://mises.org/library/defense-scrooge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In defence of the character of Coldheart Fairman from the novel It Is Not Sufficient To Be Fair, One Must Also Be Charitable, he is very fair, what more should you ask for?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That reads like satire, but apparently it's serious.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

*Liz Truss scrolling through the Dunelm site looking for a live, laugh, love sign*

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TACD posted:

They won’t do anything until even the big names like Wetherspoons or Sainsbury are in serious trouble over energy prices (and probably lack of business). Then they’ll leap into action by announcing a subsidy scheme that allows dead or dying businesses to be bought at a great discount, and by this time next year 95% of UK businesses will be owned by about six brands, and our tax money will have helped them do it :waycool:
Rees-Mogg's dad literally wrote the book on how to do this. I imagine that Somerset Capital will be looking to snap up some bargains over the winter.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

gently caress me. How some people are so callous, it takes your breath away.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

gently caress me. How some people are so callous, it takes your breath away.

You grit your teeth through the unintended consequences in order to keep your child prostitutes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tomberforce posted:

:toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

You grit your teeth through the unintended consequences in order to keep your child prostitutes.

What makes you think the consequences are unintended?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

What makes you think the consequences are unintended?

Being serious I don't, just needed to make the classic libertarian joke.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

You have to love Sky news' Sophie Ridge doing her best to ignore her backing track of people chanting behind her "Tories out! Tories out!"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has it been announced yet? My moneys on Rishi sneaking it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Going to be hilarious watching all the Tories now suddenly accept everything from Truss' mouth as gospel.
Going to be great messaging having to agree that yes the rich should get richer from poor people's money.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Has it been announced yet? My moneys on Rishi sneaking it.

Nah, press still faffing about outside No10.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

You have to love Sky news' Sophie Ridge doing her best to ignore her backing track of people chanting behind her "Tories out! Tories out!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wm1-wjTkvk

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Went past a branch of Waterstones and they had Rowling's new book on sale at half price and it's still £12.50. So full price is £25, what the gently caress!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
They seem to be playing classical fusion jazz at the election results

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Interested in how Rowling's book sales look post-Terf. Have they dropped, is there now a locked in audience who'll buy any old poo poo as long as the creator is GC. Do all the terfs just repeatedly watch the transphobic IT crowd episode and laugh like braying hyenas?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Someone on radio 2 thinks they're Joe Lycett, playing this song after discussing Liz Truss:

She moves in peculiar ways
This room is nothin' more than her stage
It's so cruel
The life of the party
She'll be the death of me

It's all true

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Well, we've gone from a dissembler to a dimwit. Hello Truss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I saw the thread title and nearly got a heart attack, but really, after Trump's election I shouldn't have expected a better outcome.

So, did Rishi not win? Our media is just talking about Boris going, but I didn't saw anything about the replacement yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sunak - 60399
Truss - 81326