Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m not the one who called them Inuit

Great job avoiding your own complicity in this war crime denial by deflecting onto the person who made an honest mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hate becoming complicit in war crime denial in the Sonic thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheNamedSavior posted:

Great job avoiding your own complicity in this war crime denial by deflecting onto the person who made an honest mistake.

take your cspam brainmelt poo poo elsewhere

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol sonic owns

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

No Dignity posted:

Hate becoming complicit in war crime denial in the Sonic thread

none of this is good posting. that's why it's called war.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol sonic owns

Of all the posts, this is the one I'm reporting. Because the truth is too powerful

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Of all the posts, this is the one I'm reporting. Because the truth is too powerful

THAT'S NO GOOD

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Big the Cat doesn't like talking about how he spent the 90s publicly supporting Slobodan Milosevic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Funky Valentine posted:

Big the Cat doesn't like talking about how he spent the 90s publicly supporting Slobodan Milosevic.

He only fishes now because the system kicked him out of public affairs. Forced retirement, froggy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

For real tho what was Gerald doing in the 40s

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VostokProgram posted:

For real tho what was Gerald doing in the 40s

His birth name was Gerald von Robotnik.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

So this dropped today:

https://youtu.be/w8CeYK67vIw

I admit it takes a real lack of self-awareness to use the phrase “traditional Sonic games” when the modern series hasn’t had consistent gameplay for the past decade. So what kind of game is traditional? Boost? Adventure? Whatever the gently caress Lost World was?

game looks fun tbqh

DoctorWhat posted:

Legends Arceus has the same relationship with how the Yamato colonized the Ainu people as your average thanksgiving dinner fable whitewashes the genocide of Native Americans by pilgrims.

this seems like a stretch tbqh

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 3, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played Legends Arceus for 10 hours now and without any input from terrible internet opinions, the constant " the native tribes are nice and all but all their traditions are getting in the way of them recognizing how much they have to gain from our powerful technology" talk is, indeed, a bit iffy. I do hope that Sonic Frontiers is able to top this by going all in on the same vibes, making it into obvious satire, as Sonic explores unknown frontiers in the New World, as it were

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its supposed to be typical X fan

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am a fan of both Shadow and Sonic.

And all of their friends.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

take your cspam brainmelt poo poo elsewhere

they seem to be more of a dnd lib to me, they can keep him

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cspam is Shadow fans and D&D is Silver fans

at the end of the day, they're both Sonic The Hedgehog fans pretending to be better then the other

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

CSpam is the general dude with heterochromia who apparently grew up alongside Shadow

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

cspam is Shadow fans and D&D is Silver fans

at the end of the day, they're both Sonic The Hedgehog fans pretending to be better then the other
Didn't know D&D doesn't even exist

Obviously, C-Spam is full of Black Doomers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am a fan of both Shadow and Sonic.

Ah, a Sonadow enthusiast.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Didn't know D&D doesn't even exist

Obviously, C-Spam is full of Black Doomers

Silver fans exist. they fall into two categories:
1) People who read the Sonic comics and like him in those
2) People who just really really like Trunks (understandable)

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, the Sonic Amateur Games Expo has started, and I’ve been playing stuff. Let me preface this with a minor disclaimer:
I like 3D Sonic. There aren’t a lot of games like it, any version of it. Going fast in a 3D environment is fun. Managing that successfully counts for a ton of points. Obviously it’s better if it uses momentum well or has really good stage design or what have you, and I’ll probably mention those if present, but, again, this poo poo is my jam, so I might be a bit easy to please here.

Sonic World DX
This is a really good Sonic Adventure clone with a bunch of characters that all have their own abilities, a bunch of levels, no story, and emblems for structure. If you are familiar with Sonic World R9, this currently has less characters and stages, but what is there plays much better. Mostly. The controls feel smoother, the characters feel more varied, most of the stages feel better put together, and there are variations and extra missions for every stage. Iif you don’t mind losing the novelty of characters like Bark, Bean, Heavy, Bomb, Gun Commander, and The President, it is definitely a good upgrade. It’s even backwards compatible with stage mods, although I haven’t messed with that with the new version yet.

But the performance can be pretty bad, and before manually applying a 4GB patch I got constant crashes. It’s made in an engine from 2004 so to a certain extent this is to be expected, but it’s still an issue. Plus, outside of time trials, rank seems to be based much more on score than on time, which obviously kind of sucks for Sonic The Hedgehog. Still, good game, I’ve been playing Sonic World off and on for years now and will certainly continue to with this version.

Sonic Battle R
This is a less good Adventure-style game, with a multiplayer racing focus that you can ignore by making a private server and not inviting anyone. The open world (from Sonic Adventure 1) feels a bit empty, the controls feel a bit jank, and some stages have random rear end in a top hat things thrown into shortcuts.

But the stage selection. The stage selection is beyond compare. There are 35 stages, including the entirety of Sonic R, most of the Sonic and Shadow stages from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, some stuff from Heroes, Shadow, and Sonic 06, some stuff from Sonic and Sega All Stars, and even some random stuff from Mario Kart. If you’re actually interested in the multiplayer, or just want to play a bunch of Adventure-style Sonic levels, this is a decent way to do it. (Also even if it’s a bit jank and a bit empty, there is just something about wandering around an open world looking for poo poo that feels great, especially when it’s so amateur.)

Project Rascal
Did you ever play Sonic GT? If you have, this is basically more of that. If you haven’t, I’m gonna explain it a bit, but go play Sonic GT. It is short, and for it’s length it is better than anything else I’m going to talk about, anything else that has been in SAGE, and honestly anything 3D Sonic that Sega has made. It is very fast, but with a heavy emphasis on momentum to attain said speed, it has good level design, and some nice character variation.

Sonic GT, that is. Project Rascal doesn’t have the character creation, and the level design in this demo isn’t as good as in GT or the previous demo, there are some real dick moves in some later parts and there is no scenery. But Rascal is still an absolute joy to control, the first couple stages are still really fun, and while some bits got frustrating later on, I still had a good time. And this was playing time trial–this demo has online multiplayer so if that’s something that appeals to you I can recommend it even more. I hope this isn’t the new direction for the whole game, but even if it is I am still looking forward to it.

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion
You might know about this one, you might not. It probably doesn’t belong in this thread, or in SAGE as originally conceived, but hey, I’ve been playing it a bunch and Sonic and Tails are in it so . . .

Imagine a pretty good Super Mario Bros. 3 fangame. Now add a bunch of non-Mario playable characters, including Sonic, Tails, and (the one I’ve been playing,) Mega Man. That’s this game, there’s also apparently levels that aren’t Mario-based but I haven’t gotten to them, because there’s at least like 30 Mario levels and apparently like 200 total.

It’s pretty good.

That’s it for me talking about SAGE for now, sorry if the post is too long. I’ll definitely look at other stuff later, but I’m gonna play more Mushroom Kingdom Fusion now.

--edit: How did I type all that and forget to do links?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 5, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
def post more impressions and also please don't feel as though liking sonic needs a disclaimer, the state of this thread isn't that bad i hope

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am very sensitive to Sonic enjoying of any stripe so please give sufficient warning, thank you.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Gonna dive in to project rascal as soon as I can

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am enjoying the Sonic series. pray I do not enjoy it further

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
In Sonic-adjacent games my opinion on Spark 3 has shifted slightly after some more playtime. The game is still good, but it has some issues.

Well, one issue - the music, it just has no variety. It's not bad but hearing the same tune over and over again gets noticable after a while. Other than that the game still holds up, gonna update when I finally get around to beating it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

def post more impressions and also please don't feel as though liking sonic needs a disclaimer, the state of this thread isn't that bad i hope

I suppose it's more a warning that I'm willing to deal with more jank than some people might be.

I read people talking about how terrible Heroes and Shadow and Black Knight are, sometimes even saying they're worse than 06, and, I mean, I thought they were fine? Not incredible, and I certainly haven't returned to them as much as the good 3D Sonics or even some of the fangames (I have played so much Sonic World you have no loving idea. Also a bunch of GT, man, I should replay GT again later,) but it's like pizza. You have to gently caress up pretty bad to make 3D Sonic (the Sonic parts at least) not at least fun for the first playthrough, at least to me. (Not that it hasn't been done.)

I don't know why I don't feel the same way about 2D Sonic, gently caress, age-wise that whole style of game should probably even have more nostalgia going for me, but 2D Sonic has to be really good to actually get me excited. Actually maybe the nostalgia age is part of it--with 3D Sonic it's always "yes give me more let me see this new thing," but with 2D Sonic it's like "I could just play Sonic 3 & Knuckles again, or maybe 2 or Mania."

By the way I didn't mention this with that SAGE stuff and the whole thread was talking about it not too far back but Sonic Triple Trouble 16 Bit is loving great. There is no reason they had to go that hard with their version of Metal Sonic's theme, but I am glad that they did.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

06 > Heroes > Shadow > Black Knight

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kikas posted:

In Sonic-adjacent games my opinion on Spark 3 has shifted slightly after some more playtime. The game is still good, but it has some issues.

Well, one issue - the music, it just has no variety. It's not bad but hearing the same tune over and over again gets noticable after a while. Other than that the game still holds up, gonna update when I finally get around to beating it.

Can you draw comparisons to Spark 2? Because I didn't enjoy that game and I'd need some pretty heavy reassurances of improvements to even consider giving that guy money again

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

06 > Heroes > Shadow > Black Knight

Pretty much, but if you took out all of the gameplay Black Knight would be top of the list.

I don't like how either 06 or Heroes feel like to play, but at least 06 is funnier due to the melodramatic story, bugs, broken physics and how plain spiteful it feels in places. It's like someone made I want to be the guy by accident.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Pretty much, but if you took out all of the gameplay Black Knight would be top of the list.

I don't like how either 06 or Heroes feel like to play, but at least 06 is funnier due to the melodramatic story, bugs, broken physics and how plain spiteful it feels in places. It's like someone made I want to be the guy by accident.
imo Unleashed is much meaner. It has literal laugh-at-you-for-using-them trap springs!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

imo Unleashed is much meaner. It has literal laugh-at-you-for-using-them trap springs!

Eggmanland WiiS2 used to be the worst 3D Sonic level I had ever played.

Then someone ported Eggmanland PS360 into Unleashed.

I suppose it's possible that it was a bad port, but I assume it was a good port of the worst level ever.

Wait second worst if you include fangames, I forgot Worst Cave. Sonic World DX tip: If you like marathon mode, pick a stage you don't like. Skip that stage's encore. Clearing all encores unlocks Worst Cave, a terrible Mach Speed level I assume they left in as some kind of joke, that once took me from at least 30 lives through multiple game overs.

Really all of the Mach Speed stages are pretty bad, but there aren't many and you primarily pick stages via level select anyway. Oh hey but the origin of that level type is from 06.

06 is probably meaner if only for inventing those, but holy poo poo, Unleashed comes close JUST from Eggmanland alone.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's a mach speed stage?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm a pervert because I loved Eggmanland WiiS2. That bit at the end with the very slight slopes that's an absolute nightmare to boost over is extremely my poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I tried a bit of Sonic World. It’s alright but pretty jank. It has that classic “if you approach this scripted sequence in an even slightly different way than the developer predicted the whole thing breaks” problem in spades. Also the controls feel pretty awkward since they’re seemingly trying to be both adventure style and unleashed style at the same time. also the camera is zoomed really close and there’s no way to change it.

oh yeah and shadow feels a lot worse to play as than Sonic, which is unforgivable

VostokProgram posted:

We’re not gonna make it! Let’s speed up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5EEC_cjvFM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

*hits a wall and tumbles away at a comically fast speed*

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

VostokProgram posted:

what if 3d sonic was even harder to control than normal and hitting any part of the level geometry flying at you faster than your 360 can render it caused Sonic to scream "WHOOOAHHHOOAAH" and cartwheel over the horizon

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

That's really surprising to hear. I'm guessing all the music people who worked with Feperd on BtS/AtS moved on to better things/got tired of working with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know how it works in that fangame, you'd hope they fixed at least some of the bad ideas, but in Sonic 06 the premise is Sonic runs at full speed at all times and cannot slow down, even if he takes damage he continues tumbling ahead without slowing during the damage animation, if he runs into a wall or obstacle he takes damage (you can of course get stuck on a wall and take damage repeatedly and die), and because this is Sonic 06 instead of strafing in lanes like in Unleashed, pressing left and right changes Sonic's angle also you can't turn while jumping so if you jump without being parallel with the direction the road is going you're flying off the edge