Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/status/1566504104867770369

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

So the rather bad (even when you ignore it’s loving with canon on Galadriel and the Hobbits) RoP is being derided for both being slow and having rather derivative action scenes. (of the Witcher where such scenes work) and the creatives behind Picard have been defending it. Seriously what is it with all the writers in Hollywood being in lockstep?

By the way Worf was the good guy in the Risa Episode. Also let the planet be the wet world it’s meant to be. Sounds funner then horny swinger land.

Either they have a direct financial tie to the people making RoP (for an example in the opposite direction, see CNN trashing it for veing "too woke" while owned by the company that's making a competing fantasy series), or they're aware that their careers depend on gaslighting audiences into being unable to recognise plagiarism and garbage

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, there's a lot of RoP's defence among industry folks because of how undeniably bad-faith so much of the online criticism is. The show may well have issues - I haven't seen it yet - but it's blatantly obvious most of the huge terrible discourse online has nothing to do with the show's quality and it's being used as a vehicle.

It's one of those unfortunate situations where it's probably going to be impossible to have a legitimate critical discussion about the actual show most places for a while.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 5, 2022

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Aoi posted:

Sisko is the best captain, and he's a Kirk fan, while he thinks Picard sucks, so therefore, Kirk is better than Picard.

MikeJF posted:

Nah, there's a lot of RoP's defence among industry folks because of how undeniably bad-faith so much of the online criticism is. The show may well have issues - I haven't seen it yet - but it's blatantly obvious most of the huge terrible discourse online has nothing to do with the show's quality and it's being used as a vehicle.

It's one of those unfortunate situations where it's probably going to be impossible to have a legitimate critical discussion about the actual show most places for a while.

Mostly it seems like a boring show that copies GOT and Witcher. But I’ll admit seeing anyone involved in the abortion that is Picard defending it just puts me on full shitposter mode.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The Voyager cast seems nice

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I just saw that they have Dolphins on Lower Decks. That’s amazing to finally see Gene’s crazy vision put into practice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I just saw that they have Dolphins on Lower Decks. That’s amazing to finally see Gene’s crazy vision put into practice.

Have you not seen the show proper?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Dabir posted:

Either they have a direct financial tie to the people making RoP (for an example in the opposite direction, see CNN trashing it for veing "too woke" while owned by the company that's making a competing fantasy series), or they're aware that their careers depend on gaslighting audiences into being unable to recognise plagiarism and garbage

In my experience, hacky plagiaristic showpeople actually just think being hacky and plagiaristic is good storytelling.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Rich kids cover each other's asses

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In my experience, hacky plagiaristic showpeople actually just think being hacky and plagiaristic is good storytelling.

Turns out they’re (show runners of RoP)friends with JJ, and he suggested Amazon bring these guys whose entire credit before hand was the writing the action sequences in Beyond. Seriously can that hack just go the gently caress away? Lost was not that good of a show, neither was Alias. Why do the suits in Hollywood worship him and all of his loving orbiters.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I tried to watch Alias the other week, and I made it until they introduced their Q who's a stammering nerd who I couldn't stand for more than 10 seconds before I hit stop and found some other series to watch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't think the dolphins were Roddenberry's idea

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

ahem Lt Matt and Lt Kimolu are belugas thank you very much.

https://i.imgur.com/gC7VlWk.mp4

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 6, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cetacean ops makes me unreasonably happy

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

biology informs us we are all a Ship of Theseus but that doesn't solve the problem. our cells are constantly being replaced over time but it's unclear if destroying a body all at once and recreating it somewhere else preserves the same continuity of experience

the hard problem of consciousness is still not solved in the 24th century so it's very normal to be afraid of teleporters

Continuity of experience is an illusion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I spontaneously popped into existence a few nanoseconds ago but my brain makes me think I’ve been alive for 33 years. :)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

I spontaneously popped into existence a few nanoseconds ago but my brain makes me think I’ve been alive for 33 years. :)

i never seen you before, can't verify. could be goop clone.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A friend I have not seen since college meets me at a bar. Eyes unblinking, smile undulating, asks, "What do you think about simulation theory?"

There's only one answer he wants to hear, and it's not, "I don't."

Anyway, those belugas look snappy in their uniforms.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So relaxing to just bounce around TNG episodes and land on a good one. Just selected Second Chances which is a great Riker episode. Honestly, Riker doesn't get to many episodes in the series. There's more Worf and Data episodes than there are Riker ones.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bltzn posted:

Continuity of experience is an illusion.

Well, with that kind of attitude of course it is.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Hollismason posted:

So relaxing to just bounce around TNG episodes and land on a good one. Just selected Second Chances which is a great Riker episode. Honestly, Riker doesn't get to many episodes in the series. There's more Worf and Data episodes than there are Riker ones.

I was listening to Gates McFadden talk about the S7 episode "Genesis" that she directed. It's a silly episode, but boy am I glad I heard her talk about it, because she went as hard as she could to use props and camera shots that you can tell she had been wanting to utilize for years.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was listening to Gates McFadden talk about the S7 episode "Genesis" that she directed. It's a silly episode, but boy am I glad I heard her talk about it, because she went as hard as she could to use props and camera shots that you can tell she had been wanting to utilize for years.

I loved that episode, and it was well done creepy body horror. Didn't know she directed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

I loved that episode, and it was well done creepy body horror. Didn't know she directed.

Me neither!

That actually explains a lot as to why she just up and vanishes early on after taking acid to her face :stonk:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

She said she was determined to finally use those jars of red and blue goo, and she did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roomtone posted:

i never seen you before, can't verify. could be goop clone.

Why are you replying to someone who is already dead?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I should rewatch Genesis. As soon as I can get a copy of TNG on Blu-ray.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No, you shouldn’t.

E: gently caress, I read that as Generations. Carry on.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 6, 2022

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Generations has the best ST theme

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Generations has some rocking music and some gorgeous starship.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Generations is good because without it we wouldn't have extremely funny posts about the Nexus

Also the lifeform song.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

First Contact theme is pretty good, definitely feels hopeful and inspiring and Star Trekky.

naem
May 29, 2011

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know why they did it but the consoles on the edges of the bridge in Generations still looks so wrong.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

And who could forget little Tasha...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They gave her a purse, how nice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Someone with a new 3D printer made some to-scale little ships. :3:

https://i.imgur.com/TBkWhKm.mp4

The Cerritos is bigger than I thought.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If the second ship is indeed the Discovery then that’s absurdly large

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this thread and thought I'd mention it: Wrath of Khan has a limited release in theaters ending (I think) this week.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's rad, but I'd only deal with theaters again for space whales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Someone with a new 3D printer made some to-scale little ships. :3:

https://i.imgur.com/TBkWhKm.mp4

The Cerritos is bigger than I thought.

I think they might've overscaled the cerritos just a bit, it's meant to be a little more than 100 metres shorter than the D. Cerritos's saucer is identical in width to the Enterprise-C. But it has a lot less internal space than it seems due to not having a neck and only having a tiny pod for engineering.

Still fairly large, but it's justifiable for a support ship that probably has to haul around bunchload of supplies and gear to do its job.

Endless Trash posted:

If the second ship is indeed the Discovery then that’s absurdly large

Discovery and all the other Starfleet ships introduced in Discovery were ridiculously oversized for the era, but they'd chosen not to give a poo poo about things like that. So then they retconned the TOS Enterprise from 288m to 442m for Disco/SNW just so it wouldn't look too small next to the Discovery.

That then throws the whole scaling for Refit/Reliant and the size compared to the Excelsior out of whack but :shrug: what kind of loser cares about that nerd poo poo

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 6, 2022