Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Really liking the frontman, very Conan

Dreylad posted:

Tried to apply everything I've learned over the last year painting into one of my favourite Lumineth hero models.

This looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Dreylad posted:

Tried to apply everything I've learned over the last year painting into one of my favourite Lumineth hero models.

It's pretty nice!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I really like that new Khorne warband, the main guy has some Mayan vibes. Oh, and I'm glad they changed the art for the new battletomes, the others look very lazy with the same art as the 2.0 tomes.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Guessing he's gonna buff up Mancrushers so that you're basically choosing between Mega-Gargants or Brodd + the smaller guys.

Hope this is the case and the Warstomper gets a complete rework.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Talas posted:

I really like that new Khorne warband, the main guy has some Mayan vibes. Oh, and I'm glad they changed the art for the new battletomes, the others look very lazy with the same art as the 2.0 tomes.

I absolutely love those guys. The brutal Mayan feel is a great take for beast realm inspired Khorne.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
If they made all of khorne look as good as that warband I would consider picking them up just to paint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hoboskins posted:

If they made all of khorne look as good as that warband I would consider picking them up just to paint.

I'm already locked in. It's a shame about the various brands of trooper bloodmen not being as cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This is obviously a test bed for the Khorne revamp happening in AoS 5e.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
speaking of, the tzeentch fatemaster is gone from the store. Predictions on new model, dump to legends, or just a rebox/glitch?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...est-cursed-city
The first expansion for Cursed City has finally been announced.
Sadly no new models in this case.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh wow, I thought you meant no new models were previewed, not "here are missions based around released models you can buy at your leisure!"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think those models in question were made for Cursed City in the first place so all they are doing now is coming home in a sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There was a whole wave of displaced Cursed City models - the father daughter hunter team immediately comes to mind.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I'm glad to see they're finally coming through with the promise of CC expansions, but this is such a janky release, it's almost hilarious. Based off the Blackstone Fortress expansions, I kinda wonder if this was originally going to be the content of multiple expansions, complete with miniatures, but now that the models are released they simply combined all the paper content they would have released in separate boxes... If they wanted to include every miniature listed in the article, that would set the box price at over £120 alone (after the price increase), so there's no way they originally planned all that to be in one box.

I just wonder if this is all the expansion content Cursed City is going to get. The article is a bit vague, it doesn't frame it as "THE expansion for Cursed City," but it's also not saying "the first, with more to come." Since BSF only had four(?) expansions, not counting White Dwarf supplements, depending on the amount of generic Gravelord stuff needed to fully fill out the encounters, I could kinda see this stuff filling out 3~4 expansion boxes, with the models. The only thing missing from the BSF comparison would be new playable characters. They have the Witchhunter duo, but since those are also already released, I figure they would've just slipped those rules into this box together with the bosses, so... Maybe there will be a little more content after this?

I really hope in a decade we get some designer interview about how much of a garbage fire this project was behind the scenes.

Edit: Thinking about how scarce the BSF expansions ended up, if they don't discontinue this box after one printing, this might actually be a better way to handle expansions in the long-term, since the models are permanent additions to the faction. As long as they don't charge something stupidly expensive for all this paper...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 4, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Desfore posted:

As long as they don't charge something stupidly expensive for all this paper...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/04/sunday-preview-join-the-battle-for-middle-earth-with-next-weeks-pre-orders

Dadbod crew for Underpants is going up for pre-order next weekend. Otherwise it's mainly just LOTR stuff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rules question: For Craventhrone Guard, can the Standard Bearer also be the champion?

Wording on the unit card makes it sound like yes: "1 in every 5 models in this unit can be a Spectral Standard Bearer." and "1 model in this unit can be a Craven Huntmaster" but my friends aid you can't, is there something in the core rules preventing it?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

So, unless the rules changed in 3rd edition and I'm forgetting it, as long as the role doesn't specify the equipment loadout the model has to use, you can make a banner bearer or musician a champion. It's more like... the rules don't say you CAN'T put multiple roles on a model, so as long as nothing in the unit composition or equipment is illegal, you can technically do it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Rules question: For Craventhrone Guard, can the Standard Bearer also be the champion?

Wording on the unit card makes it sound like yes: "1 in every 5 models in this unit can be a Spectral Standard Bearer." and "1 model in this unit can be a Craven Huntmaster" but my friends aid you can't, is there something in the core rules preventing it?

A "Spectral Standard Bearer" and "Craven Huntsmaster" are two different model types.

It doesn't say that you can give one model a standard and upgrade one model to a huntsmaster. If it did, you might have a case for one model being both, but it doesn't. It says that you make one model of each a different thing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/04/sunday-preview-join-the-battle-for-middle-earth-with-next-weeks-pre-orders

Dadbod crew for Underpants is going up for pre-order next weekend. Otherwise it's mainly just LOTR stuff.

That LOTR big box is preorder September should arrive by Christmas. :stare:

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Chronomatic Cogs for this week.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/05/black-lightning-strikes-as-eternus-blade-of-the-first-prince-storms-into-battle

He kinda looks like a knock off of the classic Archaon model in a way.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The mount feels a bit off in its proportions. The head seems pretty small and something about the front limbs doesn’t look right to me.

Eternus himself is pretty good, though.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I don't like the way they paint the Verdigris on a lot of these models, but this mount has it extreme. The armor plates seem way too polished in comparison to how bright and saturated the verdigris is in the recesses. They probably can't paint it too weathered for the promo, but to me it reads as if someone's been cleaning the armor, but doing a half-assed job getting into the creases. And why is the mount's armor old and weathered, but his armor is pristine?

edit: I just noticed he has several horns on the sides of his helmet (not just the horn mohawk), and 3 nipple spikes. This is an incredibly busy model.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 5, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I would love the new Chaos stuff more if it wasn't so hugely busy. I know spikes and skulls are the aesthetic du jour for them but goddamn, imagine trying to paint any of the Chosen or this new guy.

Getting a little tired of it at this point, to be honest. If GW introduced a faction who's aesthetic gimmick was "big flat panels and clean lines" like the Tau I'd be amazed. I know that's kind of the Stormcast deal, I suppose, but I look at the Kruleboyz and wonder how on earth they get sold as a starter faction that's easy to paint.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

Getting a little tired of it at this point, to be honest. If GW introduced a faction who's aesthetic gimmick was "big flat panels and clean lines" like the Tau I'd be amazed. I know that's kind of the Stormcast deal, I suppose, but I look at the Kruleboyz and wonder how on earth they get sold as a starter faction that's easy to paint.

Prepare to be amazed

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Prepare to be amazed

I meant for sigmar, although I will say I've been tempted by the Votann a little bit. I wish they were more coherent visually though. There's a weird divide between "russian cosmonaut" and "dwarf runes and bullshit" that doesn't work for me.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

The mount feels a bit off in its proportions. The head seems pretty small and something about the front limbs doesn’t look right to me.

Eternus himself is pretty good, though.

The front legs look too short, like he would be perpetually hunched forward in a pouncing pose if on all fours and would potentially lose some freedom of movement with those armor edges going down into the space where his elbows would go during locomotion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The front legs look too short, like he would be perpetually hunched forward in a pouncing pose if on all fours and would potentially lose some freedom of movement with those armor edges going down into the space where his elbows would go during locomotion.

You’re not looking at the full legs, just the knees and below.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Deleter posted:

I would love the new Chaos stuff more if it wasn't so hugely busy. I know spikes and skulls are the aesthetic du jour for them but goddamn, imagine trying to paint any of the Chosen or this new guy.

You can make kruleboys look good with contrast paint, they're almost made for it.

The chosen don't look too intimidating to me. I'd just spray them red, paint the metals black then brass and wash them. After that you can just take your time picking out details until satisfied.

Tau are extremely fun to paint though. Fire warriors are still great trooper models and the big stuff really lets you choose the path of most or least resistance. I painted some stormcast recently in metal colour's burnt metal with some washing and they were looking fantastic in no time at all.

E: new chaos guy on dog lizard looks a bit weird on that angle, but I'm sure the model in 3d is better. Feels like it's always the way. Agree it's too busy. Those chest spikes make me wish I had three hands (to speed up painting all the bullshit).

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 6, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah it definitely seems like there are a few different design philosophies at play with GW's new stuff. Some of the sculpts have really nice, crisp silhouettes and sweeping lines that convey a lot of movement and energy (Nighthaunt are especially great, and the Mangler Squig is probably my favorite AoS sculpt of all time) and others are just "well we have the technology to cover every square micrometer of this model in spikes and elaborate detail so lets do that I guess" which makes them both a pain in the rear end to paint and really visually busy.

It's cool seeing some conversions that push that to the limit - I know the grimdark style isn't everyone's cup of tea but seeing someone take the already pretty clean, simplified Stormcast aesthetic and breaking it down even further is really cool to me.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's cool seeing some conversions that push that to the limit - I know the grimdark style isn't everyone's cup of tea but seeing someone take the already pretty clean, simplified Stormcast aesthetic and breaking it down even further is really cool to me.
Speaking about grimdark and Stormcast, I just love the way they do it in 52 Miniatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1ZeDFgLIE

Great channel in general, by the way, worth a look if you don't know it.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Speaking of making Stormcast better, I was thinking of using the 3.0 Stormcast to make an army based on Endless Legend's Broken Lords.

Design notes here.

Any hints as to what bits to buy?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Terratina posted:

Speaking of making Stormcast better, I was thinking of using the 3.0 Stormcast to make an army based on Endless Legend's Broken Lords.

Design notes here.

Any hints as to what bits to buy?

Your best bet is probably some 3rd party heads. Puppetswar has a couple that could work if you squint a bit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any idea where I might pick up the squatty looking old Nurgle Rotbringer miniature?

It was available on GW a few months ago and I made a mental note to pick one up for a dnd character, but when I looked yesterday I discovered it had been replaced by a very cool, but not the same, version that costs twice as much.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Professor Shark posted:

Any idea where I might pick up the squatty looking old Nurgle Rotbringer miniature?

It was available on GW a few months ago and I made a mental note to pick one up for a dnd character, but when I looked yesterday I discovered it had been replaced by a very cool, but not the same, version that costs twice as much.

It was retired so I'd be checking ebay or local communities. It may pop up again as a made-to-order thing in the future but possibly not for several years. If you like something in resin or metal get it before it's remade in plastic for 2x-3x more.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just picked up Arcane Cataclysm for 157 bucks. It might go lower in the future, but this price was good enough for me to buy. Seller has 3 left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3253345109...ABk9SR6af5oblYA

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

abravemoose posted:

It was retired so I'd be checking ebay or local communities. It may pop up again as a made-to-order thing in the future but possibly not for several years. If you like something in resin or metal get it before it's remade in plastic for 2x-3x more.

Yeah I should have grabbed it- a few sellers have it on eBay but for the usual premium

I may just get the new one

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just picked up Arcane Cataclysm for 157 bucks. It might go lower in the future, but this price was good enough for me to buy. Seller has 3 left.

I should resist this, but I won't at that price. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is the Lumineth half a good starting point for a Lumineth army?