Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lake of Methane posted:

lol they called SomethingAwful a good idea

"And now, you too, can pay :10bux: to post!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They're half way to a good point with the idea that no new ground can be broken in the corporate internet's parking lot, but they just can't get over the concept that the ground they're trying to break is lovely bigotry and organized harassment.

Real shame about them getting attacked in an organized fashion. Yep.....reeeeeeeal shame. Never seen the site, any chance they get hacked or insider threat-ed and every one of them gets doxxed? That'd just be the ultimate shame right there. Something something living by the sword.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
"I am being OPPRESSED for my FREE SPEECH and thus I need to compare myself to a conman and serial wifebeater"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1566750007306362881?s=20&t=3F7T4KnXt8Cc76j1uuDJ3Q

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
KiwiFarms dude has effectively facilitated terrorism and murder for years. Lowtax did have one good idea that he could copy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To add on to this he fobbited so hard the closest he got to combat on deployment was a desk job in Saudi Arabia

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

To add on to this he fobbited so hard the closest he got to combat on deployment was a desk job in Saudi Arabia

GOLD GERMAN ARMED FORCES PROFICIENCY BADGE :lol:

We used to award those as "thank yous" to partner-units from the US when we'd take them to boring-rear end shooting range trips to get their Schützenschnur (because that thing was like catnip to Americans), and got cool-rear end shooting range trips to US shooting ranges as an exchange.
Since the shooting exercises for the badge were the same as for the Schützenschnur, SOP was to have the CO of the visiting unit just provide written confirmation that the applicants fulfilled the other requirements of the badge (15km march in 120mins with 10kg ruck, basic PFT, basic NBC test in MOPP gear and a loving first aid course), and then they wouldn't have to do those in person, because they were all obviously very fit.

Like, the "hardest" part of the badge is the 15km march, but the badge itself - in gold, no less - is nothing more than a "congrats, you've stayed fit enough to be considered :airquote: a soldier :airquote:, and can pass a couple of relatively basic shooting exercises"-award, and we didn't even make visiting units do the fitness portion of it.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 5, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Of course the Bundeswehr would have its own volksmarsch badges.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It was more involved than just shooting a pistol. You also had to like throw a shotput, run a 40, and bake a perfect Roggenbrot.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duzzy Funlop posted:

GOLD GERMAN ARMED FORCES PROFICIENCY BADGE :lol:

We used to award those as "thank yous" to partner-units from the US when we'd take them to boring-rear end shooting range trips to get their Schützenschnur (because that thing was like catnip to Americans), and got cool-rear end shooting range trips to US shooting ranges as an exchange.
Since the shooting exercises for the badge were the same as for the Schützenschnur, SOP was to have the CO of the visiting unit just provide written confirmation that the applicants fulfilled the other requirements of the badge (15km march in 120mins with 10kg ruck, basic PFT, basic NBC test in MOPP gear and a loving first aid course), and then they wouldn't have to do those in person, because they were all obviously very fit.

Like, the "hardest" part of the badge is the 15km march, but the badge itself - in gold, no less - is nothing more than a "congrats, you've stayed fit enough to be considered :airquote: a soldier :airquote:, and can pass a couple of relatively basic shooting exercises"-award, and we didn't even make visiting units do the fitness portion of it.

sounds pretty sick, I'd pop it in the shadowbox if I got one

what kind of liters per capita lager consumption is required

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1566815826887458817?s=20&t=J3yQ5Y_lb4S1Y2ekTmX3Lg

We live in the dumbest timeline

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's the full horseshit order if you want to read it: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.64.0_2.pdf

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Ready for special master “John Barron” to declare all of it was illegally stolen, and to have it returned with a list of all those who wronged your favorite president, Bigly Still President Donald J Trump.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah my feed is more or less saying that it's all bullshit motivated reasoning the whole way through, and giving Donnie the benefit of half a world's worth of doubt, but ultimately doesn't matter and is just a shortish delay that the DOJ can appeal to the trumpy 11th circuit if they want to.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1566822416088719360?t=mOV7GpHIQcYX4E4ZaevD_w&s=19

Popehat:

quote:

I don’t think the absolute freakout over this is warranted. I don’t think it’s the right outcome, equitably, but numerous elements of the written decision don’t support it being the catastrophe people are saying. But there seems to be very little point in saying so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It enjoins criminal investigative use of the materials. They literally cannot prosecute based upon the materials now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

It enjoins criminal investigative use of the materials. They literally cannot prosecute based upon the materials now.

It's mostly a delay without much of a consequence, but:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1566825562781364226?t=lxofIBDwio_VIum76Cjo8g&s=19

So this goes past the level of being a dumbass superficial delay if 1) some dumbass special master is named like Rudy Giuliani or 2) the likely DOJ appeal gets slow-walked by the 11th circuit, or 3) the special master actually finds and declares a lot of material as Executive Privileged (because that's just straight bullshit that the judge decided to humor).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It isn't a delay without consequence. Six of the eleven judges on the 11th circuit were appointed by Trump and one by W. The odds of getting 2/3 non-chudge in the 11th is essentially nil, and they'll overrule anything en banc if that does happen. The question is whether the SCOTUS backs Trump, because the 11th is going to rubber stamp this poo poo. It is completely captured as well. See, for example, all of Florida's lovely laws that keep getting reinstated by them.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 5, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If social media has taught us anything it's that you're a lawyer so you have no idea what you're talking about hth

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

If social media has taught us anything it's that you're a lawyer so you have no idea what you're talking about hth

I definitely am not an expert, but I can do math. 11th Circuit judges like Lagoa that Trump put there are just as awful as Cannon. They have a 6/11 majority with a helping of a W chudge to boot. No way they overturn this order. Which means this comes down to whether or not one of Roberts or Gorsuch sides with Trump on this issue. We'll find out sometime next year.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yep, basically fuckin sucks when a circuit court is full of chudges (that's been a good term btw) and the district comes up with some bullshit that gives DOJ some real poo poo options:

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1566831000730193920?t=Egje1F3THSmxYndcpvSZfA&s=19

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No poo poo, the running joke is "how would we be able to tell if we have a virus, because there's no way it could possibly make these computers run even worse than they already do". Taking 30+ minutes just to log on and try to open an email.

Our systems are so secure even we can't operate them.

Edit: Who gets to pick the special master?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 5, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

Edit: Who gets to pick the special master?

Judge!

Donnie's team gets to submit a list plus protocols, DOJ gets to submit a list plus protocols, some haggling, then a decision. Judge also sets the boundaries that a Special Master operates in.

Thus why I pulled the tweet on the bad faith options that DOJ gets to pick from. Fun!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ericmichel/status/1566848043135242243?s=20&t=KzoOlxEQFYkPL5OM1JN7hg

Thought this was the best take

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The other is that W/Obama-era conservative legal scholars/judges have spent decades coming up with fancy doctrines, multiple-part tests, and convoluted legal reasoning. In the Trump/Biden era, those same scholars/judges are now saying "lol gently caress you", which is way more honest.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So the UK`s new PM is the lady who said fracking was the cure to all their ills, and would be back in the table the instant she has that power, right?

How long until fracking mud joins the sewage discharges in the rivers and ocean?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arrath posted:

So the UK`s new PM is the lady who said fracking was the cure to all their ills, and would be back in the table the instant she has that power, right?

How long until fracking mud joins the sewage discharges in the rivers and ocean?

Ocean, maybe. Rather optimistic to assume there's going to continue to be rivers. Empty canyons scoured clean every time there's once-in-a-century flooding sounds more likely.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like the pharmacy appointments for the bivalent COVID boosters are now online for both Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

Check your pharmacy though, around here CVS is a bit weird in that it states it's just "offering" Moderna with lots of references to scheduling bivalent boosters now but nothing explicit. Walgreens is much clearer and specifically states that the appointment is for the updated booster. Get your 6G reception y'all!

Edit: and vaccines.gov seems to be really poo poo at finding the proper locations, as there's no bivalent-only option that I'm seeing. So check through your local pharmacies.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 5, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like the pharmacy appointments for the bivalent COVID boosters are now online for both Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

Check your pharmacy though, around here CVS is a bit weird in that it states it's just "offering" Moderna with lots of references to scheduling bivalent boosters now but nothing explicit. Walgreens is much clearer and specifically states that the appointment is for the updated booster. Get your 6G reception y'all!

Edit: and vaccines.gov seems to be really poo poo at finding the proper locations, as there's no bivalent-only option that I'm seeing. So check through your local pharmacies.

Signed up for Walgreens on Wednesday, hoping that they actually will have it on hand and it's not just wishful thinking about how the supply will go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m still at a loss on why cases of critical national defense are allowed in civilian court when these crimes were done when he was leading the military.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He leads the military, but he's in every respect a civilian. It's absolutely essential that he be tried in criminal court rather than a court martial or tribunal in order for concept of civilian control of the armed forces be maintained.

Of course, just like all law and and civil theory it's all made up, but these things should continue to work this way unless we can come up with a better system.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

facialimpediment posted:

Speaking only for the US, the original booster is no longer valid for 12+, effective last week. Anywhere giving boosters for 12+ is giving bivalent. The chain pharmacies had it as soon as last Friday, when I blundered into it at CVS looking for flu shots.

slurm fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 5, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Crab Dad posted:

I’m still at a loss on why cases of critical national defense are allowed in civilian court when these crimes were done when he was leading the military.
What A.o.D. said
Article 2, UCMJ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/andrewpdyer/status/1566922372229128192?t=EAmniY4RCPf-4XR1z-fk0g&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I refuse to be surprised.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Guy runs so well you'd think he'd be fit leonard

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
50/50 chance he's hiding out underneath the bay tbh.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

orange juche posted:

this stoodge was a Captain in the Reserves, only earned a MSM(as a retirement award) and an AAM(for his work in Saudi) according to his official bio and on ig. :lol:

It's nice to know his peers have objectively done and earned more than he ever did as a LT to CPT.

CabooseRvB fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 6, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Excerpt of a thread (and link to parent article) covering the water issues in Jackson, MS. Short story, MONORAILLLLLLLL

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1567133239206203393?s=20&t=KcuksYPJDBy4YxbQb0D9tw

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Excerpt of a thread (and link to parent article) covering the water issues in Jackson, MS. Short story, MONORAILLLLLLLL

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1567133239206203393?s=20&t=KcuksYPJDBy4YxbQb0D9tw

What is the review process on behalf of a city like? Who are the civil engineers that said, "seems good let's do it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1567162011318108160?t=uvASIdlAAFUKhDmgOmAfgA&s=19

Can't wait for the couple months until ~something~ happens and it is issued again