Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Cool, I grabbed niterider solas 250 and a mount that looks like it will fit. The 250 lumens might be overkill, but I wanted something that will be visible in daylight for commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Re: working up to doing centuries.

So this is probably not as hard as you think it is. If you’re doing 40mi rides already, then think about doing a 65mi ride.Do a couple of those and there’s really not much physical adaptation needed to go another 35mi. You just need to stay on top of nutrition and hydration…force yourself to eat half a Clif bar every 30min, drink regularly. Stop somewhere for an extending break and/or eat real food. You may develop awful cramps on your first few longer rides. Shoulder, hand, neck fatigue also possible.

I dunno, just try it. Ride 50 miles in one direction and see what happens…

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have done a couple centuries, but I've learned that I really don't enjoy doing more than 60 miles or 4000 feet of climbing in a day.

So yeah try working up to it, if only to learn your personal limits. I like to know how far I can push if I need to even if I'm going to have a bad time.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 4, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tarlibone posted:

I was having some chain skips on 6th gear, so I just taught myself how to make small adjustments on the rear derailleur on the new bike. After sufficiently messing it up at first, I got it working again, and a test ride up and down the hill I live on (gently caress, my town is hilly), every gear seems nice and happy. I'm sure that skippetty-doo-dah might come back on my next long-ish ride, but if it does, I'll head to the shop to see what's up. I'm taking the day off today, but if the weather is clear-ish tomorrow, I'll be back on the saddle. (If it's not clear, I'll have to ride in side. Gotta keep up with the challenge.)

Rear derailleurs are very simple, and "easy" to get adjusted correctly. They're not so simple that you'll instantly get it right. But if you follow the directions in the park tools RD video, and sit at home shifting and adjusting the barrel adjuster for a bit, you'll get it. I do a clean and lube on my drive train first, to quiet it as much as possible. Follow the instructions in the video to get the rough setup done, so there's no more chattering. Then for the fine adjusting, go through the whole cassette while listening to how snappy each shift is. Adjust 1/8th or 1/12th of a turn when the shifting is slightly off. Repeat over and over until you can go up and down the cassette with nice and crisp shifts. Some gears will only shift at certain points around the cog, because of shift ramps. Don't spend forever trying to correct for that. And you will have to periodically re-adjust it, that's normal.

Adjusting my RD is a zen thing that keeps me in tune with how my bike sounds and behaves. There's no hidden mystical information, you can poke it for a while and adjust it just as well as any shop can. I believe in you!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info and encouragement.

The weather cleared up today in the late afternoon. It was too late to prepare for a 20+ mile ride, and it was (is still) muggy as hell after a day of light rain, so I went for a quick 6-miler on the hilly backroads. It wrecks my legs more than a 15-mile flat ride in a sprint.

The good thing is that it forces me to shift a lot, and I got some feel for how the Contend AR does in some dead climbs with no starting momentum. The shifting is great and stable, and this thing likes to climb!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

jetz0r posted:

Adjusting my RD is a zen thing that keeps me in tune with how my bike sounds and behaves. There's no hidden mystical information, you can poke it for a while and adjust it just as well as any shop can. I believe in you!

I feel the exact opposite. Currently trying to fix the shifting on my MTB and it's frustrating as hell. Indexing doesn't fix it, so it's only just a matter of checking the chain wear, cassette wear, bent hanger, bent derailleur, worn inner cable, frayed outer cable, loose rear hub, chainring wear etc etc...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Angryhead posted:

Looking for a bit of bike buying advice: I've rode over 3000 km with this bike now and while I like pretty much everything else, the lovely brakes are a real killer - and I'm honestly kind of afraid that eventually, literally. (I think they model is Weinmann AG Vainqueur 750 if anybody wants to check them out)

So I'm looking at getting another similar bike.
I'll consult with the dudes that built me this bike next week and maybe they'll fix me up something suitable from their second-hand inventory, but wanted to get some advice here too.
I ride a lot and could afford carbon and stuff, but I'd still rather get a cheapish bike so I stumbled upon this triban grvl 520 subcompact on Decathlon. 1100€ for Shimano 105 R7000 seems like good value for money.
Now the brakes on it...

Bit of Googling tells me that these are from 2013 or so and were considered okay at the time, considering the cheap price - here's a review from road.cc for example.
I'd feel dumb in justifying an upgrade for "poo poo brakes" and then buying a bike with poo poo brakes but it's proooobably fine in 2022?
FWIW I have near-zero interest in racing and while I do enjoy going fast, I'd spend the vast majority of the time on this bike on multi-hour Z2 rides, rain or shine.
I own this bike (the Triban), since 2019, in the slightly different road version, afaict the only difference is the tyres and color. The rest is identical to the link you posted. I initially used it as a pure road bike, then mixed road/gravel/mud use by switching out the tyres, and last year I added proper mudguards and now I'm using it for my commute.
I love the bike, and still use it daily. The brakes are excellent. I also own a bike with fully hydro Ultegra brakes, which are like 6 times the price, and in normal use there's no appreciable difference.

It'll be a big upgrade compared to your current bike. If you want some more initial impressions or pictures you can check my post history in this thread and the bicycle picture thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've had a rim brake Triban 105 for about 4 years now as a winter/commuter and its been absolutely bomb proof.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are peoples experiences with AC shoulder separation? Because I've noticed a bump on my right shoulder. There's basically no pain and mostly mild discomfort but its a noticable bump looking at the mirror without a shirt and I can definitely feel something is off. I have most mobility back in my arm after a couple, it's maybe kinda hard to lift my arm above my shoulder but it's also only been a couple of days. I don't my health card yet but I'll figure out a doctor's appointment as soon as possible.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Aphex- posted:

I feel the exact opposite. Currently trying to fix the shifting on my MTB and it's frustrating as hell. Indexing doesn't fix it, so it's only just a matter of checking the chain wear, cassette wear, bent hanger, bent derailleur, worn inner cable, frayed outer cable, loose rear hub, chainring wear etc etc...

It’s a long shot but have you tried adjusting the chain gap? I spent the past year dealing with some monstrously making GBS threads shifting in the middle gears on my mountain bike before I finally fixed it last week. No amount of indexing helped and it was a new bike so there wasn’t any kind of wear that should have been causing it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

yoohoo posted:

It’s a long shot but have you tried adjusting the chain gap? I spent the past year dealing with some monstrously making GBS threads shifting in the middle gears on my mountain bike before I finally fixed it last week. No amount of indexing helped and it was a new bike so there wasn’t any kind of wear that should have been causing it.

I'll give it a go! I did adjust the B screw but it didn't seem to do much but I'll try again. I think the derailleur might just be too worn, replacing that is like the last thing I haven't tried yet. It's also one of the most expensive that's why haha!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Have you changed the jockey wheels

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I made an attempt at making a front wheel. Well. This was my first attempt at wheelbuilding ever. I didn't know it was possible to gently caress it up so bad.

Next I made a rear wheel, and it turned out OK.

I realized that as tyre width increases, so does height. 40mm tyres have maybe 5mm to fender bolts, and the tyre "hairs" caress the fender sides from inside.

I need probably a max 32mm wide tyre. It is in theory 8mm lower, and 4mm narrower on both sides. That should be enough.

The 40mm tyre looks so tiny that I hate to go to 32mm, but such is life. That also means this bike will be for commuting and buying groceries etc and won't see any gravel.

Didn't people have tech to do larger forks and fenders back in the days?

Old wheel was 1890g with 5-speed casette. This new one is 1790g with 11-speed casette..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 4, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can't you get some 35s, or 38s? 5mm would be enough for me anyways.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ihmemies posted:

I made an attempt at making a front wheel. Well. This was my first attempt at wheelbuilding ever. I didn't know it was possible to gently caress it up so bad.

lol what happened?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Can't you get some 35s, or 38s? 5mm would be enough for me anyways.

38's is only 2mm less height and 1mm less width in each side. I want to be sure so I'll try 32's next. Also the fender doesn't sit exactly circular. Seems there's less than 5mm in rear so it rubs. Problem is most likely the cargo rack's rear mount which slightly pushes the fender downwards. I'd have to move the rear mount's bend a little bit so I could get the fender to sit a few mm's higher in rear. Then it would be perfectly circular.

spf3million posted:

lol what happened?

I most likely laced them wrong. I tried to remove the nipples and spokes but 20 of them, wouldn't move at all. I could not get them to move at all to any direction. I had no idea why. I did not know that was possible but yes it was possible. It was like someone had welded the spokes and nipples together.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Did you put any grease/oil on the threads before putting them together?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Did you put any grease/oil on the threads before putting them together?

Chain oil, yes. Next wheel I used anti seize. I still don't know what went wrong. What does it matter though? I just need to buy more spokes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Did you try to use a screw driver from the outside of the rim? Or just cranking on the nipple from the inside with a spike wrench?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I will reiterate I appreciate that you are so willing to document this cursed build for our amusement

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

spf3million posted:

Did you try to use a screw driver from the outside of the rim? Or just cranking on the nipple from the inside with a spike wrench?

Yes. I tried a fitting screwdriver, first small, than large handle. No go. :iiam:

bicievino posted:

I will reiterate I appreciate that you are so willing to document this cursed build for our amusement

It is a learning experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Next I made a rear wheel, and it turned out OK.

I realized that as tyre width increases, so does height. 40mm tyres have maybe 5mm to fender bolts, and the tyre "hairs" caress the fender sides from inside.

I need probably a max 32mm wide tyre. It is in theory 8mm lower, and 4mm narrower on both sides. That should be enough.

The 40mm tyre looks so tiny that I hate to go to 32mm, but such is life. That also means this bike will be for commuting and buying groceries etc and won't see any gravel.

Didn't people have tech to do larger forks and fenders back in the days?

Old wheel was 1890g with 5-speed casette. This new one is 1790g with 11-speed casette..

This thing's gonna look rad as gently caress

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ihmemies posted:

Chain oil, yes. Next wheel I used anti seize. I still don't know what went wrong. What does it matter though? I just need to buy more spokes.

It might have contributed to them being so tight you couldn't remove them. Back wheel looks good

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
All right, so now I'm still looking for a 1" English threaded headset with ISO crown race and it looks like my next lead is a modern stronglight a9, but just waiting for confirmation that the one I'm looking at is the right dimensions.

My understanding is that the typical 1" headsets have English, French or Italian threading and the English threading can have crown race standards of ISO or JIS. French threading headsets are just completely out because they're not actually 1" (25mm instead of 25.4mm, i think?) and Italian is sort of compatible, but will alter the threads. The JIS 27mm crown race ones are too big, so it's pretty narrow what I'm looking for and everyone's basically been cutting new production of these headsets aside from the current one from velo orange, where the bearing is just loose in the bottom cup on the most recent batch.

Are there any models you can recommend I look out for?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You just need a threaded headset with a 26.4 crown race?
Depending how fancy you go, the ones on this page should run the range of $15 to $80 from a bike shop:
https://www.jbi.bike/site/search_us...tpi%7CEC30%2F26

Most of them look like caged bearings instead of cartridge. If you really need cartidge, there is Chris King.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 5, 2022

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Most of them look like caged bearings instead of cartridge. If you really need cartidge, there is Chris King.

I think there's a tange or dia-compe too for a lot less than a Chris King.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Yeah, the problem has just been finding something that's in stock if I'm looking for new. I think the origin8 is a good backup if I can't find anything a little fancier, and the shop I'm having work on it has one. Trying to sift through a lot of the eBay listings that don't specify what the threading is has been tiresome.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
The rainy season is approaching and I really don't want to ride my 25kg Gazelle monstrosity with a 7 speed nexus anymore. It was fine for riding on Dutch bike infrastructure (pancake flat and immaculate tarmac) in a suit, not so much in the city I live in now.

Hence (apologies for the non-english link), how does this look for an all purpose city/commuting/day-trip touring bike in terms of value and suitability? https://www.trenga.de/GLS-5.0/89490#wizard-step-0

Checks a lot of the boxes I want in such a bike:

hydraulic discs
no suspension
dynamo hub
pannier rack
fully equipped (fenders, lights) etc.
flat bars

and the price seems ok for the components. Plus, they apparently still have stock, which is a big plus.

I also liked the Cube SL Road, but can't find it in stock anywhere: https://www.cube.eu/en/2022/bikes/urban-mobility/fitness/sl-road/cube-sl-road-race-fe-bluenblue/

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
That Trenga looks really good to me. The cassette has a bit narrow range (11-28) but with the 46/30 chainrings it's not too much of a problem. If the lowest gear isn't low enough that's a relatively inexpensive thing to fix.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sadly I had to abandon the LEL due to a foot injury, so what better thing to do once I've just about recovered than cycle a little over 250 miles to go visit my mum?

Split the trip into two days - 150 something miles of very very flat (~800m of elevation gain total) and then 110 miles of less flat (~1250m elevation gain) but still pretty serene.

The first day was horrendous. The most exciting scenery looked like this:

and on top of that there was a strong headwind the whole day which made the whole thing just kinda miserable.

Day two, despite the same headwind (now cross head as I was heading west as well as north), was a thousand times more fun simply due to the scenery and the terrain. Cycling into a headwind feels sapping, cycling up a hill feels like you've actually earned the going slowly. On top of that, the hills tended to have more interesting buildings than the miles and miles of farmland:

and in general were a lot prettier to look at.

Up here is a lot more hilly. Did a 15k ride to shake off the legs this morning and it had about 1/4 of the climbing of the 255k ride from Monday. Tour of Britain comes through in five days time and it should be fun watching pros go up the climbs that absolutely brutalise me (tbf, Chapel Fell despite being quite short in pro cycling terms might brutalise a few pros as well, 15%+ for the last km of the climb)

Sorry about the injury :(. Are you planning on doing PBP next year?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

I
Honestly, if distance is your goal, my totally uninformed, complete newbie, but guy-who-has-read-a-lot-about-this-lately opinion is that you're going to want 700C's, and with skinny road tires. Even the stock tires on my new (and first) road bike, which are 32's and thus not especially skinny, feel every efficient. Also, while I am sure that loads of people have done loads of centuries on steel-framed bikes, I would imagine that any lighter frame would make your goal that much easier to achieve.

You definitely can do multicenturies on a steel 650b bike and not necessarily any slower because at that distance, it's more about comfort than speed for most riders. I do brevets faster on my newer titanium bike but that's also down to my overall fitness moreso than specific bike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Tried to squeeze in 16 1/2 miles even though the sky was threatening rain. Bought some new socks and crotch cream, hopped on the bike, and enjoyed 15 miles of mostly dry weather.

Then the heavens gently, teasingly even, opened.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Havana Affair posted:

That Trenga looks really good to me. The cassette has a bit narrow range (11-28) but with the 46/30 chainrings it's not too much of a problem. If the lowest gear isn't low enough that's a relatively inexpensive thing to fix.

The gearing will be fine, I’m pretty sure. If I do end up touring with it, I might put on a larger cassette, but for the city terrain it should be ok.

The more I look at it, the more I get The Urge. Called the place today and apparently they’re unable to source cranks so unless I pick one of the floor models, it’s going to be several months wait. :shepicide:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Shadowhand00 posted:

You definitely can do multicenturies on a steel 650b bike and not necessarily any slower because at that distance, it's more about comfort than speed for most riders. I do brevets faster on my newer titanium bike but that's also down to my overall fitness moreso than specific bike.

Good to know. I don't know if I've seen this opinion before. When I've read or watched videos about centuries, it was hard to find one where they're not suggesting bare minimums that are pretty expensive or exotic.

When I was function-testing my new bike a couple week ago, the employee helping me told me that he'd recently helped a customer upgrade from his Cypress, a bike on which he'd actually done a century. Just, wow.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shadowhand00 posted:

My steel rim brake endurance bike is lighter than most modern disc brake bikes and is really comfy.

My other road bike is faster and a chunk lighter but it’s perfectly reasonable for long distance cruising and I use it for group rides in winter with mudguards.

tarlibone posted:

Good to know. I don't know if I've seen this opinion before. When I've read or watched videos about centuries, it was hard to find one where they're not suggesting bare minimums that are pretty expensive or exotic.

No definitely not, it just needs to be something you can be comfortable on for however many hours you need to ride the distance.

More benefit in making sure your fit is right, your saddle doesn’t chafe and you have enough food (or stops planned) that it stays pleasant and fun vs a slog.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

tarlibone posted:

When I was function-testing my new bike a couple week ago, the employee helping me told me that he'd recently helped a customer upgrade from his Cypress, a bike on which he'd actually done a century. Just, wow.

the first tour the france was 6 days of 200 to 300 mile race days on a 18kg steel fixie with wooden weels, no brakes, running 38mm tires, no real drop bars, and no outside assistance. The average speed was around 15.5 mph. That's the same average speed that I reach over a 40 mi ride on a 2 year old fully carbon racebike with good components.

Better bikes make you go faster and further more comfortably (most of the time), but any ol' bike that you can get moving without it falling apart will eventually make it hundreds of miles in a day if you just keep pedalling. 24 hours of 8.5 mph riding will get you two centuries in a day!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
https://www.renehersecycles.com/getting-your-bike-ready-for-randonneuring/

This is more about the progression of what you need on a bike for various distances. You can do long distance on anything.

https://youtu.be/3xP4aYIDby8

A friend who recently passed did a huge amount of ultra distance on steel fixies.

https://imgur.io/a/mMjxhQ7

These are my two long distance bikes. One's a bit faster (probably about 3-4 hours faster on a 600k) than the other but both get me to the destination comfortably and reliably.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 6, 2022

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

tarlibone posted:

I've done multiple centuries on my Trek 520 with both front and back racks. It weighs a lot and is not aero and I certainly won't be setting any speed records but it's certainly possible to do on a heavy bike that's comfortable to ride.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'd rather ride a century on my steel road+ bike than my old carbon race bike. Trade a little speed for comfort makes for going further for longer.

If I was specifically going out on a big climbing century I might reconsider, but for most rec riding it's about the endurance and stamina not the top speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
This all makes me want to tackle a century. Probably not this year, but it's something to work for next year. I'm one trail short of this year's goal, which is to go end-to-end on all of the trails maintained by my local county transit authority.

I'm finding that my Contend AR is remarkably comfortable. Maybe more so than my Escape. I have to take back everything I ever thought or said about drop handlebars.