Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Police that were actually invested in their entire communities and enforced non-bullshit laws even-handedly would be great. Alas, we are humans, and the kind of humans who become cops often have biases against parts of their communities, and those biases lead to unequal and unfair enforcement and interpretation of the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shithouse Dave posted:

Police that were actually invested in their entire communities and enforced non-bullshit laws even-handedly would be great. Alas, we are humans, and the kind of humans who become cops often have biases against parts of their communities, and those biases lead to unequal and unfair enforcement and interpretation of the law.

They're overwhelmingly not part of the communities they police is the thing. Portland cops live outside of Portland. New Orleans cops live in Metairie. NYPD lives in Staten Island and Yonkers and Jersey. It's not unique to the USA other. The parisian police don't live in the rough banlieues where they gently caress up immigrants, weirdly especially people who are muslim and black. Kazakh police who were overwhelmingly russian murdered hundreds of protestors this year. Having actual community members do policing results in far less "shoot first, question later" law enforcement.

e: I'd point to the Black Panthers at their height. Armed Panthers both effectively self-policed their communities and protected them from white cops with no connection to said communities.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Sep 3, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Police departments can be state-level while still having local precincts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anyway that was last night's opinion. This morning's opinion is that the nest actor they get to play the Joker should be fat.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You don't replace the tall skinny guy with a short fat guy, you put them together. Give Joker a Chris Farley.

"Batman in a little coat."

Edit: "Well you'll have plenty of time to live in an abandoned amusement park down by the docks when you're...... living in an ABANDONED AMUSEMENT PARK down by the DOOOOCCCKKKS"

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Sep 3, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nameless Pete posted:

You don't replace the tall skinny guy with a short fat guy, you put them together. Give Joker a Chris Farley.

"Batman in a little coat."

Edit: "Well you'll have plenty of time to live in an abandoned amusement park down by the docks when you're...... living in an ABANDONED AMUSEMENT PARK down by the DOOOOCCCKKKS"

Batman is the tall skinny one!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I take it back and am in lockstep with you now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

That is a loving insane thing to say. The remake has a level of polish that none of the others do, so if you said it was the only one you found watchable that would at least make sense. But "interesting"? The first two Puppet Masters are genuinely weird. They aren't good, but they're bad in very unusual ways. They are by far the most interesting for that reason. Three and four are the ones that are actually decent as movies, so those could be interesting in as such as you care about the characters or want to see where the plot goes. The others are all boring but there's the one that tries to make the plots of all the previous ones work as a continuous series which one could consider and interesting endeavor. And there's the final trilogy which promises Puppets vs Nazi Puppets, which at least sounds interesting even if the execution is underwhelming

The Littlest Reich, the reboot, is just the puppets murdering minorities. It's not interesting at all, it's just repellant and a complete betrayal of everything the Puppet Master franchise stands for.

Also, when you say it's the only one you found interesting that implies you've seen all the Puppet Master movies. Which is deranged.

When I say interesting I mean it held my interest, not necessarily that they're impactful or even good. My movie tastes are extremely low brow and I need something to hook me early or I just zone out, which is how I felt with the old ones.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When I say interesting I mean it held my interest, not necessarily that they're impactful or even good. My movie tastes are extremely low brow and I need something to hook me early or I just zone out, which is how I felt with the old ones.

Username checks out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The hazy, low-contrast, washed-out look of Breath of the Wild is ugly.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

and yet thats maybe number 6 on the list of issues that game has

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

and yet thats maybe number 6 on the list of issues that game has

It's the best Zelda in many years, but it's still a worse Zelda than Okami and loses hard to Elden Ring at its niche. Nintendo are amazingly conservative and lazy to not have a Soulskiller franchise going, it's really really embarrassing that the Armored Core nerds are making better action RPGs than the inventors

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
personal longtime UO:

In the same way Nirvana's Scentless Apprentice is a super vague tribute to "Das Parfum", Bowie's ballad The Man Who Sold the World is a retelling of Edgar Allen Poe's time traveling "A Tale of The Ragged Mountains"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: Transformers is a franchise one level too embarrassing to enjoy, and I watch anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: Transformers is a franchise one level too embarrassing to enjoy, and I watch anime

I think the difference between something like Gundam and Transformers is that the financial reason Gundam exists is to sell robots, but the creative reason Transformers exists is to sell robots.

A Gundam show has a story it wants to tell and characters it wants to explore, but it also needs to include a plot mechanism that regularly introduces new robots. But Transformers, it's the toys up front and if a good story or good characters are included that's fine too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ska is Good, all waves of it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caufman posted:

A mighty mighty boss post

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Caufman posted:

Ska is one of those things that on paper seems like someone made a musical genre specifically for me but I have never really engaged with it in practice.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ska is awesome but it was at the center of a strange convergence of trivia, obscurity, overplay, and 2010s hipster posturing. There were a few years there where online people would say that they only liked the original first wave post Be My Guest ska by Jamaican artists only but reliably never listened to any of it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought ska came and went around the 00s. I just went to a ska show last month and it was rad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not just gundam but most anime... is pretty good. And way better than crap to sell action figures, even from the same era. Somebody seriously gonna sit here and tell me Vegeta is worse than a loving ninja turtle or Optimus Prime or He-Man?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not just gundam but most anime... is pretty good. And way better than crap to sell action figures, even from the same era. Somebody seriously gonna sit here and tell me Vegeta is worse than a loving ninja turtle or Optimus Prime or He-Man?

I've had to stop myself buying a model guyver more than once

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Old people should not be allowed to compete in trivia or gameshows like Jeopardy! because they have an unfair advantage, having had significantly more time to acquire knowledge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

credburn posted:

Old people should not be allowed to compete in trivia or gameshows like Jeopardy! because they have an unfair advantage, having had significantly more time to acquire knowledge.

That's balanced out by the fact that their mind moves slower than a young mind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

There were like five people that ripped off humongous winning streaks last season and the oldest was in her 40s. One of them was 23.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There were like five people that ripped off humongous winning streaks last season and the oldest was in her 40s. One of them was 23.

yeah exactly. people in their 40s. olds.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Gripweed posted:

That's balanced out by the fact that their mind moves slower than a young mind.

I know someone who was on Jeopardy. She said the biggest factor was reaction time with the buzzer. Most people who make it to the actual show are going to know the trivia pretty well but you have to be faster on the draw than the other players.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

yeah exactly. people in their 40s. olds.

Look, there has to be some stage between 'literal infant' (everyone under 40) and 'olds'

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I know someone who was on Jeopardy. She said the biggest factor was reaction time with the buzzer. Most people who make it to the actual show are going to know the trivia pretty well but you have to be faster on the draw than the other players.

My GF tried out for Jeopardy, and she said the same thing, the button/buzzer timing was critical. She didn’t get the timing down very well and didn’t make it, and she knows her stuff - she won Ben Stein’s $5k on that old Comedy Central show back on the day.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah I believe that.

If they were to make the questions harder and/or permit people to buzz in earlier while the question is being read, in an attempt to make the competition more about trivia knowledge and less about buzzer reaction time, it would make for a worse television program.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I hate watching all three contestants rapidly pressing the button, waiting for Alex to finish talking.

(I haven't seen the show in a while so possibly the button and/or host mechanic has been replaced)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Linux users really feel like a cult

It really feels like there's two or three programmed responses about how wonderful Linux and open source software is that they're required to give any time Linux comes up in conversation. Even though, in my experience, it seems like the average Linux user's default state is 'hating Linux because they're trying to do something outside the incredibly narrow usage paradigm of the original developers of that distro/fork/app/whatever so they have to spend six hours troubleshooting it to get it to work', or 'hating Linux because they're trying to introduce some new feature that's different from the old feature and therefor irredeemably bad gently caress this forever'.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Brendan Fraser has had too many career comebacks for one man and it's high time he let Steve Zahn have a turn.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

About 100% of people who use Linux don't even know they're using Linux :smugmrgw:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

About 100% of people who use Linux don't even know they're using Linux :smugmrgw:

i am almost definitely sure Linux Users will absolutely get up your rear end for calling Android 'Linux'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is an Android.

e: Oh you mean Anroid.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

credburn posted:

I hate watching all three contestants rapidly pressing the button, waiting for Alex to finish talking.

(I haven't seen the show in a while so possibly the button and/or host mechanic has been replaced)

If the questions were harder, it'd make the contestants look less knowledgable about trivia and would be harder for non-trivia experts to follow along at home. If they allowed the contestants to interrupt the host during the reading of the question, it'd also make it harder for people at home to follow along.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Sep 6, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ishikabibble posted:

It really feels like there's two or three programmed responses about how wonderful Linux and open source software is that they're required to give any time Linux comes up in conversation. Even though, in my experience, it seems like the average Linux user's default state is 'hating Linux because they're trying to do something outside the incredibly narrow usage paradigm of the original developers of that distro/fork/app/whatever so they have to spend six hours troubleshooting it to get it to work', or 'hating Linux because they're trying to introduce some new feature that's different from the old feature and therefor irredeemably bad gently caress this forever'.
I use Linux because it's simpler and easier than Windows. I don't know poo poo about how any of it works, but 99% of the time it just does with no hassles, and the remaining 1% of the time I find some instructions on the internet that say "install this, copy and paste that, click here." and you do that and it works. The equivalent in Windows is finding some instructions that tell you to go to a settings page that's been renamed, click on a button that's been moved to a different screen, and select an option that no longer exists.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Windows 10 and 11 are pretty good. It’s almost as easy to use and as maintenance free as a smart phone.

Maybe new Linux is a lot better than it used to be but I’d be very shocked if it were more straightforward to use than Windows 10/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

windows is the best OS