Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Oh yea the Architect is cool, I just mean his role in the game is so different from Zanza that a 1:1 comparison doesn't really do anything. Zanza is much more comparable to Amalthus or even Malos in terms of his presence and role in the game.

And not disputing that some of XBC2's party is well fleshed out. Pyra and Mythra may have had a lot of characterization but that didn't mean I particularly enjoyed hearing the millionth conversation about how they loved Rex and Rex loved them. This is probably why Torna is so well received, because it removes those characters from existing constantly in Rex's orbit.

I just actively disliked a lot of XC2's plot, especially the main character and his relationships which were the driving force of the entire game. I liked those things and the central plot of XC1 (and, so far, XC3) a lot more. Like I said, it's subjective.

I think Torna's dynamics worked better because Jin and Laura felt like they're at the point of just quietly admitting they're in a relationship and being comfortable with it, rather than just the typical awkward anime dancing-on-the-edge-of-being-a-couple couple Rex has with Mythra and Pyra. And I really love that rather than just repeat the romance angle with Mythra, Addam treated her as a bratty teenage daughter :allears:.

A good dynamic doesn't have to dial it to 11 with passionate kissing or whatever, just (broad strokes, etc) let them be comfortable being in a room together rather than still being awkward about being affectionate to each-other 100-150 hours into the game. XBC3 does a great job of all the Ouroboros pairings clearly becoming comfortable as couples without beating you over the head about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hosed up that Nintendo did not put splatoon 3 out before the long weekend, and instead, chose a not long weekend that is still in the future from now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gives me a week to finish Xenoblade 3 so I’m grateful

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to finish Xenoblade 1 for like a decade

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oxyclean posted:

hosed up that Nintendo did not put splatoon 3 out before the long weekend, and instead, chose a not long weekend that is still in the future from now

Yeah seriously. It’s also raining today it would have been perfect.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i got spoiled about the plot to splatoon. fuckin hairy beasts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

uber_stoat posted:

i got spoiled about the plot to splatoon. fuckin hairy beasts.

Real talk, how many splatoon players play it for the plot? :psyduck:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/vinterp2/status/1565056960193564672

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

spoilers: the squids beat the bad guys, probably while playing a catchy squid pop song

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Question for Switch Havers:

My wife, our daughter and I have a family online membership. I was able to preorder Splatoon 3 for myself and my daughter but when my wife went to do the same the store told her that the game had already been purchased. It does not show up on her Switch. Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

this made me remember the bizarre position of the wiiu pad thumbsticks lol

i get that it matched the gamepad but still

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

You do realize people can care about a plot to a game without playing said game "for the plot"?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like the plot to metroid really doesnt matter but i still enjoy the lore and stuff even if the games perfectly fine without knowing any of it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zero

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mandatory lesbian posted:

You do realize people can care about a plot to a game without playing said game "for the plot"?

Yes, absolutely. It just seems like not that big of a deal to find out some plot point to a game that is primarily 'shoot paint at others.' :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Splatoon actually has really interesting and creepy lore wrt society and mass extinction. It's cool.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this made me remember the bizarre position of the wiiu pad thumbsticks lol

i get that it matched the gamepad but still

It owned

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t really care that much about the PLOT in splatoon but octo expansion for instance had a cool surprise near the end where you fight your character from the first game and I think I would’ve been a bit annoyed to have that spoiled for me

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

cum jabbar posted:

I've been trying to finish Xenoblade 1 for like a decade
Same, but after three false starts I finally got the momentum I needed to finish it last week. Not only did I finish it but I maxed out all the affinities and rebuilt Colony 6 and all the sidequests aside from some superboss stuff (unless you hate your free time don’t do this). It trivialized the last quarter of the story content, but it was still a good time. I feel like I got my revenge on this game since trying to play it on and off since the Wii era.

Now to see if I’m enough of a glutton for punishment to play through 2 instead of going straight to 3

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I mean I don't think I'd care about spoilers regarding the game, but I'd still pay at least 30 bucks to play the single player campaign of Splatoon 1, out of completionism.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tempura Wizard posted:

Same, but after three false starts I finally got the momentum I needed to finish it last week. Not only did I finish it but I maxed out all the affinities and rebuilt Colony 6 and all the sidequests aside from some superboss stuff (unless you hate your free time don’t do this). It trivialized the last quarter of the story content, but it was still a good time. I feel like I got my revenge on this game since trying to play it on and off since the Wii era.

Now to see if I’m enough of a glutton for punishment to play through 2 instead of going straight to 3

I did the same thing. Except it made me not want to play another XB again. I think it's the terrible combat. It could also be the annoying furballs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yes, absolutely. It just seems like not that big of a deal to find out some plot point to a game that is primarily 'shoot paint at others.' :shrug:
I mean, if someone is planning to play a game, it still feels kind of bad to have something that could have been a surprise, albeit a small one, spoiled.

Idk, like, but the same thought process people could be reductive about literally any game's plot or other spoil-worthy content.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Splatoon single player is a fun TPS Platformer, like Ratchet and Clank but more about encounter puzzles. It’d be pretty fun on its own for $30 or so

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just recently finished XC1 on Switch and was kind of underwhelmed, for a lot of the reasons people have brought up. I’ve got XC2 that I started but stalled on a long time ago, but I’m going to give that a run next. I’m a glutton for punishment so the gacha stuff will probably end up not bothering me as much as it should.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm skipping from XC1 to 3. Ahahaha!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

I did the same thing. Except it made me not want to play another XB again. I think it's the terrible combat. It could also be the annoying furballs.

love to meticulously 100% a game I’m not enjoying

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The single player campaign of Splat 1 had some pretty fun twists and turns and weird creepy lore bits. I'd have been pissed if I'd been spoiled on DJ Octavio, for example. That dude is an absolute delight. Top 10 final bosses in any video game ever for me. Maybe even top 5. Going into that fight blind made it 100x better than it would have been if I'd known what he was about beforehand. I assume Splat 3 will have some similarly fun wacky bits in its single player, and it would be a bummer to have those spoiled ahead of time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah Splat1's final boss was an absolute treat presentation wise. Excited to play 3's campaign on friday.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zurtilik posted:

I'm skipping from XC1 to 3. Ahahaha!

If I ever play try Xenoblade again I'd probably go that route.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tempura Wizard posted:

Same, I managed to start it back again in August and I'm almost done with sidequests (I unlocked them all at least). Colony 6 I'm a bit leery since its superboss has some unique steal drops and I'm not sure I will do NG+ in the future. I did abuse Casual Mode to farm some good gems and weapons and do sidequests, gently caress grinding to 99.

2 should go smoother since it wants you to NG+ for completition and doing sidequests overlevels you a lot according to my friend. And also less missable stuff anyways.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Humans being permanently gone, and replaced by multiple sentient species that don't routinely try to genocide each other is literally my favorite part of the game.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 5, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Splatoon has the most positive and hopeful post apocalyptic setting. It’s pretty cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Some call it post-apocalyptic. I call it Utopia.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What happens to your old switch if you buy a new one and transfer everything over? Can it still work and play all your digital games? Thinking of getting an oled, and giving my current one to my kid but not sure if there's any wierd Nintendo hiccups at night run into since all my games are digital.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Not many at first, but Splatoon 1 turned out to have fun surprises in its campaign and the reveal that the franchise is actually post-apocalyptic. And while 2 didn't exactly have much (the campaign was basically a repeat of 1's), Octo Expansion had more cool surprises and big moments, so if they do more of that in 3, I can understand people getting pissed at getting spoiled.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Splatoon has better lore than zelda and kirby so who wouldn't play it for the plot.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm only interested in the lore of Judd the cat. Will he ever return to his own time? Will he ever defeat the trash ape? I'll just have to pre-order Slatoon 3 to find out!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Augus posted:

the architect’s passivity is the whole point of his character tho. why he’s MIA is one of the central mysteries of the game and the explanation you get is really cool and makes him a really interesting character.

also pyra and mythra are great. Nia too. they are much more active in the story than Xenoblade 1’s female party members and have a lot more depth.

Morag, Brighid, Zekenator, Pandoria, all great. And the party members all interact with each other and have clearly-defined relationships. What would, like, Sharla and Dunban even have a conversation about together. I can’t imagine. Does that ever even happen?

nobody has really disputed that the opening of Xenoblade 2 is very weak

someone did andn thats why i said it. hope this clears things up

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Agrias120 posted:

I just recently finished XC1 on Switch and was kind of underwhelmed, for a lot of the reasons people have brought up. I’ve got XC2 that I started but stalled on a long time ago, but I’m going to give that a run next. I’m a glutton for punishment so the gacha stuff will probably end up not bothering me as much as it should.

Just play XBC3 guys. jesus why put yourselves through this pain. Play the good game first then consider 2 as a prequel. easy as fuckin pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dpulex posted:

Splatoon has better lore than zelda and kirby so who wouldn't play it for the plot.

Zelda isn’t much but doesn’t Kirby lore get pretty insane for a pink vore-circle?