Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

I know we joke about Sky West being The Airline of the Church Formerly Known as the Latter Day Saints but this is literally their most recent pilot newhire class. These guys (and 2 gals) are just a black nametag and a blue book away from the people who used to knock on my door every Saturday morning:

Or, as I experienced last Monday night, the people who were in Concourse E at ATL en masse waiting to go to GRU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KodiakRS posted:

I know we joke about Sky West being The Airline of the Church Formerly Known as the Latter Day Saints but this is literally their most recent pilot newhire class. These guys (and 2 gals) are just a black nametag and a blue book away from the people who used to knock on my door every Saturday morning:

Aviation's so loving white and male in this country holy gently caress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The DO at my previous job: I don’t hire women, I just can’t fly with them. My wife would kill me.

I was trying to get my 20-something friend hired. He was a 50 year old smoker who didn’t exercise.

Boomers man.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Aviation's so loving white and male in this country holy gently caress.

Yet so many of them won’t stop bitching when they hear a legacy hired a woman or brown person. I’ve had to tell a few guys in the cockpit to shut the gently caress about it, if the one woman in a class with other 24 white dudes stole your slot, does that mean that you’re just worse than those 24 dudes?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

DO NOT go looking for the comments on an avweb article about that all black delta crew that did a flight a few weeks back. Truly despicable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

DO NOT go looking for the comments on an avweb article about that all black delta crew that did a flight a few weeks back. Truly despicable.

The fact that this is even remarkable in 2022 for an airline based at Atlanta Hartsfield is more despicable than just about anything else upthread on the topic.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

The comments on that one actually got so bad that Avweb has started moderating comments pretty heavily.

There was also an amazing freakout when United announced they wanted to try and get more women and people of color as pilots, since that particular freakout was coordinated by nationwide GOP talking points.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
United/Delta have posted articles like that on LinkedIn. I’m amazed at the number of dudes that’ll post despicable comments, under their own name, clearly labeled as working for that same airline.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Because boomers being racist is like if I mentioned that I like going for walks. They cannot fathom that it isn’t appropriate to talk about and if you don’t like it then that’s your problem.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You'd think that the "they're always watching" mentality would conflict with "posting hateful poo poo online" but they seem perfectly content to spew both constantly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

United/Delta have posted articles like that on LinkedIn. I’m amazed at the number of dudes that’ll post despicable comments, under their own name, clearly labeled as working for that same airline.

I'd guess a lot of that is because they're unionized (assuming they're pilots), since the union is legally obligated to defend all of their members, even if said members happen to be irredeemable shitheads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A lifetime of failing upwards, pulling up ladders and having no real repercussions didn't help.

"I acted like this my whole life and ended up with a 5 bedroom house and head of the HOA. Must be doing something right!"

Ok I'm done hating for the day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The fact that this is even remarkable in 2022 for an airline based at Atlanta Hartsfield is more despicable than just about anything else upthread on the topic.

Seriously. Is it even remarkable? I would think it’d happen daily by chance with how many times delta is picking 5 Atlanta based crew members at semi random

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rolo posted:

Ok I'm done hating for the day.

Why? There's *gestures around at everything* left to deal with.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Seriously. Is it even remarkable? I would think it’d happen daily by chance with how many times delta is picking 5 Atlanta based crew members at semi random

I think it was the entire crew. Like everyone on the ramp and the ops agent and everything. The picture had quite a few people in it, anyway. Which, yes, being Atlanta it shouldn't be that uncommon but still.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

cigaw posted:

You'd think that the "they're always watching" mentality would conflict with "posting hateful poo poo online" but they seem perfectly content to spew both constantly.

I was going to say, if Delta really is the "Lord help you if you get caught not wearing your hat on Probation" image-obsessed airline theyre said to be, you'd think they'd be looking to swat that down too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

I think it was the entire crew. Like everyone on the ramp and the ops agent and everything. The picture had quite a few people in it, anyway. Which, yes, being Atlanta it shouldn't be that uncommon but still.

Oh I could see that being much harder to track or notice?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Well I’ve never flown a jet boys but I’m type rated in a 737 now!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bob A Feet posted:

Well I’ve never flown a jet boys but I’m type rated in a 737 now!

Good job, man! Make yer aviation thread proud...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Good job, man! Make yer aviation thread proud...

so uh, what's the story behind your custom title

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sapozhnik posted:

so uh, what's the story behind your custom title

Interesting question... as a flight instructor with a few teenage students, I read the K-12 education thread to get some insight into how to teach them more effectively, and in that process I pointed out some of the practices they were discussing, including taking cellphones entirely away, restricting when students can go to the washroom, basically running things in a very authoritarian way, is having a negative influence on my students, because I need my students to be comfortable making decisions for themselves.

This was apparently an "invalid" opinion because I'm not a "real teacher."

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Any teacher I had in school requiring permission for the lav was a nightmare human and very bad at their job

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

yellowD posted:

Any teacher I had in school requiring permission for the lav was a nightmare human and very bad at their job

Correct.

And, to be fair, I don't see whatever context of classroom discipline issues leads them to believe that phones must be forbidden from schools entirely and bathroom use needs to be policed, but they don't see what that level of authoritarianism leads to afterwards.

I had to tell one of my students "look, in a few months, you'll be flying solo. Given that, I trust you completely to decide, on your own, without asking me, if you need to go to the toilet. You can tell me if you like, so I know to wait a few minutes, but please stop asking permission."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Brain isn’t fully developed until 25. Go substitute teach for awhile pt6a and report back.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Brain isn’t fully developed until 25. Go substitute teach for awhile pt6a and report back.

That squares with the fact that I feel I’m not any smarter than when I was about 27. Yes I’m wiser, but my memory and reflexes are worse. So it kind of evens out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m dumb as poo poo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

That squares with the fact that I feel I’m not any smarter than when I was about 27. Yes I’m wiser, but my memory and reflexes are worse. So it kind of evens out.

I went through ATC training between 30 and 32.

I applied when I was 26.

I distinctly remember saying to myself during training: “Self, this would have been a hell of a lot easier five years ago.”

TLDR:

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

Aviation Megathread 10 | I’m dumb as poo poo

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

Me too thanks

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m dumb as poo poo.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

i want to clarify that I’m also dumb as poo poo thanks

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

Aviation Megathread 10 | I’m dumb as poo poo

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I think the best part of getting into the airlines in my thirties is being fully cognizant of just how dumb I am and adjusting accordingly

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm dumb as poo poo and I haven't even been in a plane for almost 10 years.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

a patagonian cavy posted:

Aviation Megathread 10 |

I just realized I've been reading this in my head as Aviation Megathread 101 up until now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We are all dumb as poo poo, but by the grace of checklists, redeemed.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

PT6A posted:

We are all dumb as poo poo, but by the grace of checklists, redeemed.

But only AS REQUIRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Eat a bag of dicks: AS REQUIRED