Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this is the split-second shot right before they close the canister and resume filming. should the film be threaded around the knob labeled "feed"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it has hypnosis powers or anything, it's a wild animal and might view eye contact as a threat. It's not going to trick people into looking at it any more than a gorilla would.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can see that as a concession to gameplay, since as has been discussed, even a decently armed adventuring party would probably figure out how to kill JJ with conventional weapons pretty easily. Cuttlefish also do the mesmerising display thing.

yes, this was exactly my thinking! especially with regards to the cuttlefish, as it's been mentioned in some articles that direct inspiration for JJ was taken from the cuttlefish's ability to mesmerize its prey :) mechanically, i was going for a combination of the Frightening Presence that dragons always have and the Hypnotic Pattern spell.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Awesome work, absolutely terrifying, would rather fight a demon lord than this. Your descriptive text mentions an audible popping sound that accompanies JJ, and that it's for unknown reasons. I wonder if it's to intentionally draw attention and cause prey animals to suddenly stand still and look around for the source. If they correctly locate that it is above them and then turn their eyes skyward to ascertain the potential threat, JJ has them dead to rights; standing still and looking right at up at it. Leads me to ponder whether that might make an interesting ambush mechanic. Characters who don't know what JJ is/don't know what to expect might get idk disadvantage on initiative for succeeding on a Perception check or something. Or maybe it would make more sense for them to be the only valid targets of the ambush cause JJ can't see anyone who doesn't look at it, and any non-lookers would only get sucked up if they were in proximity to lookers.

thank you :shobon:!!! i've seen some speculation that the popping/clicking noise is some kind of echolocation, and i included that detail in a first draft, but ultimately took it out to cut down on length. i'm really curious to see whether the full scientific description confirms that, or if it mentions the sound at all -- like, since the eye is tucked away in its innards most of the time, maybe it echolocates to find its way around? or maybe the oft-mentioned notch is indeed some kind of pinhole camera that it uses to see? it seems to me like it must have some capacity to see out through the opening it sucks stuff up into, since how else would it recognize a pair of eyeballs looking directly back at it, but maybe it can detect that through some other method? i don't know!!! i love it!!!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I just watched it at home with my wife and read the first couple of pages. Personally I would say that it's the weakest of Peele's three films so far with Get Out > Us > Nope, but it's still an incredibly good movie. I think my main complaint is that it's a little too ambitious, trying to tell more of a story than can be comfortably fit into 130 minutes and bursting a bit at the seams. I can absolutely believe that Peele's original cut was longer, but I think this movie is already going to be divisive as it and don't know if the movie-going crowd would go for a 3 hour exploration of animals in cinema.

I'm disappointed that Keith David had as little film time as he got, and I think combining Brandon Perea's and Michael Wincott's character would have been better, but overall I think the movie holds up surprisingly well despite the large cast and complicated structure. The film is constantly jumping around in time and across ideas, but I never felt lost and disorientated. Steven Yeun's performance in particular was amazing and I think it deserves a Best Supporting Actor. Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer also gave strong performances as the leads - without any explicit monologuing or exposition, you know so much about them, their relationship, and the way their father treated each of them. With only a few scant lines, you can read volumes into why Palmer's character left the ranch and resented her father, and why Kaluuya's character doesn't blame her for going even as the ranch is collapsing without her help.

One thing that I thought was interesting but hadn't been mentioned is that Jupe's is lying about his first encounter with Jean Jacket. It wasn't just a horse that was eaten, it was also a woman. We hear her screaming before Otis Sr. is killed by the falling coin in her pocket and her keys land on Ghost. Maybe Jupe truly did believe that Jean Jacket was a spaceship, but I think the more likely answer is that Jupe had seen it attack a person before and still believed he could train and handle it.

Edit: Although thinking about it some more, it's possible that the woman was one of the missing hikers. So there's two ways to take it - Jupe is telling the truth and didn't see what happened in the fog, or he's lying about what happened including the fog.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 5, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit: lol someone already answered.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the little pinhole is also his eye because when he goes after angel and em, he turns it towards them and chases.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
JJ's body is very malleable, does make sense that it can open small holes to see through... heh. Like a sheet, or a tablecloth. (or a camera obscura, as mentioned)

Tibalt posted:

One thing that I thought was interesting but hadn't been mentioned is that Jupe's is lying about his first encounter with Jean Jacket. It wasn't just a horse that was eaten, it was also a woman. We hear her screaming before Otis Sr. is killed by the falling coin in her pocket and her keys land on Ghost. Maybe Jupe truly did believe that Jean Jacket was a spaceship, but I think the more likely answer is that Jupe had seen it attack a person before and still believed he could train and handle it.

Edit: Although thinking about it some more, it's possible that the woman was one of the missing hikers. So there's two ways to take it - Jupe is telling the truth and didn't see what happened in the fog, or he's lying about what happened including the fog.

Ehh, I think reading too much into it. The missing hikers being mentioned so early on seems like it's meant to be a point you pay attention to, and Jupe might be dangerously mistaken but I don't think he'd dismiss the 'UFO' sucking up a human being before his eyes rather than an animal. It's that he's only seen Jean Jacket suck up animals thus far, and actively induces that behaviour, that leads him to mistakenly believe that it distinguishes between humans and animals firmly. The same misconception a lot of people have about animals, leading to things like the Gordy tragedy.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I seem to recall that Holst does the last bit of loading the canister.

Anyway, I don't see why it matters because at any rate the movie treats the film as a loss.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tibalt posted:

I'm disappointed that Keith David had as little film time as he got

AFAIK this is why Keith David was actually cast. The character has a short amount of film time, so had to be played by someone who'd instantly make an impact and show why their loss hovers over the two leads.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I wasn't sure until the second viewing, and I guess I still ain't, but in the last act when OJ yells at Em to get out of there, it's a dub over of Keith David's voice, right?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

anatomi posted:

I wasn't sure until the second viewing, and I guess I still ain't, but in the last act when OJ yells at Em to get out of there, it's a dub over of Keith David's voice, right?

I just listened to that section a couple of times and I don't think it's a dub over, but it does sound like Daniel Kaluuya doing a Keith David impression and I can't tell if it's a deliberate choice or not.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks. At least I know I'm not going completely insane.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didn’t know Keith David was in the film at all so his appearance was a very pleasant surprise despite being brief.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it also works because David is one of those actors who you could imagine in an alternate dimension being a Hollywood powerhouse. Seeing this great actor who is undeniably part of some great cinema but also never really became a star really works with the themes of the movie.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

anatomi posted:

I seem to recall that Holst does the last bit of loading the canister.

Anyway, I don't see why it matters because at any rate the movie treats the film as a loss.

It matters for their "Opera shot". The Poleroid is good enough for the impromptu press conference at the end, and is a safe guard against someone else finding the lost footage before they do. However that footage is much better than what they have on hand. I'm sure they'll look for it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I personally don't think that the movie was ambiguous on that point. It felt clear to me that they'd lost the footage due to Holst's last destructive act of glory hunting. He's unable to go against his nature — he's still the leopard even when he's getting strangled to death. Of course he's gonna chase the impossible shot and lose everything.

Holst's partly right in that he doesn't deserve the impossible shot. But Em does and that's why she finally gets the Oprah level plate.

The canisters surviving would diminish her victory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jupe's implied relationship with Em and OJ is interesting, he's a Hollywood hanger-on who clearly wants some measure of approval and to impress the people who are actually involved in big name Hollywood productions, as failing as they may be. They probably know about him before they ever met- the Gordy incident has to be infamous, especially among Hollywood animal trainers, if nothing else as a story of what not to do. The whole thing is probably pretty macabre at best.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

anatomi posted:

I personally don't think that the movie was ambiguous on that point. It felt clear to me that they'd lost the footage due to Holst's last destructive act of glory hunting. He's unable to go against his nature — he's still the leopard even when he's getting strangled to death. Of course he's gonna chase the impossible shot and lose everything.

Holst's partly right in that he doesn't deserve the impossible shot. But Em does and that's why she finally gets the Oprah level plate.

The canisters surviving would diminish her victory.

My take is the canisters prove the existence of Jean Jacket, but only of his high-speed stealth form. It's a glimpse but not the full spectacle of Jean Jacket.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i took the pov shot from holst's chestcam as proof that footage had been recovered. it's the only shot like it in the movie, and it's clearly developed film.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It feels more appropriate to his character for someone as experienced and self-destructive as Hopdt to successfully destroy all the initial footage, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oprah

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

if Angel knows enough to even change film into a reel without using his eyes Holst has definitely taught him how to feed the film correctly too

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jupe's implied relationship with Em and OJ is interesting, he's a Hollywood hanger-on who clearly wants some measure of approval and to impress the people who are actually involved in big name Hollywood productions, as failing as they may be. They probably know about him before they ever met- the Gordy incident has to be infamous, especially among Hollywood animal trainers, if nothing else as a story of what not to do. The whole thing is probably pretty macabre at best.

I believe during their meeting in his office OJ says to Em the Gordy incident is why he doesn't have them work with chimps, so it seems like it's well known

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's implied to be why Nobody works with chimps anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scissorfighter posted:

That's how I read it. He had a lot going on and most of what we see/hear from him is him swallowing his trauma or practicing for the show. He probably has less than 10 minutes of screentime but his character made a big impact on me. If he's meant to parallel the mayor from Jaws, he is a huge subversion of that trope. Motivated by base desires still (fame this time instead of money,) but he seeks to control/exploit the phenomenon, rather than convince people it doesn't exist. Also, since we see he's repeating the tragedy brought onto him as a child, and likely wouldn't intentionally endanger anyone's life, he becomes far more layered and sympathetic.

I've said before that one way to describe the movie is 'Jaws, but they try to monetise the shark'.

Speleothing posted:

It's implied to be why Nobody works with chimps anymore.

And now I can only wonder what the Speed Racer movie does in the Nope universe.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I went into this really expecting a slightly more conventional alien abduction movie done in Peele's style, so I had to adjust my expectations a few times, think I need to rewatch it some time to go into it with a proper mindset. Thinking of it in comparison to Tremors helps, where average people also become obsessed with unfamiliar beasts (though, out of more direct necessity to survive).

The Gordy bits are fantastically scary out of context. The alien stage show bit is so banal, with like a third of the seats filled for a live UFO horse feeding. So pathetic. It fits with the idea that nobody really cares or believes it unless you capture it on camera.

At least twice in the movie I felt like I seriously lost my goddamn mind. One was when the futuristic motorcyclist shows up in a mirror helmet and starts weirdly interviewing Em, the other when the 'ship' comes down on the stage show and I thought what the gently caress, is it a giant cowboy hat

Daniel Kaluuya is mesmerizing and the resemblance between him and Keith David seemed uncanny.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

davidspackage posted:

when the 'ship' comes down on the stage show and I thought what the gently caress, is it a giant cowboy hat

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Newsflash everyone!
https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1567179176108515329?t=Q4Z9mm4TTTg2hjUP1iMEiA&s=19

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the accolades keep coming

https://mobile.twitter.com/PamGrier/status/1567152520690106368

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/toxictrreat/status/1567218693658099715?s=20&t=df4kXJa2ii8F7q_2EiQpnQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

God I hate these guys so much. Also kinda lol they're literally just barn owls.

Also they literally put the Akira bike slide in this, didn't they?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really really want a viewer plush.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

correct, there is ONE and ONLY ONE way to film a motorcycle stopping.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

God I hate these guys so much. Also kinda lol they're literally just barn owls.

the cameras on the set where the animal attacked

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Those too! But the brown around the eyes really is just a barn owl. They do show up in the movie, we've been over this itt.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Those too! But the brown around the eyes really is just a barn owl. They do show up in the movie, we've been over this itt.

I wasn't disputing the barn owls, just throwing that up there in case you hadn't seen it. It's a cool detail.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I also have a theory that they're partially inspired by Sachiel, the first angel in Neon Genesis Evangelion

Because Jordan Peele is a huge nerd (and he's mentioned in interviews that he took some inspiration from EVA).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Every time someone posts new info in this thread it makes Jordan Peele cooler and gooder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If Jordan peele likes Eva I guess I'll finally watch it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
JJ seems like it's particularly inspired by the Rebuild version of Sahaquiel - and, again, that was almost certainly intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

If Jordan peele likes Eva I guess I'll finally watch it

It's a bit of a rough watch but the central premise is "hey maybe we shouldn't make teenagers pilot giant biomechanical robots to fight literal angels because it'll gently caress them up"

The main character is super depressed.