Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

elvis is incredible

Is Tom Hanks a nazi? they never say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At some point saying "The x cinematic universe" has to be passe

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Xaris posted:

last season of expanse was pretty notably gutted budget-wise

that part of the books was pretty blah in any case and they weren't ever planning on following it up because they killed a major important character bc the actor was a sex pest and they didn't want to do something where everyone was 30 years older

it was still gutted yes but the source material and external conditions made it look worse than it should have

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

you're big mistake is thinking it;s a show about a lawyer. it's not. it's a show about yass kween grrlpwr slayer

It’s too bad because Orphan Black was amazing for one season and varying shades of good after that.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I recommend watching the documentary about Laibach going to North Korea. In the Sound of Music video on Youtube (which is very cool and well done imo) they cut it so it looks like the audience is intrigued by the music. In reality people left as soon as Laibach had played their first song, The Whistleblowers. The camera shows people holding their ears and grimacing, it's actually very funny. They all walk out about after that, though at least one woman in the audience said she enjoyed it when asked by the documentary people.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ve had that “Pleased to Meet You” song from the VICE guys singing karaoke in the DPRK stuck in my head for years. I’d be curious to learn more about North Korean music, if it’s as static and old fashioned as it comes across, or if within the genre people are having fun, doing new things.

On the other hand, we may not realize it, but we’re still familiar with lots of Music Hall and sheet music standards, maybe just as children’s music, but still. It would be weird if there were concerts playing “Hail, Hail, the Gang’s All Here” and “I’m Henry the VIII, I am” today, but you probably could get people to sing along. Maybe that’s what’s going on there? We just see the standards being played when people visit North Korea and think that’s what everyone listens to at home?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so sick of all these people slandering Legolas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's not even Legolas they care about
book Legolas was bland as white bread

they're hot for young Orlando Bloom and that's fine, but call it what it is

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Book Legolas was a sheltered prince who embarked upon a quest and became best buddies with a dwarf before the duo went to heaven together on a boat.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve had that “Pleased to Meet You” song from the VICE guys singing karaoke in the DPRK stuck in my head for years. I’d be curious to learn more about North Korean music, if it’s as static and old fashioned as it comes across, or if within the genre people are having fun, doing new things.

On the other hand, we may not realize it, but we’re still familiar with lots of Music Hall and sheet music standards, maybe just as children’s music, but still. It would be weird if there were concerts playing “Hail, Hail, the Gang’s All Here” and “I’m Henry the VIII, I am” today, but you probably could get people to sing along. Maybe that’s what’s going on there? We just see the standards being played when people visit North Korea and think that’s what everyone listens to at home?

They have some music there that's reminiscent of disco with lyrics are about the war, building the country, praising the Kims etc. In the Laibach documentary you can hear "We will go to Mt. Paektu" by the Moranbong band playing in the background at the airport. They play huge concerts with choreographed dancing and pyrotechnics, while wearing specially made uniforms. Many of the songs are catchy too. I saw a clip of a Western guy at the famous Pyongyang waterpark belting out the chorus to Mt. Paektu up on the 10-meter while the locals watching him happily sang along. My impression is that this type of music is widely popular. I have no idea whether or not people are listening to it at home or how many people have devices for that, but that would be interesting to know.

Lol I just realized what song you had stuck in your head, that one's extremely catchy.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Sep 5, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dunno how I feel about HOT D beyond "it's fine" but I do like the king and his daughter quite a bit. The king in particular has some "I'm in over my head" energy that I'm into, though I don't know whether or not the backstory that this is based off of(?) ends up with him in over his head.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thatfatkid posted:

rings of power is loving awesome, what the gently caress is wrong with you people

People think this about DUNC (that it's awesome) too and I am equally mystified

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Dune is also loving awesome. Sorry about your poo poo taste

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

People think this about DUNC (that it's awesome) too and I am equally mystified

lol dumbass

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dunc kinda sucked though. the entire evil doctor subplot could have easily been wiped. seemed too narrow for what should have been more epic strokes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

no time for anything cool or creative, time for some shots of sand

and those goofy power rangers fights lol

i think i made the mistake of watching the lynch one shortly before which is technically a much worse film but is 1000x as imaginative and has loads of things that are referenced constantly today

...DUNC made the climax of the film pauls duel but didnt have him give water to the dead, no time for world building or emotion, more sand!

lynch dune added stuff to dune that people associate with it today, dunc pretty much subtracted things from dune, the only new stuff is what, that weird spider man?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the sand did look nice tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/NoahPasternak/status/1566216425932480516

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sorry that was weak sauce compared to this one

https://twitter.com/PiaGlenn/status/1566654645795037184

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/tragicbirdapp/status/1566610490566000643?t=Q7CHHX9p_W0GFN1M32MOAw&s=19

larper
Apr 9, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Season 1, Episode 1 of the Newsroom:

Will McAvoy, Jeff Daniels's character, calls Dev Patel "Punjab" and assumes that he's the IT guy

That aside, the fact that this is supposed to be set in the real-real world (season 1 debuted in 2012, depicting events in 2010) creates this phenomenon where the lynchpin of the episode is the cast agonizing over whether to go along with the hot exclusive source that tells them the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was caused by negligence on the part of Halliburton... and there's zero stakes because you already know it to be true (or maybe you don't... but even if you didn't... you know that the BP oil spill is a real event, so you still kinda assume that there's something there). They set it up where the senior producer has a source in BP via his college roommate, and a source in Halliburton via his sister, and they even acknowledge in-universe that the coincidence seems improbable!

This is an Aaron Sorkin show, of course, and despite the McAvoy character going to great lengths to position himself as "having voted for both parties", it's clear this show is taking the side of the liberals: as the newscast is put together on the spot (and McAvoy gets to show off his form as inspired by Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow), the blame is being squarely placed on deregulation and corporate greed.

As the episode ends, with the first show having actually done "real news" for once, there's a line from Sam Waterston's character that tells you all about what this show is going to aspire to be:

I hadn't watched The Newsroom since its original run. As of today, I know that that line is complete bullshit. But I'd like to think it shows I've learned some things since 2012.

There's no need for this level of analysis. All you need is the obl assasination clip.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This is ai-generated nonsense

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i say swears online posted:

dunc kinda sucked though. the entire evil doctor subplot could have easily been wiped.

hard no

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Season 1, Episode 1 of the Newsroom:

Will McAvoy, Jeff Daniels's character, calls Dev Patel "Punjab" and assumes that he's the IT guy

Laffing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Newsroom is by far the most epic show in the history of television. I especially liked the episode where Will had each individual Tea Partier call into the nightly news so he could pwn them in the marketplace of ideas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm excited for the Worst Wing's season 8: The Poosroom.

:hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1566849702473396224?s=20&t=m4tMkbJSPunzq240l3IO0w

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

projecthalaxy posted:

The Newsroom is by far the most epic show in the history of television. I especially liked the episode where Will had each individual Tea Partier call into the nightly news so he could pwn them in the marketplace of ideas.
I liked the one where a WOMAN tried to tell a MAN what to do. Boy she got hers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8&t=91s

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Grevling posted:

I recommend watching the documentary about Laibach going to North Korea. In the Sound of Music video on Youtube (which is very cool and well done imo) they cut it so it looks like the audience is intrigued by the music. In reality people left as soon as Laibach had played their first song, The Whistleblowers. The camera shows people holding their ears and grimacing, it's actually very funny. They all walk out about after that, though at least one woman in the audience said she enjoyed it when asked by the documentary people.

what is the name of this documentary and where can i watch it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Some Guy TT posted:

what is the name of this documentary and where can i watch it

https://vimeo.com/503745101

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching the first episode of firefly on cable as background and a few observations compared to memory

settings still good serious space piracy is fun um wow all the chinese references are insanely racist dog skewers and a kabuki show? wtf this would have been ignorant fifty years ago let alone twenty

oh hey theyre censoring the word whore honestly kind of wish there was a way to censor that entire part of the worldbuilding because id completely forgotten one of the core cast members was a space courtesan

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remulak posted:

I liked the one where a WOMAN tried to tell a MAN what to do. Boy she got hers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8&t=91s

also extremely pwnage. He's just saying what all us Newsroomites are thinking!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

that reminds me, is the post-netflix tuca and bertie any good?

It's fine, although not really good. Also Tiffany Haddish recently got accused of molesting a kid.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Skipping to the end when they hold the concert I have to admit I was wrong about the audience's reaction because some of them are clearly digging it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

we stan a king

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

no time for anything cool or creative, time for some shots of sand

and those goofy power rangers fights lol

i think i made the mistake of watching the lynch one shortly before which is technically a much worse film but is 1000x as imaginative and has loads of things that are referenced constantly today

...DUNC made the climax of the film pauls duel but didnt have him give water to the dead, no time for world building or emotion, more sand!

lynch dune added stuff to dune that people associate with it today, dunc pretty much subtracted things from dune, the only new stuff is what, that weird spider man?

Lynch wrote the thing,

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
the lips acquire stains,
the stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

this poem and its so good at world building. it's insanely good. Also he asked the guy who played Duke Leto to get surgery on his face so they could pump gas into his mouth when he bit the tooth but the actor said no so they horribly burned him with a tiny tube of smoke taped to his face instead

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's really sad to see Jodorowsky's Dune and Lynch's Dune and then DUNC which is just so, so bland. A culture that runs on Meth trying to tame a muslim people on a planet with worm gods and people named Duncan Idaho and a genetic experiment designed by a coven of witches gets carried out a century too early and fucks up their plans. it should not be bland.