Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bloody Pom posted:

On the subject of the holodeck, I liked the VOY episode that revealed Tuvok had created a custom simulation where he could murder Neelix with impunity as a form of stress relief.

Honestly, I'd do the exact same thing in that situation.

This is the first thing I've heard about Voyager that makes me at all interested in watching it. Are you going to make me really keep watching after DS9? I have no idea who these characters are but this plot sounds different enough to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pixaal posted:

This is the first thing I've heard about Voyager that makes me at all interested in watching it. Are you going to make me really keep watching after DS9? I have no idea who these characters are but this plot sounds different enough to be fun.

That episode is all about The Hubris of Vulcans And Why It Isn't Deserved and is rad.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

pixaal posted:

VOY is a handful of gems in a sea of mediocrity and poo poo, it's the only Trek series I'd recommend finding a watch list for.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

See the problem with Voyager is you could just skip all of it and basically miss nothing from trek

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nearly Every Episode of Voyager

Tuvok: "Captain, our sensors have detected [problem]"
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We demand your attention!"
Janeway: "Well I demand coffee"
Chakotay / Kes: "We could try reasonable-sounding but desperate solution #1"
Torres / Seven of Nine: "I'm in favor of less-reasonable but more practical solution #2"
Paris: "I could fly a shuttlecraft"
Kim: "The writers forgot to give me anything to do but don't want to write me out because a magazine called me one of the 50 sexiest men alive."
Kim: "Uhh..."
Kim: "Shields at 24%?"
Possibly the Borg Queen: "Captain, would you like to come hang out at my house later?"
Janeway: "You're all wrong, we'll do secret perfect solution #3 that no one has referenced but allows us to keep the moral high ground. Captain's prerogative."
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We are undone!"

Neelix: "And I'm here too!"

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 9, 2022

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
The year of hell could have been good in VOY if it wasn't ret-conned out by...what was it, time travel again?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Half-wit posted:

The year of hell could have been good in VOY if it wasn't ret-conned out by...what was it, time travel again?

There are points in Voyager where you can see the things that made Ronald D. Moore angry enough to make BSG basically just to show that Voyager could have been good if they actually believed in their premise. That was one of them.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Remember that time Tom Paris turned into a sslamander because he went too fast?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Half-wit posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Worf posted:

Starting rifle in xcom

Nightmare version is if you're playing water XCOM and get a land mission before you get poo poo that's better than harpoon guns

chiasaur11 posted:

The starting rifle in X-Com sucked, but it was usable against Sectoids and Floaters, which was usually enough to cover the first month as long as you brought a heavy weapons trooper for the terror units or rushed laser pistols. Not great, but not bottom tier.

The harpoon gun, though, that one's a candidate. Slower firing than the X-Com 1 rifle, almost no ammunition, and enemies were more resistant to it. You were better off just getting the gas cannon and loading it up with high-ex.

Also, most of the big guns couldn't be used on land. There was a lot of garbage in Terror from the Deep.
Probably not news to either of you, but they designed TftD using a lot of feedback from X-Com. Couple of things like introducing melee weapons etc, but the big feedback was that the game was too easy. Even playing on the hardest difficulty players were only really struggling a bit at the beginning and then breezing through the rest of the game. A lot of design decisions were based around this.

Some time later it was discovered that original X-Com had this bug where loading a save reset the difficulty to beginner...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Presto posted:

It wasn't just Tom, it was Janeway too. They also hosed.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And spawned a clutch of baby salamanders they just left on the planet

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Imagine having to live your life with the vague, dreamlike memory of squirting out a string of eggs for Tom Paris to fertilize.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Imagine having to live your life knowing that you wrote that episode.

Eh, they got paid so whatev, I guess.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Imagine having to live your life with the vague, dreamlike memory of squirting out a string of eggs for Tom Paris to fertilize.

Captain Janeway, to Paris posted:

What makes you think it was your idea? Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating. But apology accepted, nonetheless. You may be interested to know I'm putting you in for a commendation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

Some time later it was discovered that original X-Com had this bug where loading a save reset the difficulty to beginner...

If I remember correctly, TftD had that bug too... only it reset the difficulty to Superhuman instead

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Slashrat posted:

If I remember correctly, TftD had that bug too... only it reset the difficulty to Superhuman instead

They wanted to average the games out to normal

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Presto posted:

Say what you want about that episode, people remembered it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Schwarzwald posted:

Say what you want about that episode, people remembered it.

people also remember goatse

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nearly Every Episode of Voyager

Tuvok: "Captain, our sensors have detected [problem]"
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We demand your attention!"
Janeway: "Well I demand coffee"
Chakotay / Kes: "We could try reasonable-sounding but desperate solution #1"
Torres / Seven of Nine: "I'm in favor of less-reasonable but more practical solution #2"
Paris: "I could fly a shuttlecraft"
Kim: "The writers forgot to give me anything to do but don't want to write me out because a magazine called me one of the 50 sexiest men alive."
Possibly the Borg Queen: "Captain, would you like to come hang out at my house later?"
Janeway: "You're all wrong, we'll do secret perfect solution #3 that no one has referenced but allows us to keep the moral high ground. Captain's prerogative."
Possibly an antagonist or the Borg or a natural phenomenon or space road construction: "We are undone!"

Neelix: "And I'm here too!"

lol this was so on point I could hear the characters voices in my head

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neelix, who managed to go mad with power as the cook.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neelix, who managed to go mad with power as the cook.
"Guy who knows the area" is kind of pointless for a show about traveling very fast in a straight line for 70 years, but "outside context guy" who sometimes saves the day by doing things the way the federation doesn't is very good.

Neelix is bad because instead of a bisexual lizard playing gay cat and mouse with the station doctor he's a "comical" rat goblin dating a seven year old.

e: do characters count as tech

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 7, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There's a whole rear end episode about that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Splicer posted:

"Guy who knows the area" is kind of pointless for a show about traveling very fast in a straight line for 7- years, but "outside context guy" who sometimes saves the day by doing things the way the federation doesn't is very good.

Neelix is bad because instead of a bisexual lizard playing gay cat and mouse with the station doctor he's a "comical" rat goblin dating a seven year old.

e: do characters count as tech

Kes was two when she met Neelix. Could only have been six when she left Voyager to become a floating space cloud in the fourth season.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CainFortea posted:

There's a whole rear end episode about that.
:hmmyes:

Hypothetical lovely tech: imagine trying to load the weird cornerless paper into a BSG printer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Splicer posted:

Hypothetical lovely tech: imagine trying to load the weird cornerless paper into a BSG printer.

Didn't they have tracked paper and use impact printers?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Splicer posted:

There is a special attachment that cuts the sides off once the paper is loaded but before the print happens. Edit - even though it was continuous feed printing.

It’s what the Cylons evolved from, and its vary pointless existence lead to them questioning the wisdom of their creator masters and rebelling.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 11, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Nah. That's just a rumor. TFTD is just mean on its own. Mind, there are plenty enough glitches to make that rumor plausible. For example, aliens can't use melee weapons.

jeeves posted:

There is a special attachment that cuts the sides off once the paper is loaded but before the print happens. Edit - even though it was continuous feed printing.

It’s what the Cylons evolved from, and its vary pointless existence lead to them questioning the wisdom of their creator masters and rebelling.

Ah, the Durandal method.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Didn't they have tracked paper and use impact printers?
No, they had overworked production assistants and regret for the idea

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jeeves posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593301672

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just had the displeasure of flying this piece of garbage in Tie Fighter.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

"wow what if took away your nice shiny TIE that was able to actually dodge a laser and gave you a mini-shuttle with the turning radius of a blue whale that we farted out in a week"
also gently caress the TIE bomber too all my homies hate the TIE bomber.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Putting the 2 different gunboats in TIE was so dumb. It's like someone who hated the TIE's and really wanted to fly an x-wing again made that decision. Medium slow, medium well armed, big hit point, badly handling sack of bullshit is the opposite of what you come to TIE's for

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lawman 0 posted:

There are a TON of people who absolutely LOVE this ugly piece of poo poo.

It was released for the X-Wing miniatures game and the secondary market for the model is insane. Some people will pay like $50-70 for the god drat thing. I literally do not understand.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Here’s a LEGO gun boat I made from a Sentinel

Think it needs more middle pods now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Melee weapons when they have lasers that can stun you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Wait a minute I like the assault gunboat

Just keep the shield shut off

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Worf posted:

Wait a minute I like the assault gunboat

Just keep the shield shut off

Replay tie fighter mission 1-6 and tell me if it's still good.
I'm traumatized.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lawman 0 posted:

Consider instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is that some kind of bastard missile boat

Looks like something from descent