Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Just pointing out that soldiers in a war zone have better trigger discipline and are more cautious of collateral damage than cops in the US.

Cops are a lot more circumspect with their violence when they know that the other side is armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ukranian soldiers probably care about their country and citizens, and try to differentiate between them and the invaders. US cops view their country and citizens AS the invaders.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The drat Russian military is more competent at their job than US cops.
Seriously, once you visit another 1st-world country and encounter cops there, it's like night & day between theirs and ours

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

This is such a simple, stupid joke but ONN executes it so well I laugh like hell every time I rewatch it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Not really but post whatever you want I guess

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Seriously, once you visit another 1st-world country and encounter cops there, it's like night & day between theirs and ours

I am a brown Spanish-speaking person, Cops in Spain are just as racist and violent as the ones in Chicago.

French cops are pretty lovely but I can't understand them so I don't know why they're being assholes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/copesint/status/1566739796696764417?s=21&t=HUqqK3uuQJzDApMH4h1z6Q

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Heh you see, an honest assessment of the skills of the trainees so deficiencies can be addressed is actually bad news. It's ok to have piss poor soldiers, just lie about their level of training! No one will know the difference!

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The X-man cometh posted:

I am a brown Spanish-speaking person, Cops in Spain are just as racist and violent as the ones in Chicago.

French cops are pretty lovely but I can't understand them so I don't know why they're being assholes.
drat, is that the case there? I wasn't tracking that.
I retract my comment then.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 5, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

drat, is that the case there? I wasn't tracking that.

Riot cops are bad worldwide, beat cops are varied in their shittiness.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Heh you see, an honest assessment of the skills of the trainees so deficiencies can be addressed is actually bad news. It's ok to have piss poor soldiers, just lie about their level of training! No one will know the difference!

I love the conclusion 'I hope this report I've written kinda just goes somewhere and is read by someone'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tbf, in countries where they don't let the police have guns, it does feel like the odds of getting shot by the police are exceptionally low

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'll take my small-town US Cop that grew up in a society that encourages firearms training/possession among its citizenry than the Yakutian/Dagestani conscript that lived with grudges that span centuries.

US cops have obviously grown a horrendous reputation across the country but I would still turn to them over the Russian military.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

document’s fake dude

it’s written on the form the us army uses for administrative counseling of junior enlisted soldiers

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hypnophant posted:

document’s fake dude

it’s written on the form the us army uses for administrative counseling of junior enlisted soldiers

Yep. A form which you can download off the internet apparently.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yep. A form which you can download off the internet apparently.

That's true of a whole lot of forms. I recently went on a tour of the TRADOC archives and man, there's so much there. None of it shouldn't be there, mind you, just that there's enough to probably teach most of what you need to know to run a military, which is rather the whole point.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CabooseRvB posted:

I'll take my small-town US Cop that grew up in a society that encourages firearms training/possession among its citizenry than the Yakutian/Dagestani conscript that lived with grudges that span centuries.

US cops have obviously grown a horrendous reputation across the country but I would still turn to them over the Russian military.

Definitely no centuries-spanning grudges between segments of the population in the US :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s interesting about the forms. Not surprising about stuff floating around. Looking at old war college archives I found tons of cool briefing books on wartime Japan, civil and military, such as firefighters to the kenpai, so I’m not shocked even things not mean to be there are there (granted my case that wasn’t an issue)

In you know someone is hosed news. I mean Jesus Christ imagine buying stuff that’s for the KPA.

Russia Is Buying North Korean Artillery, According to U.S. Intelligence
Moscow’s purchase of millions of shells and rockets from North Korea is a sign that global sanctions have hampered the Russian military’s supply lines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/us/politics/russia-north-korea-artillery.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s interesting about the forms. Not surprising about stuff floating around. Looking at old war college archives I found tons of cool briefing books on wartime Japan, civil and military, such as firefighters to the kenpai, so I’m not shocked even things not mean to be there are there (granted my case that wasn’t an issue)

In you know someone is hosed news. I mean Jesus Christ imagine buying stuff that’s for the KPA.

Moscow’s purchase of millions of shells and rockets from North Korea is a sign that global sanctions have hampered the Russian military’s supply lines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/us/politics/russia-north-korea-artillery.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

How is Russia paying for this? Is NK accepting Rubles?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Who wants to bet that only about 25% of those work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A.o.D. posted:

I would imagine NK has considerable debts with Russia that are open ledger

not the least of which is the "secret" of Kim Il Sung's birthplace at Mount Paektu

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Or just… energy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Since this technically runs afoul of UN sanctions, and assuming they're being transported by ship (rail and air would be too limited and slow), what's to stop the US or any other country from seizing the vessels when they leave port?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

They'll probably take just about anything Russia will give them. Oil, coal, food, promises to replace what they buy with newer/better stuff in a few years, etc etc.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

Who wants to bet that only about 25% of those work.

I think the most optimistic view for North Korea a decade ago was that 75% were good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

Since this technically runs afoul of UN sanctions, and assuming they're being transported by ship (rail and air would be too limited and slow), what's to stop the US or any other country from seizing the vessels when they leave port?

Russia declaring a blockade an act of war, I'd guess. I can't say they'd be 100% wrong, but they dug their hole.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

aphid_licker posted:

Definitely no centuries-spanning grudges between segments of the population in the US :v:

I mean, some of the folks there (Dagestan and Georgia) have grudges that span the centuries. I think the best thing we did was provide "sovereignty" to the Native tribes (or what remains) and make their lands mostly exempt from certain state and federal laws.

Better than still stating they shouldnt exist outright nowadays like some countries are doing *cough* Russia *cough*

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

A.o.D. posted:

That's true of a whole lot of forms. I recently went on a tour of the TRADOC archives and man, there's so much there. None of it shouldn't be there, mind you, just that there's enough to probably teach most of what you need to know to run a military, which is rather the whole point.

I'm telling ya, if we just airdrop a pallet of translated ranger handbooks into the region, the Ukrainians would be rolling through Volgograd in a week.

gently caress, sorry for the double tap.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

Tumangang has a major rail line going straight to Vladivostok so some transport is feasible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
nm

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 6, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Trains and geography

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Tumangang has a major rail line going straight to Vladivostok so some transport is feasible.

I kinda forgot they share a border there!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've every confidence that Russia isn't going to somehow gently caress up transporting poo poo 10,000km to Belgorod, leaving poo poo exposed to elements and falling victim to dilapidated transportation networks across some of the most inhospitable terrain on earth.

It might work when they put them in the trucks/trailers/train cars, but if it'll work by the time they get it to the front...that's anyone's guess.

One thing I do have confidence in is NK's ability to make poo poo for poo poo from the 50s and 60s really well.

Of course, the other important thing to infer from this is the Russians probably asked India and China first and were told :hmmno:.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also, the PLAN is right off the coast doing live fire exercises as part of Vostok 2022.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Maybe so.

But their rail infrastructure is also under strain due to sanctions so I imagine getting it from the east of Russia to the Ukranian border would be challenging, if it can be done at all.

brains
May 12, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

lol irl about the logistics cost of breakbulk transporting millions of shells from the DPRK border to fuckin Crimea

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

brains posted:

lol irl about the logistics cost of breakbulk transporting millions of shells from the DPRK border to fuckin Crimea

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

I kinda forgot they share a border there!

China would really prefer that they didn't.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I wonder if the North Koreans use pallets for shipping ordnance or munitions. Can you imagine that poo poo arriving in Russia on pallets and then having to be broken down for shipment to Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Fearless posted:

I wonder if the North Koreans use pallets for shipping ordnance or munitions. Can you imagine that poo poo arriving in Russia on pallets and then having to be broken down for shipment to Ukraine?

First thing I thought