Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nenonen posted:

now explain trampoline

"trampolin" is Spanish for springboard, plus Italian "trampolino," which originates from "trampoli" or stilts and ultimately most likely comes from "trample/trampling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
tarpoline

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grundulum posted:

I thought it started when those hicks took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge building in the dead of winter, and one guy basically camped out overnight in freezing conditions by putting a tarp over his camp chair.

IIRC tarp guy later found out that being white or right-wing does not guarantee safety if you get into a firefight with federal agents.

that was another meme with a tarp in it

This threads reference to tarps comes from the brutal war over whether or not tarps would work to cover cars in snowstorms

Kind of like the thread in-joke reference to a "Modeling Crisis" developing because self proclaimed weather experts don't understand complex systems of variables and want to highroad everyone causing another huge fight. It doesn't really have anything to do with the concept outside of this thread.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
TUMOP

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wait what thread is this

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A few years back the British government put out a report saying that they, the British government, needed to provide funds to insulate buildings including private homes. It would be a relatively small upfront cost with enormous savings in the following years. The government then proceeded to do absolutely nothing. A protest group was formed called Insulate Britain that did small protests like temporarily blocking roadways to try to force the government to do the small thing it had already said it needed to do. The British public and media responded by saying that Insulate Britain was a terrorist group and every member needed to be in jail.

why insulate homes when you can insulate the entire planet

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fun fact - the word tarp is short for tarpaulin, named after pauline h tarpinson the woman who invented the tarp in 1862 when she needed to find a way to quickly get the snow off her ford f150 super crew cab

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rubellavator posted:

why insulate homes when you can insulate the entire planet

tarplanet

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
TAARP weather machine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

wait what thread is this

this is the tarp thread, the trarmp thread is a different one

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
the tarp poo poo started after people argued over putting a tarp over your car before snowstorms and whether or not it would scratch your vehicle when you pulled it off with all that weight on it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah we all made fun of the idea and then someone posted a video of someone successfully using the technique and so we immediately changed our tune and decided that tarps can solve literally any problem

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Stereotype posted:

yeah we all made fun of the idea and then someone posted a video of someone successfully using the technique and so we immediately changed our tune and decided that tarps can solve literally any problem

the metal grommets DEFINITELY scratch your poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Stereotype posted:

Did the video do a close up of the hood and roof to demonstrate that it didn't scratch the paint?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its obvious you stitch velvet onto the car side of the tarp

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stereotype posted:

I mean to be fair any building that can't be built out of tarps, duct tape, string, and few poles, isn't worth building.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
other threads saying to stock up on beans: unhinged, unrealistic, not even good to eat, peak doomerism
weather thread buying hundreds of tarps and covering everything with them: smart, practical solution, good to eat, wise preparation

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarp! *rips and flies away*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
scientists baffled as tarp coverage grows much faster than expected

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

obviously if you're dragging the grommets against your car you hosed up and were not prepared to tarp in the first place

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My secret trick is simply not owning a car

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just use two tarps. car protected from snow-covered tarp by another tarp, and then the much lighter freed tarp is taken off with neither muss nor fuss

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the snow tarp debate was the start of tarp chat and its really been pretty great since

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

can anyone recommend a good tarp to protect my tarp

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
tarp!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gripweed posted:

The British public and media responded by saying that Insulate Britain was a terrorist group and every member needed to be in jail.

You would think that they would love a group whose goal was to literally turn Britain into an island.

Gripweed posted:

I don't think so. I know they call hardware stores something weird there. I think their hardware stores are much smaller than ours, and don't have much stock.

Ironmonger’s

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

alarumklok posted:

I just use two tarps. car protected from snow-covered tarp by another tarp, and then the much lighter freed tarp is taken off with neither muss nor fuss

i genuinely have no idea if this is a good idea or not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

lol what are you gonna die in now, idiot? a canoe? haha

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhSoP1xQB6c

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

white tarp should be deployed over both poles with special access holes for polar wildlife to the well protected snow beneath

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

e: as long as the snow/water isn't too deep I can bicycle in any weather

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the only actual problem with the tarp method is the amount of work in tying it down so it does not blow off is not much of a savings compared to just cleaning it off.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

redleader posted:

i genuinely have no idea if this is a good idea or not

ablative tarping is used in a variety of tarp-related fields (every field) and is an industry standard practice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the only actual problem with the tarp method is the amount of work in tying it down so it does not blow off is not much of a savings compared to just cleaning it off.

get a tarp 2x as big as car, drive front half of car onto the tarp, fold the tarp over the car and under to the rear tires, reverse onto the tarp, leaving the front tires still on the tarp.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Just build your car out of tarps

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a garage on wheels you can drive your car around in

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's a modelling crisis on infinite tarps

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nenonen posted:

tarplanet

best Sisters of Mercy song

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
any goons wanna start a doomer band with me called "tarp and beans"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Also, gently caress today forever