Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Special effects can suffer immensely without the blurring effect of 24fps. Your eyes CAN see at about 60fps and when films are done at higher frames you notice the details of motion more. This can be a big issue in special effects since you can easily create an uncanny valley of sorts if you aren’t really really good at animation.

Combine that with 4k and you can then see the set designs and lack of realism since now you also have a lighting issue.

For a great example of the effects of 4k AND higher fps watch The Hobbit trilogy and tell me how often you feel the effects to be jarring. Then watch its making of documentary to learn just how many practical effects and set pieces they actually used (a lot) and you will see it just did not work.

Similarly, I recommend not watching older scifi like Robocop on anything more HD than DVD - I watched it on Blu-ray and the effects looked awful (Amazingly, Alien and Aliens still look fantastic.)

Platystemon posted:

I don’t see the resemblance.

Now I see it.

It was right the first time, since it's Australia. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Older media on digital, you just have to accept you can not perfectly re-create it, whatever medium you are watching something fundementally different than what people saw in theaters in it's initial release, so when it comes too DVD or blu or 4k a lot of it is just a case by case basis.

Like, the best way to watch Live and Die in LA is probably on an old VHS tape where the reds start to bleed a lot, but the Criterion Blu-Ray of Kiss Me Deadly is pure sex.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Older media on digital, you just have to accept you can not perfectly re-create it, whatever medium you are watching something fundementally different than what people saw in theaters in it's initial release, so when it comes too DVD or blu or 4k a lot of it is just a case by case basis.

Like, the best way to watch Live and Die in LA is probably on an old VHS tape where the reds start to bleed a lot, but the Criterion Blu-Ray of Kiss Me Deadly is pure sex.
/

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As a slight aside to a subject that's already a derail, and at the risk of becoming the IOSM myself, a really can't stand retrogamers who insist that old games need to be played on CRTs or with godawful CRT filters. That stuff looked like dogshit back in the day and I did everything I could before I got an HD TV to minimize the "feel" of a CRT. Oh, what's that, that's how those games were :airquote:intended:airquote: to look? They were intended to look like dogshit?

Also, cf that one loon in the Final Fantasy thread who keeps posting Jorge Luis Borges copypasta in response to AI upscale mods

Edit: my one exception to the "no CRT filters" are the scanlines in Caves of Qud.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Sep 5, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The version of Ong Bak that had been on streaming a while back was definitely from a grungy 16mm print with over saturated colors and I gotta say it added something to the experience.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

iwentdoodie posted:

Guarantee that's a lie.

I've seen sizes 14 to 17 men's in a store.

If you have very narrow or very wide feet you can be left out because those sizes are not economically viable. I was born with club feet and after surgery and and braces I still have short, wide feet with almost no arch at all. The kids called me pidgin toed but honestly it's more like big flappy duck feet. Theoretically I wear a 6EEEE.

Only specialty stores stock 6EEEE. I usually can't afford that, so if I'm shopping at like Walmart it's a 8 1/2 or 9W which leaves me enough room in the toe box to smuggle hamsters. I often buy men's shoes, because those tend to be a little wider at any given length, but obviously that's restricted to runners and loafers. Presumably a shop for trans men and drag performers would have pretty shoes that were wide enough, but they'd still be way too long.

Of course I probably shouldn't wear heels anyway since that would compress the tendons they spent all that money stretching out. But if I lost my mind and wanted to do 1950s housewife cosplay the shoes would be a problem.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hihohe posted:

Which way western man

C:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

As a slight aside to a subject that's already a derail, and at the risk of becoming the IOSM myself, a really can't stand retrogamers who insist that old games need to be played on CRTs or with godawful CRT filters. That stuff looked like dogshit back in the day and I did everything I could before I got an HD TV to minimize the "feel" of a CRT. Oh, what's that, that's how those games were :airquote:intended:airquote: to look? They were intended to look like dogshit?

Also, cf that one loon in the Final Fantasy thread who keeps posting Jorge Luis Borges copypasta in response to AI upscale mods

Edit: my one exception to the "no CRT filters" are the scanlines in Caves of Qud.

Come on over to the Retrogames thread and let's duke it out.

The only "wrong" way to play old games is stretching a 4:3 game to fill a 16:9 screen. Stay far away from those people.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Sep 5, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agents are GO! posted:

Similarly, I recommend not watching older scifi like Robocop on anything more HD than DVD - I watched it on Blu-ray and the effects looked awful (Amazingly, Alien and Aliens still look fantastic.)

It was right the first time, since it's Australia. :colbert:

So disagree. Robocop looks fantastic and the stop motion is always a treat

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sorry to continue the framerate/motion smoothing derail, but I got into a similar one with someone who schooled me on some things a few months back. Can't remember what thread it was, but they pointed out that high framerates are even more important with gaming, specifically VR, than movies. Someone upthread here already reasoned that 24fps is acceptable because film isn't exactly an interactive medium, which makes sense, but when you take into account wearing a VR headset and whipping your head left and right, you need something a lot faster to make the VR environment feel more believable.

The other thing they brought up that now I can't unsee, is maybe film's worst kept secret: Panning shots look like garbage. Maybe this isn't necessarily a framerate thing, but there's a reason filmmakers these days tend to avoid long stationary pans, they have this almost nauseating drag feeling to them.

The last thing they mentioned, that I still haven't gotten my head around, is that the whole idea of 'our eyes having a framerate' isn't really true. If anyone can elucidate on this that'd be fascinating, because I can't really visualize how else our eyes could work. It makes sense that 24fps was more borne out of economical and mechanical concerns at the time, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That dragging actually kicks rear end and helps with editing using whip pans

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

ynohtna posted:

what the gently caress?! :chanpop:

Meet Kristina and Galip Ozturk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Agents are GO! posted:

The only good NTSC/CRT filters are the ones that get real crunchy with it, like a good lovely fuzz pedal for guitar. Horizontal bleed, image retention, way more edge curvature than you’d expect to be acceptable in a consumer product, color bleeding, mmm…

Just make it take ten minutes for the circuits to warm up before it’ll recognize an RF signal on channel three and it’s like I’m back in my basement in 1995 again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

yeah it's not that they didn't look like poo poo, it's that they look even worse now

they did a lot of genius stuff with the tech at the time

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dewgy posted:

Just make it take ten minutes for the circuits to warm up before it’ll recognize an RF signal on channel three and it’s like I’m back in my basement in 1995 again.

Tangentially related, but you might get a kick out of this conversation between a couple of producers thinking up useless and hilarious audio plugins.

a limiter with a built-in comb filter you can't turn off gets me every time

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mister Speaker posted:

Tangentially related, but you might get a kick out of this conversation between a couple of producers thinking up useless and hilarious audio plugins.

a limiter with a built-in comb filter you can't turn off gets me every time

Now that’s my kinda poo poo! :getin:

See also, The Turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kB4iAtbJQ

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What am I missing because I just watched a handful of SotN videos on youtube and none of them have red dot eyes like that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Emulators usually have filter modes you can use to try and simulate the blurriness of CRTs, but yeah if you just output the raw pixels in HD it often looks quite weird because a CRT is basically a filter in and of itself and graphics were designed to be put through it.

Sort of like how modern games might be designed with the assumption you would be using some sort of ambient occlusion and they look rather flatly lit if you turn it off.

This one seems to have been using close to original sprites and seems minimally compressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIODe7RGo7k

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Sep 6, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Len posted:

What am I missing because I just watched a handful of SotN videos on youtube and none of them have red dot eyes like that

YouTube compression strikes again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dewgy posted:

Now that’s my kinda poo poo! :getin:

See also, The Turd.

Sounds like a pretty good fuzz pedal. Clever about the way it's packaged, too.

Reminds me of this, a pedal that makes everything sound like cassette-tape black metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

My buddy has a pedal that you can put fluids into to change its timbre. I think it works on capacitance or something, but you pop out this little capsule and fill it with whatever fluid you want and you get different tones out of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Found one, I just had to keep clicking

If I wasn't looking for them I wouldn't have noticed because it doesn't matter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

My buddy has a pedal that you can put fluids into to change its timbre. I think it works on capacitance or something, but you pop out this little capsule and fill it with whatever fluid you want and you get different tones out of it.

Finally, the tri mode piss, poo poo, and cum pedal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2QfPREu-Q

Like yeah there are obviously cherry-picked extreme examples going on to magnify the difference but either way it's really clear that CRTs made a huge difference in the fidelity of pixel art back then, and pixel art prior to the early 00s was designed with CRTs in mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2QfPREu-Q

Like yeah there are obviously cherry-picked extreme examples going on to magnify the difference but either way it's really clear that CRTs made a huge difference in the fidelity of pixel art back then, and pixel art prior to the early 00s was designed with CRTs in mind.

none of that is worth having to deal with a crt in 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To some people it would be, like no you don't have to have one to play the games and that's good, but if you want to actually see them as they would have been seen when they were made, you do probably want a CRT.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Len posted:

If I wasn't looking for them I wouldn't have noticed because it doesn't matter

Buddy, nothing matters.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Can we skip this argument this time? It happens every time someone brings up CRTs and the filters and all that poo poo, and it's always tedious and both sides just yell past each other.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fine, I'll change the subject and talk about my vinyl record collection.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

McCracAttack posted:

at least vinyls are still taken by goodwill and trash collectors

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

McCracAttack posted:

I generally collect vinyls of records that are important to me. I really want to get my hands on F# A# Infinity by Godspeed you Black Emperor, cus I want to experience the lock track at the end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did someone say vinyl? Is this the thread to talk about funko pops?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Real music fans listen to wax cylinders

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I like the look of the left, the right looks like poo poo. :colbert:

Len posted:

none of that is worth having to deal with a crt in 2022

:emptyquote:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tenebrais posted:

Real music fans listen to wax cylinders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fA9sJ3LBwg&t=40s

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lol at consuming produced media. If I want to hear a song I'll just read the sheet music.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Agents are GO! posted:

I like the look of the left, the right looks like poo poo. :colbert:

Neither is what you would see on a crt.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Exactly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

The last thing they mentioned, that I still haven't gotten my head around, is that the whole idea of 'our eyes having a framerate' isn't really true. If anyone can elucidate on this that'd be fascinating, because I can't really visualize how else our eyes could work. It makes sense that 24fps was more borne out of economical and mechanical concerns at the time, though.

Frames are a convenient way for our technology to handle images that change over time, but they can also be treated as continuous phenomena, varying smoothly across time.

Perhaps it’s easiest to conceive of this by analogy to audio. Digital audio uses discrete samples forty thousand times per second or so, but there is a long tradition of analog representations of sound, whether as grooves in vinyl or magnetic domains in tape or marks on a strip of film.

Do this for each pixel in an image and you’ve eliminated frames.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Neither is what you would see on a crt.
It's literally a picture of a real CRT screen lol.