Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Labor Day Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Makes me wonder how much value the real life jewelry stores have at the sales location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 29, 1952

$1,375 today. No clue how much a new set would have cost.

loving SELFISH ENTITLED BITCHES HAVING FUN ON THEIR VACATION (when we know damned well that Tiff spent most of the summer on that mansion storage scheme so she probably only had maybe a week or two in Hawaii) WHEN THEY COULD BE DOING SOMETHING HELPFUL FOR SOCIETY WHY DIDN'T THE PRETTY GIRLS EVER TALK TO ME IN HIGH SCHOOL I'M SUCH A NICE GUY AND THOSE SLUTS DON'T EVEN GIVE ME A CHANCE

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They do not appear to have tanned very well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

$1,375 today. No clue how much a new set would have cost.

Early 50s seems to be about $200-500
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/vintage-tv-set-ads-1950s/

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Remember when the strip took Gunther and his gal pal to South America, where she was very disappointed to find that the medical clinic she'd be working at wasn't a small rural practice in a picturesquely tiny village where she could shower the little people with her benevolence? Just feeling similar vibes off of ol' 'I paid for a plane ticket to another country to personally help build a school and no I'm not a construction worker' here.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 29, 1952

The set owner was not the same person as the housewife, of course. As we all know, in 1952 wives were unable to own property due to being still legally considered pets - a major improvement from the '40s, when they were considered a kind of large bipedal flower, but still pretty backwards.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 5, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Jericho Caper

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

About $2300 today.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"...should go bask in the wisdom of Mozz, your true dad?"

Phantom looks up to see Mozz moonwalking, spinning on his back

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You hitched up with a rebel warlord lady, you ain't ever going to settle down.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (January 9-15, 1984)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
But why skulls though?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wow, Bongo's dream house really reminds me of the Planet Express building in Futurama.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I respect Bongo's Dream House as is but what if it had propellers?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

wtf

have book preorder launches changed since i was a kid where it was just you standing in line freezing outside the B&N or inside a walmart surrounding a cube they'd uncover and turn into a frenzy as you reached for the worst wizard book you read that year

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

riderchop posted:

wtf

have book preorder launches changed since i was a kid where it was just you standing in line freezing outside the B&N or inside a walmart surrounding a cube they'd uncover and turn into a frenzy as you reached for the worst wizard book you read that year

if it's a fairly popular (and probably YA) book, they can sometimes turn into little mini-party-like events. this happened most commonly with harry potter novels but it wouldn't surprise me if other big franchises had things like this too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

someone awful. posted:

if it's a fairly popular (and probably YA) book, they can sometimes turn into little mini-party-like events. this happened most commonly with harry potter novels but it wouldn't surprise me if other big franchises had things like this too.

Yeah, I've seen it for some of Sanderson's stuff. Haven't seen trivia personally but "we've got a bunch of people waiting here for a few more hours, let's do something to keep em entertained and prioritize getting it here instead of waiting in the cold somewhere else" isn't uncommon.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

someone awful. posted:

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I've seen it for some of Sanderson's stuff. Haven't seen trivia personally but "we've got a bunch of people waiting here for a few more hours, let's do something to keep em entertained and prioritize getting it here instead of waiting in the cold somewhere else" isn't uncommon.

wild yeah what i was describing was harry potter and it was just barebones

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Giant Ethicist posted:

I’m glad people are interested in Haraiso enough to discuss it at least - I do think that this chapter was the best yet. Sadly we’ve only got one more chapter before it runs out, but hopefully he’ll keep publishing it in the magazine it’s in and we’ll get another collection eventually. I think the series has a lot of potential that he’s starting to get the hang of by this point, Miss Haru’s cool omnicompetence notwithstanding. We’ve also only got a couple weeks of Sakaba before we catch up, so I have to think of what else I might bring to the thread.

All the characters in Haraiso and the one before it (sorry, the stand-up bar in the underground - can't remember the name) are just so darn likable and relatable. Wish i could hang out at either of those bars myself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DC Money posted:

the one before it (sorry, the stand-up bar in the underground - can't remember the name)

Uramachi Sakaba

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Speak of the devil...

Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Why would he send his guitar strap to the cleaners?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why would he send his guitar strap to the cleaners?

Because he hasn’t washed it since he bought it & she just hucked it into a bag with all of the other crusty laundry?

(Disclosure: I raised a teenager)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (September 21-23, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (December 15-17, 1919)

Dok's Dippy War Profiteer (May 3, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 27-28, 1937 (the April 26th edition didn't have a Lefty strip))

Blondie Back To Square One (October 13-15, 1932)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Oct 12, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 12-13, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

TBF I've had multiple cats that show affection this way.

Also I like that those two are more or less getting along now.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2022

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Prison Abolition Now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Goddamn it I got a chuckle out of this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Vigo nearly blows it, or I know the Catholic church is against capital punishment, but this is ridiculous!, or Springing the plan into action!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 29, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I dunno prison seems like it's probably the best place for prey species. I mean, they probably still live under some threat of being murdered, but it seems like it's significantly lower in prison.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

So I have a feeling she knows who she killed (probably killed him so he wouldn't convince kit to leave). And I have a feeling Kit knows she knew and that's the end of that relationship.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/5/02

Brenda Starr 5/29/49

Smokey Stover 12/11/49

Everyday Movies 7/18/35

"Hear that horn? That's my Abie."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 5-7, 1939)

Can somebody please Red 'n' Rover this one for me?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's getting exotic tattoos to seem more travelled. The others are wimping out over how painful or permanent they are. Sorry, lasers wont be along for tattoo removal for a long long time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sure, but why is it Born 30 Years Too Soon!?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 15, 1953)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 15, 1953)

awwwwww....

Breaking Cat News