Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
For manual brewing I'd say a V60 or Kalita Wave if you have a gooseneck kettle, or a Clever Dripper if not. If you want to be hands-off and fancy the Moccamaster One Cup would be worth a look. I've never seen a reason to upgrade from my Takeya for cold brew, even if there are better options; it's cheap, simple, and makes a solid batch from my abomination of leftover beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aeropress

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Hario Switch is pretty cool; you can use it like a V60 or like a Clever Dripper. Gives you some more options, but it is pricier than the Clever, and it is easy for the aforementioned switch to pop out of position if you're not being very gentle with it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
https://youtu.be/kpZ9OdODTNc

But , what is coffee....

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've been using the scale that came with the wilfa uniform, but I'm getting a bit sick of having to use my phone at the same time just to have a timer, so I'm in the market for a new scale now.

the scale itself is really responsive and accurate to 0,1g all the way through, and I don't really want to lose that, so it could seem like the hario scale is out of the picture from that perspective. I've read that it is somewhat laggy, and has some stupid tiered system for their accuracy.

which would you guys recommend? my requirements is that it has to be big enough that I can see the time and weight while brewing in a decanter and the display has to be bright. it also has to be responsive with great accuracy. I only use it for filter brews so all I really need from features is a manual timer and manual taring. budget wise, I'd say the acaia lunar is about the maximum of what I would be willing to fork out

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

my lunar has been going for nearly five years now of daily espresso shots without issue and i've been very happy with it. the responsiveness is fantastic and afaict it hasn't drifted a bit out of calibration. probably have to start looking into getting the battery replaced sometime but it's still going ages between recharges

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ulvir posted:

I've been using the scale that came with the wilfa uniform, but I'm getting a bit sick of having to use my phone at the same time just to have a timer, so I'm in the market for a new scale now.

the scale itself is really responsive and accurate to 0,1g all the way through, and I don't really want to lose that, so it could seem like the hario scale is out of the picture from that perspective. I've read that it is somewhat laggy, and has some stupid tiered system for their accuracy.

which would you guys recommend? my requirements is that it has to be big enough that I can see the time and weight while brewing in a decanter and the display has to be bright. it also has to be responsive with great accuracy. I only use it for filter brews so all I really need from features is a manual timer and manual taring. budget wise, I'd say the acaia lunar is about the maximum of what I would be willing to fork out

I have the cheaper timemore scale and it works well, but I don’t use its timer functionality. The times I’ve started it by accident it definitely counted seconds though…

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I always end up using a kitchen timer instead of the timer on my acaia scale

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i like the little kitchen timers on amazon that're magnetic and you can get a four-pack for ten bucks

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Seconding the Timemore scales. I bought this one because my Lunar is really just too small for my Clever. After it fell off one time and made a giant mess I was done.

TIMEMORE Coffee Scale, Espresso Scale ,Weigh Digital Coffee Scale with Timer,2000 Grams TES006 (Black Plus) https://a.co/1daJOKe

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like the Flair is on sale.

https://flairespresso.com/sale/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm looking at this deal right now:

(Canada dollars, so about 600 USD)

This is essentially right in my price range and the review I'm seeing for the breville grinder says it's more than good enough for espresso grinding. Should I jump on this deal?

I'd expect to be buying a bottomless portafilter etc etc at some point in the future but this 'combo deal' seems quite good, and I'd like to avoid buying used.

Ninja edit: I placed the order - there's free returns and all the other versions of this combo sale was already out of stock - this one had 1 left in stock and I didn't want to miss it. Hurray.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 5, 2022

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
One thing that gets brought up about the Gaggia pretty often is the stock pressure is very high. You can buy a replacement OPV spring to bring it down to 9 bar, which looks to be a pretty quick and easy install.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spiggy posted:

One thing that gets brought up about the Gaggia pretty often is the stock pressure is very high. You can buy a replacement OPV spring to bring it down to 9 bar, which looks to be a pretty quick and easy install.

Yeah definitely, was just telling someone that I'm going to be ordering that pressure kit as soon as I finish lunch, which I now have.

Probably a PID mod in the future down the road also.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

FYI I had a Gaggia come through recently that had that "9 bar" spring replacement done and it was still like 12-13 bar at the group. If you're going to install one make sure you have a way to verify it's doing what it claims.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bizwank posted:

FYI I had a Gaggia come through recently that had that "9 bar" spring replacement done and it was still like 12-13 bar at the group. If you're going to install one make sure you have a way to verify it's doing what it claims.

So looked a bit more into it and came across Gagguino. I think that's probably the route I'll be taking as I have a bit of an arduino background already. Going to do more research but with that setup you can see the pressures, set up profiles for specifying the pressure during the brew, etc. It uses a barometer mounted inline so it would be accurate, presuming it's installed in the right location.

Here's a video that explains it a bit but the documentation is on the github

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPNQRCxQZc

Gunder
May 22, 2003

bizwank posted:

My friend's Gaggia had the exact same issue. Was still about 12 bar at the group after installing the new spring.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

VelociBacon posted:

So looked a bit more into it and came across Gagguino. I think that's probably the route I'll be taking as I have a bit of an arduino background already. Going to do more research but with that setup you can see the pressures, set up profiles for specifying the pressure during the brew, etc. It uses a barometer mounted inline so it would be accurate, presuming it's installed in the right location.

Here's a video that explains it a bit but the documentation is on the github

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPNQRCxQZc

The Gagguino mod seems like a pretty cool project. It's completely overkill, but every few months I kick around the idea of buying a Decent to be able to mess with all the variables with my shots.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

That looks pretty dope, and FYI anyone else thinking about doing this, if you use a pre-Pro version you'll have a lot more room inside the case for the extra hardware. The only real upgrade to the Pro is the steam wand, and that's backwards-compatible with older models if you just gotta have it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So in preparation for the Gaggia which arrives tomorrow (hopefully), I picked up a bunch of 58mm stuff like distributor, tamp, new mat, etc. I also picked up a scale and was surprised to see my double shots I was pulling with the lovely delonghi are only an 11g dose. Looking to pick up a precision basket for doubles, probably will pick up an 18g as that's what most people seem to find works well for doubles.

Getting excited. Will be headed to a local roaster to pick up some beans.

bizwank posted:

That looks pretty dope, and FYI anyone else thinking about doing this, if you use a pre-Pro version you'll have a lot more room inside the case for the extra hardware. The only real upgrade to the Pro is the steam wand, and that's backwards-compatible with older models if you just gotta have it.

Yeah it does seem pretty tight in there but I'm also used to working on tiny dumb electronics like inside headphones and that kind of thing so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. One of those situations where you build it all outside of the machine and kinda just put the pieces in bit by bit at the end.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you buy light roast beans and don’t let them rest it’s going to be a frustrating experience most likely.

Make sure you get something darker or something that was roasted about 2 weeks ago.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you buy light roast beans and don’t let them rest it’s going to be a frustrating experience most likely.

Make sure you get something darker or something that was roasted about 2 weeks ago.

Ah good to know. I usually go for dark roast for coffee but I've heard darker oilier beans can be a little rough to grind well so I was going to look for a medium roast.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have had lot of love for the hot water bypass/ preinfusion technique with my gaggia

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Ah good to know. I usually go for dark roast for coffee but I've heard darker oilier beans can be a little rough to grind well so I was going to look for a medium roast.

Medium should be fine, especially with just a few days.

Hyper light would just be the issue.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

due to availability etc. (not wanting to bother with international shipping and so on), I ended up landing on the newer acaia pearl in the end. should be here next week or so. I did try to look for the black mirror, that had a nice design as well, but it is what it is. acaia lunar was just too small for a v60 decanter it seemed

ulvir fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 10, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

due to availability etc. (not wanting to bother with international shipping and so on), I ended up landing on the newer acaia pearl in the end. should be here next week or so. I did try to look for the black mirror, that had a nice design as well, but it is what it is. acaia lunar was just too small for a v60 decanter it seemed

The Pearl is great. I use mine every time I brew filter. The Lunar is too small for that task, I use my Lunar with my espresso machine instead, as the Pearl wouldn't fit on the drip tray.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Please pardon my ignorance, but why is timed grinding in an important feature in grinders? I mostly make pour overs/immersion coffee, so I’m particularly concerned with the weight output, time has never been a consideration for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Please pardon my ignorance, but why is timed grinding in an important feature in grinders? I mostly make pour overs/immersion coffee, so I’m particularly concerned with the weight output, time has never been a consideration for me.

People figure out how many seconds gives them x grams and use that for consistency I think.

Also, I ordered a Eureka mignon Chrono and the espresso burrs last night after being convinced that the Breville smart grinder pro wasn't going to be satisfactory. Hurray for spending money!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Weight is definitely a more consistent metric. If you are trying to be super precise for single dosing, generally you'll want to weigh out the beans, dump them into an empty hopper, and run them all through.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bandire posted:

Weight is definitely a more consistent metric. If you are trying to be super precise for single dosing, generally you'll want to weigh out the beans, dump them into an empty hopper, and run them all through.

Yeah I assume people using time are using full hoppers and not grinding for espresso.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I assume people using time are using full hoppers and not grinding for espresso.

Ah yes, this makes sense. Although, I've watched enough videos where people single dose that I do that for my Baratza Encore as well.

I've been looking into potentially upgrading my grinder, to either a Baratza Sette or a Baratza Vario, and that is where I stumbled upon the timed grinder settings. Although for someone such as myself where coffee is kinda an on and off thing it looks to be overkill.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Ah yes, this makes sense. Although, I've watched enough videos where people single dose that I do that for my Baratza Encore as well.

I've been looking into potentially upgrading my grinder, to either a Baratza Sette or a Baratza Vario, and that is where I stumbled upon the timed grinder settings. Although for someone such as myself where coffee is kinda an on and off thing it looks to be overkill.

I would think you go to a nicer grinder for the quality of the ground coffee it can produce and you figure out how to get the dose consistent with whatever settings you are provided.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

obi_ant posted:

The Sette is pretty much espresso only, and it is shockingly loud. I have one, and it's fine overall, but I wish I was more patient and just spent the extra money for a Niche instead.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
If I’m going to set a switchbot to press the button on my moccamaster for when I wake up, of course I’ll need to grind the night before but when do i wet the filter..?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

People figure out how many seconds gives them x grams and use that for consistency I think.

Also, I ordered a Eureka mignon Chrono and the espresso burrs last night after being convinced that the Breville smart grinder pro wasn't going to be satisfactory. Hurray for spending money!

I absolutely love my eureka Manuale. I think you’ll be happy.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bandire posted:

The Sette is pretty much espresso only, and it is shockingly loud. I have one, and it's fine overall, but I wish I was more patient and just spent the extra money for a Niche instead.

Yeah, go for a quieter grinder especially if you are grinding early in the morning. Lol

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah, go for a quieter grinder especially if you are grinding early in the morning. Lol

This is actually what convinced me to get a fancy hand grinder in the first place. At the time, I was living in an apartment with neighbors on four sides with paper-thin walls. I could hear a lot of kitchen noise from the adjoining unit, so I got self-conscious about how much noise I was making, and a hand grinder is about as silent as you can get. It was also better suited to the tiny amount of counter space I had there

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can’t imagine being able to keep it consistent with a timed grinder. won’t there be a big variance between how much you can grind through a very dense vs brittle variety? how would you dial in the perfect time without using a scale, in which case, you have a scale at hand, so why not use that to dose it every time. something that is actually accurate

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
if you weigh the beans beforehand and only put the correct amount into the hopper then you can time your grind all you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't measure coffee using grind time, use a scale.