Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"The boy just turned TWO, Otto!"

lmao, I love how so done with all this poo poo King Goon was this ep. The drunker he got, the better he got, Paddy C is killing it and I'm gonna miss him when he presumably goes in an ep or two. I really like Rhaenyra too (and again, gonna miss the actress when the time skip happens), must be maddening having to put up with all this disrespectful, speculative poo poo and creeps like Lord Lionbar hitting on her.

As for Matt Daemon, yeah, it was very ridiculous the way the battle played out but I like the general idea behind it, how the only thing to spur him into sorting this poo poo out was a genuine offer of help from his brother. But um, surely he's hosed now, yeah? Given the way he dragged Crabmaster 5000 at the end there, neither of them were wearing gloves...

Basically, as things currently stand I like our three Targs (and Alicent too, I guess) and the crabs can take everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I thought the battle was fine but a much better way of going about it would be for Daemon to be wearing full armor.

You can run pretty fast in full armor and it would have made the archers seem less idiotic -- you could have arrows constantly clanging off Daemon until he stands still for slightly too long and one of them finds a gap

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm not at home to check but aren't we already operating on standard fantasy 'Armour is useless'*. Weren't several arrow hits straight through his armour?

* Although it devolved, I really liked the opening seasons of the original GOT for not being that. Where Jorah Mormont completely no-sells a Dothraki blade thanks to his armour in the first season for instance.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

arrows cant hurt you if you dont believe in them

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The armour did seem to be protecting him from being instantly killed by the arrows.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

"Dragons can circle Bloodstone until they fall out of the sky, but the Crab People have no reason to leave those caves".

Just go Harrenhal on the cave entrances and turn the caves into a sealed tomb.

It kinda annoys me how dragons are mobile flamethrowers in both this and GoT, capable of strafing a few handfuls of dudes and not much more. They're literal WMDs, capable of reducing any structure, man-made or natural, into a pile of molten slag.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I'm not at home to check but aren't we already operating on standard fantasy 'Armour is useless'*. Weren't several arrow hits straight through his armour?

* Although it devolved, I really liked the opening seasons of the original GOT for not being that. Where Jorah Mormont completely no-sells a Dothraki blade thanks to his armour in the first season for instance.

yeah a few of them punched through. I think it'd be way cooler visually and in terms of believability if they were just constantly plinking off his (obviously high quality and expensive) plate mail until one of them finally snuck through

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pattonesque posted:

I thought the battle was fine but a much better way of going about it would be for Daemon to be wearing full armor.

You can run pretty fast in full armor and it would have made the archers seem less idiotic -- you could have arrows constantly clanging off Daemon until he stands still for slightly too long and one of them finds a gap

I don't disagree with you dramatically, but think about it for a second : that's a prop safety nightmare.

They only did that in Throne of Blood because Mifune was legit insane as an actor, no one reasonable would ever do that.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
You could do it with some unconvincing CGI, it might look bad but so does a lot of CGI on this show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

"Dragons can circle Bloodstone until they fall out of the sky, but the Crab People have no reason to leave those caves".

It kinda annoys me how dragons are mobile flamethrowers in both this and GoT, capable of strafing a few handfuls of dudes and not much more. They're literal WMDs, capable of reducing any structure, man-made or natural, into a pile of molten slag.

Dragon fire can't melt fortress walls. Harrenhall was an inside job :tinfoil:

But seriously, if they really wanted they could probably come up with some semi-plausible explanation. IIRC the melting points of different minerals vary by hundreds of degrees C. So dragon fire burns hot enough to melt sandstone or whatever but not hot enough for the volcanic rock on the island.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

i think the intention with the flaming arrow barrage in the beginning is that dragons are ultimately less effective in this time because people are actually prepared for them to show up and have some contingencies with that in mind

the cave poo poo is still insanely stupid.

they should have done my insanely stupid idea instead: make the crabmen crab men, capable of burrowing under the sand for long periods of time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

yeah a few of them punched through. I think it'd be way cooler visually and in terms of believability if they were just constantly plinking off his (obviously high quality and expensive) plate mail until one of them finally snuck through

Yeah an arrow at range should just bounce of his fancy chestplate. Found a Youtube video, He takes 2 straight through the breastplate, and one in the leg. The leg hit does legitimatly look less armoured/found a chink.

GABA ghoul posted:

Dragon fire can't melt fortress walls. Harrenhall was an inside job :tinfoil:

But seriously, if they really wanted they could probably come up with some semi-plausible explanation. IIRC the melting points of different minerals vary by hundreds of degrees C. So dragon fire burns hot enough to melt sandstone or whatever but not hot enough for the volcanic rock on the island.

You don't need to burn anyone if they're to far in. Just send a steady stream of fire into the cave, all the oxygen gets consumed, and they all asphyxiate. That's how it worked on Iwo Jima and other larger caves in the pacific.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 5, 2022

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

TBH in the books it's explicitly the case that even with the dragons that harrenhal'd harrenhal, one of the conqueror trio was like "man it's a really good thing the lannisters rode out to meet us in open battle because I don't think we coulda done anything about casterly rock if they holed up in there." They can do a lot to man-made and natural structures but not complete destruction.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

On the one hand that’s mildly silly, on the other, cooler hand : gently caress yeah, crabmen.

In conclusion they should put crab-people in more shows. Give me murderous werecrabs in a reboot of Will and Grace I don’t care.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

stev posted:

The armour did seem to be protecting him from being instantly killed by the arrows.

They should have tipped the arrows with crabs.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
George must have seen all of the crabs in Fromsoft games when he was there and felt inspired.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

stev posted:

Yeah, his AC was crazy high. If the archers did not roll critical hit they would have never hit Daemon and force hit to take short rest.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't disagree with you dramatically, but think about it for a second : that's a prop safety nightmare.

They only did that in Throne of Blood because Mifune was legit insane as an actor, no one reasonable would ever do that.

lmao Mifune would be *incredible* in anything GOT-related

but yeah I think you could do it in CGI without too much trouble

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Too be honest, if I'd thought about it i would have assumed all the arrows whistling past him were CGI.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That DICK! posted:

i think the intention with the flaming arrow barrage in the beginning is that dragons are ultimately less effective in this time because people are actually prepared for them to show up and have some contingencies with that in mind

the cave poo poo is still insanely stupid.

they should have done my insanely stupid idea instead: make the crabmen crab men, capable of burrowing under the sand for long periods of time.

I thought the flaming arrow barrage was dumb too. Let's attack the dragon using arrows made from the dragons' greatest weakness - fire.

reignonyourparade posted:

TBH in the books it's explicitly the case that even with the dragons that harrenhal'd harrenhal, one of the conqueror trio was like "man it's a really good thing the lannisters rode out to meet us in open battle because I don't think we coulda done anything about casterly rock if they holed up in there." They can do a lot to man-made and natural structures but not complete destruction.

Yeah, Casterly Rock is an entire city built inside a ridiculously large promontory, as mentioned by Ser Dugnutt Lannister in this episode. It could sustain itself for a while against dragon attack. Likewise for a few other places built during the Age of Heroes like Storm's End. But a few hundred Crab People hanging out in some natural caves on an unremarkable island with no supply chains, unable to sail anywhere without getting their ships incinerated? They should have been dragon fodder the day Matt Daemon turned up.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if yojimbo showed up and just started chopping his way through dragon fire i'd have no complaints

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Llamadeus posted:

Also crab guy isn't set up as some sort of mystery, they spell out in a previous episode that he's an agent of a foreign power

The guy who got turned into dragon toejam called crabman "Prince Drahar" and the Triarchy is mentioned in the next scene by Lord Twin Lannister. So Crabman is just a disaffected noble who got grayscale, is going to die a horrible death and wanted to watch the world burn get eaten by crabs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

roomtone posted:

if yojimbo showed up and just started chopping his way through dragon fire i'd have no complaints

Game of Thrones: Yojimbo with Mifune swanning his way through the Seven Kingdoms would *own so hard*

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I super loved how they're losing the war in the stepstones so badly because they took so much time to find just the right crab claws on the beach to make little army men for their big map.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Tucker posted:

I super loved how they're losing the war in the stepstones so badly because they took so much time to find just the right crab claws on the beach to make little army men for their big map.

Finally something for Daemon and Viserys to bond over :shobon:

Edit: Based on Stannis' D&D Campaign Map Table, whoever is the biggest roleplaying nerd gets to have Dragonstone. It's why Viserys is so upset all the time despite being King and took his 2 year old to a Renn Faire, he wants that sweet DM setup.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's really weird watching bret hart as king but i'm getting used to it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Game of Thrones: Yojimbo with Mifune swanning his way through the Seven Kingdoms would *own so hard*

I do this in Skyrim all the time, using a couple of mods that add samurai armor, kimonos, and katanas. It’s fun :)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Jerusalem posted:

Finally something for Daemon and Viserys to bond over :shobon:

Edit: Based on Stannis' D&D Campaign Map Table, whoever is the biggest roleplaying nerd gets to have Dragonstone. It's why Viserys is so upset all the time despite being King and took his 2 year old to a Renn Faire, he wants that sweet DM setup.

Viserys is totally the guy who hires a professional shop to paint his 4,000 point Tau Warhammer army but can't play for poo poo

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This episode was better than anything from the last five seasons of game of thrones.

For me, it’s matching the production levels of later GOT with the writing of early GOT. It’s quite nice to see.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jerusalem posted:

While tactically the entire setup with the years-long impasse between Daemon and Crabman's armies made little sense*,
* I can only assume that Crabman is getting regular supplies from the Free Cities supporting him, and that for whatever reason the Sea Snake's navy isn't allowed around that side of the island(!?!?) but that makes little sense as well.

Considering the wars the US has been in during my lifetime, the fact that Daemon couldn’t end things sooner sounds about right.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

ok hear me out: Replace Bronn with Yojimbo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

For me, it’s matching the production levels of later GOT with the writing of early GOT. It’s quite nice to see.

Also some of the fun balance of S6/S1 where you get a cool fun battle, while going back to S1 politics, being the core.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
viserys was such a delight this week getting increasingly pissed off by all his lords' little demands

i have to go hunting?? i have to actually leave the lodge?? i have to use a spear?? this is all BULLSHIT

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

ok hear me out: Replace Bronn with Yojimbo.

anytime Yojimbo is off screen, the Targaryens should be asking "Where's Yojimbo?"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Barreft posted:

And here I thought I was the only one

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly it took me a bit to realize Viserys is this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzV2JdS4QAQ

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

Cool so we just watch the show in a completely detached way because there are a handful of main characters and we need to view everything through the lens of actors and thousands of other people just being plot devices, not people living in the world they're depicting. It's not any kind of living world to be immersed in at all, and anything about the show that doesn't add up if you use your brain for two seconds should be discarded because they aren't trying to make a show with any kind of verisimilitude. How silly of me to want a little more out of 'prestige tv'

This is an old argument for why the quality of GoT declined so starkly between the early and later seasons. I would also like more social commentary and less soap opera, but at least this time around the show hasn't promised anything more than palace intrigue from the jump.

edit:
I think this is the article I was thinking of:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

quote:

At its best, GOT was a beast as rare as a friendly dragon in King’s Landing: it was sociological and institutional storytelling in a medium dominated by the psychological and the individual. This structural storytelling era of the show lasted through the seasons when it was based on the novels by George R. R. Martin, who seemed to specialize in having characters evolve in response to the broader institutional settings, incentives and norms that surround them.

After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 6, 2022

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I agree the mechanics of the battle at the end were a bit off. The idea of them being able to hide in the caves, fine, I'll buy that, they're deep, the crab people know them well, probably tons of little inlets and entrances they can use, but how is a war going poorly if you have the enemy completely surrounded in a cave? It sounds like they're going all over the placing sinking the Sea Snake's ships and we even see these massive ships burning down, but how are they doing that if they're stuck in the caves? We even see what I think are catapults hurling flaming bombs at boats? A catapult it not something you can just hide in a cave either. The whole character point, which is "we can win but only if Daemon risks his life" and then Daemon is forced to do that or accept the king's help is great, but it's super unclear to me what about Daemon being there cause everyone to run out of their heavily fortified area, a strategy that's winning the war? We even see at the start of the episode Daemon brings his dragon onto the field and the archers nearly kill him - it's working even when Daemon is on the back of a dragon why wouldn't it work if it's Daemon on foot? The moment he starts attacking just pull everyone back into the caves except maybe a handful of archers to take some pot shots.

This kind of thing is a super easy fix with one or two added pieces of dialogue during the war council meeting.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Barreft posted:

The Harrenhal Screwjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

unlimited shrimp posted:

This is an old argument for why the quality of GoT declined so starkly between the early and later seasons. I would also like more social commentary and less soap opera, but at least this time around the show hasn't promised anything more than palace intrigue from the jump.

edit:
I think this is the article I was thinking of:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

i dont mind this especially since once we get deeper into the dance it doesn't exactly follow narrative story conventions/tropes and i am curious how many people are gonna be pissed off by the ending.