Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No, it would probably mean a lot of dry lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We'll see who has the last laugh when a Cat-5 hits Anaheim

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
This is literally how Sharknado starts.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

in Anaheim it would be a Street-Takeover-nado

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

No, it would probably mean a lot of dry lightning

One model calls for all of California to be absolutely drenched, which would be utterly amazing so no chance in hell

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CPColin posted:

We'll see who has the last laugh when a Cat-5 hits Anaheim

weathering the storm over an authentic cajun meal in the blue bayou restaurant

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i hope the waterparks are kept open pass labor day for all this heat!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
friends, the water riots come

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Smythe posted:

weathering the storm over an authentic cajun meal in the blue bayou restaurant

Based on my childhood memories, at least if the storm knocks the power out, it won't affect the overall illumination level in there.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's a quarter to eleven and still 81° outside :gonk:

I think the cricket I can hear is going to burst into flames, it's cricketing so fast

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah it's been too hot at night to even run the whole house fan in the morning

still not as bad as hot sweating new orleans summer nights though, thankfully. if we lose power at night here it's a-ok

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sure, hit LA with a cat 5. At this point we would all shrug and go “yeah, whatever.”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its gonna be 108 tomorrow at 3k elevation. 104 at 4k feet, which is insane, its almost never above 95 that high up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Larry Parrish posted:

its gonna be 108 tomorrow at 3k elevation. 104 at 4k feet, which is insane, its almost never above 95 that high up

i'm researching underground parking structures nearby in case we need to flee our brownouted house this week with a babby that can't withstand above 75

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm researching underground parking structures nearby in case we need to flee our brownouted house this week with a babby that can't withstand above 75

richest country in the world

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Larry Parrish posted:

richest country in the world

does jackson, mississippi have potable water yet? the collapse of the texas power grid last year, we're witnessing the collapse of the country's infrastructure in real time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My mind keeps focusing on dumb poo poo like what the dog is going to chase if this heat wave kills every tree squirrel in the valley

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah 87 up here at 7k. Least the nights drop down to the low 50s so we can leave the windows open all night, button up in the morning and go dark all day.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Man, right wingers be blaming libs for the power grid issue. When it's conservative policies that are causing the warming and a private company that refuses to upgrade. But I'm sure they blame windmills or something. Speaking of, is the bottleneck the grid itself or the supply to the grid?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The cold water coming out of my faucet is 85 degrees.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Man, right wingers be blaming libs for the power grid issue. When it's conservative policies that are causing the warming and a private company that refuses to upgrade. But I'm sure they blame windmills or something. Speaking of, is the bottleneck the grid itself or the supply to the grid?

It's the grid's shareholders.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FogHelmut posted:

The cold water coming out of my faucet is 85 degrees.

It should be illegal for landlords to paint exterior walls dark colors

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's a multifaceted problem comprising, in no particular order:

• Transmission lines are desperately in need of repair and replacement almost everywhere, particularly on the long distance high voltage lines, and power companies have been skimping on maintenance for over a decade to pocket more money for executive bonuses.
  • There are a lot of lines that - even though they work in theory - can't be used during extreme heat/wind conditions because they represent a massive fire hazard. Said lines should have been buried ages ago - or at least way more heavily clear cut around - but again that costs :10bux: that could go into some C-level's year end bonus instead.
  • We were supposed to have much more solar built out by now, but the chips shortage decimated PV supplies and we're many GW's off the planned pace. Granted even if we had it solar doesn't help much with peak hour demand since it starts to taper off just as the biggest demand kicks in and battery technology to store GW's of solar-generated power for later just doesn't exist right now.
  • As such we need more nuclear in order to create a sufficient baseload while hitting the state's clean energy targets, but among the usual challenges in spooling up nuclear California has also had a hell of a time securing a reliable method of waste storage. Currently the only reactor still running in the state has to store all its waste on-site as a result, which is less than ideal to put things mildly.

We're not in as bad a spot as say, Texas, but it's been obvious for a while that a comprehensive overhaul of grid infrastructure is needed. Unfortunately PG&E et al have zero interest in investing in that, which is one of the reasons a lot of us itt have been clamoring for California to put them under state control. Unfortunately such an endeavor would take years of hoop jumping and legal challenges and rock the boat way harder than presidential hopeful Gavin Newsom is presumably willing to rock it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CPColin posted:

It should be illegal for landlords to paint exterior walls dark colors

Lol my house is almost white. The water sitting in the pipes in the walls is colder. It gets up to 85 after running for a while.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, imagine my surprise when the bidet tao went from cool to warm to warmer.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
We did it. 115 at Sac International.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tayter Swift posted:

We did it. 115 at Sac International.

109 in placerville right now. I keep a cheap thermoplastic comb in my car and left it on my black pleather/mesh seats and it melted into a tangle lol.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddamn it’s hot. Even my pool is 92.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Whelp fire near Big Bear

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's one here in El Dorado County too, we saw the smoke lol. As if it being 109 wasn't enough. Its a little cloudy too, if the smoke causes any rain seeding the humidity might actually make it hot enough to kill people lol.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Whelp fire near Big Bear

Campers are constantly building illegal fires out there.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

From my porch

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:ohdear:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty huge fire outside of Hemet as well.

Edit - looks like they're evacuating areas in Angelus Oaks around the Big Bear fire

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i spent two hours in the heat today, it felt great and then i took a hot shower and nearly fainted lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think ive been tempered in the unsealed, barely functional HVAC of my lovely pizza restaurant and it's made me stronger cuz other than being slapped with stinging air when I left for work today it hasn't been that bad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another upside is that even though it's 80 degrees in the restaurant when you aren't in the kitchen part and even hotter over by the oven, it's still 25 degrees colder than outside so you barely notice lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:tif:

Looking very unlikely we're gonna get through tomorrow without blackouts. Only skating by narrowly today because it's a holiday and business/industrial demand is significantly reduced.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

From my porch

Perhaps consider traveling to another location.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Looking very unlikely we're gonna get through tomorrow without blackouts. Only skating by narrowly today because it's a holiday and business/industrial demand is significantly reduced.

If I were governor I would have simply declared tomorrow a holiday as well.

And by holiday I mean we're seriously not going to let kids walk home from school tomorrow are we (I ask naiively)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

If I were governor I would have simply declared tomorrow a holiday as well.

And by holiday I mean we're seriously not going to let kids walk home from school tomorrow are we (I ask naiively)

Have you considered the disaster this could cause for stock prices???