Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
WNUF didn't do much for me either but as a non-American I don't have the same connection to what they were mostly imitating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Elf and Christmas Vacation (along with Jim Carrey's Grinch and the original animated Grinch) are holiday staples in my household that get shown every year so I'm really looking forward being able to present them in 4k for the first time this year. Hopefully they do a good job with them.

They don't know it yet but I'm adding in Fatman with Mel Gibson and Walton Goggins this year and they'll never see it coming.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve literally never seen any release cover for this movie that wasn’t just the old Clark-being-electrocuted poster, to the point where I genuinely thought this was a different movie for a second :wtc:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1564384034326814722?s=21&t=KEc2FufLn9Jzn8GV8FPa9A

Tag yourselves, I’m Chevy Chase’s Size-20 collar.

I think I'm just gonna go out of my way and make a custom slipcover for this thing.

What the gently caress...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bowmore posted:

WNUF didn't do much for me either but as a non-American I don't have the same connection to what they were mostly imitating

WNUF is just more interesting in concept than execution. It's really underwhelming and while the fake commercials arewas a fun gimmick they definitely over did and it the whole time I was waiting to see more of the story part which itself was just a weak version of stuff we've seen done much better decades ago. Maybe being American gives it an extra layer but I'm not British and I certainly enjoyed Ghost Watch. Even if each of these films is referential to TV broadcasts of their respective countries one of them stands on their own and if WNUF was a better movie it would too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just bit the bullet going into Halloween season and ordered the Australian Over the Garden Wall blu-ray which I've gleaned from forum posts is region free. Cartoon Network sucks for letting their physical media coverage get so spotty, I think you can get Adventure Time now at least but only as a boxed set and not as individual seasons after a certain point? I could be wrong on that one, I just remember feeling slighted by having bought some seasons piecemeal already.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
It’s been confirmed by Gorilla Pictures that Vinegar Syndrome will be releasing a 4K of Sidekicks (the Chuck Norris film) in the future. There’s also (pretty convincing) related speculation that the Cynthia Rothrock film Sworn to Justice is coming too, which is super exciting. I haven’t seen Sidekicks since the 90s, could be worth revisiting!

Edit: Sworn to Justice has now been confirmed “this month or next” by Gorilla Pictures rep - probably November based on what we know so far - let’s loving go boys

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 6, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Zavvi was having a sale on criterions

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The AGFA Doris Wishman box sets magnetically stick together.

edit: Also, they reassigned the catalog numbers at some point since the initial announcement. Twilight Years is 38, Moonlight Years is 39, Final Flesh is 41, so the third Wishman set will be 40.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 7, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

PinkoBastard posted:

It’s been confirmed by Gorilla Pictures that Vinegar Syndrome will be releasing a 4K of Sidekicks (the Chuck Norris film) in the future. There’s also (pretty convincing) related speculation that the Cynthia Rothrock film Sworn to Justice is coming too, which is super exciting. I haven’t seen Sidekicks since the 90s, could be worth revisiting!

Edit: Sworn to Justice has now been confirmed “this month or next” by Gorilla Pictures rep - probably November based on what we know so far - let’s loving go boys

I'm onboard for sidekicks, but I know it's a pretty bad movie. Now if they do Ladybugs I think I'll haveta pass.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

for a brief minute i was like “what if people ordering the Wishman sets unknowingly put them next to some vhs on their shelf…??” but then i remembered the only people buying them will obviously 100% know not to do that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I hadn't even thought of that, but the VHSs I own were inherited from my roomate's dad, so it's History Channel poo poo, and like Air Force One.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Austin Powers 25th anniversary trilogy set coming out that looks insane.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1567512439922593792

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Austin Powers 25th anniversary trilogy set coming out that looks insane.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1567512439922593792

I'd only want one of those movies, and it's been 20 years, so I'm not even sure about that

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Oh, it's only been a quarter-century since the first Austin Powers movie, huh? Well whaddaya know. Hm. Hard to believe that was only two and a half decades ago. Wow.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the first one holds up. its still very funny and works exceptionally well. the second one just like when it came out is more of the same, but its still pretty funny and works. that third one is still pretty rough.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

dorium posted:

the first one holds up. its still very funny and works exceptionally well. the second one just like when it came out is more of the same, but its still pretty funny and works. that third one is still pretty rough.

I wonder how much of British TERFdom springs from "That's not a lady! That's a man, baby!"

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Coincidentally watched the first one yesterday for the first time in over a decade. It's less icky than I would have thought and is a very very fun time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldmember is the Godfather III of comedy trilogies, I still cannot get over how bad it was. I always liked Spy Who Shagged Me more than the original too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had a friend who really liked Goldmember, and that was all I needed to know to never watch it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thatoaklandkid posted:

Coincidentally watched the first one yesterday for the first time in over a decade. It's less icky than I would have thought and is a very very fun time.

I showed it to my gal a few years ago, and yeah, I was surprised at how much held up. The reference I made in my last post is maybe the roughest, but I think it does a good job of showing that Austin is out-of-touch and needs to change.

Oh, and if you ever wanna be horrified, look up Random Task.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I showed it to my gal a few years ago, and yeah, I was surprised at how much held up. The reference I made in my last post is maybe the roughest, but I think it does a good job of showing that Austin is out-of-touch and needs to change.

Yea that's the key thing. Most of the jokes are about how Austin's "charm" is completely outdated and he needs to change if he's going to fit into the modern world. And as the movie goes on he does change, he starts to express himself more genuinely and tries to connect with Vanessa on a human level not just a "wanna shag?" level.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's the key thing. Most of the jokes are about how Austin's "charm" is completely outdated and he needs to change if he's going to fit into the modern world. And as the movie goes on he does change, he starts to express himself more genuinely and tries to connect with Vanessa on a human level not just a "wanna shag?" level.

Which is ridiculous, because she was clearly a secret fembot from the get-go.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Spy Who Shagged has some fun ideas but unfortunately Fat Bastard is a comedy black hole and that weirdly seems to be where Myers’ heart is

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t see any of the late 90s or early 00s sex comedies when I was of an age where I might have enjoyed them, so now I just don’t care. No real desire to watch American Pie or Austin Powers at this point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn’t see any of the late 90s or early 00s sex comedies when I was of an age where I might have enjoyed them, so now I just don’t care. No real desire to watch American Pie or Austin Powers at this point.

Austin Powers isn't a sex comedy. It's a James Bond/60's spy movie parody, where the main character is an outdated Sex Icon from the 60's. It's (stupidly) horny, but it's not a sex comedy like American Pie or Eurotrip.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

StudioCanal is putting out a UHD of The Driver. I got to see it on 35mm earlier in the year and it’s a banger. Drive cribs from it directly.

I’m hoping this means Kino will get a crack at the US release. I’d watch it again. God, it’s so cool seeing them do poo poo with cars and know that they’re actually doing it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did Austin Powers age better than James Bond?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

GrandpaPants posted:

Did Austin Powers age better than James Bond?

Spectre literally lifted a plot twist from Goldmember, so yes.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31289

Pretty interesting set from Sony coming. A lot of first timers for the format.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

morestuff posted:

Spy Who Shagged has some fun ideas but unfortunately Fat Bastard is a comedy black hole and that weirdly seems to be where Myers’ heart is

A podcast I like hosted an hour long debate on whether or not Fat Bastard actually did eat a baby. That’s not really connected to your thing but now it’s all I think about when the topic of Fat Bastard comes up.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Boywhiz88 posted:

When a set like this happens do the movies usually get standalone releases? I'd love SLC Punk and Synecdoche, New York

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always forget Fat Bastard was in the 2nd, because it felt like such a Goldmember quality character.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

RichterIX posted:

When a set like this happens do the movies usually get standalone releases? I'd love SLC Punk and Synecdoche, New York

50/50, but I didn't want to buy the columbia collections, and they (sony) started releasing poo poo from that first volume a year later (like lawrence of arabia and strangelove)
I'm actually waiting out taxi driver from vol 2 of that.

The Hitchcock stuff, though that's universal, all got individual skus, and they also started doing that for the universal monsters stuff.

I feel like the expensive sets are subsidizing the releases and then the rest of us just buy the normal poo poo, and they'd be idiots to not want to sell as many copies of a release as possible. The majority of these companies just do a second cut or something exclusive or other bonus stuff or knick knacks for dummies. Not many of these get stuck in sets forever.

Plus even if they do, some other region will license the work already done and uhd is region free, so someone will get my money.

i'd buy run lola run, city of lost children, slc, and synedoche for sure.

gently caress a msrp of 300 bucks though, FOH sony

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 8, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
forgot the halloween box set that only exists because Shout was only allowed to license the rest of those movies as one box set cuz the studio knew no one would ever buy h20

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

forgot the halloween box set that only exists because Shout was only allowed to license the rest of those movies as one box set cuz the studio knew no one would ever buy h20

I sure wish they’d do 6 w/ Producer’s Cut as a stand-alone release - and I’m holding out hope, because I’m not interested in the other 2 and not interested ENOUGH in 6 to pay for the whole set.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

I wonder how much of British TERFdom springs from "That's not a lady! That's a man, baby!"
For some reason this is always how people remember this quote, when what he actually says in the movie is "It's a man, man"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If anybody wants to go in on a set to part it out I'd really love to just have Orlando...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

Seems like an odd mix of movies

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

For some reason this is always how people remember this quote, when what he actually says in the movie is "It's a man, man"

You've got it wrong. The quote is "Luke. I am a man, baby!".

Anyway, I always liked the first movie. It was pretty interesting when I decided to watch all the Sean Connery Bond films in my 20s because then I saw how much poo poo in Austin Powers is just copied directly from those movies. I'm sure some stuff doesn't hold up but the scene where he's trying to turn the little car around in the hallway is one of my all time favorite gags in a movie. The second film is probably one of those things that's hilarious when you're 12-15. I haven't seen that in a solid 15 years. That last movie is utterly dreadful and is crammed full of pop culture references that were already dated when the movie came out. The movie outright admits that they were just beating jokes from the previous one to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9H3uCpl48&t=80s

We're both kinda right. It's probably conflated between the 2 times that gag comes up in the movie.