Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If the ever-authoritative Walking With Beasts taught me anything it’s that giant sloths had more than enough defenses already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tunicate posted:

if they're giant they don't need to stink to be not worth the effort of killing

Well maybe they should have. Maybe if they smelled godawful this wouldn't have happened
https://www.science.org/content/article/humans-drove-giant-sloths-extinction

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jazerus posted:

as it turns out interbreeding between species is more complicated than you can realistically capture in a hierarchical tree. two organisms can be very genetically different but as long as certain parts of the genome haven't changed then you'll still have compatibility. but if they have changed, then two organisms can be almost genetically identical and be unable to interbreed. generally, species in different genuses or families have accumulated enough of these incompatibilities that it doesn't work, but not always
I believe you can also have populations that are genetically compatible, but just won't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrainDance posted:

I read that sloths basically let themselves get insanely filthy and maybe even grow junk on them as a defense mechanism to make them smell so horrible they're unpalatable to predators.

If giant sloths do the same thing I dunno if you'd really wanna be their friend. If they did and they still lived maybe the world would be a completely different place as we'd all have to deal with the giant stank animal walking around, too slow to get it away from you fast enough.

A goon joke feels too easy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's not very much we really can know about the overall behavior of giant sloths, since the remaining existing sloths are only distantly related and they have a wildly different habitat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Guide dogs are purposefully bred, I know

Yes, but they're not really for "pure" inbred show dog breeds anymore, at least here. My wife fosters puppies that are to be guide dogs, and they're generally bred for temperament. So they tend to be more-or-less a named breed, with their parentage getting noted, but not the kind you take to a dog show.

Current one, half lab half golden retriever

Previous, "pure" labrador

posted because how could one not love their big adorable dog faces, ancient roman patricians or 2022 goons

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

posted because how could one not love their big adorable dog faces, ancient roman patricians or 2022 goons

As a prolific lurker here, I shall break my normal silence to say APPROVED. Please continue

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not very much we really can know about the overall behavior of giant sloths, since the remaining existing sloths are only distantly related and they have a wildly different habitat.

We do have that super neat site which is a bunch of preserved tracks of a sloth and a hunting party and the following show down, which is like amazingly cool.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it’s more an indication that people have been people. We don’t necessarily have writing to explain what was happening before a certain point, but I posit that people were very much still people.

People 10kya were basically the same as us today. Yes, some technology obviously separates us, but generally speaking we’re no different today than we were then.

We like to think that agriculture drove civilization, but it seems more and more likely that agriculture didn’t change us, but rather just let us feed more people. Humans 40kya are more similar to modern humans than human like ancestors from 200kya. People are people. See, for example, chariot drivers from 8kya yelling at someone making them mad that they’re going to break off the tip of the sacred horn and shove it up their rear end.

Given the diseases and hunger and poo poo that the Neolithic brought on, we’d all (well those few of us) be better off still hunting and gathering. Iirc, Paleolithic folks only spent 4 something like hours a day hunting and gathering.

The worst insult one can make against homo sapiens is to insist that aliens were needed to make all this stuff. Like really, do you think we have always been that loving stupid?

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 6, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Otteration posted:

Given the diseases and hunger and poo poo that the Neolithic brought on, we’d all (well those few of us) be better off still hunting and gathering. Iirc, Paleolithic folks only spent 4 something like hours a day hunting and gathering.

The worst insult one can make against homo sapiens is to insist that aliens were needed to make all this stuff. Like really, are we that loving stupid?

Go out and chase deer for four hours everyday in all weather and then come back with your newfound appreciation for civilization

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Go out and chase deer for four hours everyday in all weather and then come back with your newfound appreciation for civilization

While your women gather up enough calories in roots and berries for you to get up and try it again tomorrow.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Otteration posted:

The worst insult one can make against homo sapiens is to insist that aliens were needed to make all this stuff. Like really, do you think we have always been that loving stupid?

I rather like having modern medicine and technology available to me, even that means I need to work more than 4 hours a day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it took twelve thousand years, but agriculture was finally worth it when we invented video games

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Doesn’t evidence point out that hunting was spurt effort that provided for a lot of downtime?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Otteration posted:

Paleolithic folks only spent 4 something like hours a day hunting and gathering.

What did they do the rest of the time? Other than sleep and gently caress obviously

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CrypticFox posted:

I rather like having modern medicine and technology available to me, even that means I need to work more than 4 hours a day.

Yeah, they’re are alternatives everywhere. For example, would we actually need so many medicines if we still lived in small, isolated groups?

Don’t get too worried. It’s not a principle I hold, it’s just a thought experiment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wafflecopper posted:

What did they do the rest of the time? Other than sleep and gently caress obviously
Process raw materials into more useful forms (animal skins into something nearer to leather). Repair equipment. Fabricate new equipment. Repair or improve the dwelling. Care for other members of the group, temporarily or permanently inconvenienced. Engage in religious behavior exactly suiting the anthropologists' hopes and dreams. Create the ideal form of Leftism. Paint a cave wall. Teach children.

Things were probably pretty pleasant when there was enough food.

Of course, well,

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Otteration posted:

Yeah, they’re are alternatives everywhere. For example, would we actually need so many medicines if we still lived in small, isolated groups?

Don’t get too worried. It’s not a principle I hold, it’s just a thought experiment.

Yes, we would still need most of them. If you live in an isolated hunter-gatherer band without access to antibiotics, any cut has the potential to become infected and kill you. An ingrown toenail could easily become deadly. A tooth abscess can kill you. If your appendix bursts, no surgeon can go in and stop that from killing you. You are in a sense right that a lot of medications would be less relevant, because a lot of them are primarily used by older people, and people living to be 70+ years old was quite rare in the ancient world. However that is because of a lack of ability to treat things like infections and other health hazards that would kill you before you got to the point in life where a lot of modern medications are most frequently used.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_art

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion-man

This last one is perhaps the most beautiful thing ever crested by humans, to me.

And told exaggerated fish stories over the fire about their mammoth or horse hunts too. People have always been people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know we still have plenty of hunter-gatherers around today that are widely studied. They aren't identical to humans thousands of years ago but I don't see why they'd be drastically different in this area.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CrypticFox posted:

Yes, we would still need most of them. If you live in an isolated hunter-gatherer band without access to antibiotics, any cut has the potential to become infected and kill you. An ingrown toenail could easily become deadly. A tooth abscess can kill you. If your appendix bursts, no surgeon can go in and stop that from killing you. You are in a sense right that a lot of medications would be less relevant, because a lot of them are primarily used by older people, and people living to be 70+ years old was quite rare in the ancient world. However that is because of a lack of ability to treat things like infections and other health hazards that would kill you before you got to the point in life where a lot of modern medications are most frequently used.

Yeah, it all depends on what has “value”.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6113-elderly-crucial-to-evolutionary-success-of-humans/

Edit: Goodness! Sudden active thread!

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

You know we still have plenty of hunter-gatherers around today that are widely studied. They aren't identical to humans thousands of years ago but I don't see why they'd be drastically different in this area.

Unfortunately almost all of them have baseball hats and t shirts and other stuff due to trade. Universal trade has always happened, so it’s hard to tell, but we’re not gonna figure out the complete Paleolithic from them. It’s a start, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

the dataset is a bit iffy because by the time people were writing down how they lived, there were almost no hunter-gatherers left on anything but marginal land

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

it took twelve thousand years, but agriculture was finally worth it when we invented video games

I stuck a vibrating dildo far up my rear end on that day, thank you very much.

(Well, the same as every other day, but anyway….)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eh nvm.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Live on the coast friend, and go out and bop a seal on the head and then come back

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

the dataset is a bit iffy because by the time people were writing down how they lived, there were almost nohunter-gatherers left on anything but marginal land

There must have been and gobs and gobs and gobs of sub-Saharan hunter-gatherers living below Egypt before and during Narmer. Same in meso and South America before and after the Inca/Maya/Aztec poop.Some folks just don’t want to put up with that poo poo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Otteration posted:

This is pretty outdated. Not that stone age economics is wrong, but that it was a simple thing where farming -> more labor. We have present day farming societies where the average work week for prosperous amounts of calories is <15 hours, and to the best of our knowledge several thousand years of the neolithic was much like that. It's political and cultural changes that lead to increasingly poor ratios of hours per calorie.

cheetah7071 posted:

the dataset is a bit iffy because by the time people were writing down how they lived, there were almost no hunter-gatherers left on anything but marginal land

Yeah this is important. While its the best data we've got its corrupted by 1) all modern studied foraging societies are living on marginal land, which makes them quite unlike e.g. fertile crescent foragers and 2) they're all in contact with non-foraging societies and have been for a very long time, which is a very different situation from living on a planet where non-foraging societies have literally never existed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What about the Sentinelese? As far as I know, their only contact with us is them killing us. In an age of drones, it would be weird if no-one is studying them.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

This is pretty outdated. Not that stone age economics is wrong, but that it was a simple thing where farming -> more labor. We have present day farming societies where the average work week for prosperous amounts of calories is <15 hours, and to the best of our knowledge several thousand years of the neolithic was much like that. It's political and cultural changes that lead to increasingly poor ratios of hours per calorie.

Yeah this is important. While its the best data we've got its corrupted by 1) all modern studied foraging societies are living on marginal land, which makes them quite unlike e.g. fertile crescent foragers and 2) they're all in contact with non-foraging societies and have been for a very long time, which is a very different situation from living on a planet where non-foraging societies have literally never existed.

Cool, throw us some links.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Libluini posted:

What about the Sentinelese? As far as I know, their only contact with us is them killing us. In an age of drones, it would be weird if no-one is studying them.

they had contact earlier, with the British, who left such a bad impression their loathing of outsiders is understandable

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Otteration posted:

Cool, throw us some links.

Holdaway, Simon J. and Willeke Wendrich (eds). 2017. The Desert Fayum Reinvestigated: The Early to Mid-Holocene Landscape Archaeology of the Fayum North Shore, Egypt. Los Angeles: UCLA Cotsen Institute of Archaeology.

Roosevelt, Anna. 2013. ‘The Amazon and the Anthropocene: 13,000 years of human influence in a tropical rainforest.’ Anthropocene 4: 69–87.

Shennan, Steven. 2018. The First Farmers of Europe: An Evolutionary Perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Sherrat, Andre. 2007. ‘Diverse origins: regional contributions to the genesis of farming.’ In Colledge and Conolly (eds), pp. 1–20.

Or you could just read Dawn of Everything by Wengrow & Graeber.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Sentinelese have had some non-violent contact. It's a bit of a complicated history but at various points they would allow parties to bring gifts and leave un-attacked.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Outside contact caused the sentinel people to lose fire. Western assholes took a family from there, got them sick with something that killed the parents but not the kids, and then dropped the kids off. Writings about the islands before this describe a lot of people and recognizable torches and well lit setups. Afterwards, the parents all died and no one left knew how to make fire. To this day they have to maintain lightning started fires in big communal pits because they do not have the knowledge to create fire independently anymore.

There’s a good reason they kill any outsiders that show up. The last ones they allowed around caused all the parents to die and they lost fire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Besides the Sentinelese, there are other primarily hunter gatherer people out there, and a good chunk of their time daily is spent doing nothing at all.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we say nothing at all, social stuff, training, improving the group dynamic. maintaining any animals you might use, like sled dogs for example. processing things you've gathered, treating food so you can store it. travel. childcare, teaching apprentices, stuff like that. often several things at once, the Inuit people for example really really liked making simple little games of dexterity skill of the hoop and ball on a string variety and still are uncannily good at it from my observation. that's play that's practice that's childcare that's training etc etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When I've got free time I like to arrange rocks into interesting forms.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CoolCab posted:

we say nothing at all, social stuff, training, improving the group dynamic. maintaining any animals you might use, like sled dogs for example. processing things you've gathered, treating food so you can store it. travel. childcare, teaching apprentices, stuff like that. often several things at once, the Inuit people for example really really liked making simple little games of dexterity skill of the hoop and ball on a string variety and still are uncannily good at it from my observation. that's play that's practice that's childcare that's training etc etc.

what did inuit use to get hosed up?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Brawnfire posted:

When I've got free time I like to arrange rocks into interesting forms.

funny enough you can even develop a fairly complex system of signage before inventing any kind of written language given enough time and an appreciation for exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ChubbyChecker posted:

what did inuit use to get hosed up?

i am not aware of any historical intoxicants, actually. hypothermia.