Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bobjr posted:

Deku beats All for One, but All for Two shows up.

Two for One: "All for One was just the appetizer, now meet the second appetizer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Considering Shigaraki's present mental state, I think we've skipped straight to All for Three.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

At this point, it's All for Naught.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephthys posted:

This was Deku's main fighting style for a significant portion of the series and it ruled.
yes, but the difference was deku was actually winning fights with it. mirko is not going to actually do anything here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Miriko's winning the fight for my heart.

(I have not actually read this chapter or the 30+ before it.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mymla posted:

If it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs, y'all would've been going on about how badass it was.

people did think it was cool the first time

but this isn't the first time

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mymla posted:

If it was a buff dude still fighting after losing 3 limbs, y'all would've been going on about how badass it was.

No, I got pretty mad when it happened to Endeavor. Just let the guy die, stop keeping him around when Dabi is supposed to be Shoto's villain.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

oh jay posted:

Horikoshi tore off one of Nighteye's arms and no one cared, so he had to triple down on that strategy .

You know, it's a shame Nighteye went to a hospital with "doctors" and "medical professionals" and died of his gut wound. Should have had Jeanist and Edgeshot infiltrate his innards!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Staltran posted:

You know, it's a shame Nighteye went to a hospital with "doctors" and "medical professionals" and died of his gut wound. Should have had Jeanist and Edgeshot infiltrate his innards!

After the age of, say 19, you just aren't worth it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Staltran posted:

Nighteye got impaled through the back. His spin and most of his guts were just gone,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just have jeanist fix it. his jine, his juts.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Remember when this manga gave us Mina wearing shades telling Deku he was out of the band for having no rhythm? Good times.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It looked like Nighteye was more tubes than man at the end.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Best Jeanist infamously opined to Hawks that you can live without most of your guts.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

oh jay posted:

Best Jeanist infamously opined to Hawks that you can live without most of your guts.

I mean, just look at All Might.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't think this series is remotely as bad as the thread makes it sound tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people definitely overplay it for whatever reason but the series has basically already reached its narrative conclusion and is just kinda dragging it out. its like a rollercoaster where youre just sitting at the top waiting for it to start going down. every week this drags on is just testing peoples patience more.

it will probably read better when its fully over and people can just blitz through these chapters, but i still dont understand the point of a lot of the decisions being made in this final battle, unless its just someone telling horikoshi to keep this going as long as possible.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Goon appraisal of things has always been to accentuate the negative.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

christmas boots posted:

I've mostly checked out after the traitor reveal and how it was handled, I'm curious to see where it goes but it'd take a lot for me to say it ended on a good note at this point. I enjoy the series as a whole (Hell, I play one's justice 2 from time to time), but it's just a shame that it's been so rushed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The series is spinning its wheels for some sort of climax that is starting to seem like the author is not entirely sure how it will land so is padding to delay. It's not the worst thing ever but the series had some seriously good stuff before and the drop off is noticable. It's kind of a bummer so it's going to garner more grousing than if it had always been around this level.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 6, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eggplant Squire posted:

The series is spinning its wheels for some sort of climax that is starting to seem like the author is not entirely sure how it will land so is padding to delay. It's not the worst thing ever but the series had some seriously good stuff before and the drop off is noticable. It's kind of a bummer so it's going to garner more grousing than if it had always been around this level.

Yeah, this is always the case with this kind of thing. A lot of posters in this thread used to consider MHA to be extremely good, so it going downhill and kind of sputtering out pisses people off a lot more than if it had always been mediocre to bad, so they tend to exaggerate when talking about it being the worst thing ever.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also MHA being pretty good (and, just as importantly, heavily hyped) early on means it probably has a decent number of readers who don't otherwise read much shonen (esp. contemporary shonen) and in turn have a different yardstick for what they consider "bad shonen" (it's interesting that this thread often turns to comparisons to dbz/bleach/naruto instead of comparing to e.g. JJK or black clover or demon slayer)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 6, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I find a lot of these developments to be pretty lame and this series still gets more rope with me just because I know it's not going to take 1/4th of the manga to wrap it up.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

christmas boots posted:

No but the fatigue of yet another series falling into the same Naruto shaped hole is infuriating.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Disappointment and disillusionment cut deeper than if it just sucked from the beginning.
(See: Bleach, Nart)

For a more recent example: The same thing happened in late demon slayer to an extent, where the obviously rushed final arc blunted most everything good about the series.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 6, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think i may have said this before but MHA's protracted downfall has made me appreciate and be thankful for the rushed but still relatively graceful way Demon Slayer handled its final arc. Sure, it was probably too much being shoved in at the end, but at least those individual elements felt like they were the logical endpoint for those characters and story beats, and everything important got its due.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the current problem with MHA is that it feels like nothing's actually happening; issues pop up and then are resolved without any significant characterization or plot development, rendering the chapter or three in which the issue matters irrelevant

Bakugo's dead! Except he's getting a jeart. Star and Stripe is here to save the day! Except she's dead. Stain's got important info! Except the info is outdated an arc later. The Todorokis are fighting! Except Dabi just shrugs it all off for the REAL final fight. All for One is wounded! Except he's rewinding himself so the damage doesn't matter. Shigaraki's getting blasted by the big three! Except he's going full Akira and regenerating from whatever's done to him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Edgeshot will live on

as a quirk ghost inside Bakugo's head.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I just wanna see cool poo poo at this point and it's not delivering. I don't even hate it, I just want it to stop stalling.

What even is The Plan with regard to Lord Exploded Heart right now? Are they expecting him to just pop right back up and do something the three of them couldn't manage?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

This is how I see it. When kimetsu finished it felt like the author wanted to get it over with and hit the points that they needed as quickly as possible. MHA feels like the author has some key points he wants to do, but on some of them doesn't know how to do them. So some feel like footnotes on how quickly they happen and get forgotten and other feel like they drag out. It does not make for good weekly reading.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I will be interested in re-reading all this when it's all done. The pacing isn't helped by literal real world waiting for fictional world waiting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think the manga is just bad and wringing your hands about to what degree is as dumb and pointless as half the plot beats we've hit since the initial war arc.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think the manga is just bad and wringing your hands about to what degree is as dumb and pointless as half the plot beats we've hit since the initial war arc.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Endorph posted:

just have jeanist fix it. his jine, his juts.

He should have made mirko some jean legs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: eh whatever

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 7, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Valentin posted:

also MHA being pretty good (and, just as importantly, heavily hyped) early on means it probably has a decent number of readers who don't otherwise read much shonen (esp. contemporary shonen) and in turn have a different yardstick for what they consider "bad shonen" (it's interesting that this thread often turns to comparisons to dbz/bleach/naruto instead of comparing to e.g. JJK or black clover or demon slayer)

I mean if you want a comparison to JJK, Maki is basically doing whatever the gently caress Hori is trying to do with Mirko (WRT strong female character who gets her rear end kicked but still is a huge badass,) but like significantly better executed and just flatly more entertaining, mainly because after years of getting abused by her shithead family she got to brutally murder all of them, and is currently undergoing self-actualization by doing wrestle therapy with a vagrant sumo wizard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean if you want a comparison to JJK, Maki is basically doing whatever the gently caress Hori is trying to do with Mirko (WRT strong female character who gets her rear end kicked but still is a huge badass,) but like significantly better executed and just flatly more entertaining, mainly because after years of getting abused by her shithead family she got to brutally murder all of them, and is currently undergoing self-actualization by doing wrestle therapy with a vagrant sumo wizard

I have honestly had a hard time enjoying JJK lately largely because it has been a bunch of characters I barely know having fights that revolve entirely around a specific gimmick that goes on too long. The recent chapter was fun but it took an intolerably long amount of "lol isn't it funny someone is playing panchinko and people keep talking about how amazing their luck is" to get there.

Also it took the coolest female character besides Maki and had her die a stupid 'death' which is either infinitely lamer than anything that has happened to a MHA character or has shelved her for literally years for no reason.

Edit: It's better than MHA right now but still losing me

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 7, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

wrestle therapy with a vagrant sumo wizard

This is the combination of words that had made me finally wanting to check out JJK.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Valentin posted:

It's a lot easier to reference how shows that ended 10+ years ago compared to ones that're either still ongoing or only ended 2 years ago is I think all the difference here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I have honestly had a hard time enjoying JJK lately largely because it has been a bunch of characters I barely know having fights that revolve entirely around a specific gimmick that goes on too long. The recent chapter was fun but it took an intolerably long amount of "lol isn't it funny someone is playing panchinko and people keep talking about how amazing their luck is" to get there.

The fights don't feel like they're moving things forward much, either. It's just fight scene after fight scene, rather than fight scenes building to larger plot progression.

Which is kind of a problem with the Shigaraki fights here. Endeavor versus All for One and Shoto versus Dabi don't feel as bad because there's at least a chance they'll win, and that the fights we see have a point. But we know that Deku and Shigaraki are going to have a showdown, so it's hard to care what's happening while everyone else stalls for Deku, especially because they're not fighting to stall with Deku a known distance away, but fighting to win... when we know they won't win, due to the nature of the story.