Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If you're going to cheat, doing it with the black pieces against the best/most famous chess player in the world seems like a really bad way to go about it unless you're supremely confident in your methods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chromatics posted:

I don't really understand the mechanism either, is it that they are looking at an engine in their phone away from the table or something?

At that level it could be something as simple as a buzzer in your shoe that goes off if the engine eval either surpasses or drops below 0.3 (or -0.3).

What was Nakamura's reason for thinking the game was dirty?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hand Knit posted:

What was Nakamura's reason for thinking the game was dirty?

In true Hikaru fashion he says that he doesn't think Hans cheated, he just wants to review all the circumstantial evidence with chat... (yeah right lol)

But in the after game interview he claimed to have studied a key position on some very late move and when pressed he claimed that Magnus had that position before which turned out not to be true.

As well Hans was caught cheating on chess.com during money events and admitted it and was banned for a time.

Its all pretty dumb, but its true that his interview was weird and even Alejandro was very surprised at some of the answers. Hans claimed to have studied a specific position during prep and then gave an example move which was a blunder.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Chromatics posted:

I don't really understand the mechanism either, is it that they are looking at an engine in their phone away from the table or something?

The tweet mentions a 15-minute broadcast delay as an anti-cheating measure. That suggests they're worried about a confederate outside the match area. You could get a little single-board computer like a Raspberry Pi Pico, plug in a little dongle to get cell phone data, and attach one of the teeny tiny motors they use to make cell phone vibrate. Then the confederate watches the stream, plugs the position into Stockfish, and texts you "Nxe6" or whatever the best move is. Your little widget, carefully concealed in your shoe or collar or something, then vibrates that move in Morse code. The whole thing could be smaller than a pack of playing cards.

Is this a ridiculous and contrived thing to do? Sure, but people have done stupider.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Obviously the fix is Naked Chess.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I hope it doesn't, but it feels like this has a chance of blowing up in everyone's faces. There seems to be a bunch of weird things about Niemann so far (like his interviews lol) but zero hard evidence. If nothing comes up, and I doubt that anti-cheating measures are water-tight, do all the players just pretend this never happened? The guy's going to play under an aura of suspicion forever.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So Carlsen is happy to ruin this guy's chess career by insinuating he cheated, but not prepared to actually back it up. That's pretty lovely.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The tech footprint is small enough now that a lot of clever mechanisms can be put together. For example, off hacker news today:

https://incoherency.co.uk/blog/stories/sockfish.html

Even with a fairly minimal amount of training, one could simply contain a raspberry pi zero capsule in their anus and input moves through a Morse code contraction of the sphincter.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hand Knit posted:

I really hope the gossip all comes out, and is as messy as possible.

yah me too

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Redmark posted:

I hope it doesn't, but it feels like this has a chance of blowing up in everyone's faces. There seems to be a bunch of weird things about Niemann so far (like his interviews lol) but zero hard evidence. If nothing comes up, and I doubt that anti-cheating measures are water-tight, do all the players just pretend this never happened? The guy's going to play under an aura of suspicion forever.

Yeah. Magnus just ruined Hans' chess career, regardless of whether Hans cheated or not. He'll probably never get another invite to a top tournament regardless.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

same

I watched the clips and it is pretty weird that Hans couldn't give coherent analysis without a visible evaluation or even explain his own lines after beating Magnus with black. Curious to see how this unfolds.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fisting by many posted:

same

I watched the clips and it is pretty weird that Hans couldn't give coherent analysis without a visible evaluation or even explain his own lines after beating Magnus with black. Curious to see how this unfolds.

do you really think most super gms can give a basic coherent analysis of their own games without stockfish?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

do you really think most super gms can give a basic coherent analysis of their own games without stockfish?

It sounds like in the interviews he was suggesting variations that lower-rated analysts immediately identified as blunders. Isn't that odd?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah it’s odd i was just shitposting

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

today is a good day for that

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Yes, they can. You can in fact watch the interviews of the other people in this very competition and there is a marked difference.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Listening to GM post-game interviews is like "Well when he played <move>, I thought about <6-move line> but then decided that it was bad because <another 4 moves> and now <strategic analysis> so instead I decided that <10 move line> was better" and it's just mind boggling.

Their chess recollection is on a different level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1BAcOzHyY

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maybe hans is just worse at that particular skill

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
One thing that surprised me about chess, is the amount of drama queens and primadonnas at the top level. I always thought of it as a highly intellectual exercise, and assumed everyone was calm and calculating. Well lol. They're just humans after all.

pretend bad poster
Mar 13, 2019
I guess his accusers think he cheated against alireza today too? He ended up in a draw with legit chances to win. His postgame interview was even stupider.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

busalover posted:

One thing that surprised me about chess, is the amount of drama queens and primadonnas at the top level. I always thought of it as a highly intellectual exercise, and assumed everyone was calm and calculating. Well lol. They're just humans after all.

They largely stopped doing school just like regular professional athletes, except this game is much more isolating and (now) has them on the computer all the time. This is to say nothing of chess-generated pathologies.

They are all absolutely hosed in the head.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

folks that focus on one little niche thing their whole lives pretty often end up really weird and extremely dumb about anything not in their immediate wheelhouse. see: most academics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

They largely stopped doing school just like regular professional athletes, except this game is much more isolating and (now) has them on the computer all the time. This is to say nothing of chess-generated pathologies.

im on computer all the time and i turned out pretty good

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nepomniachtchi's facial expressions as he says "more than impressive."

https://twitter.com/GrandChessTour/status/1566867536809021441?s=20&t=TbiTJHWpXH5AWz6TxUgrMA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hikarus a messy drama bitch and its all here at this timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3zNrvO8b4&t=839s

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hand Knit posted:

Buy them all accounts

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

fart simpson posted:

ahahahaha Hikaru sounds like a total goon get him ITT spill the tea lets goooo

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

fart simpson posted:

:sickos:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fart simpson posted:

It's bizarre to me that they dig into each move this much as a standard format for post-game interviews. Like, imagine getting grilled about why you threw a 3-2 curveball to the second batter in the fourth inning.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Baronash posted:

It's bizarre to me that they dig into each move this much as a standard format for post-game interviews. Like, imagine getting grilled about why you threw a 3-2 curveball to the second batter in the fourth inning.

well, chess is almost entirely mental and these guys are sometimes spending 30 minutes thinking about one move. it’s interesting to find out something about what they were thinking at certain key moments

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fart simpson posted:

well, chess is almost entirely mental and these guys are sometimes spending 30 minutes thinking about one move. it’s interesting to find out something about what they were thinking at certain key moments

For sure, it's just the extent to which they're doing so for this tournament seems so weird. During the Candidates, the interviewers would ask about a few key moves and perhaps propose an alternate line based on the computer eval to get the player's thoughts. This seems waaaay more intense.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Baronash posted:

For sure, it's just the extent to which they're doing so for this tournament seems so weird. During the Candidates, the interviewers would ask about a few key moves and perhaps propose an alternate line based on the computer eval to get the player's thoughts. This seems waaaay more intense.

Oh yeah, Ramirez is absolutely digging in.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Hans is a weird guy but without any proof all these people dogpiling him for cheating with accusations and innuendo is really gross.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I think it's not so much that he's a weird guy as that this specific thing has been seen with verified cheaters in the past, and he has previously been caught cheating in an online event.

Making brilliant moves at the table and being unable to explain them after the fact or even hold your position or speak fluently about some of the lines is a red flag. It's not proof of anything but it's a specific behavior you often see out of cheaters.

So like yes it's lovely to fling accusations at this guy without anything substantial. But also it's not really at all surprising as to where the suspicion comes from.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

grah posted:

he has previously been caught cheating in an online event.

Is this actually true or is it Hikaru spreading gossip and making assumptions about the guy being off Chess.com for a while?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Is this actually true or is it Hikaru spreading gossip and making assumptions about the guy being off Chess.com for a while?

There's a video out there of him eating a ban on stream. I gather both times he's been banned are on the record, and fully known.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Just from that clip of his interview.. maybe he's just an awkward guy but I really can't imagine getting to 2600+ without being able to just rattle off a handful of moves with a board in front of you from a game you've just played.

"I don't even need to show variations" what the gently caress dude.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Zwabu posted:

Hikaru says he was not allowed to compete, not that he simply didn't, and Eric Hansen mentions removing him from 'fight nigh't tournaments over cheating suspicions. I mean again, is it possible this is all coincidence and hearsay and bad luck? Yeah, it is possible, but that doesn't seem the most likely case right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

totalnewbie posted:

Just from that clip of his interview.. maybe he's just an awkward guy but I really can't imagine getting to 2600+ without being able to just rattle off a handful of moves with a board in front of you from a game you've just played.

"I don't even need to show variations" what the gently caress dude.
I'm sorry but is your theory basically they he has just always been cheating without getting caught, including when he's played blitz at a high level? And been able to fool everyone this entire time until he slipped up? As compared to the other explanation that he gave a weird and awkward interview just like all the weird and awkward interviews he gave at crypto cup for instance?
If he did cheat online, which is very possible but I have seen no proof of yet, that's still very different then cheating in person which requires a whole different set of skills and planning and I've seen no evidence that it occurred.