Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zokie posted:

Just got an email from “client management” that they will be force uninstalling some applications shortly. Included in the lists: Notepad++, Beyond Compare, and 7-Zip

Nice…

We are moving from 7zip to nanazip since the installer loving sucks and it doesn't support modern contextual menus, on the text editor we have normalized the plethora of choices to vs code since it's easier to manage. I don't have anything to say about beyond compare so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Tbh I only use Notepad++ to do global search & replace in multiple files, because I'm too dumb to figure out sed.

It's a decent random text dump app because it auto saves everything, my dumb notes will survive reboots. You can even have it cache on a cloud drive.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SlowBloke posted:

We are moving from 7zip to nanazip since the installer loving sucks and it doesn't support modern contextual menus, on the text editor we have normalized the plethora of choices to vs code since it's easier to manage. I don't have anything to say about beyond compare so :shrug:

When they came for 7-zip I did not speak out for I was not a 7-zip user.

When they came for notepad++ I did not speak out because I was not a np++ user.

When they came for teams no one said poo poo because gently caress teams forever.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams is fine

At least I don't have to use Chime

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

What database was it? I work for a database company that can do something similar with directories (although in practice we rarely do) and I'm reasonably certain we can pretty easily return a directory with millions of subdirectories no problem. You would probably want to paginate the results, though.

Edit: 20 years of directories is only like 7,300 directories. That shouldn't be a problem for Windows, much less a database designed to operate that way.

It's Actian Nosql. I don't think the issue is the database itself. I'd be surprised if an enterprise object oriented DB had a specific trouble with an object that has 7000 classes, I think it's the way the front end software loads and follows the tree.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

It's Actian Nosql. I don't think the issue is the database itself. I'd be surprised if an enterprise object oriented DB had a specific trouble with an object that has 7000 classes, I think it's the way the front end software loads and follows the tree.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. 99% of 'performance' issues are on the client side (or users doing something stupid).

xzzy posted:

It's a decent random text dump app because it auto saves everything, my dumb notes will survive reboots. You can even have it cache on a cloud drive.

Why aren't you using VSCode in TYOOL 2022?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Love to get meeting invites for 7:15 PM because "this is the best time that works for everyone" except you didn't ask me if this time works for me mother fucker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that a hilarious joke? Why would I use an IDE to keep notes?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

Is that a hilarious joke? Why would I use an IDE to keep notes?

vscode is not an ide

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KillHour posted:

Why aren't you using VSCode Vim in TYOOL 2022?

Fixed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"this is the best time that works for everyone who matters"

FTFY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Fool posted:

vscode is not an ide

I'll be the first to admit I'm a loving idiot, but it sure looks like an IDE to me. What is it actually?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm a loving idiot, but it sure looks like an IDE to me. What is it actually?

It's a text editor like NP++. A really good one that doesn't look like it's 20 years old.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

It's an electron text editor with plugins to extend functionality. It does not include compiling features.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been using Atom for a while mostly because it has a handy edit-CSV-as-plaintext-but-in-a-grid plugin.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I've been using Atom for a while mostly because it has a handy edit-CSV-as-plaintext-but-in-a-grid plugin.

I thought Atom was discontinued

Even if it wasnt, vscode does everything atom does and more and better

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Like this?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah yeah, just found that on my own. Welp I'm happy. Just never really had a need to switch. Had no idea Atom was discontinued and scheduled to be archived in December.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hughmoris posted:

KillHour posted:

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. 99% of 'performance' issues are on the client side (or users doing something stupid).

Why aren't you using VSCode Vim in TYOOL 2022?

Fixed.

Because I learned how to exit it in 2002 so I've been able to upgrade my editor over the years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

Because I learned how to exit it in 2002 so I've been able to upgrade my editor over the years.

You can exit vim? I'm posting this from inside send help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Did you try turning it off and then on again?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

code:
:!  sudo halt -p

do not do this

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Since I've been forced to learn Vim at a job in 2009, I've technically never used anything else. I just add a plug-in "vim keybindings" to every IDE that I've used after that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

It's a text editor like NP++. A really good one that doesn't look like it's 20 years old.

I've setup a folder as a git repo, and use it for text files that I commit/push. It's sort of nice to have versioning and flexible notes you can reach anywhere.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Did you try turning it off and then on again?

I can't find the power button :saddowns:

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I've setup a folder as a git repo, and use it for text files that I commit/push. It's sort of nice to have versioning and flexible notes you can reach anywhere.

Congrats on reinventing OneNote but worse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

I can't find the power button :saddowns:

it's the 14-30 on the wall

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

it's the 14-30 on the wall

Nah, those use these fuckers

60A/250V 3 phase

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pour one out for my customer's infra team.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

Okay but Notepad++ looking 20 years old is the reason to use it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

This, tbh :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

It also uses 20 years old executable validation methods as, much like 7zip, it doesn't sign the executables or the installer, which is a good reason to jettison.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

iirc, the np++ dev is kind of a nutter and refuses to do app signing

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

iirc, the np++ dev is kind of a nutter and refuses to do app signing

It used to be signed, the dev stopped once the donated cert expired. He then started a giant hissy fit and cursed the whole certification authority market as they didn't provide him with another free one or let him purchase one without a real business.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 6, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just want everyone to know that if you share your screen on a call and you have NP++ open, I'm going to assume you don't know what you're doing and you are probably in fact a lowest-bid contractor. This rule has never once failed me.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

what is a text editor that can do comparisons (so not notepad.exe) that isn't 300+ MB (so not vscode) that I can put on our VMs that a computer idiot could figure out how to use

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread is spicy today!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Polio Vax Scene posted:

what is a text editor that can do comparisons (so not notepad.exe) that isn't 300+ MB (so not vscode) that I can put on our VMs that a computer idiot could figure out how to use

Use powershell to compare https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/compare-object?view=powershell-7.2 then use notepad.exe to do whatever you need. Or just buy more ram.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I'm not a professional coder, but I do a lot of game modding for entertainment. My go-to text editor for years was TextPad, but one of the games I've been playing with lately has some insanely large html files that make TextPad lock up when you try to navigate them. I switched to Notepad++ because it can handle the larger files.

If anyone has any recommendations for decent text editors that can do comparisons and don't require you to memorize a bunch of keyboard commands to use, I'm all ears.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lots of people trying to come up with arbitrary reasons why VSCode isn't always the answer. those people are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Use powershell to compare https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/compare-object?view=powershell-7.2 then use notepad.exe to do whatever you need. Or just buy more ram.

This looks like a whole fuckin lot of typing and extra work for something I can do in Notepad++ with 4 clicks