Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Yeah but that book sucks ? Verhoeven can do no wrong and I'm including showgirls in that

you'd have to include it, it's his best movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

npr ran an article today on fatphobia and The Whale lol

our national media is such a shameless, incestuous cluster

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I noticed like three solid unionbusting stories on npr last week. they may as well be a woke libertarian network

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wasn't familiar with The Whale and it is apparently a movie where Brendan Fraser wears a 700 pound fat suit, eats an entire pizza, then teaches a Zoom class during the 2016 primaries (?)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

I wasn't familiar with The Whale and it is apparently a movie where Brendan Fraser wears a 700 pound fat suit, eats an entire pizza, then teaches a Zoom class during the 2016 primaries (?)

sounds like poo poo but glad my boy Brendan's getting work and doing oscar bait, give the man a little fruity statue and a lot of money

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

and directed by darren aronofsky!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

I looked up the Wikipedia article on it and it seems like his character became morbidly obese as a symptom of depression, which is a real thing that happens but I can see why acknowledging this in a movie would piss off people who use the term "fatphobia" all the time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

a new study bible! posted:

we need to become more fatphobic

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

look at this fat piece of poo poo comedian bombing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

loquacius posted:

I looked up the Wikipedia article on it and it seems like his character became morbidly obese as a symptom of depression, which is a real thing that happens but I can see why acknowledging this in a movie would piss off people who use the term "fatphobia" all the time

Yeah per the variety article i read it appears (the whale spoilers maybe) he was divorced and lost any visitation of his kids 10 years prior and as a result gained 400 pounds and is planning to essentially commit medical suicide (not getting his heart failure fixed) because he has no more ability or will to deal with things. the classic aranofsky sunshine and rainbows

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

I noticed like three solid unionbusting stories on npr last week. they may as well be a woke libertarian network

This is what they always have been.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the whale:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

This is what they always have been.

that's possible but imo it really ramped up since 2010 with the addition of Koch money. marketplace and planet money have always been bad but it's clearly worse now that funding is compromised

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I got me Brendan Fraser, he's as big as a whale.
And we're headin' on down to the love shack

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

the whale:

lmfao

shallow hal is such a time capsule

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

that's possible but imo it really ramped up since 2010 with the addition of Koch money. marketplace and planet money have always been bad but it's clearly worse now that funding is compromised

yeah, true.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Using "phobia" as a standin for "bias against" makes a lot of sense for homophobia and transphobia because those really are 100% rooted in fear, but I don't think anyone seriously believes people who think you will get fat if you eat too much and will get skinny if you eat less and exercise are afraid of fat people. The body-acceptance stuff just took off around the same time that gay marriage was the country's hot-button issue so that's what they copied

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah per the variety article i read it appears (the whale spoilers maybe) he was divorced and lost any visitation of his kids 10 years prior and as a result gained 400 pounds and is planning to essentially commit medical suicide (not getting his heart failure fixed) because he has no more ability or will to deal with things. the classic aranofsky sunshine and rainbows

Excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYfVh8pcal8&t=223s

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

Using "phobia" as a standin for "bias against" makes a lot of sense for homophobia and transphobia because those really are 100% rooted in fear, but I don't think anyone seriously believes people who think you will get fat if you eat too much and will get skinny if you eat less and exercise are afraid of fat people. The body-acceptance stuff just took off around the same time that gay marriage was the country's hot-button issue so that's what they copied

the idea is theyre afraid of being fat and the mistake is thinking thats an unjustified fear

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

the idea is theyre afraid of being fat and the mistake is thinking thats an unjustified fear

If that's the case their stance doesn't have any internal consistency, though, because they're always talking about how weight loss is actually impossible and body shape is an unchangeable genetic phenotype akin to race, which would make it impossible to get fat if you're not fat already

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

If that's the case their stance doesn't have any internal consistency, though, because they're always talking about how weight loss is actually impossible and body shape is an unchangeable genetic phenotype akin to race, which would make it impossible to get fat if you're not fat already

i dont think most fat activists actually believe that

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

there sure are a lot of identities

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

what

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This came up a lot in the old Tumblr threads which apparently aren't searchable anymore :shrug:

Basically it's the logical endpoint of a lot of their grievances, because if it's avoidable then it's a choice etc etc etc. It's possible the mask has unslipped a bit since those days though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
this is the thing of taking a tumblr screenshot and pretending that all feminists believe what this wacky 14 yr old believes.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdBFeaNFSA

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What if we imposed standards of fitness, drive, discipline, dress and deportment as a culture? Would it be so bad to have everyone squared away and hard charging?

I understand there have always been misfits and oddballs but jfc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

This came up a lot in the old Tumblr threads which apparently aren't searchable anymore :shrug:

Basically it's the logical endpoint of a lot of their grievances, because if it's avoidable then it's a choice etc etc etc. It's possible the mask has unslipped a bit since those days though

youre dumb

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

fwiw there absolutely is truth to the idea that genetics determine your tendency for fat retention and natural “resting weight” but like, it’s nothing that can’t be overcome with mild diet control and absolutely nobody has a genetic predisposition to being 400lbs and unable to climb stairs

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

American Dad is on its 18th season i thought that show got canceled a decade ago

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

fwiw there absolutely is truth to the idea that genetics determine your tendency for fat retention and natural “resting weight” but like, it’s nothing that can’t be overcome with mild diet control and absolutely nobody has a genetic predisposition to being 400lbs and unable to climb stairs

The food available to Americans isn't great in general either

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

What if we imposed standards of fitness, drive, discipline, dress and deportment as a culture? Would it be so bad to have everyone squared away and hard charging?

I understand there have always been misfits and oddballs but jfc

Who is deciding these standards, and Dealing With those who don't meet them? You? Are you the Arbiter

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we need to become more fatphobic

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

American Dad is on its 18th season i thought that show got canceled a decade ago

it's one of the most consistently funny of the super-long sitcoms, except maybe It's Always Sunny, and even that I think has a worse ratio of duds to funny in the latter years.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

reading some of these articles about the movie and i think they just don't want morbidly obese people stories at all. hiring actual super fat actors like the mom in gilbert grape is problematic too apparently since skinny people will just gawk at the spectacle.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

they just don't want . . . people stories at all.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

lmfao

shallow hal is such a time capsule

fun to think about : this is during Jack Black's rise from obscure nerd comedy to pop culture, and before this he hadn't been the lead in a mainstream movie yet. when he was offered the job, he was told he'd have to lose a bunch of weight for the part. so Jack Black, noted chubby dude, was shamed into losing weight so he could get his first real starring role in a movie where every joke is a fat joke. none of that could have felt good for ol Jack :smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

better than getting ur drat arm shot off by bruce willis

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The jack black era already had its funny Fatman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

fun to think about : this is during Jack Black's rise from obscure nerd comedy to pop culture, and before this he hadn't been the lead in a mainstream movie yet. when he was offered the job, he was told he'd have to lose a bunch of weight for the part. so Jack Black, noted chubby dude, was shamed into losing weight so he could get his first real starring role in a movie where every joke is a fat joke. none of that could have felt good for ol Jack :smith:

Two years later the climax of a Jack Black film would include him pointing out his own chubbiness as something he's comfortable with as part of a pep talk to a girl afraid to go on stage due to her weight.