Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Personally I was mildly disappointed in the show because I felt like it was a cheap joke that was made by the effects team being horny and wanting to show how nice they can make a Hulk rear end rather than writing an actual good joke.

That said, I am surprised it spawned so much vitriol. Like I rolled my eyes and moved on, I'm not gonna throw a fit and try and use it as my moment the MCU jumped the shark or anything.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of thought the Wrecking Crew were always kind of chumps in the comics.

They're not top tier villains by any stretch, just expected them to be stronger because they are Thor bad guys. She-Hulk was no-selling hits right to the face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really just thought the post credits scene was the characters enjoying themselves and doing something fun and not done with the idea of anyone else's boners in mind.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

TwoPair posted:

Personally I was mildly disappointed in the show because I felt like it was a cheap joke that was made by the effects team being horny and wanting to show how nice they can make a Hulk rear end rather than writing an actual good joke.

That said, I am surprised it spawned so much vitriol. Like I rolled my eyes and moved on, I'm not gonna throw a fit and try and use it as my moment the MCU jumped the shark or anything.

The effects team writes the scripts and tells the showrunner/director what scenes to include?

I think everyone is overthinking this.

The funny thing is, as a lawyer, that scene resonated a ton with me. Because there is nothing more on brand than a nerdy lawyer with a famous client getting very excited about it. I literally saw an example of this type of thing recently. Obviously we aren't twerking in our clear glass office in our major white shoe law firm but it's in the right ballpark.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 5, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It is both weird and unsurprising how this show that is in large parts about a woman being frustrated that her life is being framed by the experiences and views of men is being judged so much by how it makes men feel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

tbh knowing megan i wouldn't be surprised if she said she would cameo on the show but only if she got a scene where she twerked with she hulk

https://twitter.com/theblerdgurl/status/1566421060756684803?t=B1I5ao23tMRnqozh8OhM2g&s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

tbh knowing megan i wouldn't be surprised if she said she would cameo on the show but only if she got a scene where she twerked with she hulk

lol very fair

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

site posted:

https://twitter.com/theblerdgurl/status/1566421060756684803?t=B1I5ao23tMRnqozh8OhM2g&s=19

Megan as Dazzler, hell yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

I mean Dazzler was apparently supposed to be modelled on Grace Jones when she was created, but then they modelled her on Bo Derek on account of the movie. So there's a perfectly good precedent to draw upon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

Yes thank you, that was exactly my reaction too and I’ve been unable to properly put it into words since the show aired.

Then I found out that’s not what happened and it was mo-capped Tatiana Maslany and I was fine with it. But my first reaction was “gross, Marvel”.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it seems real weird to me that you would see a woman twerking and assume that the female director, producer, writers, and actress would get Megan thee stallion to cameo, but would balk at the idea she hulk would twerk if not for the cg effects team who would be pushing for it to happen so they could model cg rear end

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s a fundamentally sexist idea I think. The idea that women dress or dance or whatever for men. There’s degrees of cloudiness here because “Marvel” or “Disney” or “CGI people” but like… why didn’t we just assume they were doing something fun?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Like Cindi Lauper said back in the 80s, Girls just wanna have fun.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

A lot of men seem subconsciously incapable of ascribing female characters (and women at large sometimes) to have full internality and self guided motivations where they do something because it's fun or silly rather than as a craven bid for power via sexual attention. My guess is it's because female bodies are inherently sexualized as a consumer product under capitalism so a lot of people are trained to see one and think "this is explicitly about making me horny isn't it" followed by "hell yeah/how dare you"

Granted I'm not giving any new information to women here, you all figure this poo poo out by high school.

Also, Megan Thee Stallion is a big ol' nerd in case anyone was unaware

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1561327082772127746?t=cNB65mP79mTLipsyIfp3lg&s=19

https://twitter.com/IW4ZUMlS/status/1371288689192677383?t=MSFQcI-sIRTlJDOFDoHXvA&s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The fact that it's a twerk has also set certain people off. It wasn't just dancing in general, "fans" were incensed that it was twerking.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Oh dang I wonder what it is about that dance move in particular that has them so pressed, hmm, hmm, let me see if I have any ideas about that 🤔

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I loved seeing The Wrecking Crew but I'm just kinda bummed at how they treated Thunderball. One of my favorite villains, the dudes nickname was the Black Bruce Banner and he's insanely smart and competent generally. Sad to see him of all of the Crew get a bit of a poo poo intro.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Megan as Dazzler, hell yes.

Lizzo plz. Really cheese 'em off. Lizzler

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean Dazzler was apparently supposed to be modelled on Grace Jones when she was created, but then they modelled her on Bo Derek on account of the movie. So there's a perfectly good precedent to draw upon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TGG posted:

I loved seeing The Wrecking Crew but I'm just kinda bummed at how they treated Thunderball. One of my favorite villains, the dudes nickname was the Black Bruce Banner and he's insanely smart and competent generally. Sad to see him of all of the Crew get a bit of a poo poo intro.

If someone at Marvel wants to beef up that role, there's still time. The Prowler in the MCU is still just Don Glover with a bag of ice cream, but they can come back to him if they want.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The thing about the post credits scene is that, while the dance is inherently sexual, it's not sexualized. Like, there is a surprising lack of male gaze to the scene helped primarily by the fact that the dance is done in a realistically fitting, professional suit. The scene isn't there to entice the audience, it's there to show a fan of Megan Thee Stallion getting to have fun with Megan Thee Stallion by doing one of Megan Thee Stallion's signature dances.

Of course, nothing pisses off chuds more than nerd media not catering to them specifically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nerds are mad that She-Hulk is just better at everything than Hulk, including shaking that thang.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

glitchwraith posted:

The thing about the post credits scene is that, while the dance is inherently sexual, it's not sexualized. Like, there is a surprising lack of male gaze to the scene helped primarily by the fact that the dance is done in a realistically fitting, professional suit. The scene isn't there to entice the audience, it's there to show a fan of Megan Thee Stallion getting to have fun with Megan Thee Stallion by doing one of Megan Thee Stallion's signature dances.

Of course, nothing pisses off chuds more than nerd media not catering to them specifically.

Counterpoint - Lawyers are inherently sexy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lawyer spotted

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

Nerds are mad that She-Hulk is just better at everything than Hulk, including shaking that thang.

They're really just screaming to the loudest and get the most attention. If it was actually any sort of substantial argument they'd know that the differences are spelled in the characters own movies/TV shows.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

StumblyWumbly posted:

What firm are you at? I may need to switch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

Alex jones lawyer says otherwise

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Okay, She-Hulk was very funny this week. I am so happy for Wong

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she hulk is just really great

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

theironjef posted:

If someone at Marvel wants to beef up that role, there's still time. The Prowler in the MCU is still just Don Glover with a bag of ice cream, but they can come back to him if they want.

I'm still in the street praying for Taskmaster

cradling her wasted potential like the dad at the end of Signs, muttering "no it was just an origin story, she'll be better next time, it was just an origin story"

edit: and to a lesser degree Ghost, and uh oh should I be noticing a pattern

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm still in the street praying for Taskmaster

cradling her wasted potential like the dad at the end of Signs, muttering "no it was just an origin story, she'll be better next time, it was just an origin story"

edit: and to a lesser degree Ghost, and uh oh should I be noticing a pattern

Hopefully that pattern is the Thunderbolts movie. Although I'd also be fine with Taskie showing up in Shang-Chi 2, photographic reflexes would be great against him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah finally somewhere people are talking about She-Hulk. I should've searched the forums weeks ago.

So, can someone give me a synopsis of why people are pissed? I haven't seen any of the show myself and am not familiar enough with She-Hulk's history myself, did she start out as a domestic disaster like Bruce Banner Hulk or was she pretty much always in control of her powers from Day 1?

All I'm aware of is there's some chatter circling around about her thinking she's better than Hulk or something
And if she figured out how to use her powers immediately without needing contingency plans built to stop her then well, she has a point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's a comic book show starring a woman who shows some amount of personal agency. Take a wild guess why people are upset about it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It really does boil down to “female superhero.” People who are mad try to say it’s more but if you listen to the arguments it’s just girls are dumb and icky and why can’t a boy be on my tv.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RareAcumen posted:

Ah finally somewhere people are talking about She-Hulk. I should've searched the forums weeks ago.

So, can someone give me a synopsis of why people are pissed? I haven't seen any of the show myself and am not familiar enough with She-Hulk's history myself, did she start out as a domestic disaster like Bruce Banner Hulk or was she pretty much always in control of her powers from Day 1?

All I'm aware of is there's some chatter circling around about her thinking she's better than Hulk or something
And if she figured out how to use her powers immediately without needing contingency plans built to stop her then well, she has a point.

they're intimidated by the clap op

https://twitter.com/RealYouTubeKids/status/1565401830472957954?s=20&t=ZDmc2Gs7o0VIXWHehIKd2g

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

True the clap should have blown Megan out the window but setting that aside it's a good fun show.

I do find this most recent threat of trademark infringement sorta tv silly and spurious, you have to be using a trademark in commerce to be able to defend ownership of it. Besides, Jen was just hired by a massive law firm in a high ranking position specifically because of her name, they wouldn't risk an investment like that by letting her twist in the wind about it. They'd just bury Titania in countersuits immediately.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 8, 2022

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah but that’s not as funny

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

theironjef posted:

True the clap should have blown Megan out the window but setting that aside it's a good fun show.

I do find this most recent threat of trademark infringement sorta tv silly and spurious, you have to be using a trademark in commerce to be able to defend ownership of it. Besides, Jen was just hired by a massive law firm in a high ranking position specifically because of her name, they wouldn't risk an investment like that by letting her twist in the wind about it. They'd just bury Titania in countersuits immediately.

Titania is a lawyer's worst enemy.
A narcistic celebrity to whom the law just does not seem to apply for some unexplainable reason, because the very laws of the universe seems to bend around them.
She got off scot-free after all.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 8, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she must have a great defense attorney to get her off for plowing into a courtroom and starting a fight...maybe one who thinks justice is blind...

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I do think the idea of the villain being a patent troll is funny. Since they suck i will revel in her defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/Vinayak3000_/status/1567892783016587270

Do it Feige.