Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

put it in perspective with the other lords in the game

Sure

They have gotten stronger with every DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Karl Franz does not approve.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

im glad they nerfed festus' most fun features to bring him more in line with kugath's unfun campaign, while buffing belakor

Festus’s campaign is still thousands of miles better than kugath’s. It got even better actually now that he can vassalize the empire. It’s not like his performance in battle was in question ever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
"Festus kills everything around him slightly slower than he did, but still at the rate of a Mortis Engine, which are tier 5 units that are really good" is kind of completely outweighed in the nerf/buff scale by "Festus can now start vassalizing the entire Empire from turn two".

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Third World Reagan posted:

Sure

They have gotten stronger with every DLC

nah malekith is still probably the biggest dicked mother fucker. factions get better campaign mechanics and bonuses but idk that lords performance in combat has gotten that much better

Twigand Berries posted:

get good at Ku'Gath

my complaint wasnt that its too hard but that its unfun. im playing one atm and im never in danger of losing its just agonisingly slow at the start and income continues to be a big bottleneck for a long rear end time. kugath himself feels like poo poo in battle and you have to invest in the whole yellow line to get his mortis engine effect

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Really dumb lore question, but is it called 'Hochland' because it historically has a Nurgle problem and everyone's full of phlegm all the time?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It's nice that some campaigns are easy and some are more difficult/challenge starts? Guess that's my opinion. And lore of nurgle heals enough, like losing a little bit off a regen aura while you are just dripping with replenishment means Looks like those warriors lost ten guys instead of none. Uh oh. What we all need to worry about is the AI being nerfed and can't build poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tirranek posted:

Really dumb lore question, but is it called 'Hochland' because it historically has a Nurgle problem and everyone's full of phlegm all the time?

It's fake german for highland. Because it's near a mountain. A ton of Empire settlements are just some variation on fake German names/words.

E: Altdorf is just old village, middenheim is middle home, reikland is rich-land or empire-land if you squint, mordheim is murderhome, etc.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

It's nice that some campaigns are easy and some are more difficult/challenge starts? Guess that's my opinion. And lore of nurgle heals enough, like losing a little bit off a regen aura while you are just dripping with replenishment means Looks like those warriors lost ten guys instead of none. Uh oh. What we all need to worry about is the AI being nerfed and can't build poo poo.

im more bugged by the loss of damage bc festus doesnt have any real ability in melee

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Yeah, englished up Karl Franz is actually Carl Fancypants.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

im more bugged by the loss of damage bc festus doesnt have any real ability in melee

I'm gonna hard agree and I think Ku'Gath is waaaay better but I don't need to like all 86 lords and you can roll WoC like baskin robbins

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Stream of Corruption and Blight Boil both kill tons of dudes, at least. Festus is still a lord level Nurgle caster.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Stream of Corruption and Blight Boil both kill tons of dudes, at least. Festus is still a lord level Nurgle caster.
Losing blight boil in favor of xereus really does suck when you move your nurgle sorcerer lord to a daemon lord, but the mortis aura makes up for it.

The more I think about it the more I think Festus could get his damage aura back a bit at higher level along with his demonic ascension skill. Ascended nurgle daemons get a stronger aura at that point too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 6, 2022

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've always wanted to be better at using direct line firing units like Irondrakes, Ratling Guns, and Handgunners. My go to ranged unit is always bows because they can arc fire over your troops and walls.

Lately, I've been testing the Dwarf fllamethrower units in vs AI mode and am having a bit too much fun, but I'm hitting a lot of my front line melee guys with friendly fire. Since you can't just place these ranged units behind your melee line, I was trying to come up with the best formation before the battle, and then figure out how to get the most usage out of them once the melee line has charged.

I came up with this formation with the Dwarfs:

The Irondrakes can't be put behind the Longbeards because they'll just do too much friendly fire, and I don't like placing them in front for the initial charge because 80 range and their slow speed will not give me enough time to get my melee units in front. Instead, I can put them to the side, make the line wider, and charge the melee line in.

It's been pretty successful in vs AI mode against orcs.

During combat:

This is where the problems begin. I can still fire on the Orcs from the side, but I take some friendly fire damage and I don't think I do maximum damage. If I decide to move them into the Orc line to fire from behind, I waste way too much time, and I can be put in a bad situation if this was a real battle with cavalry and monster units.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dude, he still does loving mortis engine damage, without having to be in melee. He just doesnt do 2x to 3x as much damage as a normal one does, which has to be in melee. No. His damage is not bad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Kanos posted:

yeah but so is the generic nurgle sorc lord and they get a monster to ride. festus has great campaign mechanics but doesnt bring anything special to the table any more in battle. he doesnt even get a mount

idk why you would nerf the one special thing festus has in battle rather than any of his powerful campaign mechanics, beyond to placate multiplayer freaks

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
So I guess legendary was literally VH? Huh. The build priority thing is so crippling I haven't noticed the difference, but the player PO penalty is probably the most significant difference between VH and legendary anyway.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jack B Nimble posted:

VC if chaos (so, probably this)

It doesn’t help you right now, but we’re expecting Chaos Dwarfs soon if you want a non-green but chaos evil gunline army

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

It's fake german for highland. Because it's near a mountain. A ton of Empire settlements are just some variation on fake German names/words.

E: Altdorf is just old village, middenheim is middle home, reikland is rich-land or empire-land if you squint, mordheim is murderhome, etc.

Ohhh, thanks! Now that I think of it, Empire names are generally light on the puns, yeah.

Speaking of languages, I wonder how developed the constructed languages are in the game. Listening to to some of the speeches in Dryad, it at least seems a bit more fleshed out than Hutteese or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

yeah but so is the generic nurgle sorc lord and they get a monster to ride. festus has great campaign mechanics but doesnt bring anything special to the table any more in battle. he doesnt even get a mount

idk why you would nerf the one special thing festus has in battle rather than any of his powerful campaign mechanics, beyond to placate multiplayer freaks
Nurgle sorcerer lords don't really get a monster, they get the giant arrow-magnet warshrine of nurgle. Which does give aoe healing, but at max (which takes some killing in the area) healing it heals what Festus can do from the start post-nerf, without getting mulched by any crossbows that happen to be in the area, and without the possibility of a mortis aura if that is better.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lol ok

This is the stupidest loving narrative.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've always wanted to be better at using direct line firing units like Irondrakes, Ratling Guns, and Handgunners. My go to ranged unit is always bows because they can arc fire over your troops and walls.

Lately, I've been testing the Dwarf fllamethrower units in vs AI mode and am having a bit too much fun, but I'm hitting a lot of my front line melee guys with friendly fire. Since you can't just place these ranged units behind your melee line, I was trying to come up with the best formation before the battle, and then figure out how to get the most usage out of them once the melee line has charged.

I came up with this formation with the Dwarfs:

The Irondrakes can't be put behind the Longbeards because they'll just do too much friendly fire, and I don't like placing them in front for the initial charge because 80 range and their slow speed will not give me enough time to get my melee units in front. Instead, I can put them to the side, make the line wider, and charge the melee line in.

It's been pretty successful in vs AI mode against orcs.

During combat:

This is where the problems begin. I can still fire on the Orcs from the side, but I take some friendly fire damage and I don't think I do maximum damage. If I decide to move them into the Orc line to fire from behind, I waste way too much time, and I can be put in a bad situation if this was a real battle with cavalry and monster units.

Use lords and heroes to blob up enemy units then torch them with impunity

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

Have you tried the shot and pike formations?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cardboard Fox posted:

Lately, I've been testing the Dwarf fllamethrower units in vs AI mode and am having a bit too much fun

By Sigmar, YES!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Festus aura at 12-24 a second still sounds fantastic. I remember when the Greenskin rework hit and my Skarsnik campaign was amazed at how much work the Death Juice scrap upgrade did because 10 damage a second at all times ignoring armor meant no defenders could hold over time, particularly Dwarves. And he gets it for free at all times from level 1? Outstanding.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Lol ok

This is the stupidest loving narrative.

nah its second to the one where people stick up for balance changes nobody likes for the purpose of being contrarian

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nah its second to the one where people stick up for balance changes nobody likes for the purpose of being contrarian

... literally everyone but you seems to like this one though.

Are you just defining your opinion as the consensus so you can call literally everyone else a dumb contrarian for disagreeing with you?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
If it's been said my bad, but I like they added in two more UI colors, Sigvald Burgundy (purple) and Slaanesh Grey (grey, duh), they renamed all the other colors as well Caledor Sky, Warpstone Glow, Khorne Red.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

chaleski posted:

Use lords and heroes to blob up enemy units then torch them with impunity

Hmm, send hero units into blobs while flaming everything, keep Longbeards near the flamers in case they need protection. That sounds brilliant.

Third World Reagan posted:

Have you tried the shot and pike formations?

I have never used or looked at the formation tab at all in any Total War game. Maybe I should have a quick glance.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zore posted:

... literally everyone but you seems to like this one though.

No they are just being contrarian and not acknowledging that he and his fun are being persecuted to appease the multiplayer freaks. Festus is literally unplayable now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think you might be wrong here

This is me being contrarian, lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Nurgle sorcerer lords don't really get a monster, they get the giant arrow-magnet warshrine of nurgle. Which does give aoe healing, but at max (which takes some killing in the area) healing it heals what Festus can do from the start post-nerf, without getting mulched by any crossbows that happen to be in the area, and without the possibility of a mortis aura if that is better.

Incidentally I'm deeply disappointed by how warshrines are completely useless if you're planning to fight any faction that has any ranged weapons at all, because warshrines look cool.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

No they are just being contrarian and not acknowledging that he and his fun is being persecuted to appease the multiplayer freaks. Festus is literally unplayable now.

nah he is just gonna be less fun in battle and not any less powerful in campaign because this change makes no sense unless its CA listening to the prerelease streamers

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Give the defender more flavorful uses for supply points besides towers and barricades - I want to see Kislevites pouring hot pitch on a battering ram after buttressing the gate; Dwarfs collapsing sections of their cavern; vampires setting down corpse piles that constantly-spawn a stream of chaff zombies; etc.

I wanna have my units round a corner and get chased by a loving giant boulder the lizardmen left on a ramp

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

Hmm, send hero units into blobs while flaming everything, keep Longbeards near the flamers in case they need protection. That sounds brilliant.

I have never used or looked at the formation tab at all in any Total War game. Maybe I should have a quick glance.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

nah he is just gonna be less fun in battle and not any less powerful in campaign because this change makes no sense unless its CA listening to the prerelease streamers

It seems like a simple number pass. I get that the game has a lot of things that are obscenely effective and some campaigns/LLs are easier than others but sometimes things are a bit too brainless? And it's still a great effect and utility.

They also have to account for Festus existing in Multiplayer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also, as expected, next round of RoRs will be in 2.2, with another round planned towards the end of the year.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

ad090 posted:

If it's been said my bad, but I like they added in two more UI colors, Sigvald Burgundy (purple) and Slaanesh Grey (grey, duh), they renamed all the other colors as well Caledor Sky, Warpstone Glow, Khorne Red.

make sure you transfer them to dropper bottles

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Doomykins posted:

It seems like a simple number pass. I get that the game has a lot of things that are obscenely effective and some campaigns/LLs are easier than others but sometimes things are a bit too brainless? And it's still a great effect and utility.

They also have to account for Festus existing in Multiplayer.

they should just balance multiplayer seperately. i just dunno why they would nerf the least combat effective of the new lords while leaving raid boss belakor as-is. it doesnt make sense except as a change made in total isolation from the wider context of the games balance. yeah its better than a mortis engine, but you can have multiple mortis engines in your army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This is still one of the best and most informative guides for new players, honestly. I wish more succinct jpegs like this existed instead of having to link new players 15 minute youtube videos.