Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:eng101: that's because the Black Legion didn't exist during the Heresy. The Black Legion isn't simply The Sons Of Horus with a new paint job, it's a new force forged from all the legions by Abaddon

Sorry I mean higher numbers than the Sons of Horus did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

D-Pad posted:

This is a bad example. We are shown that the character knows it's a miniscule drop in an ocean that will make zero difference and that those men are going to their deaths to a man. The point is about Terran bureaucracy. On a world of quadrillions it took ten years to put together 500,000. Wraight is reinforcing how ridiculously byzantine Terran bureaucracy is and how hard it is to get anything done.

I will say that after reading the Vaults of Terra, Wraight seems to get the overall size of the setting down. His Terra is alienating in its sheer size and desolation (and I mean that as a complement) and the brief glimpse of Commoraugh we get indicates that it's naval facilities put the shipyards of the Solar system to shame. So he does have an understanding that the embarking of 500k after 10 years assembly is a sign of how decrepit and feeble the empire's become. I dunno how well he grasps the systems that undergird society necessary to make a world city like Terra work, though. Like, the untold billions of people living in the underhives would not be untold billions unless there's a lot of food and other resources going that way on a steady and regular basis... and it did not seem like that was happening at all.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah that leapt out at me in the third Vaults of Terra book.

Terra has been locked down, there are zero of the vast imports of resources to feed everyone as established even in the earlier books, nevermind greater continuity.

This shouldn't be an inconvenience and criminal gangs are geting out of control, cultists are causing trouble. A 100+ billion people should be starving to death.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
billions starve to death on terra every day, it's not a big deal until it starts affecting the Important People

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah that leapt out at me in the third Vaults of Terra book.

Terra has been locked down, there are zero of the vast imports of resources to feed everyone as established even in the earlier books, nevermind greater continuity.

This shouldn't be an inconvenience and criminal gangs are geting out of control, cultists are causing trouble. A 100+ billion people should be starving to death.

I think that might well have happened, based upon how the characters talk about letting the riots burn/starve themselves out. I just think that it's something that probably should have already been happening for those in the sumps.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
There's a great bit about this in Echoes of Eternity where Sarrin is thinking about how the siege has permanently killed Terra. How any chance of self sufficiency is gone and it's going to be nothing but a burden to humanity from here on out.

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 4, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Echoes in Eternity: Amazon's #1 new release in Metaphysical Science Fiction

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

I think that might well have happened, based upon how the characters talk about letting the riots burn/starve themselves out. I just think that it's something that probably should have already been happening for those in the sumps.

Yeah it happened. That book spends a lot of words and story describing just how bad things have gotten planetwide where society outside of the palace has absolutely brokendown and it's a lot more than some riots and the criminal gangs getting feisty.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

This is a bad example. We are shown that the character knows it's a miniscule drop in an ocean that will make zero difference and that those men are going to their deaths to a man. The point is about Terran bureaucracy. On a world of quadrillions it took ten years to put together 500,000. Wraight is reinforcing how ridiculously byzantine Terran bureaucracy is and how hard it is to get anything done.

I just reread this so fresh in my mind. The ships are around the same size but one comes in at an angle and hits like an airplane landing and the other one knifes straight down and does several orders of magnitude more damage.
That in and of itself is a scale problem. It's very difficult to hit a planet "straight down" just due to how fast planets move.

a lovely king posted:

The World Eater Blood Pact member who appears in short story by ADB and the Urdesh book mentions that he looked down on Gaur or something. Whatever it was its clear that the World Eater did not consider Gaur a marine.

Edit: as in literally looked down on Gaur as in the marine was bigger than him i think. Its been a while though since I read it.
I don't remember it being mentioned in the first book, but the second is my plane reading for next weekend so I'll hopefully get to it.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That in and of itself is a scale problem. It's very difficult to hit a planet "straight down" just due to how fast planets move.

I don't remember it being mentioned in the first book, but the second is my plane reading for next weekend so I'll hopefully get to it.

If I remember it right he mentions it in ADB's short story Arnogaur, not in the Urdesh novels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think I have read that so, but it was a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can dig it out.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
It was either in ADB's short story Arnogaur or in Abnett's Traitor General, which has the small squad of traitor marines hunting Ghosts at one point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Traitor General has a squad of Chaos marines getting pincushioned by the Nihtghane on Gereon.

Arnogaur was the short story about the Chaos Marine hunting blood pact troopers who broke their oath and betrayed their comrades, right?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Yup, though in fairness, only one of them got pincushioned. One got blown up by a satchel charge, one got cleaved by a power sword, and one died by taking a bolter round to the head from one of his fallen squadmates weapon. I think one got a hot-shot from a longlas fired point blank into his eye lens or something.

The Chaos Marine musing that he was physically bigger than Urlock Gaur and had literally looked down at him was either the squad leader in Traitor General or the Arnogaur in, well, Arnogaur, but damned if I can remember which.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Warden posted:

Yup, though in fairness, only one of them got pincushioned. One got blown up by a satchel charge, one got cleaved by a power sword, and one died by taking a bolter round to the head from one of his fallen squadmates weapon. I think one got a hot-shot from a longlas fired point blank into his eye lens or something.

The Chaos Marine musing that he was physically bigger than Urlock Gaur and had literally looked down at him was either the squad leader in Traitor General or the Arnogaur in, well, Arnogaur, but damned if I can remember which.

I think its Arnogaur, as Nautekh remembers joining the Blood Pact and gashing his hands on the Gaur's armour.

The squad in Traitor General is aligned to the Sons of Sek and I think are implied to be Iron Warriors (there's a mention of hazard stripes) but it's never specified.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
halfway through Echoes of Eternity

Basic Question:

I'm not quite done yet but Kargos is def different than Kharn right? Cause he picks up the Axe and I was like oh is this like showing how the narrative is unreliable because its a world eater with the axe but Kharn def got ran over by a land raider? I keep waiting for a moment of transformation or something.

Huge Spoiler Theory including Dan Abnett:

The Impossible City that the Imperials were creating, acted as a last stand for the retreat from the webway is Pandemonium from Abnett's Petinent series. They're described very similarily i think and im gunna go find the releveant passages from Vulkans wandering and Bequins brief time in there. I bet Valdor fucks off to the impossible city and starts carving out a Bastion to assist the Emperor. Fast foward 10,000 years and you get what Bequin sees.

thoughts?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 5, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Waroduce posted:

Basic Question:

I'm not quite done yet but Kargos is def different than Kharn right? Cause he picks up the Axe and I was like oh is this like showing how the narrative is unreliable because its a world eater with the axe but Kharn def got ran over by a land raider? I keep waiting for a moment of transformation or something.

The Impossible City that the Imperials were creating, acted as a last stand for the retreat from the webway is Pandemonium from Abnett's Petinent series. They're described very similarily i think and im gunna go find the releveant passages from Vulkans wandering and Bequins brief time in there. I bet Valdor fucks off to the impossible city and starts carving out a Bastion to assist the Emperor. Fast foward 10,000 years and you get what Bequin sees.

thoughts?

The first one will be addressed further in the story, and in the afterword.

The second one is about where I'm leaning.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Basic Question:

Response to question about Kargos...

Did you read the other Heresy / Siege books?

Kharn got ran over by the Land Raider on Istvaan III in Galaxy in Flames....15 years ago?

Then he had an entire arc in Betrayer and other stories. culminating in him getting merked by Sigismund in Warhawk. Kargos was a side character in Betrayer.

Kargos and Amit is meant to be an 'echo' of the Kharn / Sigismund relationship.

I think Kharn is going to 'resurrect' in the inevitable Scouring series (that may cover Skalthralax). His body was brought aboard the Conquerer.

Maybe ADB wanted to do that fight originally but it got dished out to Wraight for whatever reason. So he did his own lite retake of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_uDv17yQDM

Soooo, the Squats take their orders from Zardoz? The Gun is Good, Melee is Better, the Penis is Slaanesh

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
(No real spoilers, just characters commenting on the Kharn-Sigsmund fight that happened last book)

People were acting like it was this tragic-rear end thing that K and S had to kill each other after their Brotherhood in the Noble Fighting Pits, truly a microcosm for this Terrible Civil War.

But…

They weren’t partners in the fighting pits. Betrayer says that Kharn and Argel Tal were chain buddies, and they lost most of their matches because they were insufferable hipsters who were only doing it ironically. Sigsmund was paired with Delvarus, and they were both extreme tryhards so they won every match.

Wrap it up ADBailures, the Siege is cancelled, etc etc.

Also, is Kharn the only right-hand equerry guy who isn’t the captain of the first company? I assume he’s leader of the 8th because Khorne and stuff, right?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

von Metternich posted:

Also, is Kharn the only right-hand equerry guy who isn’t the captain of the first company? I assume he’s leader of the 8th because Khorne and stuff, right?

I just had a cursory glance at the lexicanum page for equerrys and its only Vulkan who had an equerry who was also First Captain.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

a lovely king posted:

I just had a cursory glance at the lexicanum page for equerrys and its only Vulkan who had an equerry who was also First Captain.

Maybe Equerry is the wrong word. I just meant that class of character in the books that’s kind of the legion’s mascot/window on the Primarch, like Abbadon or Sigismund. But now that I think about it, there’s a few others, like Argel tal.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Basic Question:

thoughts?

About your theory:

I don't think they are the same at all, but I do think they are related. The city Bequin goes to is not made of wraithbone and seems to be more human constructed but on a very very massive scale. It is also surrounded by what appears to be the warp itself but becalmed like a lake whereas the impossible city is encased within the webway with the warp on the outside.

That being said I do believe the Pandemonium city is a 2nd attempt at what emps was trying to do with the impossible city. I think it's likely that Valdor refuses to accept that the emperor's great work failed and that the post-siege status quo is all that is left and goes off to try again. Either that or emps gives Valdor some last instructions to do so although I think that unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bequin city is in the warp itself with some kind of Blackstone technology that allows it to exist in a calm bubble that humans can inhabit. It also wouldn't surprise me if one of the missing primarchs is involved as well.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I am also a bit confused because Kargos shows up very much alive and in a leadership position in the post-heresy World Eater books. Specifically the one about Kharn waking up and the fight over Skalathrax starting.

Granted, that book was not very good and nothing is really lost by retconning it. Or it could just be warp-fuckery, who knows.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I am also a bit confused because Kargos shows up very much alive and in a leadership position in the post-heresy World Eater books. Specifically the one about Kharn waking up and the fight over Skalathrax starting.

Granted, that book was not very good and nothing is really lost by retconning it. Or it could just be warp-fuckery, who knows.

Echoes of Eternity spoiler

We never actually confirm Kargos is dead in EoE. It reads more like a 'fade to black' situation.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Are there any notable BL authors that don't live in the UK/Commonwealth?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Rath lives in Hong Kong.
Graham McNeil lives in Los Angeles.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

The noted penmaster CS Goto also lives in California.

Robert Rath resides in Hawaii, IIRC. Seems like as good a place as any to set up as a writer.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I just decided to look up CS Goto on Wikipedia to see what he has been up to (haven't heard about any of his work since the dreadful Dawn of War novels), and, well, this greeted me at the top of the article:

Wikipedia posted:

It is proposed that this article be deleted because of the following concern:
Having written some licensed products as a contract writer for a production company without any notable success and no new material in fifteen years, this contract writer does not merit a wikipedia entry. (proposed by CyberMurph)

So which one of you is CyberMurph?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Enjoying Echoes so far, but what I’m most worried about is, where the hell is more Peter Fehervari??

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

Enjoying Echoes so far, but what I’m most worried about is, where the hell is more Peter Fehervari??

I was just thinking that last night. Now that Josh Reynolds is out of the picture, Fehervari should be their horror series go to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Badly Jester posted:

I just decided to look up CS Goto on Wikipedia to see what he has been up to (haven't heard about any of his work since the dreadful Dawn of War novels), and, well, this greeted me at the top of the article:

Does Wikipedia still do that whole "internet culture isn't real culture" thing?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Arquinsiel posted:

Does Wikipedia still do that whole "internet culture isn't real culture" thing?

My immediate interpretation was that the deletion request came from a disgruntled ham rather than a Wikipedia elitist, but I guess it's really a toss-up.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

I'm not a Wikipedia editor or anything, but surely the whole point of an online encyclopaedia is to store information? The argument that the info is too obscure to be recorded seems counter to the spirit of the whole thing. Why would you delete it?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wikipedia has deleted stuff not judged as meeting it's 'Notability' requirements since day one.

See this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm not a Wikipedia editor or anything, but surely the whole point of an online encyclopaedia is to store information? The argument that the info is too obscure to be recorded seems counter to the spirit of the whole thing. Why would you delete it?

You gotta have some rule preventing random people from flooding the site with articles about themselves, the people they know, local businesses, etc

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Finished Echoes. Dayum that was some good Ham, I did really appreciate pulling the viewpoint scale way, way back for the final defence of the Palace. Mortis especially suffered from having too many different, disparate things going on (that and not handling Titan war well. Which is a bit of an issue when that's the main thread). I think ADB did an excellent job of acknowledging the scale of the conflict, the rest of the war wasn't forgotten but just didn't matter at this point. He gave the other events just enough acknowledgement.

The Kargos/Amit thing did feel a bit too much like retreading Kharn/Sigismund - The K/S fight serves as an encapsulation of what the war has become. An Imperium that has essentially destroyed itself to exist only to serve the Emperor and a rebellion of berserking murderers that wants to see themselves as something noble and something fundamentally human. The K/A fight was seemed to be more a character study of two notable figures. I guess following Amit and Zephon gave Blood Angels fans a bit of successor chapter good stuff and it was well written but it just felt weirdly like retreading the earlier contest. Notably ADB had it happen twice and I'm just not sure what the purpose was. It didn't feel particularly like anything different was happening the second time.

I guess it served to show the development of the IX legion from a status of cannibalistic refuse to the empitome of Vampiric beauty under their Primarch versus the War Hounds going from an effective if brutal Legion to a pack of insane killers under the development of theirs. So a way of exploring the Blood Angels history? Just seemed weird how much of a retread of the Kharn/ Sigismund contest it was. I wonder if they could have had a similar thing between a Blood Angel and one of the other traitor legions that might have let it feel a bit more of its own thing.

The exploration and following of various traitors was really well done. The Warhound Princeps and Sarrin were both good and the reveal for both I thought was really well done. There was little attempt to make it a surprise in terms of them being utterly transformed but it was interesting to move from their inner awareness of the changes to the outer confirmation.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FPyat posted:

You gotta have some rule preventing random people from flooding the site with articles about themselves, the people they know, local businesses, etc

And shameless self-promotion is indeed one of the criteria for deletion in those notability requirements.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

MrNemo posted:

I guess it served to show the development of the IX legion from a status of cannibalistic refuse to the empitome of Vampiric beauty under their Primarch versus the War Hounds going from an effective if brutal Legion to a pack of insane killers under the development of theirs. So a way of exploring the Blood Angels history?
Pretty much. The only other Blood Angels-centric HH book I know of is Fear to Tread which is... patchy. Echoes is the first time they've explored the transition of the IX Legion in the way you described.

Regarding Amit/Kargos I think you're spot on with what ADB was trying to convey. I also think it's set up to make things more tragic when Sanguinius dies and all the Blood Angels go berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

MrNemo posted:

I guess it served to show the development of the IX legion from a status of cannibalistic refuse to the empitome of Vampiric beauty under their Primarch versus the War Hounds going from an effective if brutal Legion to a pack of insane killers under the development of theirs. So a way of exploring the Blood Angels history? Just seemed weird how much of a retread of the Kharn/ Sigismund contest it was. I wonder if they could have had a similar thing between a Blood Angel and one of the other traitor legions that might have let it feel a bit more of its own thing.

Conceptually, I agree, I’m just not sure which legion would serve as a better option, since the Blood Angels and World Eaters are natural foils for each other, due to the whole “raging sociopath” thing they share at their core, as well as the whole “Khorne really has a hard-on for your murder lust” thing. Might have been nice maybe see the legions shift from comparative viewpoints entirely outside of the arena perhaps? It definitely felt like an unnecessary retread of an existing plot, I’m just not sure another Legion relationship fits quite as well.