Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Giant Baba changed the finish to Misawa/Jumbo in 1990 based on Misawa's rising popularity, but I don't remember if it was midmatch or as they were making their entrances

It was before the match, based on the massive amount of merch that Misawa was selling that night

iirc Jumbo said something like 'can he just win by DQ' and Baba just said 'no'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Giant Baba changed the finish to Misawa/Jumbo in 1990 based on Misawa's rising popularity, but I don't remember if it was midmatch or as they were making their entrances

It was before the show. People were chanting Misawa’s name waiting to get in, waiting for the show to start, all while Baba was guiding things from the commentary desk as he customarily did. After enough chanting, he went and checked with the merch stand, and was informed that they were out of Misawa stuff. So Baba went back down to the desk, wrote a note, handed it to a young boy, and told him to take it to Tsuruta. A few minutes later the young boy returned with a note from Tsuruta. Baba’s note had said “Misawa goes over. Pin.” Tsuruta’s begged “DQ instead? Double count out?”

So Baba wrote another note. It said, again, “Misawa goes over. Pinfall.” and sent the young boy back to Tsuruta. The young boy came back without a note. The issue was settled. You didn’t disagree with Baba. Ever. His word was tablets on Mount Sinai stuff for any All Japan employee or talent. A Hiroyuki Umino had stumbled saying his name to Baba when asked, and Baba heard “Unno”. And Unno was who Umino was known as in the whole industry to this very second.

Misawa’s win that night is considered the closing of the Tsuruta, Hansen, Tenyru era of All Japan, and the beginning of the era of the Four Heavenly Kings.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah, okay. That story is way cooler than what I thought happened

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Tweak posted:

Following that phenomenal SIOG vs Acclaimed match with a nuclear crowd, have there been confirmed instances of match results being changed mid match because of said crowd? Not like because of injuries or botches, but actually changed the winner because of what's happening in the arena. Though I would have to assume changing a match result and the titles is a stretch. I do always like when wrestlers pick up on it and change their heel/face dynamic.

There’s a rumor going around that Joey Janela called an audible while wrestling Nick Wayne to give the kid the win, but I’m kinda skeptical about it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Cameo posted:

It was before the show. People were chanting Misawa’s name waiting to get in, waiting for the show to start, all while Baba was guiding things from the commentary desk as he customarily did. After enough chanting, he went and checked with the merch stand, and was informed that they were out of Misawa stuff. So Baba went back down to the desk, wrote a note, handed it to a young boy, and told him to take it to Tsuruta. A few minutes later the young boy returned with a note from Tsuruta. Baba’s note had said “Misawa goes over. Pin.” Tsuruta’s begged “DQ instead? Double count out?”

So Baba wrote another note. It said, again, “Misawa goes over. Pinfall.” and sent the young boy back to Tsuruta. The young boy came back without a note. The issue was settled. You didn’t disagree with Baba. Ever. His word was tablets on Mount Sinai stuff for any All Japan employee or talent. A Hiroyuki Umino had stumbled saying his name to Baba when asked, and Baba heard “Unno”. And Unno was who Umino was known as in the whole industry to this very second.

Misawa’s win that night is considered the closing of the Tsuruta, Hansen, Tenyru era of All Japan, and the beginning of the era of the Four Heavenly Kings.

This is so cool and I always wondered why he was Red Shoes Unno. Thank you!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Red Shoes bit is because a couple years after arriving in New Japan he started wearing a red belt, shoes, and occasionally an undershirt in homage to Red Shoes Dugan, a famous California territory referee who died around the time Unno got hired by NJPW. So the company started referring to him as Red Shoes Unno.

Which is also why he’s the way he is - Dugan was also known for being very… energetic, especially dealing with Freddie Blassie. He’s playing the “Red Shoes” gimmick.

I also feel like I read once that Unno thought that, with Baba being two years gone and having jumped around a couple promotions prior to landing in NJPW, he would arrive and be able to abandon the Unno name and use his real one, only for Inoki to see him, go, “hey, you’re the one Baba renamed Unno, right? Well, you’re Unno here, too, what Baba says goes.” After all, despite being his business rival, Baba had been a tag partner of his, they had trained together under Rikidozan, and Inoki had a respect for the guy that went deep.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Scott Hall once had Jericho pin him even though he was supposed to go over to piss off Terry Taylor, although I think that was one of the rare points in Jericho's career where he wasn't over

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It isn't actually changing the outcome, but rather changing the match, but the famous Ric Flair vs George South tv match from 1988 where Flair decides to do a 15 minute competitive match against George who was a (very good and talented) jobber, simply out of spite because Dusty had forced him to work a morning match. They even worked through an ad break.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tweak posted:

Following that phenomenal SIOG vs Acclaimed match with a nuclear crowd, have there been confirmed instances of match results being changed mid match because of said crowd? Not like because of injuries or botches, but actually changed the winner because of what's happening in the arena. Though I would have to assume changing a match result and the titles is a stretch. I do always like when wrestlers pick up on it and change their heel/face dynamic.

Yeah the most famous won is when Jack Veneno beat Ric Flair for the NWA title when the finish changed during the match as Flair was afraid the crowd would riot if he won

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Does Peacock/the Network still have Beautiful Day playing over the HHH return videos from late 2001 or did they replace it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

I feel I'm in the minority (and correct me if im wrong), but I really don't mind when a Wrestler uses a band's music or popular music.

Like if a biker character wants to walk out to a Motorhead song, and it sounds cool, why not. Especially if the song becomes associated with them.

Then again my favorite walkout song is the nWo one so I have garbage taste lol

I think plenty of fans like plenty of real songs as entrance music. But I think the complication is that when the entrance song is done by a popular artist the you have a second personality in play. So like someone might have a strong positive reaction to a Megadeath song but some people might laugh at a Limp Bizkit song. That’s an extra factor that isn’t really there with an in-house song. No one has a preexisting opinion of the studio band.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

STAC Goat posted:

That’s an extra factor that isn’t really there with an in-house song. No one has a preexisting opinion of the studio band.

I do but I'm a freak like that

Mikey Ruckus owns

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I think plenty of fans like plenty of real songs as entrance music. But I think the complication is that when the entrance song is done by a popular artist the you have a second personality in play. So like someone might have a strong positive reaction to a Megadeath song but some people might laugh at a Limp Bizkit song. That’s an extra factor that isn’t really there with an in-house song. No one has a preexisting opinion of the studio band.

To be fair, this can be used to an act’s advantage, like when the Young Bucks started using “Mmmbop” when they decided to just go for broke and be obnoxious heels.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

That's a wicked good point actually. Plus it would suck if someone had a signature song from a known band and it becomes someones well-known associated song, then the bands singer is arrested for something terrible like nuking an orphanage and its ruined.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A crucial factor, which I don't think was mentioned, is that you have to be able to walk to it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Halloween Jack posted:

A crucial factor, which I don't think was mentioned, is that you have to be able to walk to it.

your lesson learned in life
known from the dawn of time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

your lesson learned in life
known from the dawn of time

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kvlt! posted:

That's a wicked good point actually. Plus it would suck if someone had a signature song from a known band and it becomes someones well-known associated song, then the bands singer is arrested for something terrible like nuking an orphanage and its ruined.

The converse can also be true! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffodi9xiG8

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
When was the first time WWE returned to Montreal after the screwjob? Backlash 03? Or were there any shows before this?

Edit: I meant Backlash 04 but this was actually from Edmonton, not Montreal.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 6, 2022

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
EDIT: Whoops wrong thread sorry

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 6, 2022

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When was the first time WWE returned to Montreal after the screwjob? Backlash 03? Or were there any shows before this?

Edit: I meant Backlash 04 but this was actually from Edmonton, not Montreal.

Looks like it may have been 10/18/01 Smackdown, at least for televised shows. Not sure if there were any earlier house shows.

Edit: Looks like there was a house show on 3/6/98
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=35704

Super Dan fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 6, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The answer is probably "no, of course not", but just for coverage.

Where there any "open challenge" competition things that where actually legit in wrestling promotions where fans participated? I assume all of that stopped before 1950's. This could be shoot wrestling, weightlifting, etc, etc

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pretty sure that's how William Regal got his start, shooting on drunks at Blackpool pier as a teenager

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NameHurtBrain posted:

X-Pac's later attitude era run is kinda a drag. He was over as hell in 1999, turns heel, feuds with Kane forever, aaaand... is never really relevant again. Feels like a lowkey mismanaging of a worker, maybe somehow made worse by Kliq connections(I know he was notorious from always being booked strong despite his declining position? It was weird.).

Like with what you know of Waltman, you'd expect some mid/upper midcard bangers with the Radicalz/Jericho/Angle, and that never really happened.

X-Pac never really was the same after the Kane feud, where they really turned that character into a creep. Still, he was having some really good matches with Jericho in late 2000, and the IC Title 4-way at No Way Out 2001 holds up. He definitely ends up getting lost in the shuffle by WMX-7 though.

Kvlt! posted:

I feel I'm in the minority (and correct me if im wrong), but I really don't mind when a Wrestler uses a band's music or popular music.

Like if a biker character wants to walk out to a Motorhead song, and it sounds cool, why not. Especially if the song becomes associated with them.

Then again my favorite walkout song is the nWo one so I have garbage taste lol

A wrestler using licenced music is a good way to show that the performer in question is a pretty big deal - that said, there are some people where it wouldn't really work with. Like, Austin and HHH had their band themes, like Disturbed doing Austin's theme and going "step up to the wing wanga dibah-doobee-doo" and Motorhead doing a bunch of HHH songs, but then, I can't imagine anyone being the right fit for The Rock or Foley.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Regal said his break into wrestling was pretty much "Hey Steve, ten bucks if you wrestle this drunk and make it look good without hurting him"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Defenestrategy posted:

The answer is probably "no, of course not", but just for coverage.

Where there any "open challenge" competition things that where actually legit in wrestling promotions where fans participated? I assume all of that stopped before 1950's. This could be shoot wrestling, weightlifting, etc, etc
I just heard about this in some random person's YouTube shoot whatevers when looking into who the hell Bob Roop was. APPARENTLY Bob Roop had a particularly smart and judo-trained fan ruin the "beat the sugar hold challenge" in 1981 which has to be as recently as anyone anywhere was still doing this

Plus a bonus BEAU JAMES photo in this article about it

Meanwhile here is my question asked for probably obvious reasons: Has anyone (else) ever won a match as a mystery masked entrant and then not immediately unmasked afterwards? Mr. America and the Midnight Rider or similar do not count

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Much as I don't like HHH, his first Motorhead theme was a good heel theme and his best theme.

Most other themes from popular musicians around that time were awful. The multiple remixes of Austin's theme? All worse than the original. DX by Run DMC? Sucked. Literally all of the.music Undertaker used during the biker years? Well that was more just awful music in general, regardless of how it suited wrestling specifically.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rujasu posted:

Much as I don't like HHH, his first Motorhead theme was a good heel theme and his best theme.

yes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rujasu posted:

DX by Run DMC? Sucked.

mods

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

edogawa rando posted:

Disturbed doing Austin's theme and going "step up to the wing wanga dibah-doobee-doo"
I can hear this post.

Kvlt! posted:

WWE came close to this, where they used a Lostprophets song for a Jeff Hardy promo (and I think it was almost his new entrance theme?), but the singer turned out to be one of the most depraved pedos I've ever read about and tried to buy a 1 year old kid or something.

Also what happened with Kane's unused Type O Negative theme really sucked. They put a ton of work into it and they thought the popularity would to relaunch them back into the public eye, but then WWE was like "lol no, Finger Eleven" at the last second, and Peter Steele was super depressed about it for years.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Bonk posted:

Also what happened with Kane's unused Type O Negative theme really sucked. They put a ton of work into it and they thought the popularity would to relaunch them back into the public eye, but then WWE was like "lol no, Finger Eleven" at the last second, and Peter Steele was super depressed about it for years.

It's a shame too because that would've been a top 5 theme of all time, imo. It's so sick.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

WWE came close to this, where they used a Lostprophets song for a Jeff Hardy promo (and I think it was almost his new entrance theme?), but the singer turned out to be one of the most depraved pedos I've ever read about and tried to buy a 1 year old kid or something.

Yeah, let's not get into talking about that guy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the intro to the type o negative kane song sabotaged the whole thing. they used booming circus bass drums and a digeridoo thinking it sounded like occult druidic stuff for some reason. the rest of it is the best theme kane would've ever had, ignoring the extremely boring guitar chug filler that most themes had anyway

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Disturbed doing Austin's theme and going "step up to the wing wanga dibah-doobee-doo"

SOME PANCAKES ARE LIVING INSIDE YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how does the Disturbed them compare to that one H-Blockx song that was used for that one austin music video and also possibly was used as his theme exactly once?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't Jericho get them to let him use a Fozzy song in WWE once as well? And it sucked. (Which is funny because Judas is only his theme now because it was the single that was out when he did the first Omega match in Japan)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

still have no idea what the lyrics to the disturbed theme were other than STEP UP

very disturbed's greatest hit like

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are there any other wrestling ppvs which were monumentally significant for their company in ways that had nothing to do with anything on the show? the obvious 1 thing show is survivor series 97 but that was on the show

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cavauro posted:

are there any other wrestling ppvs which were monumentally significant for their company in ways that had nothing to do with anything on the show? the obvious 1 thing show is survivor series 97 but that was on the show

Worlds Collide, maybe? I guess the exposure to lucha counts as “on the show.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Wasn't Austin's theme a Disturbed rip-off to begin with? And was the Disturbed theme that song or did they rip-off the rip-off?