Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I'm still uneducated about a lot of the transitioning process but after hearing trans people and doctors talk about bits of the process puberty blockers seem like a God send.
I first heard about them from reading works by Elsimar Coutinho (RIP), possibly the world's best gynecologist, who discovered and pioneered injectable contraceptives, massively improved quality of life for poor women in Brazil, researched (and became possibly the world expert in) endometriosis at a time when it was written off as 'women's troubles' by most doctors (still takes too many years to get a diagnosis even in the UK because of this), and then turned his attention to menstruation.

Why? Because if people were regularly bleeding and experiencing internal pain for any other reason it'd probably be a medical issue, but this one got written off as 'natural'. But then so did endometriosis and death in childbirth and all the other things he'd worked to understand, so why not? He ended up concluding that delaying the reproductive years until a woman wants to have children could have statistically huge effects on breast and ovarian cancers, which has been backed up by more recent research, but it never really took off like convenient family planning did (in part due to the same suspects we see here shouting about 'sterilizing children').

All in all it sounds like a good idea, one that of course should be subject to medical scrutiny and informed consent, but not one directed by outraged howling. (Funnily enough, he got plenty of that from the Catholic clergy when he started the injections in the 60s, but within a decade the massive reductions in the number of dead women, stillbirths, and abortions forced them to concede that either he was at least doing something moral in intent or that they just wanted an excuse to rant about someone, opinions were split but he was left to go about his work. Will terves and GC cultists ever do the same and log off?)

e: 24 years ago his work Is Menstruation Obsolete? was praised by The Lancet

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Puberty blockers:

I too am not 100% on this (I mean in terms of understanding).

When people say to me stuff like no one under the age of 18 should get these things, what I have gleaned mostly from here (and stand to be corrected!) and say to them - well to the ones who are willing to have a proper discussion anyway - is:
"As I understand it, if you go through puberty in your outward body, then irreversible physiological changes occur. However, if you take puberty blockers and don't go through puberty at the 'usual' age, and then when you're 18 or whatever decide that actually you don't wish to transition, you stop taking the blockers and have puberty, albeit at a later age than most people, and with no adverse effects."

Is this understanding right?

That's also my understanding of it.

Just done a little reading and confirmed, yeah: They pause the production of estrogen/testosterone. There are different kinds that can work from 1 month to 1 year. They sometimes use them on cis children, as sometimes kids start puberty much earlier than normal and it's better to delay it til the "normal" time. They've been used for about 40 years for this purpose so they're known to be safe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Truss certainly coming right out the gate presenting herself as an heir to Johnson:

https://twitter.com/tom_gann/status/1567242241084735488?s=21&t=7b_Iwfyza-1xXlwm3kPoYg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson has poo poo heir

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

Believe this was the smoking gun, but it's been suspected for some time, along with some other accounts. a bunch of Much-More-Online-than-me pro-trans tweeters that normally seem reasonable and trustworthy generally take it as established fact from their own experience, so take from that what you will.

https://twitter.com/aidanctweets/status/1480827026521083905
Sweet merciful christmas that ratio:

https://twitter.com/keffals/status/1510409331145154564?t=HvHPmA2HhqKgz0oOi4vnRQ&s=19

(943:2 as of time of posting)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I agree with her though.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Puberty blockers:

I too am not 100% on this (I mean in terms of understanding).

When people say to me stuff like no one under the age of 18 should get these things, what I have gleaned mostly from here (and stand to be corrected!) and say to them - well to the ones who are willing to have a proper discussion anyway - is:
"As I understand it, if you go through puberty in your outward body, then irreversible physiological changes occur. However, if you take puberty blockers and don't go through puberty at the 'usual' age, and then when you're 18 or whatever decide that actually you don't wish to transition, you stop taking the blockers and have puberty, albeit at a later age than most people, and with no adverse effects."

Is this understanding right?

very loathe to engage in this topic as I dont know wtf and don't want to offend, but that seems in some ways counter to the sports discussion we had the other day where the agreement seemed to be that after transition pretty much all advantage from a male puberty was voided? But maybe theres other things than sporting performance. I dunno.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

Truss certainly coming right out the gate presenting herself as an heir to Johnson:

Well it's better than that unsourced 'nightmare cabinet' leak which gave it to Zahawi or Sunak or someone similar.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to live a bit north of there in Woodside Park. It's maybe 25-45 minutes into central London depending on time of day, persons on the line, signal failures etc.

I don't mean you can't live there or anything - I'm just surprised you get profiteering like that even there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Well it's better than that unsourced 'nightmare cabinet' leak which gave it to Zahawi or Sunak or someone similar.

I don't mean you can't live there or anything - I'm just surprised you get profiteering like that even there.

Kwarteng and Truss co-authored Britannia Unchained. This is absolutely a nightmare scenario.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Truss trying to alienate every wing of the Tory party that didn't support her with her cabinet picks seems like a pretty interesting strategy. I feel like she came up with a plan when she was expected to win a massive majority of the membership and is too thick to have reconsidered it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

Kwarteng and Truss co-authored Britannia Unchained. This is absolutely a nightmare scenario.

I guess we'll see, but seems more like nationalist drivel than hardcore austerity (even if the employment laws bit is somewhat worrying).

e: They're still Tories obviously, but also just leaked a plan to freeze electricity prices increasing the deficit by 5% of GDP.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Truss trying to alienate every wing of the Tory party that didn't support her with her cabinet picks seems like a pretty interesting strategy. I feel like she came up with a plan when she was expected to win a massive majority of the membership and is too thick to have reconsidered it.

Or she's just surrounding herself with hardline loyalists because she knows she's the fourth Conservative Prime Minister in six years because her party is a nest of vipers. After a certain point, you have to recognise that a broad church is not, in fact, possible because someone's always going to be trying to burn it down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

That's also my understanding of it.

Just done a little reading and confirmed, yeah: They pause the production of estrogen/testosterone. There are different kinds that can work from 1 month to 1 year. They sometimes use them on cis children, as sometimes kids start puberty much earlier than normal and it's better to delay it til the "normal" time. They've been used for about 40 years for this purpose so they're known to be safe.

Yep. This happened to the son of a friend of mine, who both went through early puberty (he was about 9, I think) and had gender issues. It turned out that he wasn't trans, so when he got to the normal age for puberty they stopped the blockers as there was no more need for them. But if he had been they would have continued as part of the transitioning process. It's just a treatment.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I briefly thought she might be the bigger person and go for a unity cabinet; I have no idea why I thought that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I briefly thought she might be the bigger person and go for a unity cabinet; I have no idea why I thought that.

I think the bits about "yes I absolutely would nuke Moscow" and trying to reignite the hundred years war might have been slight red flags.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Britannia Unchained definitely sounds like self-published erotica about getting it in the backbench

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1567192381841149953

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

She definitely gets the vibe but missing the head tilt and the vacant smile of accomplishment

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I first heard about them from reading works by Elsimar Coutinho (RIP), possibly the world's best gynecologist, who discovered and pioneered injectable contraceptives, massively improved quality of life for poor women in Brazil, researched (and became possibly the world expert in) endometriosis at a time when it was written off as 'women's troubles' by most doctors (still takes too many years to get a diagnosis even in the UK because of this), and then turned his attention to menstruation.

Why? Because if people were regularly bleeding and experiencing internal pain for any other reason it'd probably be a medical issue, but this one got written off as 'natural'. But then so did endometriosis and death in childbirth and all the other things he'd worked to understand, so why not? He ended up concluding that delaying the reproductive years until a woman wants to have children could have statistically huge effects on breast and ovarian cancers, which has been backed up by more recent research, but it never really took off like convenient family planning did (in part due to the same suspects we see here shouting about 'sterilizing children').

All in all it sounds like a good idea, one that of course should be subject to medical scrutiny and informed consent, but not one directed by outraged howling. (Funnily enough, he got plenty of that from the Catholic clergy when he started the injections in the 60s, but within a decade the massive reductions in the number of dead women, stillbirths, and abortions forced them to concede that either he was at least doing something moral in intent or that they just wanted an excuse to rant about someone, opinions were split but he was left to go about his work. Will terves and GC cultists ever do the same and log off?)

e: 24 years ago his work Is Menstruation Obsolete? was praised by The Lancet

Excellent. I'm going to read up on Elsimar Coutinho and puberty blockers for a better understanding. Can then give some back when people start talking crap.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
signs, portents, and oracles all agree: liz truss has received the mandate of heaven

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it was a bit of rain

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and she's a moron

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder if it's discernible when you've stopped scraping the bottom of the barrel and started digging a hole under the barrel?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What's the over/under on her outlasting May and also the odds against Boris?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol you couldn't have selected a worse cabinet
Even if you appointed serial killers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh god, we're going to start getting actual policies soon, aren't we? Christ she is one of the absolute worst possible people to be at the wheel right now, oh god, oh gently caress,

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

how the gently caress have I reached the point where I now miss loving Cameron

Cameron was loving atrocious and he did everything in his power to kill the poor with six years of austerity, but loving hell, he wasn't a loving fascist like Truss and her crew, just an Etonian gobshite

the economic history of Britain since 1979 is the history of Thatcherism, and that wouldn't have changed in the Remain timeline just as it hasn't changed in ours, but surely we wouldn't currently be TERF Island in that timeline

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's times like this when I'm glad I have a poo poo ton of cannabis at my disposal

I honestly don't know how I'd be able to handle any of this poo poo sober

We're on a really bad timeline, aren't we?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Apraxin posted:

signs, portents, and oracles all agree: liz truss has received the mandate of heaven

She could have William Henry Harrison'd herself if it'd kept raining.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I wonder how much problem Truss had filling the ministerial posts? I was reading several people turned down Energy Secretary so Rees Bogg is adding it to his portfolio. Braverman and Not-Cleverly are totally thick. I don't know enough about Coffey. And not sure about Kwartang.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv
Oh god, Jacob Rees-Mogg, the member for the 18th century, is Business Secretary and navigating us out of the energy crisis is his responsibility. We’re hosed.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It has been a whole day into the Truss Regime and people are getting nostalgic for Boris.

My house has no insulation, draughty windows, and relies 100% on mains gas and electricity. Periodically I look at attempting to tackle this but it's just overwhelming. The house would need so much work and every single improvement is so expensive, incredibly disruptive and messy, and probably wouldn't do much in isolation. The only saving grace is that it's a tiny, 2-bed mid-terrace.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RDevz posted:

Oh god, Jacob Rees-Mogg, the member for the 18th century, is Business Secretary and navigating us out of the energy crisis is his responsibility. We’re hosed.

Don't worry, he has a financial stake in loving it all up!

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1567254736461496324

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Money Printer Go Brrrrrr
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/bloomberg/europe-s-lehman-warning-on-energy-prompts-flurry-of-cash-aid/47878814

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 7, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Cameron was loving atrocious and he did everything in his power to kill the poor with six years of austerity, but loving hell, he wasn't a loving fascist like Truss and her crew, just an Etonian gobshite

the economic history of Britain since 1979 is the history of Thatcherism, and that wouldn't have changed in the Remain timeline just as it hasn't changed in ours, but surely we wouldn't currently be TERF Island in that timeline

Cameron was nothing more than the delivery mechanism for May, Johnson, and Truss.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Scrolling down that page and squinting at the article where a 22yo argues that only full citizens should have political rights because otherwise people might come from “all over the world”. Switzerland seems like a nice place.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm in germany and the shops are full, everyone is wearing masks on public transport as its just the norm and I sat with some friends by the Alster and drank beer looking at the water with lots of strangers on various seats. It was lovely.

Hardly a perfect place, but it reminds me to take a step back and stop spiralling over how poo poo the uk govt is as it continues to find new depths to bust through.

Don't lose hope goons. There are good places and good people and with solidarity we'll get through this.

Ps. Join a union.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Goddamn I miss Germany

especially the masks on public transport, because goddamn, I take the bus and tram to work most every day in Edinburgh and hardly anyone wears masks anywhere nowadays

and yeah, as you say, Germany has its problems (Friedrich Merz being the most pressing problem atm), but at least it's not Britain

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

After a certain point, you have to recognise that a broad church is not, in fact, possible because someone's always going to be trying to burn it down.

Varg Vikernes as new Tory PM when?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Venomous posted:

Congratulations on the man who inserted his cock in a pig being the least awful PM in a decade. I don't think anyone would've believe it possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mebh posted:

Don't lose hope goons. There are good places and good people

yeah but not in the UK

edit: sorry, sorry, watching another actively malicious group of cunts gleefully take control of the sinking ship has not put me in a great place this week.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 7, 2022