Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trying to walk past a cat and they just like, slow down and fill the entire floor with cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Trying to walk past a cat and they just like, slow down and fill the entire floor with cat

Feature, not a bug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't understand why otherwise intelligent people say things like "You're bias!" instead of "You're biased!". This is second grade language arts, and you're a grown adult.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't understand why otherwise intelligent people say things like "You're bias!" instead of "You're biased!". This is second grade language arts, and you're a grown adult.

I've never heard anyone say "you're bias" :confused:

But making weird diminutive words out of slightly more correct words has been a function of social media for at least two decades now. I suspect I just haven't noticed it, and now that you've said this, I'm going to realize everyone around me have been accusing people of being bias.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On that line of thought, I know its a legit british english-ism, but I just hate 'expiry'

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

But making weird diminutive words out of slightly more correct words has been a function of social media for at least two decades now. I suspect I just haven't noticed it, and now that you've said this, I'm going to realize everyone around me have been accusing people of being bias.
I've seen it a lot from people that are essentially cargo culting their debate tactics

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hey if the parking garage at a popular place is 100% full, maybe make a point of departing with a *little* haste? Like not saying you should leave the place any earlier than you want, just that you're kind of a dick if you come back to your car and just hang out for an hour before you go?

While I'm at it, I love jaywalking and all, but cross perpendicular to the drat road. Your objective here is to cross as quickly as possible, you know?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

credburn posted:

I've mostly seen this online, and it's baffling. A mistake like mixing up its/it's is understandable because English is a weird rear end language. But putting -ed on the end of words is something people should have learned when they were seven.

Another unrelated peeve: a recent trend where random numbers call my cell phone, I don't answer, and they immediately call again thinking that I'm going to be stupid enough to pick up. I don't answer numbers I don't know, so just stop wasting your loving time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've seen "biast" once or twice on Twitter

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I guess if you've not seen it written that often, you might hear it as "bias." Then your incorrect assumption is reaffirmed by others who write it that way. Then the new version of word acquires mass usage, the dictionary gets updated, and people who use the old word are recategorized as "pedants" or "grammar nazis" or just "out of touch".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I have bad news about the reading comprehension level of most adults.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Another unrelated peeve: a recent trend where random numbers call my cell phone, I don't answer, and they immediately call again thinking that I'm going to be stupid enough to pick up. I don't answer numbers I don't know, so just stop wasting your loving time.

I think there was some sort of anti-solicitation thing that used to work by blocking every call the first time but letting it through the second time assuming it was urgent, I presume that setup is to break through that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've mostly seen this online, and it's baffling. A mistake like mixing up its/it's is understandable because English is a weird rear end language. But putting -ed on the end of words is something people should have learned when they were seven.
It makes sense if they assume it's an adjective. If you only/mostly hear it in the context of a person or organisation being biased rather than discussing bias as a concept or individual biases, it would be easy to make that assumption.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wasn't "bias" used as a noun a few years back to mean a thing you support? Or something along those lines, it's ringing a bell for me. I think this might be being influenced by that usage of the word.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tenebrais posted:

Wasn't "bias" used as a noun a few years back to mean a thing you support? Or something along those lines, it's ringing a bell for me. I think this might be being influenced by that usage of the word.

"Bias" is a noun. It means an "inclination towards something". Or diagonal.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

"Bias" is a noun. It means an "inclination towards something". Or diagonal.

Yes, I know. It also got picked up to mean a thing you are a fan of.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Kpop fans use it in reference to their favourite member of a group, if that's what you're thinking of

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

People using “addicting” instead of “addictive” used to really bother me but apparently they’re both right so I just need to get over myself :rip:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tenebrais posted:

It's possible to have a bias for/be biased in favor of something, sure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bending over to casually pick something up and missing with your grasp. Then when it happens a second time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brawnfire posted:

Bending over to casually pick something up and missing with your grasp. Then when it happens a second time.

Lmfao

All the time.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

do y'all not have depth perception or something

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

loving skunks man. At least once a month they bust their sick rear end nut outside and its always at night when Ive got fans blowing in and it just floods the house with noxious fumes. If I could thanos snap these assholes from existence Id do it in a heartbeat.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Riatsala posted:

Hey if the parking garage at a popular place is 100% full, maybe make a point of departing with a *little* haste? Like not saying you should leave the place any earlier than you want, just that you're kind of a dick if you come back to your car and just hang out for an hour before you go?

What IS the actual deal with people that get into their car, start the engine, and sit there with it idling for 1-2 hours?

It doesn't even affect me because I don't drive, but what the poo poo?

Edit: my next door neighbor starts his pickup at 5 AM, gets in and starts revving the engine at 6, and actually departs for work at 7. It's hosed.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Sep 8, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

What IS the actual deal with people that get into their car, start the engine, and sit there with it idling for 1-2 hours?

It doesn't even affect me because I don't drive, but what the poo poo?

Edit: my next door neighbor starts his pickup at 5 AM, gets in and starts revving the engine at 6, and actually departs for work at 7. It's hosed.

First thing that came to mind is those boomer humor cartoons where every married couple hates each other and will do anything to avoid each other. So those two hours alone in the car are the only moment of enjoyment in their day.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

AcidCat posted:

loving skunks man. At least once a month they bust their sick rear end nut outside and its always at night when Ive got fans blowing in and it just floods the house with noxious fumes. If I could thanos snap these assholes from existence Id do it in a heartbeat.

wtf skunks aren't going around ejaculating all over your house. They're spraying it with their anuses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, sick rear end-nut

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
TTRPG peeve: my group hates high fantasy tropes, but refuses to play anything but D&D. Oh, this is taking place in our world circa 1935, no magic, the characters are investigating mysterious happenings in a small town? That's Call of Cthulhu. You want to play Call of Cthulhu. Same thing, but we're in the Weird West? That's Deadlands. There are so many.

But it's always "I just want to keep things simple! ... So make sure if you're playing a magic class you can reflavor any spells you use to be non-magic effects. I'll give you first aid kits instead of potions, stuff like Healing Word I guess you could rewrite it so it gives you enough movement to get to the injured person and use one of your first aid kits, but then you have to move back to where you were before..."

For the love of God, we're adults, we can learn a different way to roll dice if you have such an aversion to the game you insist on playing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

TTRPG peeve: my group hates high fantasy tropes, but refuses to play anything but D&D. Oh, this is taking place in our world circa 1935, no magic, the characters are investigating mysterious happenings in a small town? That's Call of Cthulhu. You want to play Call of Cthulhu. Same thing, but we're in the Weird West? That's Deadlands. There are so many.

But it's always "I just want to keep things simple! ... So make sure if you're playing a magic class you can reflavor any spells you use to be non-magic effects. I'll give you first aid kits instead of potions, stuff like Healing Word I guess you could rewrite it so it gives you enough movement to get to the injured person and use one of your first aid kits, but then you have to move back to where you were before..."

For the love of God, we're adults, we can learn a different way to roll dice if you have such an aversion to the game you insist on playing.

:psyduck:

That's wild.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I deal with it because they're my friends and I wind up having fun anyway, but it is starting to get excessive.

Also I like all those other systems and I want to use them more, dang it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drive one into left field and introduce them to Paranoia, or Gamma World.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a semi idling out front of my neighbor's house and it's filling my house with diesel fumes

I've had to close all my windows on a beautiful day

What the gently caress, gently caress off

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was at a professional conference yesterday and of course people in the audience wouldn't shut the gently caress up. Stop whispering and listen to the loving speaker. You're paying for this and so is everyone else. Why can't people just shut the gently caress up.

Also people sneezing, coughing, phone ringing, clearing throat, shuffling through their bag, clearing their throats again, shaking their legs so that the keys jangle. And mulitply that by a hundred people in a room. Get hosed!

And do we really need to gather thousands of people in one place during a pandemic.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Parasol Prophet posted:

TTRPG peeve: my group hates high fantasy tropes, but refuses to play anything but D&D.

WTF, Deadlands and GURPS are both free. Like all you need to do is buy some poker chips.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I was at a professional conference yesterday and of course people in the audience wouldn't shut the gently caress up. Stop whispering and listen to the loving speaker. You're paying for this and so is everyone else. Why can't people just shut the gently caress up.

Also people sneezing, coughing, phone ringing, clearing throat, shuffling through their bag, clearing their throats again, shaking their legs so that the keys jangle. And mulitply that by a hundred people in a room. Get hosed!

And do we really need to gather thousands of people in one place during a pandemic.

I'm a member of one professional organization which puts on an annual conference, and it is like 70% of their operating income, so, yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tenebrais posted:

That's the literal meaning of it. "PSY is my bias, and I love when he gangnam styled into that stable. Jungkook is overrated poo poo for zoomers."

HOLY gently caress posted:

People using “addicting” instead of “addictive” used to really bother me but apparently they’re both right so I just need to get over myself :rip:

Yes, that is a gerund and it's a super common thing in english, and considered to be "official" proper grammar for the learned smarts. "Heroin is addictive (adjective)." "Heroin is addicting (also adjective.)"

"That post is shocking." (adjective, another gerund formed by taking a verb and slapping the -ing on to express "wow this is a very stupid post")

My pet peeve is prescriptive linguistics. Especially when it's just "that seems wrong" but no it's accepted, it's just not how you talk. I'm definitely not using punctuation correctly here, and I ain't give a poo poo. I tried to sound generic newscaster american in the freedom fries era, and now I just miss my native accent and wish I could go back. This here post is not an academic paper, y'all all understand what I'm saying, so who cares? Look upon my comma splices, ye mighty, and despair.

e: or hell let's compare to french. "Je marche" is both "I walk" and "I am walking." Because french doesn't use gerunds like that. In english those have different connotations. You take walks vs you are currently en route to a location as a pedestrian. It's a convenient construction. Other ways english lacks convenient constructions, like I how I keep saying "you" but I mean general person, I don't mean to specifically call out poster HOLY gently caress. In french perhaps I'd use "on" but using "one" for that in modern american english makes you sound real weird.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Sep 9, 2022

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, that is a gerund and it's a super common thing in english, and considered to be "official" proper grammar for the learned smarts. "Heroin is addictive (adjective)." "Heroin is addicting (also adjective.)"

If we're talking "official proper grammar for the learned smarts" I might as well point out that's not a gerund, it's a present participle. A present participle is when you use an "-ing" verb as an adjective; a gerund is when you use an "-ing" verb as a noun. E.g., "I enjoy posting dumb grammar poo poo;" posting is the thing/noun that is the object of verb "enjoy". Why do these things have different names? I assume, like most things with formal English grammar, its original purpose was to enable discrimination against 19th century poor people who couldn't afford a formal education.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: or hell let's compare to french. "Je marche" is both "I walk" and "I am walking." Because french doesn't use gerunds like that. In english those have different connotations. You take walks vs you are currently en route to a location as a pedestrian. It's a convenient construction.
Where does something like "être en marchant" fall into this? (No snark--I'm genuinely curious as a linguist who used to be fluent in French and now gets into deep grammar conversations with her French-learning teen.)

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Just in case: I wasn’t trying to be snarky or anything, I just find the feeling that there’s something wrong when I know there isn’t to be kind of disturbing, especially when it’s over something minor like word usage and I’m annoyed at myself for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
When I make a comment to someone and its met with silence. Then I assume they didn't hear me the first time, and I repeat myself, but they cut in with "yeah i heard you the first time". Oh really? Did you? Can I get an mhm or oh yeah or yep or SOME acknowledgement that you have received the information to your ears? Its like I am talking to a brick wall sometimes! Might as well be.