Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Can you butt chug coffee? Do that. Probably not hot though.

Edit: perhaps my worst snipe, adding a question.

Is school starting today (the day after labour day) just a Canada thing? I thought I heard some yanks talking about school in August.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trapick posted:

Is school starting today (the day after labour day) just a Canada thing? I thought I heard some yanks talking about school in August.

When/where I grew up (PA in the 90s/00s) it was always the day after labor day, but apparently it has crept earlier in many places including the school district i went to as a child. Where I live now though (OR), it is indeed the day after labor day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Such Fun posted:

Drink less coffee

Seriously, if drinking coffee is giving you acid reflux and you respond to that by asking the internet how to chemicallly engineer it so you can keep drinking your coffee.. that’s some tweaker behaviour buddy

i already started reducing my intake, but it would also be nice to know if there's other things I can do to reduce the acidity a bit. why are you reacting like this :confused:

Trapick posted:

Some bread will have a bit of sugar, but it's usually no more than 1-2 tablespoons in a loaf. Even Subway, which is probably as sweet/sugary as bread will ever get, has like 6g of sugar in a footlong (compare to 39g for a can of coke). Basically if you're worried about sugar specifically, bread can be pretty low on the list.

what would 2 tablespoons a loaf work out to in terms of grams per slice?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trapick posted:

it's called a coffee enema and there are entire internet forums based around the idea that you can cure cancer by doing it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

actionjackson posted:

A quick Google says a tbsp of sugar is about 12g

If you imagine a homemade loaf being cut into about a dozen slices, at 2 tbsp of sugar per loaf (which to me sounds on the high end) we're still only looking at 2 g per slice

e: I wonder how much of that sugar is even left after fermentation :thunk:

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

actionjackson posted:

alnilam posted:

A quick Google says a tbsp of sugar is about 12g

If you imagine a homemade loaf being cut into about a dozen slices, at 2 tbsp of sugar per loaf (which to me sounds on the high end) we're still only looking at 2 g per slice

e: I wonder how much of that sugar is even left after fermentation :thunk:

Was just about to write the same thing. Just for interest's sake I did look up the nutrition info for a few types of bread: Wonderbread contains 5g of sugar per two slices, the Canadian Rye bread that I ate before being diagnosed Celiac has 1g of sugar for 2 slices and the gluten free bread I eat now has 3g per 2 slices.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's called a coffee enema and there are entire internet forums based around the idea that you can cure cancer by doing it

There's a very good, recent F+ podcast on this very subject

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ty for the detailed bread and coffee info!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

About a decade ago I was listening to some local public radio personalities make fun of coffee enemas. Later on in the episode a few people who REALLY believed in the practice called in and they got in a big argument about it. It was magical.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Trapick posted:

The day after Labor day was always the case for me from elementary through high school. But school started in late August once I was in college and post-grad studies.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Getting a high from all that caffeine going straight into the bloodstream is probably pretty fun to be fair. It's just everything else about it that really, really isn't.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ancillary Character posted:

The day after Labor day was always the case for me from elementary through high school. But school started in late August once I was in college and post-grad studies.

My kids started school Aug 8th. This is elementary school in CA

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i already started reducing my intake, but it would also be nice to know if there's other things I can do to reduce the acidity a bit. why are you reacting like this :confused:

Perhaps I was projecting a bit there, sorry about that.
I actually have a chronically hosed up oesophagus myself, so I know how impactful on your quality of life it can be. I hope you'll find a solution that suits you

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Trapick posted:

In the US, the start of school is entirely determined by the states and, in some states, by individual municipalities. It was always the day after Labor Day here in Massachusetts when I was a kid, but now it seems to be the last week of August.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AlbieQuirky posted:

In the US, the start of school is entirely determined by the states and, in some states, by individual municipalities. It was always the day after Labor Day here in Massachusetts when I was a kid, but now it seems to be the last week of August.

Same for Virginia when I was growing up, after Labor Day unless the county had a snow waiver, but it sounds like they're being more lenient with those these days. Both of the counties I went to school in are now starting in August

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where I’m from in Virginia, school didn’t start until after Labor Day thanks to the lobbyists from the amusement parks and lovely beachfront souvenir stores that needed child labor to stay open.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Where I’m from in Virginia, school didn’t start until after Labor Day thanks to the lobbyists from the amusement parks and lovely beachfront souvenir stores that needed child labor to stay open.

Not quite the same, but similar story in NY. The NY State Fair has historically been a HUGE deal for farmers/ranchers, etc state-wide, and of course the kids have to come help. The Fair runs for 9 days ending in Labor day, so school always started the Thursday after Labor to account for travel time from Syracuse back to Where Ever, NY.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is it normal for gas ovens to make a little clicking sound every now and then as the temperature adjusts?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trickortreat posted:

Is it normal for gas ovens to make a little clicking sound every now and then as the temperature adjusts?

Yes, in my experience. Mine makes a clicking noise when the the burner relights to keep the temperature the same. It could also be the metal expanding/contracting with changes in temperature.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Is any auto insurance company less horrible than the others?

I just got dropped from mine because last year my car got dinged by some rando in a parking lot (didn't see it happen), and earlier this year I got rear-ended at a stop light by a hit-and-run driver that they never tracked down.

This is my first time owning a new car that isn't a 10+ year-old poo poo-mobile, so I filed claims for body work. My deductible was high so I paid close to 2 grand and Liberty Mutual paid around $200 or $300.

I assume I just tripped a loving algorithm somewhere that said that I've had the policy less than a year so I made too many claims, or something like that.

I've got a few weeks to get someone else, any tips? I guess next time I just won't file a claim unless it's for several thousands of dollars?

gently caress you Liberty!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

I just got dropped from mine because last year my car got dinged by some rando in a parking lot (didn't see it happen), and earlier this year I got rear-ended at a stop light by a hit-and-run driver that they never tracked down.

This is my first time owning a new car that isn't a 10+ year-old poo poo-mobile, so I filed claims for body work. My deductible was high so I paid close to 2 grand and Liberty Mutual paid around $200 or $300.

I assume I just tripped a loving algorithm somewhere that said that I've had the policy less than a year so I made too many claims, or something like that.

I've got a few weeks to get someone else, any tips? I guess next time I just won't file a claim unless it's for several thousands of dollars?

Your best bet is to shop around, it really varies from company to company. Insurance companies love to take your business.

I switched from Farmer's to Geico a number of years back and they dropped my bi-annual price by like $300.

Edit: Use a secondary e-mail and ask for a quote from different providers, they will spam the poo poo out of you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

IDK but when I was shopping around in January, Geico was hugely cheaper than every other company even after I bumped up the coverage quite a bit. My 2016 Mazda 3 (paid off but still doing full coverage) is something like $330 / 6 months and when I recently bought a new truck and added it to the coverage, my premium went up like $150 over 6 months.

E: and that's with one windshield claim and one not-at-fault accident claim (other driver's insurance paid out but I think it still looks bad to be in an accident) over the last two years

E2: and if your deductible is high and insurance would only pay out another couple hundred after the deductible, just pay it yourself. Saving $200 at the body shop isn't worth it compared to the increased premiums

E3: I misremembered and the actual cost for my Mazda and a $50k truck is $712 over 6 months. I know it was drastically cheaper than anyone else though.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah I'd recommend Geico but I'm also working from the perspective of "this is a legal requirement, even if I ever got in an accident I'd never expect anything out of them." Not that I have any experience with trying to make a claim, but Geico has overall been very forgiving of missing payments (in the sense that they drop you immediately but also accept you back just fine, they don't blackball you or w/e) and overall pretty easy and smooth to deal with. I also actually like their website.
I mean I clearly have different priorities or maybe just absurdly low standards but idk, I'd frankly call Geico one of the better companies I've ever had to do business with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you can get USAA, get USAA.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've had the best customer service experience with Geico. I have progressive now and it's so much worse by comparison

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Geico is fine but a distant second. Screw Farmers and Progressive insurance though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beat me to it. This.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

artsy fartsy posted:

There's a reason every insurance company advertises poo poo like "people who switch to us save X%!" You've just gotta shop around every few years, get quotes from several and pick the cheapest. No one company is gonna treat you right and give you the best deal every time, even if they did at some point in the past.

They're all insurance companies so of course the lifeblood of all of them is soulless rooms full of lawyers trying to get out of paying as much as they can get away with.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently, Gmail has stopped showing me all my emails in my Inbox. I've discovered this because the last couple times I've ordered something from Amazon, I didn't get an email confirmation (or so I thought). Turns out that if I select the "All mail" category, I see those confirmation emails. Looking in more detail, it seems Gmail has applied the "important" label (yellow chevron) to most of my emails, but not all (e.g. the Amazon ones). Is there any way to just turn off this "important" label entirely? I want all of my emails to show up in the Inbox, always.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

Recently, Gmail has stopped showing me all my emails in my Inbox. I've discovered this because the last couple times I've ordered something from Amazon, I didn't get an email confirmation (or so I thought). Turns out that if I select the "All mail" category, I see those confirmation emails. Looking in more detail, it seems Gmail has applied the "important" label (yellow chevron) to most of my emails, but not all (e.g. the Amazon ones). Is there any way to just turn off this "important" label entirely? I want all of my emails to show up in the Inbox, always.

I don't think you can turn off the label, but you can make it stop separating your emails by priority by clicking the cog and selecting "default" under "inbox type".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

I don't think you can turn off the label, but you can make it stop separating your emails by priority by clicking the cog and selecting "default" under "inbox type".

That's already selected.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A bit below that there's an option to only notify for priority emails or all or none. Would make sense if that was set to the wrong thing.

E: sorry, don't know where I got that this was about notifications. So that's not going to be it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 8, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

That's already selected.

Click "customise" under that to make sure it's set to the simplest form?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

should I be using Log In with Google everywhere it's available? I feel like I read somewhere it's more secure than having a username/password for each website individually

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

A bit below that there's an option to only notify for priority emails or all or none. Would make sense if that was set to the wrong thing.

E: sorry, don't know where I got that this was about notifications. So that's not going to be it.

It's got only one category (Primary) checked right now.

Edit: now I'm getting double notifications on my phone. One for inbox and one for all mail.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 8, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

should I be using Log In with Google everywhere it's available? I feel like I read somewhere it's more secure than having a username/password for each website individually

You can enable 2-factor authentication with your google account - that would make it more secure by requiring verification whenever a log-in is attempted. The trade-off is giving google more information to track you with.

If you're concerned about privacy, a password manager with 2FA will give you the same benefit, as well as generating strong passwords for each individual account. I think Bitwarden does 2FA?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Such Fun posted:

Perhaps I was projecting a bit there, sorry about that.
I actually have a chronically hosed up oesophagus myself, so I know how impactful on your quality of life it can be. I hope you'll find a solution that suits you

About 10 years ago I started taking Omeprazole once a day. Brand name Prilosec. Changed my life. Haven’t had acid reflux in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lincoln posted:

About 10 years ago I started taking Omeprazole once a day. Brand name Prilosec. Changed my life. Haven’t had acid reflux in years.
i had to take this while i was on prednisone and the package says not to take for more than 14 days every 4 months. is that safe to take daily? i used to have acid reflux when i was 20lbs overweight and when i lost that weight it stopped happening