Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's exactly what someone with a grand plan would say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

PostNouveau posted:

They seem to me to have settled into a pattern of keeping the long-term lore stuff to the first and last episodes of every season.

they did have the Bird Person/Blood Ridge episode last season, but the first episode wasn't really continuity heavy, so having two plot advancing episodes a season seems to be the pattern.

FireWorksWell posted:

That reminds me, I really liked the reveal that Rick was actually there in that tube.

It was so good, Rick Prime is so chaotically unpredictable. I can see how he's been able to stay one step ahead of C137

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Does the portal index reset effect evil morty? Has he been dragged back to his own dimension? :sludgepal:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Manwithastick posted:

Does the portal index reset effect evil morty? Has he been dragged back to his own dimension? :sludgepal:

His portal was yellow, or do I remember that wrong?

Not saying that this has to have any implications for < waves hands around head > anything, but I wonder if the distinction was deliberate (again, if I am remembering correctly).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are noth perfectly reasonable sci-fi nonsense outcomes and can be used as is funnier.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Manwithastick posted:

:magemage:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

don't think about all the dimensions where dismembered Ricks and Morties from the Citadel got dumped onto the dining room table

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Excelzior posted:

don't think about all the dimensions where dismembered Ricks and Morties from the Citadel got dumped onto the dining room table

Next episode is just going to be an 11 minute montage of this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Next episode is Summer doing a Die Hard

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Putting aside questions of whether he left the Central Finite Curve or just destroyed the barrier between it and the rest of infinity (and thus the question of whether or not he even could be pulled back), he still has functioning portal fluid, so even if he is, he can just leave. The remaining Ricks have a tainted supply if they have any at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I finally decided to get caught up with season 4 and 5 (and the first episode of season 6). Why didn't people like the past few seasons again? This is another Vindicators 3 situation where I liked basically all of seasons 4 and 5 while everyone else seemed to hate them. I thought they were really good, and frankly I don't think Rick and Morty has dipped in quality at all at. The only episode that felt a little weak to me was the Gotron episode.

Also I am just consistently impressed by the animators on this show. ESPECIALLY the background artists, they do not get enough credit. I'd love to see Rich and Morty get a feature length movie animation budget.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Macaluso posted:

Why didn't people like the past few seasons again?

Because people hate fun. Also, it reduces the impact when you can binge it, so you don't have the echo chamber of bitching every week when an episode isn't perfect.

There was also a rather substantial hiatus between the two halves of season 4, so the rather lower quality of the first five episodes had time to fester in people's brains.

The giant incest baby throughline in season 5 was pretty crap. (Look at the Wikipedia article for Rickdependence Spray. lol. It's also the only episode of the show written by Nick Rutherford which might explain it.) But otherwise, I thought season 5 was a banger.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 7, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've seen mention of distaste for how violent it's gotten and Rick on the surface being a character who almost always wins

Macaluso posted:

The only episode that felt a little weak to me was the Gotron episode.

This, Morty Gets a Dragon and the Heist episode are the only episodes I really didn't like.

The sperm episode was really stupid and had more than a couple tired sexist jokes but I don't dislike it for whatever reason. I love the bit where the men are confident the sperm are headed for the Grand Canyon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

See I loved the heist episode specifically becasue it was so absolutely stupid and it was very clear it was made for no other reason than Harmon and/or Roiland hated heist movies. Also the heist music was excellent, props to the R&M music team

FireWorksWell posted:

I've seen mention of distaste for how violent it's gotten and Rick on the surface being a character who almost always wins

I've heard the God Rick complaint too but I dunno, Rick doesn't win all the time and Rick is a sad, depressed, alcoholic who is barely holding on to his own life. I really loved the ending of the special toilet episode for this exact reason.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 7, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

They seem to me to have settled into a pattern of keeping the long-term lore stuff to the first and last episodes of every season.

Season 5: Mr Nimbus was episode 1. Restoring Bird Person (with much backstory) was 8 into two-part 9&10 mega Citadel continuity. I don’t think there’s a solid pattern, except that the last episode is always a season finale.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The week-to-week aspect was a big part, at least from how I remember it. People warmed up pretty well to the season by the time of the finale. But Rickdependence Spray and the Gotron episode cast long shadows and there was a kind of lingering feeling that the show was going down the tubes. There was also a funny thing where due to someone fat fingering a button somewhere, some people saw the Gotron episode on the night of Rickdependence Spray, so that was quite the one two punch.

Also, yeah, it didn't feel like they had a good through line. It felt like they might be going for a "Morty just wants a bit of a normal life" arc but it kind of fizzled. The finale and Birdperson episode made up for a lot though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty’s nebulous balance between canon and sci-fi rigmarole & hijinx is the secret success sauce. Harmon isn’t going to hire anyone to his staff who doesn’t understand how key that interplay is to the fanbase. The idea that some writers “hate” the canon or whatever seems demonstrably false.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

On top of the big gaps it's worth noting seasons one started airing in 2013. Its fans are almost decade older and likely have simply changed a lot much like its creators and production staff.

Judging the quality feels subjective but personally it felt like it was just spinning its wheels a bit the previous season and watch it felt the same way as watching a new episode of The Simpsons or Family Guy these days. The excessive product placement outside of the show where Rick & Morty are the actual product may play a role in that, but I'm also just not the same person as when those shows were big either. The new episode made me feel optimistic though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Season 5 veers between 'nothing matters' and 'try some continuity' without really finding a good middle ground. Mortyplicity is the only episode that's memorable for being funny. The last three episodes are more grim than funny.

Basically even taken at its highest and forgetting the awful episodes, there's nothing in that season that you would rush to rewatch.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

FireWorksWell posted:

This, Morty Gets a Dragon and the Heist episode are the only episodes I really didn't like.

I felt the same way about Morty Gets a Dragon the first time. On rewatch, it made me laugh harder than many of the ‘better’ episodes.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 7, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A good episode of Rick & Morty should make you laugh really hard and upset you a teensy little bit, IMO.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my partner and their mum laugh so hard at the giant sperm episode that I have come around to its dumb charms.

also the best character in S5 is the President. when he calls Morty "the biggest booger-eater here" and Beth tells him off is perfect. just promote Keith David to full time cast member, he is the best

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

alf_pogs posted:

also the best character in S5 is the President.

Turkey episode alone justifies s5's existence

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Next episode is Summer doing a Die Hard

Rick has an apparent schtick of pretending to not know his own pop culture references. Like Iron Man in this episode, there is 0% chance he forgot the name of 'the guy in Die Hard'.

Macaluso posted:

See I loved the heist episode specifically becasue it was so absolutely stupid and it was very clear it was made for no other reason than Harmon and/or Roiland hated heist movies.

Harmon at least loves to hate them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdHBP6mgdE

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Manwithastick posted:

It will if they need it to, and it won't if they don't. Whichever works best for where they're at when they decide to revisit this.

They could also just never touch on this again because Evil Morty wound up kickstarting the arc that's probably gonna' take us through the next several seasons, possibly up to the ending. His role in this story is absolutely a complete one, should they decide to play it that way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

You cannot make a pastiche mocking a genre that well without having a love/hate relationship with them, let's not kid ourselves

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Macaluso posted:

See I loved the heist episode specifically becasue it was so absolutely stupid and it was very clear it was made for no other reason than Harmon and/or Roiland hated heist movies. Also the heist music was excellent, props to the R&M music team

I've heard the God Rick complaint too but I dunno, Rick doesn't win all the time and Rick is a sad, depressed, alcoholic who is barely holding on to his own life. I really loved the ending of the special toilet episode for this exact reason.
Literally the last two episodes have been Rick getting owned by Evil Morty and then by Rick Prime. He was outclassed by both.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The endgame is getting the Szechuan sauce. All roads must lead to that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The revisiting of cronenverse multiple times along with the other abandoning dimensions gag really undermines any catharsis about “character growth” or anything. It doesn’t work if you keep bringing up that Morty’s real family is abandoned/dead. And don’t give me that “but my found family” crap from this episode. That only works if they were the ones to actually raise him and love him and live with him his whole life, not just the people who’s couch he’s crashing on this week, since we know from how they keep reusing the gag he’s done it like 4-5 times now. Hell he’ll probably abandon this group for a gag before the season is out. Same goes for any recurring character like Bird Person or whoever. Ricks not really doing character growth if he’s just getting a replacement bird person instead of staying in touch with his.

The thing is though I did find the episode hilarious. The gags were great, it’s just the connective tissue that falls apart under its own rules.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Also, is this the end of garbage can car?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

galagazombie posted:

The revisiting of cronenverse multiple times along with the other abandoning dimensions gag really undermines any catharsis about “character growth” or anything. It doesn’t work if you keep bringing up that Morty’s real family is abandoned/dead. And don’t give me that “but my found family” crap from this episode. That only works if they were the ones to actually raise him and love him and live with him his whole life, not just the people who’s couch he’s crashing on this week, since we know from how they keep reusing the gag he’s done it like 4-5 times now. Hell he’ll probably abandon this group for a gag before the season is out. Same goes for any recurring character like Bird Person or whoever. Ricks not really doing character growth if he’s just getting a replacement bird person instead of staying in touch with his.

Rick addresses explicitly why he won't get a new BP in last season: he tells the garage AI that doing the work to save his BP is what's important and that jumping to get a new one renders the whole thing (correctly) meaningless.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

alf_pogs posted:

Rick addresses explicitly why he won't get a new BP in last season: he tells the garage AI that doing the work to save his BP is what's important and that jumping to get a new one renders the whole thing (correctly) meaningless.

They literally jumped universes again this episode.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The implication is specifically that these five people are each other's family. Morty even has a speech about how our Rick is his real grandpa. The character growth is that Rick won't abandon them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

live with fruit posted:

The implication is specifically that these five people are each other's family. Morty even has a speech about how our Rick is his real grandpa. The character growth is that Rick won't abandon them.

Six :3:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I demand an explanation of if two people who portaled to a new dimension, then had a kid in that dimension, if the kid would also be sent back to the original dimension.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I demand an explanation of if two people who portaled to a new dimension, then had a kid in that dimension, if the kid would also be sent back to the original dimension.

I say no, since the child never went through a portal themselves and it sounds like that's what Rick reset, portal travelers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Well they seemed to be closing the door on abandoning core family in this episode, so I don't think you'll have to worry about it going forward.

That said, Beth's reaction to hearing her Morty is dead seemed pretty drat cold. poo poo, lady, you gave birth to him and raised him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Takes No Damage posted:

I say no, since the child never went through a portal themselves and it sounds like that's what Rick reset, portal travelers.

But the sperm and egg that created him were portal travelers, so maybe by extension so are all the new cells they created?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Phenotype posted:

But the sperm and egg that created him were portal travelers, so maybe by extension so are all the new cells they created?

Well, the egg is, since egg cells are finite, but the sperm might be natively created in that new demension.

So maybe you're looking at King Solomon's nightmare scenario where the child's DNA is ripped in twain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, the egg is, since egg cells are finite, but the sperm might be natively created in that new demension.

So maybe you're looking at King Solomon's nightmare scenario where the child's DNA is ripped in twain.

Natively created in the new dimension, sure, but created from the material of transported cells.