Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Wow, creepy nighttime smiling guy is alive. WIA and recovering from surgeries but still there

https://twitter.com/y_gudymenko/status/1559852877291692032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Who?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Guy who made this video in the very early stages of the war, who apparently was very correct about Ukraine's ability to thwart the invader but at the time it seemed a very open question:

https://twitter.com/ethanplayslive/status/1497382600301858821?s=20&t=fZ9NQzFZJ8Vq1HO5Rrgomg

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

The soldier who has the video clip of himself screwing on a suppressor and telling Russians to back off. One of the more recognizable troops from the early war

https://twitter.com/ethanplayslive/status/1497382600301858821

efb

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've been away on vacation for the past two weeks. Anything super siginifcant happening in the war, other than Russia having to buy hardware from North Korea?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cimber posted:

I've been away on vacation for the past two weeks. Anything super siginifcant happening in the war, other than Russia having to buy hardware from North Korea?

Ukranian counteroffensive near Kherson is sort of glacially proceeding.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhZil4lCOU

I get the sense they had to lower the volume on these videos before posting because those jets seem to be only slightly above tree level.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Madurai posted:

No, we're just not hearing a lot about it because the Ukrainians are doing a real good job with opsec. Of course they were not going to blitz it, they don't have the manpower, but everything we've heard is they are making slow and steady progress.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

No, we're just not hearing a lot about it because the Ukrainians are doing a real good job with opsec. Of course they were not going to blitz it, they don't have the manpower, but everything we've heard is they are making slow and steady progress.

Good on them!

I wonder how many of the millions of shells and hundreds of tubes they are buying from NK are going to be operational, and how many are going to explode in the barrel when they attempt to fire them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

"Slow and steady" is what I hoped to convey with "glacial," though these last few decades have kind of worn off the implied inevitability that word used to have.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cimber posted:

Good on them!

I wonder how many of the millions of shells and hundreds of tubes they are buying from NK are going to be operational, and how many are going to explode in the barrel when they attempt to fire them.

For sure especially as there are many layers of NK management that likely never expected them to be fired and could list 100k shells on an inventory list and keep 5k, then sell the scrap metal across the Chinese border. Very little incentive in that system to have usable equipment and I'm guessing whistleblowers aren't well protected.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Madurai posted:

something is also happening near kharkiv that, for reasons beyond me, seems to be generating a lot of fresh new videos of russian armor blowing up. no idea what that means tho, probably smoking accidents again

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure especially as there are many layers of NK management that likely never expected them to be fired and could list 100k shells on an inventory list and keep 5k, then sell the scrap metal across the Chinese border. Very little incentive in that system to have usable equipment and I'm guessing whistleblowers aren't well protected.

Downside: North Korea still has "Blown from the cannon" as a method of execution.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Downside: North Korea still has "Blown from the cannon" as a method of execution.

Along with execution by flamethrower.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Along with execution by flamethrower.
And 120 starved dogs!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

idk maybe it has changed in the last 5 years or so, but NK has always estimated its likelihood of a confrontation with the US/SK to be much, much higher than the US or SK has ever interpreted it. You also don't spend 25% of your gdp on your military if you don't expect there to be a real chance that your military will be needed. You can buy a gently caress of a lot of cognac, swiss villas, and prostitute-filled palaces for that same investment.

I'm not saying they're getting great poo poo, just that it's premature to dismiss it all. At least for simple stuff NK doesn't seem to have big issues with manufacturing, particularly poo poo that they've been making for literally decades at this point. bigger question imo is what rockets/missiles they're providing to Russia. I think people are correct to read into it wrt what it says about Russia's available, easily accessible stocks and ability to replenish

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 6, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another point of consideration: when Kim is surrounded by his top generals, only Kim is fat.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Madurai posted:

"Slow and steady" is what I hoped to convey with "glacial," though these last few decades have kind of worn off the implied inevitability that word used to have.

Glacial as in sad remnants of the past rapidly melting away?? :ohdear:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1567080315272716289.html

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080323497738243
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080332473548802
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080337070559232
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080354330148865
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080369375088642
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567080371556163584
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567081588839649285
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567081599270883329
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1567081604895367168

Time for another depressing reminder that, just like Irish and Scottish figures in the British Empire, the people suffering discrimination at home tend to also end up being the foot soldiers of imperialism.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/04/us/politics/russia-missiles-ukraine.html

quote:

How Russia obtained these parts is unclear. Mr. Spleeters is asking the manufacturers of the semiconductors how their goods ended up in Russian weapons, whether through legitimate transactions or straw-man purchases set up to skirt the sanctions.

The investigators analyzed the remains of three types of Russian cruise missiles — including Moscow’s newest and most advanced model, the Kh-101 — and its newest guided rocket, the Tornado-S. All of them contained identical components marked SN-99 that on close inspection, the team said, proved to be satellite navigation receivers that are critical for the missiles’ operation.

Editors’ Picks

The Unusual Cool of Saabs

Christine Baranski Brings Throwback Flair to Her Ripped-From-the-Headlines Stardom

The Unexpected Power of Random Acts of Kindness
Mr. Spleeters said that Russia’s use of the same components pointed to bottlenecks in its supply chain and that restricting the supply of SN-99 components would slow Moscow’s ability to replenish its diminishing stockpile of guided weapons.

“If you want to have effective control and make sure that the Russians can’t get their hands on them, you need to know what the Russians need and what they use,” Mr. Spleeters said. “Then it’s important to know how they got it — what networks? What suppliers did they use?”

quote:

“A team of college electrical engineering majors could build this,” he said.

quote:

“This is late 1990s or a mid-2000s level of technology at best,” Arsenio Menendez, a NASA contractor who reverse-engineers guided weapon components as a hobby, said after examining photos of Russian military electronics taken by the researchers. “It’s basically the equivalent of an Xbox 360 video game console, and it looks like it’s open to anyone who wants to take it apart and build their own copy of it.”

One of the reasons why some militaries don't like using COTS too much or why sometimes acquisitions processes take forever. You really don't want to have certain parts of it be compromised or the details of the stuff being used be so widely available, I can't imagine the amount of scrutiny chips would undergo if we're making new variants of ordnance that requires it.

CabooseRvB fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 7, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That guy's hobby is way cooler than any of mine will ever be

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Xakura posted:

First thing I thought

One wonders if it makes more sense to drain stockpiles closer to the front and then use the North Korean purchases to refill those as they have such an immense trip to make.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah except their transportation is absolute garbage

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fearless posted:

One wonders if it makes more sense to drain stockpiles closer to the front and then use the North Korean purchases to refill those as they have such an immense trip to make.

I don't think there are many stockpiles left close to the front lines.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't think there are many stockpiles left close to the front lines.

I'm sure there are some closer than the North Korean border, at least.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fearless posted:

I'm sure there are some closer than the North Korean border, at least.

On paper, sure.

In the possession of other countries? Sure.

In the hands of those willing to sell them to the Russians? Ehhhhh.......

Maybe they have mass stockpiles hidden somewhere. But why would they pay North Korea for munitions if they did? Backfilling isn't a reasonable excuse if they're already on a boat or train to Crimea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there confirmation about the North Korea thing? I don't want to lol at a fake thing but Russia having to stoop to buying arms from loving North Korea is an incredible lol.

Though if there is one thing North Korea has in abundance it's outdated weapons.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I saw it on my google news feed earlier, nbc or cbs reporting, so it wasn't just a twitter post.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait I want to hear how Christine Baranski's throwback flair relates to arms embargoes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there confirmation about the North Korea thing? I don't want to lol at a fake thing but Russia having to stoop to buying arms from loving North Korea is an incredible lol.

Though if there is one thing North Korea has in abundance it's outdated weapons.

It was reported by US intelligence sources, so no independent confirmation. Purely a matter of how reliable you think US intelligence is.

Similar to the reports about Iranian drones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Actually, they'd be recent-build outdated weapons.

I think the bigger story is that I'd almost bet money that Russia went to China and India first and got "not only no, but *gently caress* no" in response. North Korea's no one's first choice.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Arsenio Menendez is a really cool name, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the bigger story is that I'd almost bet money that Russia went to China and India first and got "not only no, but *gently caress* no" in response. North Korea's no one's first choice.

Seems almost certain. North Korea's always looking for cash and at this point what do they have to lose, they haven't had contact with the outside world for like three years and got their 100% Sanctions cheevo ages ago.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It was reported by US intelligence sources, so no independent confirmation. Purely a matter of how reliable you think US intelligence is.

Similar to the reports about Iranian drones.

I mean, on matters relating to Russia, they've earned the benefit of the doubt by now, right?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

On paper, sure.

In the possession of other countries? Sure.

In the hands of those willing to sell them to the Russians? Ehhhhh.......

Maybe they have mass stockpiles hidden somewhere. But why would they pay North Korea for munitions if they did? Backfilling isn't a reasonable excuse if they're already on a boat or train to Crimea.

more of a balance sheet thing where long term you need more coming in than going out, or at least need enough coming in that you don't run out anytime before you can get more production spooled up

idk I doubt that their shell situation is that critical that they're on the verge of literally running out, but who knows. Their guided missile situation seems to be far worse than dumb shells.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Seems almost certain. North Korea's always looking for cash and at this point what do they have to lose, they haven't had contact with the outside world for like three years and got their 100% Sanctions cheevo ages ago.

If anyone has listened to any Darknet Diaries episode about state-sponsored hacking and how most of it leads back to North Korea, then they’d recognize that this is the closest thing that DPRK has come to participation in the “legitimate” global economy for a long time. Pretty much all they have is weapons trafficking, drugs trafficking and cyber crime at this point.

I also wonder if it’ll actually help the Russian war effort. It seems like DPRK understands that the US and ROK have mapped every inch of the Korean Peninsula for counterbattery fire, and that the survivability of their guns involves them being highly mobile and getting off the X before the retaliatory rounds arrive. I don’t know if Russia has internalized that and even if they have whether they can integrate that into how their troops are fighting this war.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If anyone has listened to any Darknet Diaries episode about state-sponsored hacking and how most of it leads back to North Korea, then they’d recognize that this is the closest thing that DPRK has come to participation in the “legitimate” global economy for a long time. Pretty much all they have is weapons trafficking, drugs trafficking and cyber crime at this point.

I also wonder if it’ll actually help the Russian war effort. It seems like DPRK understands that the US and ROK have mapped every inch of the Korean Peninsula for counterbattery fire, and that the survivability of their guns involves them being highly mobile and getting off the X before the retaliatory rounds arrive. I don’t know if Russia has internalized that and even if they have whether they can integrate that into how their troops are fighting this war.

I do not think the Russians could take much notes from the DPRK in terms of survivability. The Russian forces have the most tracked/armored vehicles in the world (of various quality) and their artillery systems are very capable of being mobile.

It's more of a matter of their commanders that are still alive realizing that they really need to relocate or hide at this point in the conflict which shouldn't really take an advisor from anywhere to tell them that. The moment they let off a barrage or a salvo onto a target, they have to run, or when they break tree cover.

Ukraine is likely being spoonfed loads of intel from NATO and they're making incredible use of it with their HIMARS and other donated artillery systems.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wonder how it'll affect things back on the Korean Peninsula if/when DPRK equipment turns out to be as dogshit as Russian equipment has.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

I wonder how it'll affect things back on the Korean Peninsula if/when DPRK equipment turns out to be as dogshit as Russian equipment has.

Nah, no one will care. No one actually wants to have to deal with the North Korean basket case, so they'd be left alone if even they were completely unarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://youtu.be/5_HupFPE3io

It’s rather long and I haven’t been able to watch all of it yet so I can’t comment on the content so I’m adding a tentative :nms:

it’s a complete GoPro of a guys mission in Ukraine

Also potential PTSD trigger.

lol cool patch that american's got there