Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my S3 is fine unless you run any non-native app on it, then it is a slow piece of poo poo. I lost a bunch of tracking on my last 3 snow trips because the UI for one of the apps just wouldnt accept input due to being slow. (the timer was still running but i couldnt swipe over to the stop run page). SE on clearance pricing got me to jump. if im unlucky it will arrive before they announce the new ones so i can return it and buy an S8/new SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My watch didn't trigger its alarm this morning. This was interesting. I should have been suspicious, because the watch face complication didn't say the time, but the sleep app on the watch said everything's fine. Even the bed time notification triggered properly the night before. I guess that's what running a beta gets you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

My watch didn't trigger its alarm this morning. This was interesting. I should have been suspicious, because the watch face complication didn't say the time, but the sleep app on the watch said everything's fine. Even the bed time notification triggered properly the night before. I guess that's what running a beta gets you.

Siri will suggest you disable the alarm on a holiday, maybe it was that?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Siri didn’t suggest it for me last night like she usually does the night before holidays and my alarm woke me up. Not cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No holidays this week were I live. Also Siri disabled.

--edit:
Come to think of it, when I skip a next day alarm manually, I still get the notification to go to bed and it leaves sleep mode automatically at the time of the alarm, it just doesn't sound the alarm itself. It's been doing that since ever I got an AW6. Not sure what was Apple's thought process here.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 5, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yikes, the Watch Pro’s apparently a bigboi.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/06/49mm-apple-watch-pro-size-compared-series-8/

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Neat, I’d hate to abandon my wristband collection tho :ohdear: oh well, it’s unlikely it has good battery life, besides don’t small wristbands work with the big watch as well save for not being the exact size?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If the Apple Watch pro doesn’t last at least five days on a charge it is absolutely a waste of money and impossibly big

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That’s about the same size as Garmin’s flagship watches, it’s not that big.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I will be buying a professional watch. I'll have to remain an amateur watcher

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I bought my first watch I got the 'big' one and hated it, have been rolling the 38mm/41mm since. 49mm is comically large to me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I will be buying a professional watch. I'll have to remain an amateur watcher

I just find the pro so fake.

Amateur is so much more realistic.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
That looks great. I've always thought the 44mm was a bit small on my beefy wrist. I've never really seen a reason to upgrade from my series 4 but maybe this will finally be the go-round that apple convinces me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

George Kansas posted:

That looks great. I've always thought the 44mm was a bit small on my beefy wrist. I've never really seen a reason to upgrade from my series 4 but maybe this will finally be the go-round that apple convinces me.

Let’s first see if the battery is any better and whether it justifies at all being 900 dollars

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If apple didn't manage to give a multi-day charge it's gonna flop hard. That's why the garmin ones do so well, they log all your poo poo for a week.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

If apple didn't manage to give a multi-day charge it's gonna flop hard. That's why the garmin ones do so well, they log all your poo poo for a week.

My baseline for even looking at this thing is five days, any less and this thing belongs in the trash for even thinking of charging above 500 dollars.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

My baseline for even looking at this thing is five days, any less and this thing belongs in the trash for even thinking of charging above 500 dollars.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

It will be way above $500 since there's already AWs that are at or near that price point already, with their "18 hour" battery. Not a chance we see anything under $9-1k, according to the rumors.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Al-Saqr posted:

Let’s first see if the battery is any better and whether it justifies at all being 900 dollars

lmao what?? 900?? yeah okay never mind

I was just coming at this from a "oh, big watch, that sounds nice" angle

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I expect the Pro to have a bumped up HR sampling rate during regular use, maybe even Fitbit style proper 24/7 monitoring, and this being trumped up as medical advantage for athletes to monitor their heart. And people dealing with AFib.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The stainless steel 45mm starts at $750 and the titanium 45mm starts at $850. The titanium 45mm with braided loop starts at $900.

I really don’t know what people are expecting or why people are shocked that the largest and presumably fanciest Watch with the Pro moniker is going to be the most expensive version.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Garmin Fenix starts at $700. Up to $1000 if you get all the bell and whistles. So $900 for an AW Sport sounds credible to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah but it’s not gonna last a week or whatever like a Garmin would.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m kind of interested to see if there are any deep discounts on the S7 in Canada once the 8 drops tomorrow. I’m having a hard time imagining what the 8 will do that the 7 doesn’t that will already seem like pointless magic to someone like me with a S4 which already meets all my daily needs but just has poo poo battery life after X years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You all know Apple has an ace up their sleeve of some really cool niche feature that no one is talking about that'll differentiate the pro and push non-athletes into the market for it, just like the iPhone pros for non-photographers like me that never touches 90% of the pro features.

It'll be something cool and insane like video FaceTime, or a decent camera so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, or something else really clever.

It'll have a 2-3 day battery and you'll like it because of the cool new feature.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I figure it will be very similar to the iPhone Pro Max, awesome but too big to actually tempt me to buy it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Watch Pro will require an iPhone Pro

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah but it’s not gonna last a week or whatever like a Garmin would.

The Fenix Solar lasts a month. The new Instinct Solar can last indefinitely provided enough sunlight. Even the non-Solar models are at least 2-3 weeks.

I think 3-5 days is a realistic target for Apple with all features enabled. A week+ in some sort of low power mode would be amazing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Watch Pro will require an iPhone Pro

The thought of somebody having a massive Apple Watch Pro/Sport and a tiny iPhone Mini is pretty funny to me. Plus the fact that the Apple Watch Pro/Sport might even cost more than a Mini.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

FCKGW posted:

The Fenix Solar lasts a month. The new Instinct Solar can last indefinitely provided enough sunlight. Even the non-Solar models are at least 2-3 weeks.

I think 3-5 days is a realistic target for Apple with all features enabled. A week+ in some sort of low power mode would be amazing.

It’ll need to last at least for an iron man or else it’s a joke. It’d also explain the focus on running & biking with the watchOS update, and from what I gather you have 17 hours to finish an iron man so 24 hours isn’t that far off and it gives them an easy advertising edge for the sports crowd this’ll obviously be targeted to like the pro Garmin watches.

I‘m obviously pulling this from my rear end but it’s what I believe. General usage is meaningless, it’ll have to last for long bouts of exercise as a first step.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoever told me to make a damage claim through my credit card, thank you! My Costco Citi card just paid the full brand new value out to me as statement credit. Awesome.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Whoever told me to make a damage claim through my credit card, thank you! My Costco Citi card just paid the full brand new value out to me as statement credit. Awesome.

NP!

It’s one of the many reasons you should ALWAYS buy expensive things on a credit card (that you pay off right away).

FYI the Apple Card does not offer this protection.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Two hours and we find out how insanely overpriced the Watch pro is

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Two hours and we find out how insanely overpriced the Watch pro is

Pisses me off that I’m 100% going to buy it regardless. I’m a loving fool.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Please don’t buy a possibly 900 dollar smartwatch if the battery is less than 5 days minimum, trust me it’s not worth it.

If the battery is a week long then OK I can see the extravagant purchase.

If there’s nothing all that cool or surprising or if the battery life is lower than 5 days I’m just gonna buy a regular series 8 for a third of the price.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah the battery needs serious power to even be considered.

There were leaked ads about it and the design, but it had Safari as an app on the Watch Pro, which seems super fake to me. Even the proposed two inch screen wouldn’t make that usable.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

FYI the Apple Card does not offer this protection.

This is a real kick in the pants.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would legit consider it if I didn’t have to watch the battery health go to 83% after two years

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Are you the one who has had horrible luck with your Apple Watch ? If so congrats, you def earned it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you the one who has had horrible luck with your Apple Watch ? If so congrats, you def earned it.

Haha yeah, but it was my kid's SE, so it was only like $230. My cellular S6 is still kicking at 79% battery health.

I really wish the S8 would have flat sides. I think it would look way better.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would legit consider it if I didn’t have to watch the battery health go to 83% after two years

This made me check and uh my series 5 is at 81%. gently caress.

OK maybe we wait this year and see what they’ve done with the battery