Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

LochNessMonster posted:

Either I’m missing a lot with regards to paganism, or this also an insane take. Even for the internet.

One of the origins of modern pagan movements lies in the romanticist and national liberation movements that developed in Europe during the 18th and 19th centuries.[90] The publications of studies into European folk customs and culture by scholars like Johann Gottfried Herder and Jacob Grimm resulted in a wider interest in these subjects and a growth in cultural self-consciousness.[90] At the time, it was commonly believed that almost all such folk customs were survivals from the pre-Christian period.[91] These attitudes would also be exported to North America by European immigrants in these centuries.[91]

The Romantic movement of the 18th century led to the re-discovery of Old Gaelic and Old Norse literature and poetry. The 19th century saw a surge of interest in Germanic paganism with the Viking revival in Victorian Britain[γ] and Scandinavia, and the Völkisch movement in Germany. These currents coincided with Romanticist interest in folklore and occultism, the widespread emergence of pagan themes in popular literature, and the rise of nationalism.[92]

The Völkisch movement was not a homogeneous set of beliefs, but rather a "variegated sub-culture" that rose in opposition to the socio-cultural changes of modernity.[4] The "only denominator common" to all Völkisch theorists was the idea of a national rebirth, inspired by the traditions of the Ancient Germans which had been "reconstructed" on a romantic basis by the adherents of the philosophy. This rebirth would have been achieved by either "Germanizing" Christianity – an Abrahamic and "Semitic" religion that spread into Europe from the Near East – or by rejecting any Christian heritage that existed in Germany in order to revive pre-Christian Germanic paganism.[5] In a narrow definition, the term is used to designate only groups that consider human beings essentially preformed by blood, or by inherited characteristics.[6]

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Feels like we have this "nazi" discussion every couple of weeks. Yes some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses, this isn't like a huge revelation, and those types of people would be among the first to get riled up and sign up to fight the long-time frienemy. There's also not much to do with this other than to make sure we don't let those people into power when the war is over. In the I/P thread we had a related discussion, and apparently a defensible is that it's good to support any enemy of Israel even if they e.g. literally execute gay people and sponsor murderous militias all over the place. But a guy with a patch is definitely concerning.

Good post, imo.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Seems some of the SOBR didn't have a good time

Those are Lieutnant Colonel insignia? Is that comparable to a military Lt. Col. or is there just massive rank inflation in SOBR? (Which is common in police ranks.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is an insane take. Even for the Internet.

They’re obviously doing a bit.

FishBulbia posted:

"Paganism" as practiced by modern Europeans was invented in the 19th century by people who thought Christianity was too polluted by Jews.

LochNessMonster posted:

Either I’m missing a lot with regards to paganism, or this also an insane take. Even for the internet.

We’re not having this conversation in this thread.

Edit:

Tuna-Fish posted:

Those are Lieutnant Colonel insignia? Is that comparable to a military Lt. Col. or is there just massive rank inflation in SOBR? (Which is common in police ranks.)

The second tweet got deleted, but the Rosgvardiya ID in the first is for a captain.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 7, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There was a guy with two stars on his shoulderboards taken prisoner.
Also captured:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TarasBerezovets/status/1567471567038304256

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The second tweet got deleted, but the Rosgvardiya ID in the first is for a captain.

I mean in the video, the second guy has the very fat stars on his shoulders, if he was regular Russian Army that would make him a Lt.Col. But that might just be that Rosvgardia uses weird symbols/inflated ranks, I'm having a hard time finding reasonable non-parade comparison photos.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They’re obviously doing a bit.

Thank you, correct, thought it was obvious but hey .

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't trying to rip on poor beleagured unfortunates in a war zone, just to parody the stupidity of comfortable Westerners making armchair Nazi or Not determinations from blurry contextless screencaps of battle footage

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thank you, correct, thought it was obvious but hey .

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't trying to rip on poor beleagured unfortunates in a war zone, just to parody the stupidity of comfortable Westerners making armchair Nazi or Not determinations from blurry contextless screencaps of battle footage

I enjoyed the implication that they were using blue armbands because yellow was too closely associated with the police

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chalks posted:

I enjoyed the implication that they were using blue armbands because yellow was too closely associated with the police

So police traitors were pretty key to Russia's actions in 2014. Given the racist view towards Ukrainian identity by Russians that underlies this whole mess and cops being cops that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
If Ukranians are sporting high visibility gear with big broad swaths of color, it suggests they've determined there's much more to be gained from immediate identifiability than concealment, which itself suggests they have a dominant edge in battlefield imaging and surveillance

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

I mean in the video, the second guy has the very fat stars on his shoulders, if he was regular Russian Army that would make him a Lt.Col. But that might just be that Rosvgardia uses weird symbols/inflated ranks, I'm having a hard time finding reasonable non-parade comparison photos.

It's an established practice for SOBR to designate every troop with a special status of “investigator” (“оперуполномоченный”), which entitles them to perform a range of law enforcement activities. In Russian law enforcement, people with this or other special statuses are awarded a special service rank so that they have the necessary legal privilege for carrying out their duties. In the case of SOBR this means that every troop is a mid-senior officer, starting with junior lieutenant for a rifleman, and ending with colonel for the head of department or region. The man on the video with 2 stars on the shoulder is a lieutenant colonel indeed, which puts them somewhere between a squad commander and an XO.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 7, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Stupid question maybe, but do these special ranks grant any status, entitlements or authority outside of the legal privileges they are intended to make sure the troops have?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's how they lure you into their twisted ideology

Free candy for boomers

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kavros posted:

If Ukranians are sporting high visibility gear with big broad swaths of color, it suggests they've determined there's much more to be gained from immediate identifiability than concealment, which itself suggests they have a dominant edge in battlefield imaging and surveillance

Or just that they are on the offensive in that area. Attackers experience more fluid situations and need to identify people with guns more quickly because there are a lot of friendlies moving around you and hopefully fewer enemies. The same reason why hunters wear hi-viz: a duck or a moose is unlikely to shoot you even if it notices you, but another hunter might if he doesn't identify you.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1567483459215441920

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Stupid question maybe, but do these special ranks grant any status, entitlements or authority outside of the legal privileges they are intended to make sure the troops have?

Not that I know of, it's mostly a pay grade thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not that I know of, it's mostly a pay grade thing.

I read that first as a gay parade thing, and was momentarily VERY confused...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted:

I read that first as a gay parade thing, and was momentarily VERY confused...

When life gives you melons, you may want to get checked for dyslexia.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

The Völkisch movement was not a homogeneous set of beliefs, but rather a "variegated sub-culture" that rose in opposition to the socio-cultural changes of modernity.[4] The "only denominator common" to all Völkisch theorists was the idea of a national rebirth, inspired by the traditions of the Ancient Germans which had been "reconstructed" on a romantic basis by the adherents of the philosophy. This rebirth would have been achieved by either "Germanizing" Christianity – an Abrahamic and "Semitic" religion that spread into Europe from the Near East – or by rejecting any Christian heritage that existed in Germany in order to revive pre-Christian Germanic paganism.[5] In a narrow definition, the term is used to designate only groups that consider human beings essentially preformed by blood, or by inherited characteristics.[6]

Depending on context and time frame discussed semitic peoples are/were not defined as just jews but also includes arabs, ethiopians and aramics/anyone speaking those related languages, or catch all term for middle easterners. So the movements being described anti semitic during some periods and contracts is not necessarily anti jewish bigotry but a general anti-"middle eastern" bigotry that belittled the merits of a middle eastern religion in favor of the long dead domestic pagan religion(s).

It probably involved a hefty dose of specific anti jewish bigotry too though, because that stuff has been rooted deep in Europe since roman times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

e: I misread the post

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 7, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unrolled: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1567483459215441920.html

If you click through to the thread, the guy is saying that Ukraine needs more capability to strike within russia, because otherwise to the regime it might as well be a war somewhere in the middle east, and they could keep sending minorities to die for years on. I don't know how his suggestion to make domestic long-range weapons is feasible in the short-ish term, because that's not something you can just develop in a few months or maybe even years. That said, I do think increasing the cost of the war dramatically is necessary, for example by sinking all the navy, blowing up the ports, expensive planes, etc. But I do hope the gear to do this comes soon under lend-lease or whatever sooner rather than later, and we don't have to spend years grinding this out at extreme cost.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's an established practice for SOBR to designate every troop with a special status of “investigator” (“оперуполномоченный”), which entitles them to perform a range of law enforcement activities. In Russian law enforcement, people with this or other special statuses are awarded a special service rank so that they have the necessary legal privilege for carrying out their duties. In the case of SOBR this means that every troop is a mid-senior officer, starting with junior lieutenant for a rifleman, and ending with colonel for the head of department or region. The man on the video with 2 stars on the shoulder is a lieutenant colonel indeed, which puts them somewhere between a squad commander and an XO.

Yeah, that's about what I expected.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukraine was supposedly close to having those sorts of things (and remember, a lot of Soviet ICBMs were made in Dnipro), but close can be forever away in military procurement, and I am sure some of this stuff got blown up. Any sort of domestic industry is obviously depend on NASAMS and IRIS working well enough to protect it from missiles.

I imagine the reason this particular item is on top of agenda is Biden disliking the idea of US weapons striking Russia (never mind how much suffering of Kharkiv would be saved by blowing a few military things up in Belgorod area), and, well, where else could it come from?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

So was there an announcement last night? I haven't seen anything since the pre-announcement.

Zelensky made a speech about the report on the nuclear plant inspection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62DdwkX_i8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine was supposedly close to having those sorts of things (and remember, a lot of Soviet ICBMs were made in Dnipro), but close can be forever away in military procurement, and I am sure some of this stuff got blown up. Any sort of domestic industry is obviously depend on NASAMS and IRIS working well enough to protect it from missiles.

I imagine the reason this particular item is on top of agenda is Biden disliking the idea of US weapons striking Russia (never mind how much suffering of Kharkiv would be saved by blowing a few military things up in Belgorod area), and, well, where else could it come from?

To be fair, the way things seem to be going right now, Ukrainian troops could probably just walk to Belgorod faster then it would take to procure new long-range weapons, isn't Belgorod something like 50km from the border to the Kharkiv-Oblast? Seems well into range of the new offensive the way Russia is defending the front right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

To be fair, the way things seem to be going right now, Ukrainian troops could probably just walk to Belgorod faster then it would take to procure new long-range weapons, isn't Belgorod something like 50km from the border to the Kharkiv-Oblast? Seems well into range of the new offensive the way Russia is defending the front right now.
Yeah it's very close, they probably could walk over there. But sending in ground forces is a completely different :can: than shooting a few missiles at an ammo dump

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Good Lord! That's 80% of America's KIA in Vietnam in six months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SvenSalumets/status/1567446119596040192

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's a very high chance that it's fake.

E: Also, not sure why this person on twitter had to calculate anything, when the document says explicitly that 48 759 soldiers died in Ukraine. It's an extremely high number, considering LDNR 'volunteers' and MIF personnel wouldn't be counted here.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 7, 2022

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Charlz Guybon posted:

Has anyone managed to confirm this? Seen too many faked documents to allow myself to believe wholeheartedly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There was apparently one cross-border infantry raid by Ukraine near Sumy that went all of 1.5km deep in a middle-of-nowhere area, but that's totally different scale.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Taking the war into russian territory will have to be discussed with the EU & USA before anything goes forward, recapturing your homeland is one thing... invasion is another. :decorum:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Has anyone managed to confirm this? Seen too many faked documents to allow myself to believe wholeheartedly.

Even if it was real, we must assume that anything between 10-50% of the funds went to the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Just Another Lurker posted:

Taking the war into russian territory will have to be discussed with the EU & USA before anything goes forward, recapturing your homeland is one thing... invasion is another. :decorum:

"will have to" is doing a lot of work here, it's not like the allies in WWII stopped at the Rhine and patiently waited for Hitler to commit suicide

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

"will have to" is doing a lot of work here, it's not like the allies in WWII stopped at the Rhine and patiently waited for Hitler to commit suicide

Calm down with cross-border invasions chat.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Based on corruption so far, that means ten KIA and 48828 who never existed but got a death payment...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/vorobyov/status/1567488126741798913

What makes him think any nuclear conflict between major powers would be "limited"?

I read the article, and he's suggesting that any signs of possible steps towards tactual nukes should be stopped with "the entire aresenal of means at the disposal of countries of the world", which would definitely result in Russia escalating then

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 7, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Even if it was real, we must assume that anything between 10-50% of the funds went to the pockets of corrupt bureaucrats.

"Dead souls" isn't just what passes across the river Acheron.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChrisDYork/status/1567529709348478980?s=20&t=h2fN68MbtcC05iPyoD0uUQ

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1567515721499873280?s=20&t=h2fN68MbtcC05iPyoD0uUQ

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I remain extremely impressed with how tight the Ukranian opsec is, even among civilians stuck on the front. It seems like the only reason we have any idea what's happening at all is because of Russian troops calling home to say they're being blown up. Just thinking about the idea of trying to co-ordinate something like that, let alone actually pulling it off, is enough to give me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Just Another Lurker posted:

To be fair I have trouble imagining any situation where Ukraine manages to push back to pre-2014 borders but Russia keeps fighting. Though I suppose this whole invasion is proving just how irrational Russia can be when it comes to belligerence.