Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheKennedys posted:

Tore through some Edgar Wright yesterday with my best friend because he'd never seen any of his work except Scott Pilgrim; after watching Hot Fuzz and World's End again (wasn't in the mood for zombies) I'm standing by my opinion that Wright is the guy I'm forever going to reference when I talk about setup and payoff in film. Every example has been in this thread before but the tiny details and the stylization and the over the top effects and dozens of little callbacks wrapping everything up neatly and being supremely relevant to the way things end up is just :discourse:

Does he do the 'explaining the entire movie in the beginning' thing in every one of his films? I know it happens in World's End, and it's been too long, but I think it also happens in Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

This sounds like a complaint but it's not; he usually does it so well that I don't notice at the time, and only see it on a rewatch or when someone points it out to me. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does he do the 'explaining the entire movie in the beginning' thing in every one of his films? I know it happens in World's End, and it's been too long, but I think it also happens in Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

This sounds like a complaint but it's not; he usually does it so well that I don't notice at the time, and only see it on a rewatch or when someone points it out to me. I love it.

He definitely does it in Shaun, they follow his plan for getting Liz back. I don't think he does it in Hot Fuzz though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

AFewBricksShy posted:

He definitely does it in Shaun, they follow his plan for getting Liz back. I don't think he does it in Hot Fuzz though.

Timothy Dalton goes “Lock me up… I’m a slasher and must be stopped,” the first time he meets Simon Pegg (then he clarifies he is a slasher "of prices"). Not as involved as Shaun, but still.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hot Fuzz I remember does do the thing where the second half of the movie is going to the same places as the first half in reverse.

There might be a few fudges there, but I believe it broadly holds.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I absolutely love Shaun of the Dead and World's End, but for some reason I just don't quite get(?) Hot Fuzz. Like I know what it's an homage to and I like the performances, it just doesn't come together for me the way the other two do. And I've tried three times now, I feel bad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That Italian Guy posted:

Timothy Dalton goes “Lock me up… I’m a slasher and must be stopped,” the first time he meets Simon Pegg (then he clarifies he is a slasher "of prices"). Not as involved as Shaun, but still.

Catch me later!

Cleretic posted:

Hot Fuzz I remember does do the thing where the second half of the movie is going to the same places as the first half in reverse.

There might be a few fudges there, but I believe it broadly holds.

Yeah, I think in particular his way into town hits the landmarks we'll see later.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't miss out on Last Night In Soho y'all. Wright is only getting better.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I absolutely love Shaun of the Dead and World's End, but for some reason I just don't quite get(?) Hot Fuzz. Like I know what it's an homage to and I like the performances, it just doesn't come together for me the way the other two do. And I've tried three times now, I feel bad.
The action in the finale is dire and for some reason the guy who loves to pepper his work with obscure references nobody gets felt he couldn't reference Point Break without first having a character describe the reference out loud and then literally watch the scene in question.

It's still a decent film but it's nowhere near as good as the other two in the trilogy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I find World’s End incredibly boring.

If I was a sad old white guy who sabotaged his life it might land better I guess. I’m not the target audience.

I’m not really the target of the others either but they have more going for them.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Aphrodite posted:

If I was a sad old white guy who sabotaged his life it might land better I guess.

nah i didn't like it either

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Baby Driver is great if you can get around Kevin Spacey being in it. Awesome soundrack, good story and acting and the sound direction is phenomenal. Just from the opening minute it just goes and I love how they incorporate the music into every bit of the movie.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I got to go to the London premiere of Baby Driver. It was grand, and felt kinda like watching a videogame, complete with a "boss battle" in the parking lot in the end. Plus Danny Devito was there, and even just being in the same room as him loving rules on a quite fundamental level.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m Top Gun: Maverick: Thom Cruize is chastised for frequently breaking the rules and not following orders over the course of his career in the Army Air Corps. This is a clever nod to his real world inspiration, Tom Cruise, not being able to read. How can you follow orders if you don’t know what they are?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

peer posted:

nah i didn't like it either

Yeah, it's the weakest of the three for sure. I think that's because both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were more clear about what they were trying to do, which was take an existing genre and add additional complexity by throwing their own sentiments and settings.

Wright's ability to visualize story is in The World's End, but the story is not as tight as it could've been. I still liked it, but it was unfocused because I think it was a slightly more original story than the other two.

Cleretic posted:

"There's Sergeant Angel. Look at his arse!" and then "There's Sergeant Angel. Look at his horse!" said almost the exact same way because of the accent is such a great bit of detail.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Baby Driver is great if you can get around Kevin Spacey being in it.

And now Ansel Elgort.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't miss out on Last Night In Soho y'all. Wright is only getting better.

I had almost no interest in that movie until this moment. I'll absolutely check it out now that I know it's Wright.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And now Ansel Elgort.

Aw wait what? I like him, what did he do?

e: nm found it, jesus christ.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Sep 7, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Traffic Collision" is such a well layered joke.

The setup of "official vocab guidelines", is also character establishment for Angel
The payoff "because 'accident' implies there's no one to blame" is a cool action one-liner
The callback, when Danny says his mother died in a "traffic collision" is a bonding moment between the two that shows Danny's growth as a real policeman officer.
It was also foreshadowing - Irene Butterman's death was not an accident

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Baby Driver is great if you can get around Kevin Spacey being in it. Awesome soundrack, good story and acting and the sound direction is phenomenal. Just from the opening minute it just goes and I love how they incorporate the music into every bit of the movie.
My hearing is not as good as it used to be, so I completely missed it, but in every scene where Baby doesn't wear his earplugs or has music in the background, you can hear the ringing noise representing his tinnitus. It gives the whole movie an extra layer that I had, ironically, completely missed because of my hearing deficit :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9EFmF7gHg

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

AFewBricksShy posted:

Near the beginning someone talks about "everybody and their mums" having guns out in the country (as opposed to the city).
"Like who?" asks Nick.
"Farmers", says the other guy.
"Who else?"
"Farmer's mums."

Sure enough, in the showdown, and old lady farmer unexpectedly pulls a shotgun on him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/5Uahv8h.mp4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

My hearing is not as good as it used to be, so I completely missed it, but in every scene where Baby doesn't wear his earplugs or has music in the background, you can hear the ringing noise representing his tinnitus. It gives the whole movie an extra layer that I had, ironically, completely missed because of my hearing deficit :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9EFmF7gHg

It also drops the corresponding channel when he pulls his headphones out. Like when he’s talking to Jon Hamm and Brighton Rock is playing, it’s only coming out of the right channel (or left, whichever he has his headphone in)

e: I love in the gun fight in the warehouse when the gun fire matches up with the music too.

Or in the beginning where you can see most of the lyrics to the song in the background as he’s walking to get coffee

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Sep 7, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, it's the weakest of the three for sure. I think that's because both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were more clear about what they were trying to do, which was take an existing genre and add additional complexity by throwing their own sentiments and settings.

Wright's ability to visualize story is in The World's End, but the story is not as tight as it could've been. I still liked it, but it was unfocused because I think it was a slightly more original story than the other two.

"Middle aged friends reunite for an adventure and find out the cool one who never grew up isn't doing too well" is definitely a genre. The gag here was that everyone already knew that, but didn't know how bad it was. It did a good job of predicting how Brexit would go too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Frankly I feel World's End just lacks an emotional center, and the ending is nonsensical.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

It also drops the corresponding channel when he pulls his headphones out. Like when he’s talking to Jon Hamm and Brighton Rock is playing, it’s only coming out of the right channel (or left, whichever he has his headphone in)

e: I love in the gun fight in the warehouse when the gun fire matches up with the music too.

Or in the beginning where you can see most of the lyrics to the song in the background as he’s walking to get coffee

And the gun fight near the end with the cops set to hocus pocus by focus, where lots of shots and reloads are specifically timed with the song

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I also feel that World’s End is the weakest of the three

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo.

I mean, I remember realizing the stampede was a call back, but Earl in the bag, crawling and then falling off the truck is just :kiss:

gently caress, I love that movie. I'm a victim of circumstance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The sequel is pretty fun too. They didn't need the new sidekick character for Earl at all tho.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know Simon Pegg is not Nicholas Angel but every time I see him in a movie and he’s not Nicholas angel I’m always slightly disappointed

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the World's End works a bit better if you know Doctor Who. The specific type of sci-fi that it's riffing on isn't really a popular modern-day thing on the level of zombie or cop movies, except for the part where Doctor Who still does it regularly.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

MariusLecter posted:

The sequel is pretty fun too. They didn't need the new sidekick character for Earl at all tho.

I re-watched 1 & 2 back to back recently and couldn't finish the second one. Also, in the second movie, the truck getting snagged by the graboid and then NOT breaking an axle when he guns the engine to get loose is a travesty.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

freeedr posted:

been saying this

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's still like naming the worst Beatle though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just watched Jurassic Park for the tenth time or so, and just realized something. When Dennis Nedry falls down the kill with the Jeep winch, and meets the Dilophosaurus, he puts his rain jacket hood up right in front of the dinosaur.The way the hood is splayed looks like Nedry is flaring his own peacock feathers. This is seen as an act of aggression by the dinosaur, who flares his back.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen that and not picked up on it.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BigHead posted:

I just watched Jurassic Park for the tenth time or so, and just realized something. When Dennis Nedry falls down the kill with the Jeep winch, and meets the Dilophosaurus, he puts his rain jacket hood up right in front of the dinosaur.The way the hood is splayed looks like Nedry is flaring his own peacock feathers. This is seen as an act of aggression by the dinosaur, who flares his back.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen that and not picked up on it.

Oh gently caress you

I just rewatched the scene and I have to disagree. There's a significant length of time between Nedry putting his hood up and the Dilo flaring. Nedry's hood actually falls back down by the time the Dilo flares and spits at him. I don't think there's a cause/effect thing there.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Sep 8, 2022

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

freeedr posted:

I've tried to watch it twice now and gave up 20 minutes in because it feels like a distillation of all the jokes in Hot Fuzz and SotD. Which seems great on the surface but makes the movie seem hollow and without a point.

It feels too sterile and polished for a movie about a pub crawl. And yes I know the general plot I watched the trailer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beastie posted:

I've tried to watch it twice now and gave up 20 minutes in because it feels like a distillation of all the jokes in Hot Fuzz and SotD. Which seems great on the surface but makes the movie seem hollow and without a point.

It feels too sterile and polished for a movie about a pub crawl. And yes I know the general plot I watched the trailer.

I watched the movie in theaters on a lark, no knowing it was Edgar Wright or anything about the plot.
It was such a fun surprise but it's still the weakest of the three.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cat Hatter posted:

"Middle aged friends reunite for an adventure and find out the cool one who never grew up isn't doing too well" is definitely a genre. The gag here was that everyone already knew that, but didn't know how bad it was. It did a good job of predicting how Brexit would go too.

It definitely is, but it also has way less tropes and mainstays of the genre that it's very flexible in what it can do.

Scaramouche posted:

Frankly I feel World's End just lacks an emotional center, and the ending is nonsensical.

I'll agree with the emotional centre part, but I'm not sure I agree with the ending part. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen it.

I did love seeing Pierce Brosnan. There's something about seeing him in movies in the last decade or so that puts a smile on my face.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oh gently caress you

I just rewatched the scene and I have to disagree. There's a significant length of time between Nedry putting his hood up and the Dilo flaring. Nedry's hood actually falls back down by the time the Dilo flares and spits at him. I don't think there's a cause/effect thing there.

So my personal theory of it is that Nedry's hood going up makes him a threat and it goes down a bit later after the dinosaurs are watching him, so it makes it look like he's trying to retreat/feels weaker than them.

Like if you're trying to scare a mountain lion so you puff up real big but then you shrank down and made yourself small, you're sending a message that you are terrified prey.

But young Captain Monkey spent too much time thinking about Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Nedry is an anagram of Nerdy.