Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Real hurthling! posted:

the 95?

get the gently caress out of here california drivers

exactly, gently caress off, it is disrespectful to the east coast to call it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

issac asimovs "i, 95"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Looks like a 1-in-100 year event. Should be good for a while then.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

it’s an island they often flood

that's what i was thinking it's in the name ffs

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

SirPablo posted:

There could be a 120F but unlikely to be Redding.]

We "Unofficially" hit 120!

Apparently the only "official" temperature is at the airport which is always a little cooler. It hit 115 which beat the hottest day ever record by 2°

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

We "Unofficially" hit 120!

Apparently the only "official" temperature is at the airport which is always a little cooler. It hit 115 which beat the hottest day ever record by 2°

usually unofficial thermometers are not as well shaded as the official ones. improper shading may be why there’s some silly early 20th century records that are only now being approached.

as an example, on death valley’s Wikipedia page:

quote:

The hottest air temperature ever recorded in Death Valley was 134 °F (56.7 °C), on July 10, 1913, at Greenland Ranch (now Furnace Creek), which, as of 2022, is the highest atmospheric temperature ever recorded on the Earth's surface. (A report of a temperature of 58 °C (136 °F) in Libya in 1922 was later determined to be inaccurate.) During the heat wave that peaked with that record, five consecutive days reached 129 °F (54 °C) or higher. Some modern meteorologists now dispute the accuracy of the 1913 temperature measurement. On June 30, 2013, a verified temperature of 129.2 °F (54.0 °C) was recorded and is tied with Mitribah, Kuwait, for the hottest reliably measured air temperature ever recorded on earth. A temperature of 130 °F (54.4 °C) was recorded at the Furnace Creek weather station on August 16, 2020, but has not yet been officially verified. The valley again recorded that temperature on July 9, 2021.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Libyan scientist who investigated the record there almost gave his life for the cause.

quote:

In February of 2011, all communication with El Fadli ceased, as Libya was consumed by violence. When Col. Gaddafi gave a speech specifically mentioning traitors giving climate info to NATO forces, Burt and the other collaborators had a terrible certainty that El Fadli was dead.

I want the 1913 Death Valley record to be legitimate, but it’s hella sus.

Archive.org link because the images are otherwise broken

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Sep 7, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1567401529501433856
I just cannot comprehend a flood that takes 3 months to recede. That is so much water

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
sure tens of millions of people have lost their homes and a third of the nation is flooded, possibly for months, but won't someone please think of the economy

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
most economic activity takes place indoors where there is no water

flooding should have no effect on the economy

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i think they should sell the water

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply raise the town.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stereotype posted:

sure tens of millions of people have lost their homes and a third of the nation is flooded, possibly for months, but won't someone please think of the economy

I mean, the headline is badly phrased, but between this, the U/R war, the American Midwest producing like poo poo, and now China's heatwave, it feels like we're starting to look at some big time famines.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if The Big One hit california and thirty million people died in the epic action packed disaster we would be talking about how it means avocados prices were gonna go up within like, an hour

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No plants want to photosynthesize anymore!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I just cannot comprehend a flood that takes 3 months to recede. That is so much water
idgi, can't we build a pipeline to arizona?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Stereotype posted:

"The economy" here is being used with its actual meaning and not the make number go up sense. There is no problem worth mentioning next to "we just lost all our food"

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

lol wtf

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

if The Big One hit california and thirty million people died in the epic action packed disaster we would be talking about how it means avocados prices were gonna go up within like, an hour

that would really suck. I love avocado

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the flood posted:

I would simply raze the town.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
imagine being the one guy

https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1567358819310903296?s=20&t=Sfu6RcsX_11im6Wx_YME8Q

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I’m not entirely sure how the nation of Pakistan recovers from this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pakistan is going to have to ration water. You know why? Because they send millions of gallons of water out to sea, out to the Indian, because they want to take care of certain little tiny fish that aren't doing very well without water.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

I’m not entirely sure how the nation of Pakistan recovers from this

The US has had extensive flooding several times in the Mississippi, Ohio, and Red River valleys and those areas eventually recovered (some even to flood again!). Just look at a satellite image of Pakistan, looks like 1/3 of the country is a flood plain so this can't be shocking that there was flooding in a flood plain. Recovery isn't going to happen overnight, or without massive loss of life, but the land will become fertile farming again.

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/california-usa/pakistan

Size comparison, Pakistan is about double California - guess they got the Ark Storm.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

At what point do they stop calling it a flood and start calling it a lake?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

NeonPunk posted:

Probably at least after they have reason to believe the water isn't actually going to recede. Although I imagine a lot of the people effected byt it would keep calling it a flood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

At some point we stop describing a town as “flooded” and begin referring to the area as “lake”.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Given the prevailing religious traditions over there, I think it has to last at least 40 days and 40 nights.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Arnoldishly “Get to tha Ark!”

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

laked, and it rhymes with naked

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Climate change took a bight out of my country!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Welp that sure is terrible.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I wanted more details so I clicked the article and the guy saying three months is just some farmer guy’s dad so it might not be based on the most solid analysis. Still super hosed though!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How long did it take for waters to recede/get pumped out after Katrina?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Gripweed posted:

Probably at least after they have reason to believe the water isn't actually going to recede. Although I imagine a lot of the people effected byt it would keep calling it a flood.

There are lots of places called lakes that don't have water in them until they do. Maybe Pakistan should have been called a lake all along

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://youtu.be/FRs4kIthJ9k

Hold on to your butts

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

but i thought there was just a tweet about record mass gain on greenland

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

but i thought there was just a tweet about record mass gain on greenland

Look, number go up, other number also go up

That's just science

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How long did it take for waters to recede/get pumped out after Katrina?

And Katrina's a gentle mist compared to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Dog Case posted:

There are lots of places called lakes that don't have water in them until they do. Maybe Pakistan should have been called a lake all along

actually those are called detention ponds!