Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Actually Anger Shell is just another version of fellow rock type Minior's signature ability. Though maybe it's possible to proc anger shell multiple times like Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like the crab and the megamen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gamefreak's dirty little secret is theyre better at designing human characters than pokemon now

except leon he was stupid as hell

looks like a real game!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Penny is the only one of the main NPCs that wasn't mentioned to be part of a path, and the Team Star path suspiciously doesn't have one associated with it. Hmmmmm

Procrastine posted:

Geeta runs the Pokemon League and is the strongest of the region's Champions? So there are multiple Champions but also one of them is still the best Champion?

Yes, the goal is to become a "Champion-ranked trainer" and not THE Champion. Presumably once you do that you then go around and fight the other Champion-ranks

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I imagine that the knights were designed by Hitoshi Ariga, who has worked on the Mega Man series before.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The true issue of the knights is that they overlap with Fuecoco, the best starter.

And also that Physical Fire/Ghost gives a very bad omen about how gold Coldedge will be.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xander B Coolridge posted:

They share more in common with WarGreymon than Hitmonlee

Which is to say they look fuckin' rad.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BlackBoxInc/status/1567513765817597954

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I knew they were gonna do this to me again! First they put the good mega mewtwo in the wrong game. Now this. Hopefully they aren't locked to evolution items being version exclusive or anything.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

Penny is the only one of the main NPCs that wasn't mentioned to be part of a path, and the Team Star path suspiciously doesn't have one associated with it. Hmmmmm

Guessing she's related to Mela; Pokemon's been doing a lot of sibling dynamics lately (Lillie and Gladion, Hop and Leon, Piers and Mary...)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's to hoping that the main gameplay is like PLA

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Prepare to be disappointed

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

They've confirmed you battle Pokemon to catch them, and PLA's dynamic action order system isn't really something that can be adapted well to multiplayer, especially doubles. It's unlikely they'd want to change how competitive Pokemon battles work entirely, and the trailer we saw at Worlds is all stuff that makes sense in terms of Pokemon as we know it. The big thing that looks to be carried over from PLA (which was developed alongside S/V rather than before it, IIIRC) is the world traversal, since the various modes for riding the box legendaries line up 1:1 with PLA's rideable Pokemon.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just want to know if we can mix and match the uniforms at all...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So does this trailer mean the Gym Leaders could basically cheat almost anything on their teams while still technically sticking to their types? That or they could swap their ace to a type that can beat their counters?

That would be a way to spice the tired old system up.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Hunter Noventa posted:

same. most important question tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ceruledge is dope, fighting a trainer on their max max car is also dope, startin to feel the hype

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Geostomp posted:

So does this trailer mean the Gym Leaders could basically cheat almost anything on their teams while still technically sticking to their types? That or they could swap their ace to a type that can beat their counters?

That would be a way to spice the tired old system up.

Sorta, but Tera is a 1-per-battle thing like previous gimmicks

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
ceruledge is cool and good and it may just be what gets me to grab violet instead of scarlet

(i also might just get both, oh no)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

gamefreak's dirty little secret is theyre better at designing human characters than pokemon now

Counterpoint:

What the gently caress is going on with those boots. :psyduck:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Auto battling could be cool. I liked just throwing my pokemon out to get items as I ran past in Arceus, and if this has a similar feel that'd be cool.

Also turning wild pokemon battles into brief auto battles seems like a good way to actually get me to engage with trash encounters rather than just running from all of them which is what I have done for twenty years of random wild pokemon battles. Depends on how smooth the whole system is. I'm still a bit worried because, thanks to the mandatory exp share, exp is the enemy. If I don't want to over-level and destroy everything I have to manage that poo poo.

Liking the new character designs!

Hunter Noventa posted:

You cannot. The official site is explicit that there are four uniforms. Based on players we've seen in trailers their primary color is locked to Scarlet and Violet. Easily the worst thing we've heard about these games. I'm pretty hype for everything else but this one point is a huge downer for me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I suspect the Megamans are going to be some sort of version-exclusive evolution, like you can catch a little mono-fire boy and then a Hero's Armor if you have Scarlet or an Edgy Armor if you have Violet to evolve it with. Kind of like how everyone has a bike lizard but yours is going to turn into one of the Ride-Ons for special protagonist reasons.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RatHat posted:

Sorta, but Tera is a 1-per-battle thing like previous gimmicks

Sure, but that still means at least one big surprise is possible for a Gym Leader's ace. Like that Sudowoodo being on the Grass leader's team.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Avalerion posted:

Counterpoint:

"Counterpoint"?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Counterpoint:

fashion

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Caphi posted:

I suspect the Megamans are going to be some sort of version-exclusive evolution, like you can catch a little mono-fire boy and then a Hero's Armor if you have Scarlet or an Edgy Armor if you have Violet to evolve it with. Kind of like how everyone has a bike lizard but yours is going to turn into one of the Ride-Ons for special protagonist reasons.

Yeah that's what I think as well.

Unlike my friend who thinks they're a Pawniard/Bisharp regional evo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Avalerion posted:

Counterpoint:

Intimidation tactics

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagine how squeaky those boots must be

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The boots are filled with baked beans

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah that's what I think as well.

Unlike my friend who thinks they're a Pawniard/Bisharp regional evo.

The little mono-fire boy could always be a Pawniard. Regional evolution branches have gone pretty wild already.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Caphi posted:

The little mono-fire boy could always be a Pawniard. Regional evolution branches have gone pretty wild already.

Eh, it looks a lot different even for regional forms.

Also another point is that cross regional evos generaly (except for Froslass) follow the reference of the original line (Scizor/Kleavor, Stantler/Wyrdeer) or directly follow the name (Zigzagoon/Linoone/Obstagoon).

Our new two NetNavis don't beyond Sharp/Edge and have no chess motifs. I could be wrong but it smells like a Tyrogue situation to me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The leaks explained the situation with the new warrior mons a few weeks ago:

each is a version-exclusive evolution of a new fire type.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

With Truleewoodo here, I've been brainstorming with friends what other Gym Leaders could do for similar jokes. So far, we got either Charizard or Gyarados for a Dragon Gym, Flygon for a Bug Gym, Gliscor for a Poison Gym, and Clobbopus for a Water Gym.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think it will be strange if after you beat the champions and bring the evil team to heel and catch all the Titan Pokémon you'll still be considered a pokemon school student and have to wear the uniform

Avalerion posted:

yeah this design is goofy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Geostomp posted:

Sure, but that still means at least one big surprise is possible for a Gym Leader's ace. Like that Sudowoodo being on the Grass leader's team.

well... a grass gym leader using a Pokémon that acquires grass typing isn't that big of a surprise tbf

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I just hope they give them spicy aces.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want 10 illegal dragon dances.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

indigi posted:

I think it will be strange if after you beat the champions and bring the evil team to heel and catch all the Titan Pokémon you'll still be considered a pokemon school student and have to wear the uniform
A reward for becoming the champion (a champion?) being the ability to change your drat clothes would be pretty satisfying.

But they're really going for a school theme for the whole game so I don't know. They might just want you to feel like a student even then. Someone's clearly into that idea.

I really don't like it. It's a strong theme that apparently resonates for some audiences, particularly in Japan I'd assume based on the preponderance of school settings in anime, but as someone who never in their life had to wear a school uniform it's not even nostalgic. It's just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all these new designs own