Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What speeds are you running? Either that's a very slow or very large print.

I am printing at about 50mm/s for most aspects, 25mm/s for outer wall and top and bottom. The piece is roughly the size of an RC car. It is a wizarding wagon. It is split into multiple pieces. Layer height of 2.0mm as well. It is bigger than it looks in the render.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-wizard-wagon-237470

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Speaking of the Neptune 3... after 2 weeks of dicking around with my very first 3D printer, I decided to try making a custom Klipper config for it.
With my background in electronics and having access to the Neptune 3 source code on github, I should be able to cross reference and make a config for it.

Well I got pretty far, but I ran into 3 issues that stop me from finishing:

• The Z-endstop and z-probe both use the same pin (PC13), which Klipper apparently doesn't like. How it works is, the endstop is an optical sensor so it's high by default. when you hit the end stop the signal goes low, and when you keep going down and trigger the probe PC13 goes high again. From what I heard on the discord Klipper just doesn't know what to do with any of that.
  • The LCD is a fully separate unit that connects to the mainboard via USB. (Or maybe serial?) Either way it's not something that Klipper supports. Sure yeah you don't *need* the LCD for a functional Klipper install but I want it.
  • Finally this is more of a wtf than a Klipper issue but... The filament runout sensor. Turns out not only is it disabled in the Marlin source code, the source code doesn't even define what pin it's connected to. I would have to crack open the printer, tone out which pin on the microcontroller it's connected to, then cross reference that with the STM32F401 datasheet. It's doable but it's a pain in the rear end (and honestly if they don't fix it this patch I'm tempted to download the Marlin source and fix it myself).
So yeah unless I'm misinformed the endstop/probe issue is a straight up no go for Klipper. Oh well, I actually enjoyed poking around the marlin source code figuring poo poo out, so that's still a day well spent in my books.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am printing at about 50mm/s for most aspects, 25mm/s for outer wall and top and bottom. The piece is roughly the size of an RC car. It is a wizarding wagon. It is split into multiple pieces. Layer height of 2.0mm as well. It is bigger than it looks in the render.

That could definitely be faster but I'm not sure what exactly id recommend. Layer height makes sense though. If you want to go finer, resin out performs it massively in detail.

I print dice towers all day and get a ton of detail with my slowest asked being 50-60 on my outer/small perims

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If I open an Etsy store I will definitely have to figure out how to print faster. Right now I am making a gift and there is a loose time table so I don't have too much time to fine tune everything yet.

Do you own an etsy store, if you are printing dice towers all day? I was considering maybe selling some stuff on Etsy when I got good.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That's quite slow. I've had no problems running 80 / 40 on a stock ender 3, i bet you could ramp it up quite a bit before you started seeing issues.

e: by stock i mean except the extruder, the stock one is a hate crime.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's quite slow. I've had no problems running 80 / 40 on a stock ender 3, i bet you could ramp it up quite a bit before you started seeing issues.

e: by stock i mean except the extruder, the stock one is a hate crime.

Awesome, that is great to hear! I will certainly have to raise the speed after I finish this wizard wagon. I picked up the kickstarter for "Grexdale" and these buildings are sizeable!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ian-margherit/the-town-of-grexdale-a-medieval-tabletop-town

Really enjoying the work of the team that made that, they also did the wizard wagon I am making. Will take a picture when it is all done and complete. The wizard wagon is like multi part so I am actually printing off the small bits and the roof sections at a smaller layer height, and the main structure and verticals at standard height.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If I open an Etsy store I will definitely have to figure out how to print faster. Right now I am making a gift and there is a loose time table so I don't have too much time to fine tune everything yet.

Do you own an etsy store, if you are printing dice towers all day? I was considering maybe selling some stuff on Etsy when I got good.

Yeah actually, but mostly resin. gooseminis.com

The thing with FDM, is the only way to make any real money with it seems to be in volume. That aside, keeping a filament printer running and tuned in feels lot more work than the equivalent with resin. Took me a while to be comfortable selling filament stuff

VVVVVV: yep oops. There are a surprising number of goons on here running resin print ahopa

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 6, 2022

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is that url supposed to be goose?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah actually, but mostly resin. gooseminis.com

The thing with FDM, is the only way to make any real money with it seems to be in volume. That aside, keeping a filament printer running and tuned in feels lot more work than the equivalent with resin. Took me a while to be comfortable selling filament stuff

VVVVVV: yep oops. There are a surprising number of goons on here running resin print ahopa

That is a great looking store! I have a bunch of the fantastic terrain scatter terrain pieces. Do you find them mostly easy to print or do they need a lot of tweaking?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It was, indeed, the fan. Solder joint failure on the negative terminal. Easy enough.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Now, in the off chance my mobo (3.2.7, btw) has poo poo the bed and I have a legitimate reason to upgrade, what is a good (Re: cool) third party mobo for an Ender 3 v2? I’ve been looking at those SKR boards.

Also, since were talking firmware, would I benefit from changing from Marlin to Klipper? Again, doing some reading and Klipper is supposed to be idle for the E3V2.

SKR is the recomended series for Vorons... can't really be a miss there. I'm running two at the moment. And a buddy has them on all his ender 5's.

Klipper is awesome. Klipper gets you all the benefits of Octoprint with none of the usb-serial problems. If you're looking at expanding what your printer does, it also has really easy ways to add functionality. Light controls, servo controls, thermistors, control of multi filament systems, startup and shutdown routines. Just... kinda.. everything.

And then there's what it does for actual printing. It supports actual linear advance, which stops bulging at corners. And it supports resonance compensation, which makes ringing more or less disappear, allowing you to run much higher accelerations without artifacting.

Oh, in your case, if you get a board that does it, klipper does gantry leveling. :-) And if you DON'T get a board that does it, you can use multiple driver boards under kilpper and klipper will just address them as if they were the same board. It's a heck of a party trick.

But... Marlin works. And works well. Unless you're going to go chasing the other functions, I am not sure I'd do it.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I'd generally run my Ender 3 at 120mm/s with stock accelerations. The limit I found to print quality hinged on part cooling. With a new cooling duct, I was able to get good overhangs and small features with the speed cranked up. I use the HeroMe, though the Satsana is good too. That 50mm/s speed is seemingly related to cooling.

And to get the people before they get there.. My speeds were tested using benchies. I saw improvements on print time, with stock accelerations, all the way to 150mm/s

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Acid Reflux posted:

Neptune 3 owners - the newer of the two firmware versions that I posted a week or two ago seems to have fully fixed the problem where it forgets the Z offset and/or doesn't use the saved bed mesh after an indeterminate number of power cycles. If that's been an issue for you too, you can either grab it from my link, or if you'd rather not trust a rando goon's web hosting you can also put in a ticket with Elegoo's customer support describing the behavior and they'll send you whatever the latest version is.

https://www.farscapeprops.com/Neptune3_firmware-20220816.zip

Danke schoen :wotwot:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That is a great looking store! I have a bunch of the fantastic terrain scatter terrain pieces. Do you find them mostly easy to print or do they need a lot of tweaking?

They work pretty much off the bat. It's pretty rare that preaupported files from any half decent patreon won't work. Good resin goes a long way, look into sirayatech if you haven't yet, especially when mixed with their tenacious resin

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I do, but I mostly print resin since it's faster, and it has a lot more volume. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MechaNetStudios

You have two ways you could go about it.

One you could pre-print a bunch of stuff and then sell it. You will eventually run into issues with dealing with inventory, and if you offer a lot of different models, it will become totally unmanageable. Really only good if you want to concentrate on a few items and bang them out.

Two, do print to order, but be sure to set the expected delivery appropriately. FDM takes a long time comparatively so you'll probably also need multiple printers. Good news is reliable FDM is really cheap now. Don't worry about getting more orders that you can handle at once. It will take a while to build up steam. The downside to FDM is big models tends to be expensive material-wise, and there is a ceiling to prices, so your margins will be narrower than resin.

I wouldn't say the market is saturated - yet. But I just concentrate on doing what I do well, and provide what I consider to be the best customer support and I get a nice steady flow of sales. I could ramp it up like Goose if I wanted, but I also have a full time jerb, so I really can't dedicate a huge amount of time to it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Now, in the off chance my mobo (3.2.7, btw) has poo poo the bed and I have a legitimate reason to upgrade, what is a good (Re: cool) third party mobo for an Ender 3 v2? I’ve been looking at those SKR boards.

Also, since were talking firmware, would I benefit from changing from Marlin to Klipper? Again, doing some reading and Klipper is supposed to be idle for the E3V2.

I just ordered a mellow fly e3 pro to convert a prusa mk2.5 - trinamic 2209 drivers, built-in wifi, rep-rap firmware. It should be a drop-in replacement for an ender 3

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A family friend brought over her Neptune 3 because of what sounded like bed adhesion problems. I got a print to complete no problem.

I don't know what slicer you typically use with these things, does she need to add a G-code to level the bed? All it appeared to do was move the print head to the very center of the build plate, go down to Z=0, and then it began printing right away. Not what I was expecting based on my experience with the CRTouch in Marlin.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

cruft posted:

A family friend brought over her Neptune 3 because of what sounded like bed adhesion problems. I got a print to complete no problem.

I don't know what slicer you typically use with these things, does she need to add a G-code to level the bed? All it appeared to do was move the print head to the very center of the build plate, go down to Z=0, and then it began printing right away. Not what I was expecting based on my experience with the CRTouch in Marlin.

If the Neptune has a sensing probe, the command “G29” inserted into the G-Code will make the printer auto-level before a print. Google that for more specifics. Otherwise, manually initiating the auto-level before the initiating the the print is just as good. Personally, I took the G29 out of my GCode because having to sit through 4 extra minutes of auto-level for a print problem that I know doesn’t have to do with adhesion issues and you have to restart several times in quick succession.

Also, I suggest getting one of those good $30 PEI coated steel sheet beds. Nerobro, suggested I get one and it’s a godsend. Honestly, it works too good because it doesn’t care if your z-offset isn’t too terrible off either way and any ol’ first layer sticks. First few prints came out underwhelming until I figured that out.

mewse posted:

I just ordered a mellow fly e3 pro to convert a prusa mk2.5 - trinamic 2209 drivers, built-in wifi, rep-rap firmware. It should be a drop-in replacement for an ender 3

I will definitely check into that. Keep us updated on how it serves you.

Nerobro posted:

Oh, in your case, if you get a board that does it, klipper does gantry leveling. :-) And if you DON'T get a board that does it, you can use multiple driver boards under kilpper and klipper will just address them as if they were the same board. It's a heck of a party trick.

Finding the right board for auto gantry leveling is the issue. Most 5 driver boards are actually 4 with on controlling both z axis motors. I’m done chasing that, for now. I am going to watch some YouTube’s tutorials on installing Klipper, but from your enthusiasm and the two or three things that I want that it can do, I am going to give it a shot.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

cruft posted:

Yeah, the N3 has an auto-levelling process that you have to start off the touchscreen; or use gcodes, i guess. :V Seems to work best if you preheat the bed for a while before running it, and you really only need to ABL after it's been restarted after a power-down.

Once you tell it to print, it'll fire everything up to the set temps and start pooping plastic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

mewse posted:

I have this sitting in my pile of printer parts. Do you know if it supports a camera? I'm looking to have a .. ~extremely remote~ print setup, and I was intending on using that board to drive it.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Finding the right board for auto gantry leveling is the issue. Most 5 driver boards are actually 4 with on controlling both z axis motors. I’m done chasing that, for now. I am going to watch some YouTube’s tutorials on installing Klipper, but from your enthusiasm and the two or three things that I want that it can do, I am going to give it a shot.

The board in my Legacy has five real drivers. But it's not a "mini" board I don't think. If you go down this path, you can do most of the setup without the printer. Web interfaces, config files, you can do it all without actually burning your real printer while learning the ropes.

The "hard part" of Klipper, is updating it. But you can do it entirely from a web browser or SSH terminal, so you're not playing sneakernet when doing the work. For example when I was setting up my V0, I did most of it from my recliner, with the printer close enough I could hear the fans.

I hope you do it. I hope it works out well for you!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Nerobro posted:

I have this sitting in my pile of printer parts. Do you know if it supports a camera? I'm looking to have a .. ~extremely remote~ print setup, and I was intending on using that board to drive it.

The board in my Legacy has five real drivers. But it's not a "mini" board I don't think. If you go down this path, you can do most of the setup without the printer. Web interfaces, config files, you can do it all without actually burning your real printer while learning the ropes.

The "hard part" of Klipper, is updating it. But you can do it entirely from a web browser or SSH terminal, so you're not playing sneakernet when doing the work. For example when I was setting up my V0, I did most of it from my recliner, with the printer close enough I could hear the fans.

I hope you do it. I hope it works out well for you!

I hope to do it, but let me make it even more complicated. I realize that Klipper requires a Raspberry Pi, which I do not have…but I do have several fairly decent Motorola smartphones put back and even a micro-ATX PC (that was hot poo poo for its size two years ago) that currently requires a cost justification. What can I do with those with Klipper or other Klipper like technologies?

Listen, I’m bored as gently caress and trying to keep my mid life crisis cheap. I’m willing to get this thing at least as autonomous as a robot vacuum.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

What can I do with those with Klipper or other Klipper like technologies?

Klipper installs on anything that runs linux. As long as it's got USB, and networking, you're golden.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I got enough Prusameters to get a discount code for a free reel of PLA but the cheapest shipping is 20 bucks. :( I'm still gonna get it but I was thinking I could get away with $10 shipping at the most.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Nerobro posted:

Klipper installs on anything that runs linux. As long as it's got USB, and networking, you're golden.

To YouTube I go, then.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So my first mega print is going pretty well. I think I still need to tune some settings though. Most of the prints have come out pretty good, but I am getting a few odd areas here and there, but I am able to clean them up with a hobby knife and some sanding.

Here is a set of stairs I printed out. First picture shows orientation as it was on the print bed. I got some weird scragglies, any idea what causes that? It is odd that the issue is only apparent on the first column and not all of them.

I also had some issues with some strands on overhangs. The file set I purchased said it was all no support needed specifically designed for FDM printers.

Does this look like improper retraction settings?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The second print, I would be looking at your bridge settings

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Those curls off the roof line are where the first bridge line broke while hot and curled back on itself. You can adjust your cooling settings or reduce bridging speed.

Under the stairs that's weird. Maybe ooze?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Nerobro posted:

How much self-harm is it going to take to get Klipper running on a Linux virtual machine on a PC? I’ll straight up reformat and install Linux on my PC, but then it becomes a dedicated machine for the printer.

Octo-print looks very easy to set up on an old Android phone, but I don’t have a USB-C OTG splitter cable handy. I can’t find a good tutorial on how to get Klipper to run on a smartphone.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vaporware posted:

Those curls off the roof line are where the first bridge line broke while hot and curled back on itself. You can adjust your cooling settings or reduce bridging speed.

Under the stairs that's weird. Maybe ooze?

My fan is set to 100% cooling. I assume the fans are things that can be replaced or upgraded? Is that a difficult tweak?

I looked through Cura and I am not seeing speeds directly related to bridging. Is there perhaps another similar term that Cura uses?

EDIT: Oh, I found it under experimental. Will have to give it a try. Any advice to any of the bridge settings? I am going to just go with their recommendations for my next few prints and see how that plays out.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My fan is set to 100% cooling. I assume the fans are things that can be replaced or upgraded? Is that a difficult tweak?

Not at all. Find a shroud duct you’d like to try out and then get the fans for it. Remember to match the fans to your machine’s voltage (12v or 24v). If you are not comfortable splicing wire, I recommend ordering fans that have extra long cables. Less gnashing of teeth, even if you pay slightly more.

Don’t fall for the Noctua money trap, they aren’t that quiet. Dual-ball bearing over hydraulic bearings, if I had to choose.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

How much self-harm is it going to take to get Klipper running on a Linux virtual machine on a PC? I’ll straight up reformat and install Linux on my PC, but then it becomes a dedicated machine for the printer.

Octo-print looks very easy to set up on an old Android phone, but I don’t have a USB-C OTG splitter cable handy. I can’t find a good tutorial on how to get Klipper to run on a smartphone.

TL;DR: Lots of self harm.

I mean, it can be done. (Professional Systems Admin dude here..) But loading klipper, in a VM, and having that interact with the hypervisor, and whatever layers of abstraction your particular flavor of VM might be to the USB outside world, sounds like a great way to hate using a PC based CNC controller. For anything real time, I am hesitant to add anything that might interrupt timing. I would do it bare metal.

There are lots of VERY cheap options even if you can't get a Pi.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Nerobro posted:

TL;DR: Lots of self harm.

I mean, it can be done. (Professional Systems Admin dude here..) But loading klipper, in a VM, and having that interact with the hypervisor, and whatever layers of abstraction your particular flavor of VM might be to the USB outside world, sounds like a great way to hate using a PC based CNC controller. For anything real time, I am hesitant to add anything that might interrupt timing. I would do it bare metal.

There are lots of VERY cheap options even if you can't get a Pi.

Sounds like I’m going to be formatting a Linux box, then. I have completely lost touch with that scene. What is the good disto, now?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

Sounds like I’m going to be formatting a Linux box, then. I have completely lost touch with that scene. What is the good disto, now?

Yeah... that's right up there with who's got the biggest jesus, what kind BBQ is acceptable, does cornbread have cracklins, and what defines mac and cheese. I lean towards rpm based distros, but... that's not a useful answer for you. Hah.

In this case though, Rasbian is a Debian derivative, which means some Debian descendant is what you should go for, for least resistance. I'd be looking at Ubuntu? But beyond that you should be in the Klipper GitHub and discord so you can get real advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib1Dd3rIE2I

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, god, actually interact in real time? No, thank you. I’ll just do what the YouTube man tells me to do.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Well I've sold over 1200 bucks in 3d printed dnd terrain, and resin printed minis in like 3 weeks. I'm going from an ender 3, added a prusa mini, added a anycubic mono x, now I'm probably adding another 2 ender 3s. gently caress, I think I have to start a small business and track this for tax purposes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Weirdly, this is one instance where the easiest thing would be to use an old RPi B. With OctoPi, you just sort of drop it on the SD card and you're off to the races.

Obtaining a Raspberry Pi in 2022, however, might be something of a challenge. Maybe you have one lying around somewhere you can purloin? Or ask a friend?

Barring that, if you are asking what distribution to use, the answer is still probably Ubuntu LTS.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

queeb posted:

Well I've sold over 1200 bucks in 3d printed dnd terrain, and resin printed minis in like 3 weeks. I'm going from an ender 3, added a prusa mini, added a anycubic mono x, now I'm probably adding another 2 ender 3s. gently caress, I think I have to start a small business and track this for tax purposes.

Hell yeah dude nice job. If your doing resin regularly, have a back up machine. Nothing worse than having deadlines in a week and not being able to print because your waiting on a new LCD to arrive.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

holy poo poo no do not make that harder on yourself. get an Orange or Banana or NeoPi. Put their flavor of Ubuntu on it. Install KIAUH scripts and run them, they will do all the heavy lifting.

you do not want a full size PC doing this job for more than an afternoon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an alternative to octoprint that will run on an esp8266

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

insta posted:

holy poo poo no do not make that harder on yourself. get an Orange or Banana or NeoPi. Put their flavor of Ubuntu on it. Install KIAUH scripts and run them, they will do all the heavy lifting.

you do not want a full size PC doing this job for more than an afternoon

It is the essence of 3D printing to take a task and make it harder on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

What's the best test print/method for calculating max print speeds?

This dragonfly on the ender 3 is absolutely ripping. Managed to slap a 2nd blower fan on there too so cooling shouldnt be an issue at all