Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

the issue is that the most entrenched players are also the ones who are likely to complain the most, and loud, vocal complaints from your most dedicated fans tend to turn off curious casuals, who would be the main people a move like that would be aimed at.

im definitely not saying they couldnt do it if they wanted to and probably be fine, i just dont think theyll go that route. its more trouble than its worth for something that doesnt seem like itd improve profits any or make anything any easier for them. theres more roundabout ways of making those characters more accessible with way less trouble.
That's all true. I think a blowup along the lines of "They said they wouldn't distribute certain characters in this specific way and then changed their mind!" is probably too deep in the weeds for anyone who doesn't already play the game to take any notice, though? I dunno. It is a real risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'they said these characters were limited-time and then made them permanent' is pretty easy for people to understand, honestly. its not like companies dont pull tricks like that in other mediums or even with actual physical goods.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

An important thing to remember is that making characters permanent might actually decrease their availability to the average player. To use Raiden as an example again, sure, she's not always available, but when she is, you can guarantee that you get her as long as you've saved up enough primogems ahead of time. But there's no way to guarantee yourself Diluc, Keqing, Jean, Mona, or Qiqi (haha just kidding we're all guaranteed Qiqi eventually). You can add Tighnari to that list starting in 3.1, too.

It's possible that permanent banner characters could get featured again at some point, like Keqing did once (though that was a special circumstance). Maybe they could add an Epitomized Path-like system for the permanent banner in the future. But with how it works now, characters on the permanent banner are harder to get, even if they're technically always available.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Case in point, I've played since launch and while I've been F2P for some spates, I've also spent a tidy sum in other seasons. I still don't have Jean. I have Mona C4 and Qiqi C4, Keqing C2, Diluc C1 instead. It's cursed.

Meanwhile the only event character that I would like to have and do not have is Yelan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive been playing since launch and have been a welkin + bp player, and i have every character in the game except albedo, itto, klee, xiao, and

diluc

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

An important thing to remember is that making characters permanent might actually decrease their availability to the average player. To use Raiden as an example again, sure, she's not always available, but when she is, you can guarantee that you get her as long as you've saved up enough primogems ahead of time. But there's no way to guarantee yourself Diluc, Keqing, Jean, Mona, or Qiqi (haha just kidding we're all guaranteed Qiqi eventually). You can add Tighnari to that list starting in 3.1, too.

It's possible that permanent banner characters could get featured again at some point, like Keqing did once (though that was a special circumstance). Maybe they could add an Epitomized Path-like system for the permanent banner in the future. But with how it works now, characters on the permanent banner are harder to get, even if they're technically always available.
Oh, absolutely. And worse, each new character they add makes the existing ones even harder to get. If they just woke up tomorrow and said "2nd anniversary! All the previous 5-stars are going into Wanderlust Invocation and never getting another rerun! Good luck, fuckers!", that would be a disaster for way more reasons than just because they went back on their word.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

They do that to drive sales, really. When they say that a character like Raiden Shogun is event exclusive, that you have three weeks to get her and then who knows how long it'll be until you have another shot, that's meant to put pressure on you to get her right now, and if you don't have enough primos to do that, well, crack open that wallet. The time pressure is all part of the sales strategy.

Sure, the wording means they can't eventually add her to the Wanderlust Invocation banner, but why would they want to? The exclusivity is the point. If they really want to make previous event exclusive 5-stars more available in the future, there are plenty of ways of doing that without adding them to Wanderlust Invocation (for example, adding a third rotating event banner, or having occasional special rerun events with multiple previous 5-stars all featured, or things like that).

It's not even that much pressure compared to most gacha games either I've noticed. There's 3 week time windows instead of like 7-14 days and they don't take the blindside you approach where you have to tune into some stream to find out what's getting shadow dropped literally as you are watching while also stacking as many other high profile banners a week ahead of the blindside banner reveal to try to make sure as many players as possible are going into it with as little resources as possible. Instead the official reveal tends to come about a week ahead of time and because of leaks and logical speculation based on what's happening in events and archon quests we can deduce for example that 3.1's first banner is going to be at least one of Cyno, Nilou, Candace and the second one will at minimum feature a Eula run. It's more of a "get hype" brain pick as to a "get panicked" one that is moderately less lovely to the player in not trying to catch them completely off guard with something and give them a moderate amount of time to get their resources in order even if it means just waiting for their next pay check to come in. I'm not a huge fan of gacha still by a long shot but this game is a lot less obnoxious and constantly in your face with it than some others I've played. Heck even Honkai Impact tries more sleazy manipulative gacha stuff like putting the caption "Top up so that we can fight by your side forever and ever" on the menu icon for the paid in game currency menu, which kind of got a groan out of me as I was going through the tutorial the other day.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 7, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Oh, absolutely. And worse, each new character they add makes the existing ones even harder to get. If they just woke up tomorrow and said "2nd anniversary! All the previous 5-stars are going into Wanderlust Invocation and never getting another rerun! Good luck, fuckers!", that would be a disaster for way more reasons than just because they went back on their word.

I don't think there's any way for Mihoyo to win the anniversary scenario anyway, at least in the American market where people seem dead set on making it a tradition to throw a massive poo poo fit cause :munch: LULZ :munch:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just give me a crystal top-up reset so I can use the power of my wallet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so long as the anni rewards are somewhat better than last year's i really doubt there'll be that much of a blowup. people arent really buying those pipedream anni reward videos anymroe. if you search it on youtube the videos with actual high views are the ones going 'yeah dont expect much,' pointing out honkai also had pretty lame 2nd anniversary rewards, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't even remember what last year's anniversary rewards were so I don't have any expectations

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Was the first anniversary contentious? I actually didn't know that when I made that joke. That's funny.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people were extremely mad last anniversary

Xalidur posted:

Case in point, I've played since launch and while I've been F2P for some spates, I've also spent a tidy sum in other seasons. I still don't have Jean. I have Mona C4 and Qiqi C4, Keqing C2, Diluc C1 instead. It's cursed.

Meanwhile the only event character that I would like to have and do not have is Yelan.

yea when I was down to mona being the only standard 5* I didn't have, it bugged me every time I got a constellation instead of her and that's the only reason I pulled for tighnari

I would have liked kokomi or eula more but w/e they're easier to get in the long run

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Was the first anniversary contentious? I actually didn't know that when I made that joke. That's funny.

Extremely, people threw huge fits

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

FractalSandwich posted:

it was really stupid and forced. I do use the wings we got out of it quite a lot though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people expected the world and when there were barely any rewards people got mad. now personally i can understand being annoyed at how little they gave away but people were expecting like, free 5*s or poo poo, or comparing it to granblue which is a game thats nearly a decade old and has 300+ characters so of course that gives out way more rolls for the anniversary. it blew up to the point people were reviewbombing honkai and also entirely unrelated games.

Harrow posted:

I don't even remember what last year's anniversary rewards were so I don't have any expectations

1600 primos, 10 intertwined fates, a glider, 2 fragile resin, and a handful of exp books and mora. and a reset of the bonuses you get the first time you buy a currency pack. 20 rolls isnt a terrible reward in a game with such hard-coded pity but like i said people expected the world.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the funniest part in retrospect is how mad people got about raiden not being good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the funniest part in retrospect is how mad people got about raiden not being good
if you go to raiden mains on reddit and look back to her launch you can see some of the funniest posts in the world

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For some reason the one that bothered me the most was the universal belief that Ayaka was clearly worse than ganyu. This belief lasted at least through 2.2.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

ive been playing since launch and have been a welkin + bp player, and i have every character in the game except albedo, itto, klee, xiao, and

diluc

Replace Klee for Eula, and that's my list. Wow

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

For some reason the one that bothered me the most was the universal belief that Ayaka was clearly worse than ganyu. This belief lasted at least through 2.2.

I don't remember that. The videos of people grinding ruins guards to pulp with one ult came out pretty quickly. I think people underestimating her charge attack was the main noteworthy point.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The Genshin playerbase is and always will be terrible at evaluating characters beyond a surface level

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Candace seems like fun just based on the description of her talents. I'll probably pull that banner for her even if she sucks

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Candace seems like fun just based on the description of her talents. I'll probably pull that banner for her even if she sucks

If she's on Cyno banner I won't get her. I'm already going to go up to at least one pity for Kokomi, pray I get her or Jean, and then it's Eula and probably Nilou time. :negative:

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if once we are a few years deeper they do something similar to honkai where they put limited characters into standard but still do focused banners for those character as filler to give people direct chances to get them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Candace has a spear and shield and that's such a rad aesthetic that I can't not try to get her

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Eimi posted:

If she's on Cyno banner I won't get her. I'm already going to go up to at least one pity for Kokomi, pray I get her or Jean, and then it's Eula and probably Nilou time. :negative:
There's always the chance that Eula runs alongside Cyno!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Endorph posted:

diluc

For me it's Klee, Ganyu, Yoimiya, Kokomi and

Qiqi.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I don't remember that. The videos of people grinding ruins guards to pulp with one ult came out pretty quickly. I think people underestimating her charge attack was the main noteworthy point.

I think it was less people saying ayaka was just a worse ganyu and more people putting ganyu and the old morgana team on a pedestal impossible to reach by any other team. Until people realized how much worse it got when every enemy is anemo suck resistant.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ardlen posted:

There's always the chance that Eula runs alongside Cyno!

Yeah, though if she's with Nilou it'd mean their weapons are on the same banner and only way I'd go for Nilou's sword but it makes her pretty monstrous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

diluc

I started buying welkin + bp in Jan 2021 (And only bought 30$ of crystals once when Eula's first banner came around because I decided at the last minute that I also wanted her after I'd spent all of my rolls on Klee) and I'm missing 7 characters that I never rolled for: Tartaglia, Ayaka, Yoimiya, Kokomi, Shenhe, Yae Miko, and Ayato.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to them filling in the gaps on 4* character element and weapon combos. There's still no 4* anemo or geo swordsperson, we just need a hydro bow and claymore user at this point, Candace is coming next patch so that just leaves electro spear as the last one missing, and of course, any type of cryo catalyst would be the first now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

The Genshin playerbase is and always will be terrible at evaluating characters beyond a surface level

A lot of it is cause of the bargain bin tier clickbaiting stuff in the Youtube sphere in particular jerking people around with bullshit flipflopping claims on what to expect out of characters kits. Some of them aren't even pretending to have any idea of what they are talking about either, but they have some digitized voice over to go along with a 1 minute clip of something somebody might have said somewhere on reddit so it needs to be put out there and then boom instant 100K clicks in like an hour and suddenly it becomes "common knowledge" cause even like 8 years deep into the post social media hell hole we've created a lot of people don't know how to proper valuate information that they are presented with.

Even now with the skytube app it still gets clogged right the gently caress up with nonsensical stuff though I've blocked out the worst of the worst channels at least.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I remember a lot of people saying that her dash was clunky, which it was kind of up until the most recent patch, but a lot of people kind of overlooked her other perks like easy Cryo infusion, a really great charge attack with quick hits and a ton of range, a really high damage multi hit burst and her passive talents as well like the crafting one. Her skill also hits in a pretty large radius, has a decent refresh rate of 10 seconds and is an easy self-buff to go along with the easy cryo infusion. She's good enough on her own, but now they've also added Shenhe to make her potentially even more lethal. Her only real sort of drawback is she doesn't contribute anything for the rest of the roster aside from her crafting talent which is outside combat anyway.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Every 5* has been deemed bad before release it feels like. Yoimiya is worse than Diluc. Raiden doesn't do damage. Kazuha is just a 5* Sucrose (as if that's somehow meant to be a bad thing). Never trust anyone's evaluations until a few weeks after release. Even then probably still don't.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I have to kill the happy dancing eremite to get this chest...

Kale
May 14, 2010

The one I kind of feel may have been a bit overrated though for me at least is Ganyu. I've got her attack up to talent level 8, have a level 80 4* Hamayumi (refined once now) on her as recommended for non 5 star option and have a 4-set of Blizzard Strayer on her as well that's been maxed out and she has about 2,300 atk at this point and almost no way to build her any further short of going to level 90 with the weapon and her own level and possibly crowning her attack and I'm still only really getting like 16K or so damage off of her fully double charged attack that takes a ton of time to charge up, aim and fire. It just kind of doesn't seem that worth it and a lot of boss fights take way slower using her compared to say Ayaka or Hu Tao vape team. I think she's even kind of lagging behind characters like Ninguang in damage output who is doing like 3.5K damage per gem hit on most of her attacks after walking through jade walls and getting a geo shield with the 4-set Archaic Petra which isn't even an optimal build for her. Ganyu is also supposed to get a damage bonus when at full EN charge according to the Hamiyumi description but I'm not really noticing any major difference making me question whether the build guide I have for her is really the right one. Like for a character that's supposed to be one of the greatest in the game still I can't really say I'm feeling it all that much.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

The one I kind of feel may have been a bit overrated though for me at least is Ganyu. I've got her attack up to talent level 8, have a level 80 4* Hamayumi (refined once now) on her as recommended for non 5 star option and have a 4-set of Blizzard Strayer on her as well that's been maxed out and she has about 2,300 atk at this point and almost no way to build her any further short of going to level 90 with the weapon and her own level and possibly crowning her attack and I'm still only really getting like 16K or so damage off of her fully double charged attack that takes a ton of time to charge up, aim and fire. It just kind of doesn't seem that worth it and a lot of boss fights take way slower using her compared to say Ayaka or Hu Tao vape team. I think she's even kind of lagging behind characters like Ninguang in damage output who is doing like 3.5K damage per gem hit on most of her attacks after walking through jade walls and getting a geo shield with the 4-set Archaic Petra which isn't even an optimal build for her. Ganyu is also supposed to get a damage bonus when at full EN charge according to the Hamiyumi description but I'm not really noticing any major difference making me question whether the build guide I have for her is really the right one. Like for a character that's supposed to be one of the greatest in the game still I can't really say I'm feeling it all that much.

well, I hit at about 50k with wanderers and r2 amos bow and zhongli's shield. even more with kazuha. I have gotten pretty lucky getting the 2 amos bow off standard banner, but she's really great. 16k is way too low. if I team her with bennet and xiangling, it's just ridiculous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Every 5* has been deemed bad before release it feels like. Yoimiya is worse than Diluc. Raiden doesn't do damage. Kazuha is just a 5* Sucrose (as if that's somehow meant to be a bad thing). Never trust anyone's evaluations until a few weeks after release. Even then probably still don't.

Yeah that's basically the entire history summed up. If you listen to the loudest voices in the room talk about new characters, everyone since Xiao has been nigh-unplayable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm only missing Tighnari, Itto, Yoimiya, Xiao, Ganyu. And those characters I purposely avoided rolling.

This upcoming pair of patches coming up is maybe the first time ever I will skip someone I want, since I'm ground zero at pity, but want Nahida/Nilou/Dehya.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dehya seemingly wont be for a while, like 3.5 or so. so you might be able to squeak getting both nahida and nilou and then saving up for dehya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've played since a month or 2 after release and I'm still missing Qiqi. Among others, but I'm sad I still can't make a munchkin squad