Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dave posted:

I have to admit I caught a trailer for Ponoccio last night, a thing I didn’t know was even being made, and threw my hands up admitting that I don’t understand the industry at all these days.
For some reason Disney continues to let Robert Zemekis do his thing despite multiple major budget failures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mr Hootington posted:

Why what is happening to the WB is happening and how it will happen to the rest of Hollywood.
https://twitter.com/gvaughnjoy/status/1566899284569722882?t=M39aIgiN_bIZnmXujiF6uA&s=19

It probably isn't worthwhile listening to legal opinions from non-lawyers.

I can't see any connection between a decision on movie studios owning cinemas and what WB is doing with streaming. If anything the thing the Paramount accords were trying to prevent (studios operating their own venues, with their movies exclusive to them) is pretty much the model HBOMAX etc were operating under.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 7, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's definitely an interesting read from a film historian but I don't think they deliver on the promise of the thread title, which spelled doom for Hollywood.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

For some reason Disney continues to let Robert Zemekis do his thing despite multiple major budget failures

Here are a couple of those reasons:

-Back to the Future trilogy
-Forrest Gump
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hollywood has the "M. Night Shyamalan Rule."

As long as you have made one good and/or profitable movie every 10 years, you can just keep doing whatever you want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think even Shyamalan has self funded a large part of his last few movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fangz posted:

It probably isn't worthwhile listening to legal opinions from non-lawyers.

I can't see any connection between a decision on movie studios owning cinemas and what WB is doing with streaming. If anything the thing the Paramount accords were trying to prevent (studios operating their own venues, with their movies exclusive to them) is pretty much the model HBOMAX etc were operating under.

The author is fundamentally missing the real meaning of the sunsetting of the Paramount consent decrees and is arguing from a false pretense. The real concern is that, for example, Regal's in the process of filing for bankruptcy, meaning there's nothing stopping a company like Disney from swooping in and acquiring the theater chain's assets for pennies on the dollar, meaning Disney would own the second-largest theater chain in the United States, and could charge exorbitant prices for non-Disney distributors to show their movies in Disney-owned theaters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Why what is happening to the WB is happening and how it will happen to the rest of Hollywood.
https://twitter.com/gvaughnjoy/status/1566899284569722882?t=M39aIgiN_bIZnmXujiF6uA&s=19

I was hoping that this would be better written. SCOTUS didn't end the Paramount Accord. The Trump admin Justice Dept did by filing a motion in district Court. This can be reversible thru the same mechanism. Antitrust is largely at the discretion of whoever is in the Oval Office.

But yeah Amazon shouldn't have been able to buy MGM imo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shageletic posted:

I was hoping that this would be better written. SCOTUS didn't end the Paramount Accord. The Trump admin Justice Dept did by filing a motion in district Court. This can be reversible thru the same mechanism. Antitrust is largely at the discretion of whoever is in the Oval Office.

Trump's DoJ filed the motion and an Obama judge okayed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yannick_B posted:

Here are a couple of those reasons:

-Back to the Future trilogy
-Forrest Gump
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Those movies are almost all 30+ years old

Disney had to take a like $150 million loss on ‘Mars Needs Moms’ not even a decade ago

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Zemekis helped Michael Eisner dispose of a body after a coke fueled orgy back in the 80s. Even though Eisner is long gone Disney owes him for keeping quiet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not realize that the studio system was going to come back. I can't believe scoutus reversing that decision was not news two years ago.

Shageletic posted:

oh that could be why. Still bad

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Timby posted:

The author is fundamentally missing the real meaning of the sunsetting of the Paramount consent decrees and is arguing from a false pretense. The real concern is that, for example, Regal's in the process of filing for bankruptcy, meaning there's nothing stopping a company like Disney from swooping in and acquiring the theater chain's assets for pennies on the dollar, meaning Disney would own the second-largest theater chain in the United States, and could charge exorbitant prices for non-Disney distributors to show their movies in Disney-owned theaters.

I mean, they could, but then the admin could just re-impose that antitrust rule.

quote:

Going forward, assuming the Consent Decrees are terminated, “the Division will review the vertical practices initially prohibited by the Paramount decrees using the rule of reason,” Delrahim said. “If credible evidence shows a practice harms consumer welfare, antitrust enforcers remain ready to act.”

Anyway, my point is that there's no connection to WBD.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 7, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Dave posted:

I have to admit I caught a trailer for Ponoccio last night, a thing I didn’t know was even being made, and threw my hands up admitting that I don’t understand the industry at all these days.
1) Live-action remakes of their animated classics have made them money in the past and are, in theory, a safe bet -- they already know there's an audience who'll love the movie
2) Tom Hanks is in it
3) They don't actually need this one to make them money, it's a D+ exclusive, they get to splash the words Pinnochio and Tom Hanks and Disney+ around on advertising for a few months and it stays as more content to draw people in or keep them around forever, and if it's a big hit, hey, bonus

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those movies are almost all 30+ years old

Disney had to take a like $150 million loss on ‘Mars Needs Moms’ not even a decade ago

Yeah and these movies are all enduring classics. And when he wasn't making massive hits, Zemeckis made weird movies that pushed special effects forward while still attracting big actors.
He's still an amazing director in an industry that moved towards the type of movies he made at the height of his powers.

No studio's going to say "Naah" to the director and star of Forrest Gump reuniting to adapt one of their characters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Joe Fisto posted:

Zemekis helped Michael Eisner dispose of a body after a coke fueled orgy back in the 80s. Even though Eisner is long gone Disney owes him for keeping quiet.

I am now starting the rumor that's why they built superstar limo

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

TwoPair posted:

Please hire me WBD I will be your Kevin Feige and/or fall guy.

My 3 point plan is brilliant:

1. Make a movie starring a B-lister where we do not mention other heroes (especially Superman/Batman). My choice is Booster Gold but I'm flexible. Feature a post-credits where Martian Manhunter appears to cryptically hint at something bad coming and that they should team up.
  2. At this point basically copy the MCU point for point but with other JL members, making sure to save Batman and Superman for last.
  3. Do a Justice League.

Scarily similar to my plan, down to Booster Gold being *THE GUY*, who meets Ted Kord soon after his arrival from the future.

"Have you heard about the JLInititive?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My DCEU plan:

1. No more out-of-continuity spinoffs for a while. Yes, I know they're making money and are both better and more popular than the main universe stuff. That is a problem. Losing awards clout and some creative space is a sacrifice we're going to have to make. If we make a good movie, it should be making people excited for all the other movies, not just its direct sequel.
2. I am mercilessly cutting out everything that didn't work. The following movies (and show), and nothing else, are in continuity: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, The Suicide Squad, and Peacemaker. Any continuity quibbles created by this (hey, doesn't Ezra Miller show up as the Flash in Peacemaker when they're not the Flash anymore?) are explained by an off-screen Crisis that definitely happened but nobody remembers it now shut up.
3. Suicide Squad and Peacemaker treat the Justice League, and superheroing in general, as an ongoing concern that's existed for many years already. That's good. That's what we're going with. This poo poo is established. Superheroes exist, they team up, they fight an already defined array of baddies, there are government organizations created in response to this new status quo, the average civilian on the street finds it all normal. No origin stories until we've got stuff set up and self-sustaining, and then only used very sparingly. (Green Lantern probably needs one; accepting an entire galaxy full of alien space cops without a dedicated introduction is a big ask. I can't think of anyone else who does.)
4. That sets our tone as to where we want to put the heroes in their career. They are established. None of this is new. Batman has a Robin, and it's Tim Drake -- Dick Grayson and Jason Todd are already operating independently. Superman and Lois Lane are in a committed relationship, and she knows he's Clark Kent. Themyscira has been recognized by the UN. There's a wide world of metahumans and just regular dudes putting on suits out there. (Nobody blinks an eye at Vigilante's existence.)
5. Every movie is just the next adventure. This is comic books. It is actually not hard. Got a movie about a hero you want to make? Great. They already exist. What villain are you using? Nobody needs an origin. These are archetypes; anyone who the audience is unfamiliar with should make their deal immediately obvious, or you're doing your job wrong. What are they doing today? What's the story?
6. Everything is more or less self-contained. The spread-out nature of DC heroes, as opposed to Marvel where everyone lives and operates in New York City, helps us here. Again, this is comic books. "Why doesn't Superman deal with X" has been answered satisfactorily with "because it's not happening in Metropolis" for loving decades. It works fine. Don't mess with it. Everyone has their own city and circle of friends. There is no threat building in the background. No Infinity Stones, no Thanos. Once we have a working interconnected universe that everybody gives a poo poo about, we can have the "okay, this is the stuff everybody likes the most, how do we do a giant crossover with it" meeting. That meeting is at least five years away.

Hire me Zaslav

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought Birds of Prey was all right, but I guess it's not canon anymore

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Arist posted:

I thought Birds of Prey was all right, but I guess it's not canon anymore
It was, but I want Huntress and Renee Montoya and Black Canary and Cassandra Cain closer to their comics selves.

Or maybe it's canon and that was just a really long time ago, that's fine too.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 7, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

My tip would be to get rid of the DCEU entirely. No more shared universe. Just do whatever. Trying to copy Marvel is what got them into trouble in the first place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My proposal is to center the DCEU on Lego Batman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WB sold the Lego IP rights, it's the reason the sequel to Lego Batman (which sounded amazing) never got made.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arist posted:

WB sold the Lego IP rights, it's the reason the sequel to Lego Batman (which sounded amazing) never got made.

What complete loving idiots.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

It was, but I want Huntress and Renee Montoya and Black Canary and Cassandra Cain closer to their comics selves.

Or maybe it's canon and that was just a really long time ago, that's fine too.

No, BoP Huntress was perfect, and Black Canary was fine. We do need to make Cassandra Cain closer to comics, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Arist posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

What was the last thing they did right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Karloff posted:

My tip would be to get rid of the DCEU entirely. No more shared universe. Just do whatever. Trying to copy Marvel is what got them into trouble in the first place.

Yeah that's the key. Their elseworld/unrelated films have been the good ones, and it frees them up creatively. Trying to retrace the last ten years of Marvel's steps isn't going to get them anywhere

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Yeah that's the key. Their elseworld/unrelated films have been the good ones, and it frees them up creatively. Trying to retrace the last ten years of Marvel's steps isn't going to get them anywhere
I mean, there's a reason I mandated "no elseworlds" but also "everyone stays self-contained unless they have a good reason to". You can find a middle ground between creative freedom and shared continuity, if you make a good movie it should be a rising tide that lifts all boats (people should be excited to see Robert Pattinson Batman being on the Justice League and meeting up with Margo Robbie and all of that), and don't give me "tonal mismatch", the MCU stuck a goddamn wizard on a spaceship and sent him to Jupiter and nobody even noticed that something odd was happening.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

My DCEU plan:

1. No more out-of-continuity spinoffs for a while. Yes, I know they're making money and are both better and more popular than the main universe stuff. That is a problem. Losing awards clout and some creative space is a sacrifice we're going to have to make. If we make a good movie, it should be making people excited for all the other movies, not just its direct sequel.
2. I am mercilessly cutting out everything that didn't work. The following movies (and show), and nothing else, are in continuity: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, The Suicide Squad, and Peacemaker. Any continuity quibbles created by this (hey, doesn't Ezra Miller show up as the Flash in Peacemaker when they're not the Flash anymore?) are explained by an off-screen Crisis that definitely happened but nobody remembers it now shut up.
3. Suicide Squad and Peacemaker treat the Justice League, and superheroing in general, as an ongoing concern that's existed for many years already. That's good. That's what we're going with. This poo poo is established. Superheroes exist, they team up, they fight an already defined array of baddies, there are government organizations created in response to this new status quo, the average civilian on the street finds it all normal. No origin stories until we've got stuff set up and self-sustaining, and then only used very sparingly. (Green Lantern probably needs one; accepting an entire galaxy full of alien space cops without a dedicated introduction is a big ask. I can't think of anyone else who does.)
4. That sets our tone as to where we want to put the heroes in their career. They are established. None of this is new. Batman has a Robin, and it's Tim Drake -- Dick Grayson and Jason Todd are already operating independently. Superman and Lois Lane are in a committed relationship, and she knows he's Clark Kent. Themyscira has been recognized by the UN. There's a wide world of metahumans and just regular dudes putting on suits out there. (Nobody blinks an eye at Vigilante's existence.)
5. Every movie is just the next adventure. This is comic books. It is actually not hard. Got a movie about a hero you want to make? Great. They already exist. What villain are you using? Nobody needs an origin. These are archetypes; anyone who the audience is unfamiliar with should make their deal immediately obvious, or you're doing your job wrong. What are they doing today? What's the story?
6. Everything is more or less self-contained. The spread-out nature of DC heroes, as opposed to Marvel where everyone lives and operates in New York City, helps us here. Again, this is comic books. "Why doesn't Superman deal with X" has been answered satisfactorily with "because it's not happening in Metropolis" for loving decades. It works fine. Don't mess with it. Everyone has their own city and circle of friends. There is no threat building in the background. No Infinity Stones, no Thanos. Once we have a working interconnected universe that everybody gives a poo poo about, we can have the "okay, this is the stuff everybody likes the most, how do we do a giant crossover with it" meeting. That meeting is at least five years away.

Hire me Zaslav

with your 'stop making good movies' strategy you may be in with a shot at WB!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doing a little more research, they didn't "sell" the Lego rights, they were in a partnership with Lego that they chose not to renew after disappointing returns for The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part. Which is also their fault, because they oversaturated the market by releasing Lego Ninjago and Lego Batman in 2017.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's not clear that Lin would have necessarily done a good job or if the position of head DCEU visionary actually has any power over the studio, but WB/D's willingness to give him a 10-year contract and commit to hiring his production company for at least 10 years, but being so unwilling to buy the production upfront that they are willing to publicly scuttle the whole deal after promoting it is bizarre.

How much more could buying his production company been (plus, you get to own the company) vs. committing to contract out to them for 10 years - not even getting into the costs of a 10-year contract for Lin and the billions of dollars in movies at stake - that it made sense to sink the whole thing?

Most of their other decisions at least have the logic of "short-term pain, but long-term success. We're just ripping the band-aid off all at once." This one seems insanely short-sighted for no real reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The point of a shared universe is to help sell people on the next thing that comes along. Or in other words, brand loyalty. You can build brand loyalty just by putting out good movies & TV shows. If you're not confident in your ability to consistently do that then why would you want to connect them? Because if one project is a big misstep it then becomes a yoke around the neck of future projects.

Marvel started the MCU because they did not have top tier money or top tier characters so just starting with the Avengers right out of the gate as the very first movie was a bad idea. Yes they got bought by Disney relatively early but that was not the original plan. Take a risk on inexpensive directors and actors to sell people on the lesser heroes and then hopefully reap the rewards with team-ups. It was all a big gamble because of what they were working with.

Legendary studio Warner Brothers has never needed that for DC. Or at least they shouldn't have. You don't need to "build up to" a movie with loving Superman or Batman. Or a movie with Superman AND Batman! Audiences don't need to know that Bruce Wayne is loving Jaime Reyes' mom or whatever, people would be excited to see Blue Beetle if they saw the DC stamp and were like oh yeah, I remember all those excellent Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern films so this is going to rule as well.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CapnAndy posted:

My DCEU plan:

I zaslav am simultaneously firing you with one hand and strangling you with the other.

CANCELLED!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cancel you from this mortal coil

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How much more could buying his production company been (plus, you get to own the company) vs. committing to contract out to them for 10 years - not even getting into the costs of a 10-year contract for Lin and the billions of dollars in movies at stake - that it made sense to sink the whole thing?

It'd be real awkward to be contracted to this dude's film studio when the plan was to throw him under the bus the second Batman: Pearls Falling doesn't make Top Gun money

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not clear that Lin would have necessarily done a good job or if the position of head DCEU visionary actually has any power over the studio, but WB/D's willingness to give him a 10-year contract and commit to hiring his production company for at least 10 years, but being so unwilling to buy the production upfront that they are willing to publicly scuttle the whole deal after promoting it is bizarre.

Most of their other decisions at least have the logic of "short-term pain, but long-term success. We're just ripping the band-aid off all at once." This one seems insanely short-sighted for no real reason.

they're literally erasing shows entire existences because "debt", is it really a shock to you that they don't want to buy up another company

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

site posted:

they're literally erasing shows entire existences because "debt", is it really a shock to you that they don't want to buy up another company

Just surprising that they made such a big deal of hyping it even before the deal was sealed (the new CEO specifically called it out as part of the 10-year plan on the earnings call) and are willing to sign a 10-year contract with Lin and his production company, but not just buy the company outright.

If the entire 10-year plan of your major franchise hinged on this guy and you've been promoting him since before he even agreed to do it, then it seems kind of wild to be willing to sign 10-year contracts for millions of dollars, but let the entire thing fall apart over buying the company vs. giving them a 10-year contract.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
buying the company incurs debt

honestly lin is the dumb one here, he really overplayed his hand considering the other moves discovery has been making

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While it’s obviously true that the big point of the shared universe is brand identity I think there’s an obvious plus to origin stories and starting small. Comic book fans always tend to go to that “just start in the middle with everything established” thing but like that’s a lot of world preestablished. I’m not saying you can’t make a good movie like that but you’re definitely gonna have some audience that feels like they came into the story midway through. What the MCU has so effectively done is make comic book stuff that extends to an audience way beyond comic book fans. And I think a big part of that is that it started with what felt like a beginning (or a whole bunch of beginnings) so even when there’s a movie that is very sequels and connected there’s a huge audience who is already caught up.

Like it’s weird how one of the big criticisms of the MCU is that it’s gotten too interconnected and relies on you being familiar with other stuff to understand new stuff. But then there’s also the argument that comic book movies should just dive in to established worlds. Marvels basically got there now but they showed their work (and made a fortune and built brand loyalty in the process).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If DC had someone steering the ship they could always split the difference. We all know the trinity, no reason they can't keep making Battinson movies in their own universe while Booster Gold puts together the JLI or whatever.