Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yale is need-blind and a full-need/no-loans. The average person gets 2/3 of their costs covered by the school.

The whole ivy league is like that, but the framing is a little disengenuos. You have to fill out a poo poo load of FAFSA and other forms about all your assets and the assets of your parents. After the school has finished crawling all the way up your rear end in a top hat financially, they know exactly how much you "can" pay from personal assets, pre-approved government subsidized loans, and government grants, so then the top line sticker price is reduced to that level with a bunch of internal grants and scholarships. Now they've maximized revenue from every single customer and given themselves a pat on the back for being so generous.

If buying a car meant having a dealership audit the finances or me and my family to figure out exactly how much money we can all pay monthly for a car without going broke, charging me exactly that, and then colluding with all the other car dealers in town to sell cars the same way, we'd call it abusive and illegal price fixing. For universities it's called a noble commitment to making higher education affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I've always wondered for FAFSA type stuff - what if your parents have substantial means, but refuse to provide any assistance with paying for college?

My dad was wealthy and paid for my undergrad, but only because the divorce agreement legally obligated him to do so. If it had been totally up to him then he would have given me lectures about bootstraps while refusing to give me a cent for college. I know this because it's exactly what happened with my older siblings who went to college before my parents divorced.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm like a BM (bowel movement) with M(oney).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kefit posted:

I've always wondered for FAFSA type stuff - what if your parents have substantial means, but refuse to provide any assistance with paying for college?

It means you're hosed. IIRC the only recourse is getting yourself declared legally emancipated, but it's been 20 years so maybe things have changed since I went to college. I can no longer recall the arbitrary amount of money FAFSA said I'd get from my parent for college but the actual amount was $0.

Edit: here are the actual criteria that determine whether you are an 'independent student': https://studentaid.gov/2122/help/need-parent-info

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 7, 2022

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kefit posted:

My dad was wealthy and paid for my undergrad, but only because the divorce agreement legally obligated him to do so. If it had been totally up to him then he would have given me lectures about bootstraps while refusing to give me a cent for college. I know this because it's exactly what happened with my older siblings who went to college before my parents divorced.

congrats to your mom

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kefit posted:

IIRC, there's a distinction wherein you can indicate in FAFSA now that your parents decline to provide help for you, but CSS Profile says you must include parental assets into the consideration. Depends on what your school goes with, I guess, on which one your school uses as primary?

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

rjmccall posted:

congrats to your mom

Tell me about it. My mom is very GWM, including how much she got out of my dad in the very justified divorce.

The cherry on top of my wealthy dad's miserly life is that he passed away earlier this year and now my step-mom has 100% control of all his assets. It's unlikely me or my siblings will ever see any of that money.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I didn’t know Yale gave scholarships for MBAs. I always thought that program (along with Law school) was the money-maker for universities.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Top business schools bring in about $100 million per year in MBA tuition. They have room to be charitable.

(And of courses universities aren't for-profit institutions, so their mission isn't to make as much money as possible even if it looks like that sometimes.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

lifg posted:

I didn’t know Yale gave scholarships for MBAs. I always thought that program (along with Law school) was the money-maker for universities.

You're also counting on some degree of a return on scholarships in donations etc for programs like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Terrible decisions to co-sign car loans with family members are common, but I think this is the first one where the car in question is going to be used in a high-speed police chase:

quote:

I co-signed for a car for my sister and…

A few years back i co-signed for my sisters car in order for her to purchase it. She was independent, responsible and making more money than me at the time. So i didn’t second guess that she will keep up with her payments. Now, she’s fallen so behind in life and hasn’t been paying the car note. She did a whole 180 and now completely the opposite as i described. Jobless, homeless, making impulsive decisions.. I’ve gotten numerous of letters in the mail that the lender is waiting for payment.

Now she’s over $2000 deep, and they are going to sell the car and is sending a repo out for it. I would update her on the letters and would tell her, even though i am considered responsible for car as well, I will not pay a dime for her to keep it. I don’t need the car, yet she needs it more than ever considering she now technically homeless. I have my own car that i’m still financing on and don’t make enough to cover hers and mine. I just decided that whatever happens, happens if the car is found and they take it.

The only thing that is effecting me from it is my credit score. it’s terrible. I never would’ve seen any of this coming from what use to be the most responsible person i knew and grew up with. If anyone knows how i can break my name from her car , pls let me know. It’s unfortunate that i put my trust in her and now it’s going to effect me in the long run (buying a house, business loans, credit cards, etc). Eventually, when the time comes , i can maybe take it off my credit report.

quote:

When you cosigned, you assumed responsibility for the loan. It will continue to effect you the same as her until it is paid off or settled through repossession or some other process. The negative effects will stay in your credit report for seven years. It is unlikely you can get it taken off because you are legally just as responsible for it as she is.

quote:

They can sue you for the debt, just so you know.

quote:

quote:

I’m definitely gonna have a long chat with the lender. These consequences sound painful. I do NOT want to deal with any of that in the future. But i’m definitely learning as i’m going, the hard way of course. Thank you

It’s unlikely to be that long of a chat. You signed for the debt and have been ignoring the notices for some time.

quote:

I don't mean to kick you while you're down, but it's important that everyone else can learn from this experience. If your sister was so responsible, she never would have needed a cosigner. In fact, ironically, by cosigning, may have actually harmed her more than you helped, by assisting in locking her into a financial contract that she was unable to handle.

As far as your position, well... you're screwed. The best option you have right now is to work with the lender to get the payments current so they'll call off the repo, then convince your sister to sell the car. I know this isn't going to happen, so ...

Option 2. Car gets repoed, then auctioned for quite a bit less than it's worth. Whatever amount they get for the auction will be applied to the remaining balance, plus interest, plus repo fees, plus fee fees, etc etc and then YOU will probably get sued for the rest. So that judgement will end up on your credit as well. Then... start the clock. 10 years for the judgement to fall off your credit report. The rest of the payment history will fall off after 7. So if you want to avoid the judgement, be ready to pay off the difference before they sue you.

And yeah, don't cosign for anyone ever again. Hope that goes without saying.

quote:

quote:

Either start paying the loan or as the cosigner reposes it and sell it before the bank does. If the bank reposes the car they just send it off to auction and you'll still be liable for the difference that they get which will be a fraction of the street value of the car. For example if the car is worth $18,000 and the remaining balance of the loan is $12,000 if it sells for $8,000 at auction then you and your sister will still owe the bank $4,000.

If the bank is not interested in pursuing either of you for the $4k then they can write it off as a loss which counts as taxable income to at least your sister (not sure if it counts as income for a cosigner)

They’re in the process of trying to auction it now. yet they’re still giving us the option to pay the total amount past due. I’d rather be responsible for any difference of amount after they sell it to be honest. little debt over the bigger debt.

quote:

Bank auctions won’t fetch top dollar for the car, especially after fees. Getting the car from your sister and selling it yourself would likely save a lot of money. There is no little debt over bigger debt since you’re already responsible for the entire balance.

quote:

quote:

Only way for you to take your name off the car is for her to refinance it, which isn't happening

Tell me about it. She’s on the run so they won’t find the car. She’s completely ignoring my messages and warnings. i’m kind of praying that they find it and take it so i can know what to do next.

quote:

I’m sorry this has happened to you. As others have pointed out, it’s not her debt - it belongs to BOTH of you. There’s no “taking your name off” of anything. You’re legally responsible for this. Co-signing a loan is not an act of kindness for a family member, it’s a legal and financial responsibility. I think many here would say to never do it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have zero knowledge of Yale MBA scholarships policies, but I'm guessing only a tiny proportion of students pay significantly less than sticker, and it's primarily reserved for attracting top URM candidates away from Harvard/Stanford/Wharton.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Aren't most MBAs corporate sponsored for employees? If a student is having their tuition paid by their employer, there's probably not a lot of questions about aid or scholarships. That's more to go around for the self-paid students at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't most MBAs corporate sponsored for employees?

not ones that are any good

yeah i mean the vast majority of Strayer MBAs are corporate sponsored but like those are just absolute dog poo poo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I mean it's pretty common for places like McKinsey/BCG/Bain to pay for analysts to get their MBAs with the promise to return afterwards. No idea what percent of an MBA class (at good places) is made up of people like that though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I mean it's pretty common for places like McKinsey/BCG/Bain to pay for analysts to get their MBAs with the promise to return afterwards. No idea what percent of an MBA class (at good places) is made up of people like that though.

I'd estimate that my wife's T10 cohort was maybe 20% sponsored.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Executive MBAs are generally sponsored and those are very expensive. Paying for that program yourself is extremely BWM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Executive MBAs are generally sponsored and those are very expensive. Paying for that program yourself is extremely BWM.

oh yeah the part timers were almost entirely sponsored

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're also counting on some degree of a return on scholarships in donations etc for programs like that.

This matters, but also a school's reputation is also highly dependent on its graduates, so these programs want people who are going to go out there and make them look good. It's worth being flexible on tuition for someone who's likely to be a net positive for whichever program they attend.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Sirotan posted:

It means you're hosed. IIRC the only recourse is getting yourself declared legally emancipated, but it's been 20 years so maybe things have changed since I went to college. I can no longer recall the arbitrary amount of money FAFSA said I'd get from my parent for college but the actual amount was $0.

Edit: here are the actual criteria that determine whether you are an 'independent student': https://studentaid.gov/2122/help/need-parent-info

It used to be (and maybe still is) if you filled out your FASFA and claimed to be an independent student you could only take out the higher rate student loans until the university's enrollment department verified your status and if you were under 24 it was very difficult to actually get independent status unless you're an obvious hard luck case like both your parents were dead.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

An actual SEC filing posted:

As you all know, we are joined by Patrick Orlando, CEO of Digital World Acquisition Corp. Uh, but before we get started in anything, we’re gonna go into the word of God, because there’s no reason to put aside the word of God for anything, cuz he is first and foremost in our lives. Okay, so I’m gonna, I have a really short one today. It is Proverbs 23:23, and I think you’ll really enjoy this one Patrick. Get the truth and never sell it. Also, get wisdom, discipline and good judgment, because that’s what we’re doing herefolks. We literally <laugh>, a s, as a team of investors, we have bought into truth and we are never selling because we are diamond-handed hodlers. So let’s have a quick prayer and then we’re gonna get into this. Father in heaven, we thank you for this morning and we thank you that you have sent Patrick to us, to give us direction on how to continue to fight. Lord, we thank you that you are blessing this investment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can't wait for the diamond-handed snake hodlers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lego released a Lego version of the Harry Potter train.

It is $800 and was back-ordered within 2 hours of releasing.

They have since put up a purchase limit on it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It’s $500 God-fearing American dollars. Not that it makes it any less BWM (or BWL from the Rowling perspective).

EDIT: and it still seems to be in stock and available to order stateside, so hopefully fewer people than expected are funding her.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s $500 God-fearing American dollars. Not that it makes it any less BWM (or BWL from the Rowling perspective).

EDIT: and it still seems to be in stock and available to order stateside, so hopefully fewer people than expected are funding her.

Yeah, still pretty wild. Someone linked the Australian version with their fake dollery-doos and I didn't notice because the Australian and U.S. versions are both hosted on the same lego.com address.

https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/hogwarts-express-collectors-edition-76405

I know that Australians get hosed on electronics, but a 60% price increase from American dollars for a Lego set is pretty punishing to the poor Aussie train/lego enthusiasts. The currency difference is only around 45%.

Edit: Weirdly, they have implemented a household limit of 2 for Aussies, but not for Americans.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 8, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Kefit posted:

lol the only reason i was able to go to college is because i got married at 20 and was able to get the full student loan amount per semester. if you're not considered "independent" (over 26, or married, or military), you can only get half the amount of stafford loans. i went to a state school on in-state tuition and i still had another ~$2k every semester to pay beyond my student loans coverage, as an independent student. frankly, if i'd had to wait until 26 to start, i would never have gone.

edit: i'm also kind of a dummy and was a high school dropout at the time, so ymmv if you're not a waste of space in your teens. if you are tho, lol. other than loans, there was no financial assistance available for me. in my third year, i got a scholarship of $1k a year for my (at the time) 3.9 GPA, and then lost it because I blew a 3.6 the following semester 🤗

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, still pretty wild. Someone linked the Australian version with their fake dollery-doos and I didn't notice because the Australian and U.S. versions are both hosted on the same lego.com address.

https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/hogwarts-express-collectors-edition-76405

I know that Australians get hosed on electronics, but a 60% price increase from American dollars for a Lego set is pretty punishing to the poor Aussie train/lego enthusiasts. The currency difference is only around 45%.

Edit: Weirdly, they have implemented a household limit of 2 for Aussies, but not for Americans.

I'm sure the dollarydoo price includes 10% GST so it's not that far off.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lego is a goddamn money printer.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kefit posted:

My parents were declared by FAFSA to be completely capable of covering my education so no grants or subsidized loans. They weren't willing to contribute or cosign parent plus loans. I wasn't able to attend the top 3 choices that I was admitted to because I had no way to pay.

I ended up at a state school half way across the country that offered a niche full ride scholarship. They were under threat from losing ABET accreditation my first three years but in the end I ended up teaching things to professors, doing all kinds of networking, and graduating 3rd in my class. I probably would have needed to avoid all kinds of personal growth and networking to hit middle of the pack at my top choice school.

In my experience, it really narrows your options but parental income skews so many metrics that you'll still end up above average.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lego released a Lego version of the Harry Potter train.

It is $800 and was back-ordered within 2 hours of releasing.

They have since put up a purchase limit on it.

It's because the resell for complete sets is like 2x the msrp.

Legos are insanely GWM because if you get one at retail you will double your money no question.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kefit posted:

in undergrad i had an acquaintance who was dealing with something like this. instead of going through the emancipation process, she married the guy she met in her freshman year because that apparently has the same effect with less paperwork. when i ran into them at a wedding a decade later they were still together, so hopefully it all continued to work out for them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pentyne posted:

It's because the resell for complete sets is like 2x the msrp.

Legos are insanely GWM because if you get one at retail you will double your money no question.

So, what I'm hearing is that I should be maxing out my limit of 2 purchases on the $800 Harry Potter train right now or else I'm losing money?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

So, what I'm hearing is that I should be maxing out my limit of 2 purchases on the $800 Harry Potter train right now or else I'm losing money?

Yes, and (this is important) you need to put it all on credit.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Could someone co-sign with me for all of these Lego sets?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Business idea: Beanie Baby NFTs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

8one6 posted:

Only if you admit to buying it for the glass skull it comes in.

Did exactly this and gave the vodka away. No regrets.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Kefit posted:

This is when the GWM thing is to get married. Once you are married, as long as your parents can't claim you as a dependent, you don't have to deal with claiming them on FAFSA.

This is how I no longer had to report my mom's business assets that screwed all things FAFSA.

Edit: apparently I should catch up on the thread before posting.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 8, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Pinus Porcus posted:

This is when the GWM thing is to get married. Once you are married, as long as your parents can't claim you as a dependent, you don't have to deal with claiming them on FAFSA.

This is how I no longer had to report my mom's business assets that screwed all things FAFSA.

Edit: apparently I should catch up on the thread before posting.

pretty much, yep.
i'm still married 13 years later to the same person, so good on 20 year old me for making a decent decision! if i had to go back and do things differently, i'd make some different career decisions, but i'd do the marriage again. i will tell anyone under the age of ~25 to not get married tho. let that brain keep baking a little longer, it ain't done yet.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Pinus Porcus posted:

Yeah…..uhhhh……I would think very long and very hard about getting married in order to get your parents’ income off of FASFA. Why? I did it in 1986 and thought I was brilliant for coming up with the idea. After the divorce in 1993, I was less certain of the idea.

Getting married very young rarely works out in the long haul these days, and getting through college and trying to cope with immaturity-related marital strife while studying and working a part-time job is no walk in the park. Plus, divorce in general is usually BWM for both parties. Yes, I know people’s grandparents got married at 15 and had 65 years of bliss, but things aren’t the same as they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Getting married for financial benefits" doesn't mean you have to go all-in on intimacy and stuff. Three years of studies, avoid commingling assets, an amicable divorce and then move on.