Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Here's your "consider going into this color for" cards. As you can see, White and Blue have the most to offer, followed by Black. Stall for Time, Protect the Negotiators and Tolarian Geyser are also in both of those colors, so that's great!

I think an aggro UW deck with all the marked cards could go places. That's 19 playables already. Include the Vanguards, the Herbalist, and the Love Song, and you're at 23, that's a possible deck. Your curve would be insanely low, so perhaps consider playing 16 lands instead and add the Drawbridge or Academy Wall.

In this version of the deck, I'd include the Sacred Peaks on the off-chance that you can kick the Mystics, and you're good to go. Maybe another mountain, it is a pretty strong effect once you are running out of steam.

Another version of the deck adds black, for the three hard removal spells and perhaps War-Leech and Warhorse, as well as Elas il-Kor. You easily have the taplands for that, making it a simple expansion of the aggro core, though of course it means you could have more awkward draws. Much stronger in the end, though, to get through board stalls. I would also consider playing Necromass in this version, and trading aggressively.

Then we have to consider the bomb approach, of which you have Defiler of Vigor, Mossbeard Ancient, and Bonerattle. There is a great core for this deck with these cards + the marked green ones + pretty much every other green card (as permanents for the Defiler) + the same black cards discussed above, but I think a GB deck would be much weaker, and there is nothing "linking" it to your actual strongest colors. You have zero white or blue cards with a black OR green kicker. You also lose out on extremely good cards in Stall for Time, Citizen's Arrest and the blue 1cc tricks + Geyser. So my advice would be to let go of the bomb plan and just make a sicknasty aggro/tempo deck which flies and runs all over them before they can play their slow sealed 4-color pile.

EDIT: see previous page for more suggestions. I disagree with a BG plan, see above. Also everybody whining, post their pools! This is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

quite stretched out posted:

can you even quit and rejoin for a new pile or are you just screwed

Its unlimited games, so eventually you'll get opponents that draw worse than you 3 times. Play around with your build too. I was just changing my deck to complete quests, and see how things work even if they didn't look like the best things I could be doing.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wall Decks doing some work in limited right now. Common artifact wall that can go and get the uncommon Wingmate Chaplain, lol

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was 0-5 with what looked like a really good GW tokens deck, figured I'd try UG with some flyers and some spells but no removal and went 3-0 easily.

The whole point is to let you play infinite games with your pool and see for yourself what does and doesn't work. I almost wish the event had like, 5 sets of rewards and instead of wins it was "cast 5 white spells, cast 5 blue spells" etc.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

A Moose posted:

Its unlimited games, so eventually you'll get opponents that draw worse than you 3 times. Play around with your build too. I was just changing my deck to complete quests, and see how things work even if they didn't look like the best things I could be doing.

sorry i wasnt asking for me, i managed to get thru pretty quick. just a general question about midweek magic formats where its draft/sealed vs bring whatever deck etc

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The alternative in a free event is everyone slamming "resign" until they open busted packs.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't they do a weekend event for infinite "free" sealed decks a while back? I didn't really notice any more broken decks than usual. though I think they might have just removed the resign button for that event, since it was phantom and paid out 100 gold total, which was how much it cost to play

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: see previous page for more suggestions. I disagree with a BG plan, see above.

I disagree with your face

you're probably right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lords of Limited: "Double pip cards are extra difficult to consider in this format"

Wish I had listened to this before last night lol. Feel pretty good about my picks based on their top blue and white commons though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kalel posted:

I disagree with your face

you're probably right
bitch

it's a free event with no consequences, they should just try both decks and see which performs better - hell, play more games after you already got your three wins just to see what makes a good Sealed deck in this format!

wei
Jul 27, 2006

quite stretched out posted:

i have this sealed pool that i opened for the midweek phantom sealed thing with two immediately dead-feeling rares/mythics before i even looked at the rest of my cards (timeless lotus and rivaz of the claw (cos i didnt open any dragons)) if you want to have a look

https://sealeddeck.tech/hOiozlEwUB

i ended up building this out of it and i think it took me 5 matches total to get the 3 wins? there is probably something better in there but im still very fresh coming back to the game and also was trying to build it on the mobile client lol

https://sealeddeck.tech/ULKFNWc7IC

e: you can tell i was doing it in the mobile client cos i for some reason ran it with 42 cards lol

Yeah this is a tough pool. It's light on interaction and most of it is in a shallow colour.

In your build I would have run more duals and the Rootwallas, they're pretty good.
I would have built base UG https://sealeddeck.tech/bR83p2bSrL. Between the fliers, Tatyova, Outrider and combat tricks you can do a lot of damage out of nowhere.
There's this cute reanimator thing https://sealeddeck.tech/xYK97MnFDF that almost comes together but we don't have enough good targets.

SalTheBard posted:

I know I don't ever offer help (thats because I'm terrible at Limited BUT I TRY!)

I have this sealed pool that I think might be the hottest piece of poo poo ever, I'm having trouble even trying to figure out what direction to go. Could anyone please offer me advice?

I like BGx https://sealeddeck.tech/BO15JdgvBp for the self mill package it has going. I'm putting a lot of creatures in so the Writhing Necromasses get cheap fast and we get 9 green creatures that can trigger Defiler.

wei fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

I like BGx https://sealeddeck.tech/BO15JdgvBp for the self mill package it has going. I'm putting a lot of creatures in so the Writhing Necromasses get cheap fast and we get 9 green creatures that can trigger Defiler.

yeah I agree

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flatluigi posted:

there should probably be a dedicated spellslingers thread if people are actually playing it

I watched the trailer and I still have no idea what kind of game it is.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Any advice on this draft pool?

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

Rule of thumb is that double pip isn't splashable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MeinPanzer posted:

Don't have time right now to do a full breakdown but you misbuilt this deck by at least 6 cards, please don't play it without getting further advice (I might have time in a couple hours if nobody else gets to it)

e: NO do not splash paragon

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

out: flowstone infusion, mana filter guy, the 1/1 green kicker guy
in: 2x lightning strike, Rona's Vortex, UB dual

don't splash paragon and there are probably other changes to make but that is what I see immediately

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How bout this draft?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/4df31081db7044668f1590ac06c91f4a

I feel like taking out the red cards is the right call (though with the red kickers I'm still splashing red so maybe Sprouting Goblin at least is worth it) but it leaves me kinda light on 2 drops and maybe a little over-represented on 1s? BUt I feel like Combat Research is worth it with a couple of reasonable fliers, and the 1-drop non-permanents are there fore Micromancer.

The draft was pretty ew, annoyingly. Opening with Jhoira, and seeing two of the lords, as well, red and white, red being pretty much useless and white being unplayable with the cards I had at the time. Finishing a draft with 0 rare/mythic cards feels so bad, but I think/hope I might have made up for it in uncommons.

I'm 9/15 in DMU limited so far, but even if this one tanks I'll have another run tomorrow.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 7, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Lone Goat posted:

Don't have time right now to do a full breakdown but you misbuilt this deck by at least 6 cards, please don't play it without getting further advice (I might have time in a couple hours if nobody else gets to it)

e: NO do not splash paragon

Kashuno posted:

out: flowstone infusion, mana filter guy, the 1/1 green kicker guy
in: 2x lightning strike, Rona's Vortex, UB dual

don't splash paragon and there are probably other changes to make but that is what I see immediately

Thanks! I don't draft much so I'll take any advice I can get.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My last trainwreck draft ended 2-3 which was more than I could hope for lol. Gone again and ended up in UW again but with a red splash this time. Thoughts?

Deck:

Pool:

Sorry for the mobile screenshots.. it's the only way I can play the game :(

Also, hidden at the bottom of the 2 drop slot is a Hero's Heirloom which I thought would be cute with Danitha, but really aught to be something else I suppose

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 7, 2022

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

fridge corn posted:

My last trainwreck draft ended 2-3 which was more than I could hope for lol. Gone again and ended up in UW again but with a red splash this time. Thoughts?
Also, hidden at the bottom of the 2 drop slot is a Hero's Heirloom which I thought would be cute with Danitha, but really aught to be something else I suppose

Probably would be easier to post this to sealeddeck tech is that's something you're capable of doing. Someone suggested you'd like to have at least 3 legendary creatures to run Hero's Heirloom so you're probably fine to play it. Looks like you're game plan is primarily to win through the air. I think the problem you'll most likely face is surviving early to setup your win con. I would consider cutting Impede Momentum, Argivian Phalanx and Frostfall Strider for Essence Scatter, Impulse, and Clockwork Bridge.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I am playing sealed because quick draft is not DOM right now.

Sealed is also nice because for 2000 gems you get 1800 in packs and 200 in gems if you immediately bomb 0-3. Any wins at all is a positive return.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This format feels tough. Got at least a 5-3 this afternoon, but last night a group of friends and I went a combined 2-9 (!) streaming to each other and discussing picks. There are a lot of individually powerful cards in the set, but there are going to be a ton of synergy decks out there that also have powerful individual cards. Even decks that seemed decent by prior format standards got obliterated. The only decks I've had any success with so far are UBx control decks absolutely loaded with removal and card draw.

Also, pick dual lands very highly.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Levin posted:

Probably would be easier to post this to sealeddeck tech is that's something you're capable of doing. Someone suggested you'd like to have at least 3 legendary creatures to run Hero's Heirloom so you're probably fine to play it. Looks like you're game plan is primarily to win through the air. I think the problem you'll most likely face is surviving early to setup your win con. I would consider cutting Impede Momentum, Argivian Phalanx and Frostfall Strider for Essence Scatter, Impulse, and Clockwork Bridge.

Ah I've never tried sealed deck tech. Something like this? https://sealeddeck.tech/XPv20hk3W5

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got a pretty good setup, went 3-0 in the midweek madness.

All 3 games ended with me double-kicking Archangel to get the last 6 damage I needed to win.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Got a pretty good setup, went 3-0 in the midweek madness.

All 3 games ended with me double-kicking Archangel to get the last 6 damage I needed to win.
How in any universe did you not play Missionaries, Stall for Time, and Phalanx, all on color and fully kickable?!! You played Sleeper over Missionary?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

How in any universe did you not play Missionaries, Stall for Time, and Phalanx, all on color and fully kickable?!! You played Sleeper over Missionary?

I am notoriously bad at all things draft and assessing what is and isn't good. I also tend to overvalue removal/evasion, but I went with my gut and it got me W's. :shrug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

I am notoriously bad at all things draft and assessing what is and isn't good. I went with my gut and it got me W's. :shrug:
Congrats of course, it was just really sending me lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Simply Simon posted:

Or Danitha...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

paging the deck doctors. after loving around in the freebie mwm phantom sealed I entered an event for the real deal (bo3) and I think my pool is less than stellar

configuration 1 is esper, config 2 is rg splashing b

I think the first has better card quality but the second is more consistent (except for the black splash which feels necessary for lack of creatures (e: maybe I should change this to a white splash)). I might side into one or the other depending on the matchup but I'm curious what the thread thinks

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 7, 2022

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Corbeau posted:

This format feels tough. Got at least a 5-3 this afternoon, but last night a group of friends and I went a combined 2-9 (!) streaming to each other and discussing picks. There are a lot of individually powerful cards in the set, but there are going to be a ton of synergy decks out there that also have powerful individual cards. Even decks that seemed decent by prior format standards got obliterated. The only decks I've had any success with so far are UBx control decks absolutely loaded with removal and card draw.

Also, pick dual lands very highly.

I agree with this and have had little to no success with aggressive decks. Unless you can capitalize on a really slow start, the other decks can get their defense up and start doing way more powerful stuff. All the black and/or white token decks I try need to get just the right mix of token makers and payoff to work and are underwhelming otherwise. Green based domain, with usually blue or red as the secondary color has been the best for me so far.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I genuinely appreciate all the help from this thread. I will report back after I'm done!

EDIT

Went 1-3 :(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 8, 2022

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I'm as close to mono-w as I can get, correct? Looks like almost every card is playable and good. Not sure on if I should look to splash something else, red seemed to fit the theme and curve the best. Do I splash w/x taplands for the two domain cards? Didn't seem worth it

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/bb4799fd71cc40448c40ec9cfdb2890e/1

Pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/bb4799fd71cc40448c40ec9cfdb2890e

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

wei posted:

Yeah this is a tough pool. It's light on interaction and most of it is in a shallow colour.

In your build I would have run more duals and the Rootwallas, they're pretty good.
I would have built base UG https://sealeddeck.tech/bR83p2bSrL. Between the fliers, Tatyova, Outrider and combat tricks you can do a lot of damage out of nowhere.
There's this cute reanimator thing https://sealeddeck.tech/xYK97MnFDF that almost comes together but we don't have enough good targets.

neat thanks for the insight. hope you don't get as tough a set of packs to work with!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Ah I've never tried sealed deck tech. Something like this? https://sealeddeck.tech/XPv20hk3W5

Tough call. I'd consider cutting Frostfist Strider for Love Song maybe? Hero's Heirloom may still be a consideration to cut even if it's playable, if you include it then Baird becomes more tempting to include with it as you have a way to activate him consistently. Deck might also just be more effective as a streamlined UW deck though.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

kalel posted:

paging the deck doctors. after loving around in the freebie mwm phantom sealed I entered an event for the real deal (bo3) and I think my pool is less than stellar

configuration 1 is esper, config 2 is rg splashing b

I think the first has better card quality but the second is more consistent (except for the black splash which feels necessary for lack of creatures (e: maybe I should change this to a white splash)). I might side into one or the other depending on the matchup but I'm curious what the thread thinks

https://sealeddeck.tech/aefhyNhgBU BGx looks pretty good to me. Could see cutting Meteorite for Tribute, Strike or Might.

Squiggly posted:

I'm as close to mono-w as I can get, correct? Looks like almost every card is playable and good. Not sure on if I should look to splash something else, red seemed to fit the theme and curve the best. Do I splash w/x taplands for the two domain cards? Didn't seem worth it

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/bb4799fd71cc40448c40ec9cfdb2890e/1

Pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/bb4799fd71cc40448c40ec9cfdb2890e

https://sealeddeck.tech/LByhVbmuxP

Splashing the Green cards that contribute to the plan makes running Domain worthwhile and 6 taplands is fine. We don't need removal that doesn't remove blockers (Artillery Blast, Runic Shot) when we're trying to be the beatdown.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm currently playing this joker with a 200+ card counter/removal deck that has no creatures. I'm going to just play it out and let him deck me.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I'm very new to sealed, I'd love some advice on this deck

https://sealeddeck.tech/IEsbvaWKKM

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wolfman101 posted:

I am playing sealed because quick draft is not DOM right now.

Sealed is also nice because for 2000 gems you get 1800 in packs and 200 in gems if you immediately bomb 0-3. Any wins at all is a positive return.

Yeah this is why I jam sealed a bunch for sets I enjoy right after release. For 2 sealed tokens and 5000 gems(when I started doing sealeds) I've net 60 packs plus all the cards I got in the opened sealed packs. It doesn't feel nearly as bad as bombing out of a draft to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm sure my draft has plenty to be savaged, but this could be a fun, smaller game. What's the P1P2? All of them have similar win rates according to Limited Grades.

I ended up with Tolarian Geyser, which, thinking about it, is probably wrong because UG isn't a great color pair and GB is far more solid. I ended up in GB, and the hard removal would have been nice. So it goes.

If it needed saying, P1P1 was rough. Rare was Phasing of Zhalfir, uncommons were that, coalition skyknight, and Baird, notable commons were Soultender, Bite Down, Impulse, and Phyrexian Rager (either of those last two might've been better picks, but I feel more comfortable in green, and think its just a more flexible color to start in. And I don't think they blow strength of the coalition out of the water).