Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

That joke is Ariel groaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
This reminds me of the time my friend who “knows motorcycles” was looking at the CB750 I’d bought and told me the radiator on it was waaay too small.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373956007714

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have exactly zero bad feelings about giving money to these people, for sure

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's time for new brake pads; how dumb would it be to only replace the pads given the disc looks like this?

To clarify, I haven't noticed any pulsing or shaking even when braking hard, it's just worn very unevenly. The other side looks about the same.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 6, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I've got a 1971 Yamaha LT2 here, after 15 years of ownership... It's finally got a problem that doesn't respond to some starter fluid or a carb clean. It's lost spark and I'm looking to replace the points and condensor. That means pulling the flywheel... But what flywheel puller do I need? I already ordered the most common one on Amazon ( the 24/27mm model ) but since I already spent the money, and the points are still in the mail, I'm asking what flywheel puller I should have bought.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's time for new brake pads; how dumb would it be to only replace the pads given the disc looks like this?

To clarify, I haven't noticed any pulsing or shaking even when braking hard, it's just worn very unevenly. The other side looks about the same.

If your fingernail gets caught in the ridges you have to replace them afaik.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's hosed.

Nerobro posted:

I've got a 1971 Yamaha LT2 here, after 15 years of ownership... It's finally got a problem that doesn't respond to some starter fluid or a carb clean. It's lost spark and I'm looking to replace the points and condensor. That means pulling the flywheel... But what flywheel puller do I need? I already ordered the most common one on Amazon ( the 24/27mm model ) but since I already spent the money, and the points are still in the mail, I'm asking what flywheel puller I should have bought.

Got a vernier? Try to measure the thread diameter and go from there, they are usually 1mm thread pitch.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Aw rats. To recap, the symptom was burning hot rotors and roasted brake pads. Cause was assumed to be misaligned rear wheel and/or brakes dragging. I aligned the wheel, no change in symptoms. Brakes dragging is either mechanical or hydraulic. Couldn’t see anything obviously wrong mechanically with the pedal/pushrod actuating the MC, and the caliper slides freely on the pins and the caliper pistons can return without much trouble, so it was assumed to be a hydraulic problem. The reservoir was not overfilled, but the brake fluid was found to be yellow (DOT3/4) and not purple (DOT5) like it says on the MC reservoir cap, which would cause the MC seals to swell and apply constant pressure on the pads.

However, before ripping out the rear MC and rebuilding it, just in case, I did a little science :science: experiment and pulled some brake fluid out of the reservoir and mixed it with water, and… the fluids stayed separated. So it IS actually DOT5 in there.

(reservoir is low after removing above fluid)

Now I’m not sure how to proceed. The MC was rebuilt by the dealership in April of this year (6 months ago), and maybe it’s fine? What can I test next?

More notes: Since picking this bike up (6 months ago), the brakes always kinda sucked, and needed a lot of pull at the lever/pedal to result in adequate braking force. I didn’t expect that from a dual-front-caliper setup. The bike is also 17 years old. I don’t know how long the pads have been toast.

epswing fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 7, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here is what I know:

The brakes drag
You have eliminated mechanical causes
The dealership rebuilt the MC

QED it's time to rebuild the MC.

Consider: what if they used dot4 rated seals?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Consider: what if they used dot4 rated seals?

I already purchased a MC rebuild kit from the dealership what if it also has DOT4 seals and I’m doomed to rebuild the MC every 6 months forever :ohdear:

That would be pretty hilarious actually :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I test ride something with linked brakes, does that even remotely factor into my consideration when braking? Or is that just a “no, forget it exists, just ride like you were taught and it’ll do what it needs to do” thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

If I test ride something with linked brakes, does that even remotely factor into my consideration when braking? Or is that just a “no, forget it exists, just ride like you were taught and it’ll do what it needs to do” thing?

Be mindful of doing the low speed rear brake dragging thing as it can cause the front to grab and make you fall over.

Also if you're a habitual heavy trail breaker be prepared for the rear to step out right when you don't want it to.

E: why does autocorrect insist and be abs?!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 7, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s mostly transparent in my experience, but that experience is with two massive goldwings. Maybe it’s different on smaller bikes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alright, thank you. Doubt I will be doing anything taxing during a quick test ride, but I'll be cautious just in case. Some subsequent googling suggests some bikes may only link during front brake use while rear solely works the rear (??), so I guess it somewhat depends on what I'll be testing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linked brakes are a fundamentally dumb and pointless thing and thus there is no 'right' way of making them, meaning there's a variety of exciting wrong and dumb implementations!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aren't linked brakes a way to get around not having ABS on like little bikes and scoots in places where abs is required?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Aren't linked brakes a way to get around not having ABS on like little bikes and scoots in places where abs is required?

Yes, because some genius with a power point convinced legislators they were more or less the same thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

Yes, because some genius with a power point convinced legislators they were more or less the same thing.

More likely a company with a wad of cash convinced legislators that it will do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

They aren’t too intrusive on the vfr, in fact when I’m lazy I don’t even use the rear brake pedal cause I tell myself giving lots of front will activate the back brake. The rear brake has a really aggro abs on it but I’ve never activated it from the front

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The data I have suggests that Hondas implementation is the best, just from people generally not complaining about it.

Its a way to get around ABS as well as force boomers to use the front brake

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I don't hate it on my scooter, which is probably the perfect use case. There's just no way to make a cheapish scooter have ABS at a reasonable price point. Especially if you're looking at the 50cc market.

Probably even better if it didn't have it at all, but mine has pretty good brakes for what it is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The data I have suggests that Hondas implementation is the best, just from people generally not complaining about it.

Its a way to get around ABS as well as force boomers to use the front brake

Hondas implementation is consistently the best I agree, they actually think about what it'll be like to use. Even on the scooters it works quite well, a good comparison is the burg vs the silverwing, on the burg the front bite from the rear lever is noticably intrusive imo. The PCX150 probably has the best linked system I've experienced.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s mostly transparent in my experience, but that experience is with two massive goldwings. Maybe it’s different on smaller bikes

I don’t really notice it on the NC750, but that bike is hyper focused on being as unobtrusive as possible.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Any advice on getting caliper pistons out? Should I pump them (almost) out, drain fluid, remove caliper, then wiggle them out? Or drain the fluid, remove caliper, and hit it with compressed air? I see there's a "brake caliper piston removal tool" that looks like inverted pliers with padding, is that one more "gadget" I don't need, or are these actually the right way to go? Is a set of standard pliers with a rag to protect the piston a big no-no?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The caliper tool is of limited effectiveness but it definitely helps at the last stage. I pump them out as far as they'll go without popping then take the caliper off and wiggle them out, if one is reluctant I'll keep the rest blocked in and use compressed air to get the stuck one out. Don't try to grab them from the outside with a tool, you'll just gently caress them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

epswing posted:

Any advice on getting caliper pistons out? Should I pump them (almost) out, drain fluid, remove caliper, then wiggle them out? Or drain the fluid, remove caliper, and hit it with compressed air? I see there's a "brake caliper piston removal tool" that looks like inverted pliers with padding, is that one more "gadget" I don't need, or are these actually the right way to go? Is a set of standard pliers with a rag to protect the piston a big no-no?

Last time I did the first thing, just make sure all pistons are as far out as you can get them before removing any to make it as easy as possible.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In my head my plan was to remove the pads, and block the (2) pistons with thinner and thinner pieces of wood, so they come out evenly. I’m not sure how I will know when they’re “almost” out. If I go too far will they just fall out and brake fluid will splash everywhere and they’ll get dinged up and I’ll have to replace them hurray brakes are fun?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone know where to pick up custom brake lines, or a set of braided stainless lines for my K8 SV650 that have a angled bend in the banjo fitting?

I'm planning to buy a radial master cylinder like the Brembo RCS and putting SV1000 calipers on my bike. I have some galfer braided lines, but the straight banjo fitting I think may bind or require a pretty severe bend in the line to go down to the calipers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

In my head my plan was to remove the pads, and block the (2) pistons with thinner and thinner pieces of wood, so they come out evenly. I’m not sure how I will know when they’re “almost” out. If I go too far will they just fall out and brake fluid will splash everywhere and they’ll get dinged up and I’ll have to replace them hurray brakes are fun?

It's not that dramatic cause they move super slowly, if you ding one a little you can clean it up later. If one comes out before you expect, just shove it back in a couple of mm and block it up accordingly until the other one comes out, I often just use the handles of a set of pliers or whatever comes to hand, it's not rocket surgery. They are usually a similar length to their diameter as a rough guide.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Anyone know where to pick up custom brake lines, or a set of braided stainless lines for my K8 SV650 that have a angled bend in the banjo fitting?

I'm planning to buy a radial master cylinder like the Brembo RCS and putting SV1000 calipers on my bike. I have some galfer braided lines, but the straight banjo fitting I think may bind or require a pretty severe bend in the line to go down to the calipers.

I installed Galfer lines on my Ninja 250 and HEL on my Ninja 650. HEL seems to have a kit for the K8. Not sure about the specific banjo bolts but you can email the guys and I’m sure they’ll customize it for you. They were really responsive when I contacted them.

https://www.helperformance.com/hel-full-length-race-braided-brake-lines-for-suzuki-sv650-n-k3-k8-2003-2008

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I've used https://www.venhillusa.com/ for custom length lines and variable degree banjos. One caveat is that their line and banjo fittings are specific to their own products i.e. you can't just buy their banjos and use your stock line or vice versa you have to match their lines and their banjos.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

It's not that dramatic

Talk about anti-climactic... also I was overthinking the multiple-pistons thing, there's only one on the rear.

Question regarding the MC, I was expecting the whole assembly to be straight, is it strange that the MC -- pushrod -- yoke/clevis/pin is at an angle (in the photo the top half is kinked off to the right, or I guess on the bike that would be 'down' towards the ground)? Or is that normal given the bell crank 'swings' to move everything?

Edit: Also just checking, I should be cleaning with brake cleaner, and lubing with brake fluid, yah?

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 9, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can clean with whatever you like provided you get it surgical, lube with brake fluid or sometimes the seals come with special grease that dissolves in brake fluid.

You have to take that rod out to know if it's bent or just pointing to the side, why did you stop??

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

epswing posted:

Talk about anti-climactic... also I was overthinking the multiple-pistons thing, there's only one on the rear.

Question regarding the MC, I was expecting the whole assembly to be straight, is it strange that the MC -- pushrod -- yoke/clevis/pin is at an angle (in the photo the top half is kinked off to the right, or I guess on the bike that would be 'down' towards the ground)? Or is that normal given the bell crank 'swings' to move everything?

Edit: Also just checking, I should be cleaning with brake cleaner, and lubing with brake fluid, yah?

Remove the dust boot. You'll probably find a joint that allows the rod to wiggle around a bit, that now is just tilted to one side a bit. If the rod is actually bent, it sounds like it's hosed. Check the service manual to see if there are any drawings of the pin, to figure out if it's supposed to be bent. I think it shouldn't but i've seen weirder engineering choices in my life.

Cleaning the parts with brake cleaner is fine, but make sure to not get any rubber in contact with brake cleaner, and all of it is completely evaporated and blown out of all passages before assembling.

Before assembling, put brake fluid on all internal surfaces, including the rubber seals.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

it was a 05 sportster right?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Seems like assembly 24 can wiggle on top of assembly 22.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is how basically every rear mc ever made has to work if you stop and think about it yeah

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

LimaBiker posted:

Cleaning the parts with brake cleaner is fine, but make sure to not get any rubber in contact with brake cleaner, and all of it is completely evaporated and blown out of all passages before assembling.

Before assembling, put brake fluid on all internal surfaces, including the rubber seals.

The caliper has a couple rubber dust boots. Is brake cleaner to rubber what (DOT3/4) brake fluid is to paint? Or not a big deal just wipe it off after?

I don’t have a good sense of chemicals and their severity of contact with things they shouldn’t come into contact with.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Brake cleaner will do bad stuff to most kinds of rubber, but it's pretty slow going. It may not be the best idea to leave them soaking in brake cleaner overnight, but if you just spray them with it and wipe them down afterwards it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MetaJew posted:

If you're in the US, Spiegler USA can put together whatever you want in most any color you want.

If you just want stainless lines with an angled banjo, look for a hydraulic shop / hydraulic service place near you on your map app of choice. Chances are they can put something together while you wait.