Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I can't believe that Glenn never realized that Mac doing the whoosh noises was to add sound to his karate chops.

I’d never thought about it but I could have probably gone either way, it’s still pretty funny if it’s like little breaths like you do inbetween workout reps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Annabel Pee posted:

I’d never thought about it but I could have probably gone either way, it’s still pretty funny if it’s like little breaths like you do inbetween workout reps.

Yea I always thought it was just him doing the breathing he'd see in martial arts movies and not actually knowing why they do it so he just makes noise. Not making a swoosh noise because his hand is cutting through the wind so fast.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

oh wow totally forgot about that scene. totally counts AND might be the most severe (implied) damage done to a non gang member.

Charlie does say "I think I may have killed a kid" after he wails on only one kid in the bike gang.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Super Deuce posted:

Yea I always thought it was just him doing the breathing he'd see in martial arts movies and not actually knowing why they do it so he just makes noise. Not making a swoosh noise because his hand is cutting through the wind so fast.

No, that's definitely the swoosh noise from cutting through the wind so fast. I know because I used to make the same noises when I was a kid.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like that they had Kid Mac doing that too, in the Christmas flashback.

EEEEEEEE, a Cabbage Patch Doll!!!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

No, that's definitely the swoosh noise from cutting through the wind so fast. I know because I used to make the same noises when I was a kid.

Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can move my hands fast enough to create wind?

Morpheus: No. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmrD_LbdzU&t=1185s

This is a top tier kung fu flick in general BTW.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Super Deuce posted:

I can't believe you're serious. Have you ever seen a Kung fu movie? They're non-stop sound effects of kicks and punches flying through the air, not people doing breathing exercises.

I thought Glenn was joking too.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

ChesterJT posted:

I can't believe you're serious. Have you ever seen a Kung fu movie? They're non-stop sound effects of kicks and punches flying through the air, not people doing breathing exercises.

I thought Glenn was joking too.

They also have the actors doing breathing exercises because that's part of martial arts. There are lots of different martial arts movies, you know.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

They also have the actors doing breathing exercises because that's part of martial arts. There are lots of different martial arts movies, you know.

I've never seen one where they sit around doing breathing exercises, no. I mean watch that clip just a couple posts up. Do you think it's just a coincidence every swish and whoosh sound coincides with a punch kick or flip? Or are you maybe thinking of all the yelling and such, ala Bruce Lee movies? He's doing that while fighting but it's clearly not the same sounds we're talking about.

This has I Acquit written all over it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Reason will prevail.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEYegnQqNc

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ChesterJT posted:

I've never seen one where they sit around doing breathing exercises, no. I mean watch that clip just a couple posts up. Do you think it's just a coincidence every swish and whoosh sound coincides with a punch kick or flip? Or are you maybe thinking of all the yelling and such, ala Bruce Lee movies? He's doing that while fighting but it's clearly not the same sounds we're talking about.

This has I Acquit written all over it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was gobsmacked at this. No action movie of any kind has ever had any character make whooshing noises with their mouth as "breathing exercises" that perfectly coincide with their punches and kicks. I know that's a strong claim but I'm willing to risk it. It's like Glenn has never even seen a child playing. Why does he think that kids make a "bang! bang!" noise when playing with toy guns?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

if you didn't think mac was making those noises for the lols then i really have no idea man. it's like the most obvious thing possible.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

the noises are necessary to his technique they make hsi strikes 12% more effective and you better believe there's nothing funny about it

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I feel like some are being purposefully obtuse about this. You breathe a specific way as you do things in martial arts. As you're doing strikes. It's perfectly normal to think Mac heard this in a movie, which many will have such breathing, and not understand what the breathing is about and emulate it incorrectly. It's not about whether he was doing it for "lols" or anything. It's just about what he was specifically making the noise for. Either the swoosh or a breathing thing. It literally doesn't matter, but it's absolutely reasonable to think it was either thing he was doing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Mac wasn't doing wooshing sounds for the lols, he did it because that's what it sounds like when someone is doing karate on TV and he wanted to look cool, it's mac. And he's wooshing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah it's pretty clearly just Mac grunting like the Power Rangers do when they're fighting because he saw it on tv and thinks it's what real judokendokaratejiujitsu masters do.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
IIRC Ewan McGregor made lightsaber noises when he was playing Obi-Wan Kenobi until George Lucas was like "please stop we will add those in post"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

It's perfectly normal to think Mac heard this in a movie, which many will have such breathing, and not understand what the breathing is about and emulate it incorrectly.

Anyone who believes this IS A SAVAGE AND AN IDIOT. Please find a clip from a kung fu movie where a guy is making breathing sounds like this. There's so many, please find one.

The first three movies I found on youtube. Not sure what to think, hard to hear over all the heavy breathing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUNpiYWdec&t=780s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQ8svpD7_Y&t=1996s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLgZlXlkb5I&t=2669s

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 8, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pattonesque posted:

IIRC Ewan McGregor made lightsaber noises when he was playing Obi-Wan Kenobi until George Lucas was like "please stop we will add those in post"

You can see Laura Dern go "pew pew" in Last Jedi, further cementing its position as the best of the sequel trilogy

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've seen plenty of videos of grown men engaged in mortal struggles, and they're almost always making noises of some sort. Sometimes the noises are made for the sake of the viewer; sometimes the noises are a necessary component of their physicality.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Hazo posted:

Yeah it's pretty clearly just Mac grunting like the Power Rangers do when they're fighting because he saw it on tv and thinks it's what real judokendokaratejiujitsu masters do.

he's not grunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's making swoosh noieses!!!!!!!!!!! guahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdVDWC1lg0

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

he's not grunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's making swoosh noieses!!!!!!!!!!! guahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEdVDWC1lg0

Some people don't understand the difference between foley and kiai and those people will never be fully human in the way the rest of us are, it's sad really

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
swoosh noises gang

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"We have the money to buy the remainder of the stadium where this team has played for over a century"

"Yeah well a lot of the property laws were written in the 1400s, so their official response is 'we'll think about it when we feel like it.'"

drat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I figured he was making swooshing noises like a little kid making his own sound effects while playing make believe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Super Deuce posted:

I feel like some are being purposefully obtuse about this. You breathe a specific way as you do things in martial arts. As you're doing strikes. It's perfectly normal to think Mac heard this in a movie, which many will have such breathing, and not understand what the breathing is about and emulate it incorrectly. It's not about whether he was doing it for "lols" or anything. It's just about what he was specifically making the noise for. Either the swoosh or a breathing thing. It literally doesn't matter, but it's absolutely reasonable to think it was either thing he was doing.

This take is just so insane to me. I don't think it's perfectly normal for Mac to have heard about breathing techniques while watching martial arts movies. I haven't seen a lot of these, but I've never heard any of them talk about breathing techniques. He's never taken a class to learn any techniques, and all of his moves are random flailing, so I doubt he ever pays enough attention to get any actual technical info from the movies. Mac probably watches these movies with Charlie while doing karate chops along with the movie to look like a badass and makes the whoosh sounds because he hears them in the terrible foley work.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cojawfee posted:

This take is just so insane to me. I don't think it's perfectly normal for Mac to have heard about breathing techniques while watching martial arts movies. I haven't seen a lot of these, but I've never heard any of them talk about breathing techniques. He's never taken a class to learn any techniques, and all of his moves are random flailing, so I doubt he ever pays enough attention to get any actual technical info from the movies. Mac probably watches these movies with Charlie while doing karate chops along with the movie to look like a badass and makes the whoosh sounds because he hears them in the terrible foley work.

When I was 10 my friends and I would make kiai noises pretending we were power rangers in our backyards because that's what we saw on tv.

Mac is a manchild doing the same thing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

if you didn't think mac was making those noises for the lols then i really have no idea man. it's like the most obvious thing possible.

i should clarify my above point

the character of mac is making the whoosing noises to emulate the sound effects you hear in classic kung fu movies. he is not doing exaggerated or controlled breathing or whatever weird thing glenn howerton or the people in this thread made up bc they apparently don't understand the comedy behind it.

"mac is making those noises for the lols" is not saying mac in the universe of the show is doing it to be funny. rob the actor is making mac do those noises bc it's what a grown up manchild would do who believes he's a cool karate guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHroYC5D8W8

this clip alone is pure evidence of that point. both characters are clearly trying to make the same noises that you hear being artificially added in the clips ChesterJT posted below. anyone who disagrees is just clearly objectively incorrect. even glenn admitted he was wrong.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wait, has watching the show for 15 years made us have the same discussions as the gang, or have we been watching the show for 15 years because it reminds us of ourselves and we like familiar things? Are we the JerksTM?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
...I don't know if you guys are all doing double-dog irony or what but I'm missing the joke. Occam's razor applied here: Mac is just a really strong guy with good power muscles, and the boom mics are close enough to pick up the wooshes and he does his "karate" moves. Not real martial arts (that's the joke) but still a lot of red meat behind the moves.

Obviously they could cut the woosh noises out, or have the actors do the scene in "slow-mo" then speed it up after, but it's funny some beefcake is doing these goofy moves with dangerous intensity.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

...I don't know if you guys are all doing double-dog irony or what but I'm missing the joke. Occam's razor applied here: Mac is just a really strong guy with good power muscles, and the boom mics are close enough to pick up the wooshes and he does his "karate" moves. Not real martial arts (that's the joke) but still a lot of red meat behind the moves.

Obviously they could cut the woosh noises out, or have the actors do the scene in "slow-mo" then speed it up after, but it's funny some beefcake is doing these goofy moves with dangerous intensity.

Did some of you not watch the most recent podcast? Rob literally says it's supposed to be Mac making wooshing sounds to simulate the sound of objects cutting through air. You can see him making the sounds with his face in the mop scene in the bathroom, and you can see both the actors doing it in the Country Mac scene, it's not just actual sounds getting generated by Rob's enormous muscles.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you guys are so into karate you should take one karate class.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If you guys are so into karate you should take one karate class.

You know who takes classes? People who have something to learn. So why would I take a Karate class?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mac is definitely making swoosh noises like a child, but if any of the gang questioned him about it he would 100% claim he’s just doing breathing exercises to empower his strikes and punches.

Therefore both theories/parties are correct. :colbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

"hey dude why are you making that noise with your mouth when you do karate chops?"

"im not making a noise, charlie.. this is a natural breathing response to the swift, precise, and extremely deadly attacks im performing. i cant sit here and explain the body chemistry to you right now."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Literally half of my Karate class is breathing exercises, and the other half is all of us attempting to recreate Evo Moment #37 from Street Fighter Evolution Champion Series 2004.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You are wearing a gi. Yeah, that is the gear. That's the only gear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reason will prevail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

That's my karate trophy! I found that in the trash one day ...

Yeah, that makes sense.