Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

roy harder posted:

I've been struggling finding something similar within the same price range and I don't want to buy second hand. My options other than the one mentioned seems to be different Behringer mixers, but as you say the Midas is also a kind of Behringer now.

I thought inserts would be a good way to use different pedal effects and having them on every channel seemed flexible, but it may also be that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm not that concerned about the mixer having a real 90's sound, so to speak, it's usually just how it ends up for me when making music anyway. :)

Normally I'm all for getting new gear, especially because synths hold value so well and often the used price isn't far off from the new price, but mixers are basically everywhere used. So many businesses need them (example: churches often use them) for various reasons, you can usually find a great mixer for half the MSRP in good condition.

New for a mixer would make sense if you had a specific feature you were looking for and didn't want to wait. It sounds like you're trying to figure things out, so that's the perfect excuse to buy whatever used mixer you find first, try it out, and sell it for what you paid when it doesn't do what you need. Repeat until you get to something you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fwiw the Midas DM series is all solid, they're the very definition of no-frills mixers though. My shop has three of the DM12s in our rental inventory and they're our default rental board for just about any common use and they've held up particularly well. They're a bit of an oddball board because they're not originally a Midas board but were designed by DDA, a company that I haven't ever been able to find out much about but was either a subsidiary of Midas, or were bought out by Midas at some point. So it's basically a not-Midas board produced by not-Midas now... so take that as you will.

But that said, I'd echo what everybody else is saying, that you can probably get a good Mackie for less. Inserts per channel are honestly kind of a weird legacy aspect that isn't really necessary unless you're using a ton of outboard gear in a very specific configuration. There's not a lot of reason to use inserts over just running whatever through a pedal and straight into the board, unless there's an application I'm overlooking. It's not like you have any control over the insert send/return levels, it'll just be at unity.

If I just needed a vanilla mixer I'd 100% buy a used Mackie personally, they last forever and sound fine.

I'd personally be wary of buying used Behringer boards, not because of the quality of the board themselves, but because a lot of people who buy them because they're cheap also treat them like they're cheap. I know one used music gear store owner who refuses to buy them because they've had too many fail in the shop or right after being sold. That's probably a risk with any used mixer though (or really, any used gear).

edit: also for some reason I've never figured out, a lot of older (like ~2000-2005) Xenyx mixers could develop crosstalk between channels, especially between the two sides of a stereo channel. I assume it's not a problem anymore since I haven't heard it mentioned online in recent memory, but it's a risk you run with used gear, if Behringer mixers that are that old are even in circulation anymore

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 6, 2022

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...
Thanks for all that! I will look into more second hand options, but my quick searches around where I live didn't bear any results. The thought of importing second hand gear seems a bit daunting. I'll think about it and do some more research.

As you say, I am trying to figure things out. The things I want to connect: Roland XP10, Behringer RD9 and TD3 and Sonicware Liven 8bit warps, all controlled by a Polyend Tracker. Got the tracker today, and will have to buy a bunch of cables before I test everything, but would this work without a midi-merger/splitter-thing?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the honeymoon period was sort of crap but im coming around on my polyend tracker now that ive put some actual hours into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXAFTtFcxc

show me all your tracker made tunes, hardware, software, whatever. its a new paradigm to me but it feels very comfy so far.

roy harder
Jul 14, 2005

The things I've seen...

Mr. Sharps posted:

the honeymoon period was sort of crap but im coming around on my polyend tracker now that ive put some actual hours into it

Did you use trackers back then? I dabbled with OctaMed quite a bit, and found the Polyend tracker easy to get into. Granted, all I want to do now is try to play old .mod-files on it.

Nice track! And rack!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

It doesn't feel right to not credit the person who wrote the words, or the person whose voice is used.
The wrong g part would be claiming it all for myself.

Well maybe we better be clear on what trump of doom means then. I was thinking more along the lines of what I do for fun sometimes, which is run Donald Trump rallies through some slicing and effects. I just searched for the phrase trump of doom and it apparently means the final judgment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trackers are better than piano rolls, not taking any debate at this time.

(that bizion beat owns)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

roy harder posted:

Did you use trackers back then? I dabbled with OctaMed quite a bit, and found the Polyend tracker easy to get into. Granted, all I want to do now is try to play old .mod-files on it.

Nice track! And rack!

ive never used any tracker type software/hardware before. ive gotten in deep with the arranger in the octatrack which is like a lovely little tracker in its own right so it wasn't hard to get settled in, but the limited sound design offerings turned me off somewhat starting out. now that ive gotten comfortable with sampling into it i see that its a very quick workflow that rewards commitment more than the sort of monomaniacal elektron noodling im used to. i do wish it would allow me to invert the modulation options though, not having inverted envelopes hurts

xzzy posted:

Trackers are better than piano rolls, not taking any debate at this time.

(that bizion beat owns)

agreed. never was able to get on with piano rolls. my ideal daw would be one where you get to snap step sequencers together like lego blocks to build up tracks which doesn't seem to be very far off from how trackers do it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

agreed. never was able to get on with piano rolls. my ideal daw would be one where you get to snap step sequencers together like lego blocks to build up tracks which doesn't seem to be very far off from how trackers do it

SunVox has a number of usability issues but it does exactly that. You set up a sequence of notes (tracker style) and at the bottom it gets represented as a box that you can drag around. Make more sequences and you get more blocks to arrange on the timeline. Kinda like a piano roll of patterns.

M8 and LSDJ do it too, but it's more abstract. Each phrase, which is a sequence of 16 steps, has a hex value assigned to it. You can arrange those hex values however you need to sequence the song.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Well maybe we better be clear on what trump of doom means then. I was thinking more along the lines of what I do for fun sometimes, which is run Donald Trump rallies through some slicing and effects. I just searched for the phrase trump of doom and it apparently means the final judgment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYeTmHHZQM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, you should give credit where due then, but do it. In fact I think I might.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

By all accounts SunVox is brilliant, but I’ve never been high enough to avoid instant confusion when I sit down in front of it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Looks like we're getting more teensy/tracker-based grooveboxes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPxnm5jN1M

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I tried out sample players in VCV rack with a couple recordings of bubbles and running water in the aquarium, and a ratcheting sprinkler.
I put one of the signals through a comb filter, and some wave folding / saturation.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I tried out sample players in VCV rack with a couple recordings of bubbles and running water in the aquarium, and a ratcheting sprinkler.
I put one of the signals through a comb filter, and some wave folding / saturation.

Water elementals fighting turtles deep underneath the sleeping city. That's what this is about.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Is anyone going to Knobcon in IL this weekend?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

I just noted from the VPME QD manual that "samples can be any length, up to the size of the memory card", which makes me think I should load a bank up with snippets of Reagan speeches or something

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

net work error posted:

I happened to pick up an SH-01a at the same time I accidentally slipped into modular and finally gave it a go today and I have to say it's really great. The hands on nature of it makes it quick to get going and it has a pretty good range. I was skeptical initially but I dig it now.

e:
I also came across this Mathew Johnson video on him using the SH-101 and it's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_g_hDGTcM

I have also only just gotten into modular, so early in fact that I don't even have a proper sequencer yet. Just been using the Microbrute or Pamela. I have heard the new ALM ASQ1 is similar to the SH -01 sequencer. Anyone here have any hands on experience with it? I make dark ambient if anyone has any suggestions for a better sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZcrLm44lU

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 7, 2022

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I was inspired by B33rChiller's bubbles so I recorded some bubble noises and tore them apart disgustingly. The Befaco Lich is set up so it's comb filter -> distortion -> LPF -> comb filter. It's one of my favourite things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvl1mB1S7-Q

I made the Lich patch, you can get it here: https://www.rebeltech.org/patch-library/patch/_Lich_flunginator

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Slore Tactician posted:

Is anyone going to Knobcon in IL this weekend?

Well I’m certainly going now that I know about it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I love knobs

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had a failed attempt to get a bivalent vaxx today (gently caress you, Walgreen's, I took time off work and had this booked!), but I stopped by guitar center and ended up dumping that Xone:4D that I had for $400; this was after failing to generate interest here, and the vibe I had on eBay was maybe I was gonna get $500 but if I wanted more than that I was gonna have to wait a while; guitar center was up front that they'd relist it for $700 and expect it to move at that price, but, they have more reach than me and I don't really care because it gets it out of my space and that's more than twice what I paid.

They had a used Mimeophon in their catalog that could ship to me, so, I guess I own a Mimeophon now, or will soon. Morphegene was already on my short list and they should play nice together.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I had a failed attempt to get a bivalent vaxx today (gently caress you, Walgreen's, I took time off work and had this booked!), but I stopped by guitar center and ended up dumping that Xone:4D that I had for $400; this was after failing to generate interest here, and the vibe I had on eBay was maybe I was gonna get $500 but if I wanted more than that I was gonna have to wait a while; guitar center was up front that they'd relist it for $700 and expect it to move at that price, but, they have more reach than me and I don't really care because it gets it out of my space and that's more than twice what I paid.

They had a used Mimeophon in their catalog that could ship to me, so, I guess I own a Mimeophon now, or will soon. Morphegene was already on my short list and they should play nice together.

Congrats on the sale!

Why did Walgreens turn you down for the bivalve juice? Too soon after your previous booster?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

Congrats on the sale!

Why did Walgreens turn you down for the bivalve juice? Too soon after your previous booster?
Yeah, why did they... CLAM up?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
After doing more research on a modular sequencer, I found that the MI Marbles what I am looking for. It can do drums beats quickly, and I can try some random melody generation as well. If I want to something more compositional instead of exploratory I can always use the CV outs on my Akai force to sequence everything. I found a store in Australia that still had a few in stock so now I have to wait for it to get shipped to Canada.

Now to find some drum modules.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Erica Pico Drums and Befaco Kickall are good IME.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So, uh, :rip: but I plugged my OP-1 into my SP404 to sample some synths and it threw my OP-1 into a factory reset. I lost 4 projects and god knows how many custom samples.

God drat it, I wish I backed this thing up more often but that’s kinda why I got it, to not have to rely on a computer.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

net work error posted:

Congrats on the sale!

thanks, and it's much worse than that, I haven't boosted in like 8 months because I'm "only" 41 and Vermont is hardcore on gatekeeping and paperwork. I am super eligable.

They had no juice, even though I had booked online, gotten multiple confirmations including this morning, and the staff acted surly (because this was clearly an ongoing trend) and the lead pharmacist (only other masked person in there :laugh:) with fire in his eyes said "COMPLAIN TO CORPORATE", and I could tell, he really wanted me to! So I did.

Whatever, but it's a half day taken off work for no reason and then spent driving. If I hadn't gotten a Mimeophon out of it, I might be upset :laugh:

RackBrute 6U showed up today. Looking all lonely and empty, but at least I have more space than modules, with enough stuff already ordered that the next few weeks should have a couple little christmas events (E520 should be here by monday, E342 sometime after, we'll see how long it takes Guitar Center to get me the mimeophon...)

Rolo posted:

So, uh, :rip: but I plugged my OP-1 into my SP404 to sample some synths and it threw my OP-1 into a factory reset. I lost 4 projects and god knows how many custom samples.

God drat it, I wish I backed this thing up more often but that’s kinda why I got it, to not have to rely on a computer.

:( That sucks and I am really sorry to hear it but thanks for making me feel this much better about deciding to get off the TE train when my OP-1 audio port bit it and cash out into a pure synth. I love the form factor of the thing and it was fantastic out in the woods and stuff, but I'm skeptical of QE from a company who responds to a 10 month old unit with a slightly fucky audio jack by just issuing a full refund.

edit: anyone know if it's possible to get extra rackbrute hardware? It occurs to me that if I could get 2 more of the inner-screw-hole piece that the Link Connect screws into, then I could drill a couple holes in the NiftyCase and have it be one unit.

Hmm, maybe all I need is big nuts with an inner thread diameter it will screw into, and then carefully mount those....

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 7, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

all I need is big nuts

i got you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889777 for more info

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Anyone know what's up with that pig's huge nutttz?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

while i still need to get a proper sequencer set up for my modular, i managed to get some results i'm pretty happy with out of the tb-3p0 applet for ornament and crime today by modulating it with some synced lfos from pams. my goal sound is something between beatless detroit techno and caterina barbieri.

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/mo...=social_sharing

Pretty simple patch:

pams clocking/modulating 2 insances of tb-3p0, which are sending pitch to a make noise st0 and a verbos foundation oscillator
oscillators are going through a channel each of blades and then into a dplpg channel, triggered by tb-3p0
clep diaz modulating shape on the st0 and harmonics on the foundation osc
doepfer 118-2 very slighty modulating the pitch of the oscs so theyre slightly out of tune every now and then

while its not enough for a complete track i think the technique resulted in a nice proof of concept track at least!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

pams clocking/modulating 2 insances of tb-3p0,

enjoyed this - this is where my brain has been recently (hawaii coast? 50-50 between west coast buchlatrash and very straightforward Roland sound stuff. if the make noise transistor thingies count as LPGs then so does Ripples :colbert:)

hadn't yet done two of the same on hemispheres but thats a good candidate. Might be time to install one of the forks on mine.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

enjoyed this - this is where my brain has been recently (hawaii coast? 50-50 between west coast buchlatrash and very straightforward Roland sound stuff. if the make noise transistor thingies count as LPGs then so does Ripples :colbert:)

hadn't yet done two of the same on hemispheres but thats a good candidate. Might be time to install one of the forks on mine.

hey thanks! im using the benisphere fork at the moment which i think has everything off hemispheres plus tb-3p0, clep diaz emulations, grids emulation and a couple other things

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

i knew someone would but there's no other name for that part

I used to drive by this all the time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what are you talking about? there's lots of other things to call them: balls, nads, huevos, nards, testes, the boys, cojones, bollocks, plums, goolies, family jewels

jeeze louise use some creativity!!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excuse me, this is the synth thread. All my creativity stems from the random event generator on my polyend tracker.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

It doesn't feel right to not credit the person who wrote the words, or the person whose voice is used.
The wrong g part would be claiming it all for myself.

Well that's me and Dan Carlin respectively and I can't speak for him but from my end just knock yourself out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All my creativity stems from video game music that gets stuck in my head and warped to poo poo into something interesting while I’m trying to sleep, and then completely forgotten by morning.

it also stems from random bullshit to be fair

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I made a loop last night and when I got the basics down I realized it was basically the brinstar theme from the metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

i have an idea for a collaboration thread and i'm just gonna post it and participate myself even though i don't have any idea what i'm doing, am barely musical, and the only music I've ever shared publicly before is terminally CSPAMmy poo poo like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV42_EDkvSk

Expect a thread in 15 mins, i gotta work soon!