Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I made a thread for today's thing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011756

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

FYI the Apple Card does not offer this protection.

Bwahahahahahahahaha the motherfuckers know exactly what they’re doing

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
S4 is at 78% and needs to be charged twice a day. Getting a new watch today even if it's a discounted S7 because these are trash

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't think I changed anything or updated recently, but suddenly my Mac is allowing double presses of the Apple Watch button for unlocking 1password, approving admin privileges/ etc. which I am really enjoying since my TouchID isn't available (laptop closed behind monitor)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know Battery Health % chat sucks for those that don't suffer it, but yeah I have a < 2 year old S6 that is at 81% and the inability for them to make a device that encourages you to wear it 24/7 that can barely eek out a day on its 6th iteration is kinda ridiculous. I like the thing, but that's the biggest letdown for me by a mile and I don't know if I'll get a new one especially after spending $400 or however much it was so recently.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
TLDR

Series 8 brings nothing new to the table

Apple Watch pro is 800 dollars and only has 36 hour battery

Go buy an S7 at a discount and you’ll be fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

TLDR

Series 8 brings nothing new to the table

Apple Watch pro is 800 dollars and only has 36 hour battery

Go buy an S7 at a discount and you’ll be fine.

What a wet fart of a launch. Guess my S4 with a 78% battery gets another year of life. Or maybe I should pony up the $80 for a battery "replacement."

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
First iteration of any new apple product always is very lackluster and will get immensely improved upon but im still gonna snag an ultra once my budget allows it. Still a ton of neat features and I like the big screen even though I was a small watch person so far. Iron man distance for workouts is pretty good!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zwille posted:

First iteration of any new apple product always is very lackluster and will get immensely improved upon but im still gonna snag an ultra once my budget allows it. Still a ton of neat features and I like the big screen even though I was a small watch person so far. Iron man distance for workouts is pretty good!

I mean you do you man I’m mostly a gym rat who does machine based cardio, weightlifting and pool swimming so I’m gonna go buy a cheap S7 tomorrow if the stores are doing clearance sales and I’ll be 100% fine.

The low power mode is also coming to all models as a software update so there’s literally no reason to upgrade or buy the latest and greatest.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 7, 2022

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean you do you man I’m mostly a gym rat who does machine based cardio, weightlifting and pool swimming so I’m gonna go buy a cheap S7 tomorrow if the stores are doing clearance sales and I’ll be 100% fine.

The low power mode is also coming to all models as a software update so there’s literally no reason to upgrade or buy the latest and greatest.
Tim’s apology letter to you personally is in the mail.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

fourwood posted:

Tim’s apology letter to you personally is in the mail.

Thanks Tim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thim

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Lmao the ultra is loving €1.000 in Germany, no thanks

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zwille posted:

Lmao the ultra is loving €1.000 in Germany, no thanks

That’s loving insane. Absolutely not worth the cost for 36 hours.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I’d have been down for 800 but now I’ll wait until next year. Also the band options are lame, white, grey and black for the trail edition, uhhhh. Black looks kinda nice with the orange tab but eh, not my price, besides I don’t need need it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

What a wet fart of a launch. Guess my S4 with a 78% battery gets another year of life. Or maybe I should pony up the $80 for a battery "replacement."

This is the exact same situation I'm in. Though I think I'm going to pony up for the battery "replacement" for my SS Space Black. Really not liking how that color became an Hermes exclusive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

.Z. posted:

This is the exact same situation I'm in. Though I think I'm going to pony up for the battery "replacement" for my SS Space Black. Really not liking how that color became an Hermes exclusive.

That seems like a waste of money. You could sell or trade-in your current watch and get a new 7 or 8 for a reasonable price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not that history is necessarily any reliable indicator, but how much are old units typically discounted after a new watch hits? Like I’m all about a last-gen S7 to replace my S4, but honestly if it’s like $50 or 80 or something I might just get an 8.

Obviously depends on the vendor, I guess.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There’s significantly more than just battery life here.

Clear the ultra isn’t for everyone, but for specific use case people that do more extreme environmental stuff.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Not that history is necessarily any reliable indicator, but how much are old units typically discounted after a new watch hits? Like I’m all about a last-gen S7 to replace my S4, but honestly if it’s like $50 or 80 or something I might just get an 8.

Tomorrow I’m gonna make the rounds to my local shops to find out but the series 7 has gone on sale online on Amazon a few days ago so we’ll find out how much further it drops soon

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There’s significantly more than just battery life here.

Clear the ultra isn’t for everyone, but for specific use case people that do more extreme environmental stuff.

There’s no real reason to buy this ultra model over a Garmin that will give you a month or indefinite solar battery along with gps and stuff for the same price if you’re the sort of person who gets lost in the wilderness, 36 hours is too little time to go on a long hike or camping trip with

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, this is grabbing at features in midair because *oops* we need the wearable division to bring in higher per-unit revenues because we forgot to have a halo SKU.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think of you have a watch 5 or older , and assuming it is a few years old, updating now is fine.

Now, whether you get the 8 versus a discounted 7 is super debatable and I would say do whatever is better price wise.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Ultra also introduces a new band size so people upgrading have to just deal with either losing their old bands or some third party adapter lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My wife is due for a new watch so it's just a matter of an SE versus an 8. Have I pretty much summarized the differences?

No always on display on SE
No Blood ox and ECG app on SE
No Temp sensor on SE
SE has a smaller screen, I think it's the same size as her S2

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Pants Donkey posted:

The Ultra also introduces a new band size so people upgrading have to just deal with either losing their old bands or some third party adapter lol

The large size bands are compatible.

41/42 is one size, 44/45/49 is the other

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oops, brain fart on my end.

Well, if you want a large S8 in Stainless Steel then the Ultra is the same price which isn’t too bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

They’ve been on clearance the past month already. Costco had the Series 7 for $280 a couple weeks ago.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is the new SE basically an S5? It has the old 40/44 sizes

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know Battery Health % chat sucks for those that don't suffer it, but yeah I have a < 2 year old S6 that is at 81% and the inability for them to make a device that encourages you to wear it 24/7 that can barely eek out a day on its 6th iteration is kinda ridiculous. I like the thing, but that's the biggest letdown for me by a mile and I don't know if I'll get a new one especially after spending $400 or however much it was so recently.

Yeah, same boat.

(And I didn't realize that battery health indicator was a thing. Mine says 76% and also recommends service.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 7, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m fairly interested in seeing what the new low power mode does when it comes to usability vs longevity. I would love to be able to toggle certain things on and off at a more granular level, but we all know that won’t be happening so I guess if I can eke out whatever they said, 36? hours on a charge in LP then I might give that a try when I upgrade, just to see.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

According to the websites the low power mode will give you 36 hours on a single charge while still allowing you to use the features. so that is essentially double the battery life, which is cool so let’s see what gets compromised.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

According to the websites the low power mode will give you 36 hours on a single charge while still allowing you to use the features. so that is essentially double the battery life, which is cool so let’s see what gets compromised.

They explicitly told no auto activity recording so i'm expecting stuff beyond steps to not get recorded

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

They explicitly told no auto activity recording so i'm expecting stuff beyond steps to not get recorded

Yeah but either ways If you’re gonna work out you’re gonna turn that stuff on manually yes?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I never personally found the AOD to drain the battery any faster compared to having it off. Would suck to have the lower power mode to force it off.

Apple offering me a whopping $25 trade-in for my 44mm LTE S6. It's got some scuffs on the corner of the glass but, drat, 25 whole dollars. Guess I'll limp through another year of a poo poo battery with low power mode.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I never personally found the AOD to drain the battery any faster compared to having it off. Would suck to have the lower power mode to force it off.

Apple offering me a whopping $25 trade-in for my 44mm LTE S6. It's got some scuffs on the corner of the glass but, drat, 25 whole dollars. Guess I'll limp through another year of a poo poo battery with low power mode.

$55 for my S4SS, guess some poor bastard on swappa or eBay will get it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People already denting it? :lol:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SlowBloke posted:

No background activity detection. I'm pretty sure you can still tell it "hey I'm starting a run right now" via the workout app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That’s insanely huge loooll just duct tape an iPad mini on your wrist why don’t you

Also is it me or do those things show dents and scratches?!